DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Tricia! :wave:

Not at the top of the priority list?? :what:

I love these little guys...

:giggle:

Will we be able to use MORE than the 5 alotted on this site? I hope so!! :happydance:

I have to agree with Spellz - the background colors (grays & white) need to be darker - I have excellent vision and have problems reading those too! :)

They are called "conversations" over there.

Will our pm’s here be moved over there under conversations? IOW, they won’t just disappear will they?

I think what ima. grandma is saying (I think) is the old Websleuths didn't work very well but the new Websleuths worked great even on her old device.

We had members volunteer to test the forum out. That's why you are reading about posters experience with the new forum. They have already been on the new forum playing around :)
Tricia, that’s why you’re the top dog. You simplified and clarified my intent to offer reassurance to concerned or anxious members. Well done. It’s going to go great and the worries will subside.

We aim to support one another! I want you to know you are not alone.

Look at it this way!! It did not know you exist!

It knew I existed and then put me on a timeout! INSTANTLY

I can be a sensitive kind of person !!

It cracked me up tho !

Jezzzz just being put me on TO!

ROFL!!!

When I first read your posts which was on that bad fire in that ?warehouse type building (sadly I can't recall name or location eek), I thought who is this person with strange postings that sounded like a soothsayer which is not allowed lol , then duh, finally after reading a lot more of your posts, I got it. You are a riot!! I do appreciate your unique and so funny much needed sense of humor when threads are on such sad topics. So thank you very much.

Oh great news! I love the new site.

Spellz, ima.grandma, Jewels, Horror, HamSandwich & all the rest that have been testing along with me, are ya ready?! ;)
The beta crew is ride or die. We’re locked for eternity, you know that. The Spellz are cast. lol

You all are referring to bookmarks and scaring me! Are bookmarks the same thing as subscriptions?

or will all subscriptions already be "in"the new platform?

I know i posting a lot but I had huge each issues on this end with passwords and could not get in so I am now trying to catch up before the move

Well the Bookmarks to me are that I mark a thread to be bookmarked and it appears on my bookmark page on my tablet (or on a computer/laptop). I wish I could do like Spellbound did for an example.

I have no idea what "subscriptions" are but then there are so many things on present site i don't know. People post "marking my spot", what does that mean other than marking the spot. I need a dummies 101 to refer to.

Will our private messages still be there? TIA

Yes, all your private messages will be saved. However, now the PM's are called "Conversations".

You start a private conversation aka private message with someone and it looks just like a thread as you go back and forth. You can invite other's to join you.

Like I mentioned earlier you can go discuss the things we are not allowing on the public forum. You will like this new way of sending and participating in "Conversations" on the new Websleuths.

Tricia

Looking forward to trying it out but like others I’m afraid of losing tapatalk because it’s just so easy. Before I discovered it, the actual website didn’t fit on my phone screen properly and everything was too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new software will adjust to your screen size. You'll love it.

Just a suggestion!! Will you see if the company has a made a video for first time users?

I went to YT and found some but it was from like 2014.

I think that would be helpful for all of us !!

That is an excellent suggestion CARISS. I will do that. We will have an are that will have an explanation of how the basics work but a video would be a much better idea.

Thank you CARRIS.

Tricia

Tricia, that’s why you’re the top dog. You simplified and clarified my intent to offer reassurance to concerned or anxious members. Well done. It’s going to go great and the worries will subside.

Thank you ima.grandma. Your kind words really help me along the way.

Tricia

Here are the answers to some of your questions from Dave;

Will the Avatars and Signatures be brought over to the new forum?

We made it so the signatures and pictures were smaller.
Most users will be unaffected. Those users that do not fit into the new limits will have to replace these."

Will member's bookmark's be brought over

Dave: I think you are referring to internal pages that users have favorited in the browser. The urls will change but a redirect should quietly take users to the correct page.

Will we be getting more smilies?

Dave: We should be able to get the smilies back, that is my hope and expectation.

Will I still be able to find my "subscribed" threads with one easy click??"

Dave: Yes. They are called “watched threads"

More to come

These are my two favorite new options.

Forum/History: Lists the last 50 threads you have visited.

Username/Conversations: you can start a conversation and invite up to five additional participants. The initiator has these options upon starting the conversation:
• Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others
• Lock conversation (no responses will be allowed)
I do have a question I should have asked during testing. Once the pms are transferred over. Will the new pm conversions into conversations have these new options inserted retroactively or only begin with opening day?

I'm so sorry to beat this horse but I feel like the purpose of tapatalk isn't being understood, which is to be expected if one has never used it. It's not just a matter of whether the new software will work better in a mobile browser. It's about eliminating the need for browser usage all together.

I use Tapatalk exclusively for the 4 forums I follow - WS, a weather board, a scrapbook board & another general discussion board - it's one stop shopping. I have notifications for new posts on followed threads, quoted posts, new threads in specific discussion areas, plus PMs, from all 4 boards, all together in one place. There is no need to go into a browser and jump from one website to another, or wade through lists of threads I'm not interested in, trying to find out if there are any new posts on the threads I'm following. All I have to do is open the app and click on the notification I'm interested in and it takes me directly to that post/message/thread. Think walmart vs several specialty shops - separate shops are great if one has time to browse around, but not so much when you're on the go and haven't much time to check in. Just from the little bit I've looked around in the beta version, using the WS forums through the browser will significantly inconvenience usage, which makes me very sad because I've really come to love WS and feel quite at home here.

So far as visualization is concerned, TT has a night-time viewing option which gives a dark background with white text. I'm going to play around with my phone and see if I can find a way to do that in Chrome. It may help those who are having trouble reading in the new forum.

Again, I feel terrible for coming across as not sounding supportive of the move. I don't feel that way in any aspect other than my mobile usage (which is probably 90% of my WS time), and I realize how selfish and insignificant that is when compared to the big picture. I am very much looking forward to using the new forums when on my laptop, and fully support your reasons for the upgrade! [emoji172]
The new software will adjust to your screen size. You'll love it.

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

I'm so sorry to beat this horse but I feel like the purpose of tapatalk isn't being understood, which is to be expected if one has never used it. It's not just a matter of whether the new software will work better in a mobile browser. It's about eliminating the need for browser usage all together.

I use Tapatalk exclusively for the 4 forums I follow - WS, a weather board, a scrapbook board & another general discussion board - it's one stop shopping. I have notifications for new posts on followed threads, quoted posts, new threads in specific discussion areas, plus PMs, from all 4 boards, all together in one place. There is no need to go into a browser and jump from one website to another, or wade through lists of threads I'm not interested in, trying to find out if there are any new posts on the threads I'm following. All I have to do is open the app and click on the notification I'm interested in and it takes me directly to that post/message/thread. Think walmart vs several specialty shops - separate shops are great if one has time to browse around, but not so much when you're on the go and haven't much time to check in. Just from the little bit I've looked around in the beta version, using the WS forums through the browser will significantly inconvenience usage, which makes me very sad because I've really come to love WS and feel quite at home here.

So far as visualization is concerned, TT has a night-time viewing option which gives a dark background with white text. I'm going to play around with my phone and see if I can find a way to do that in Chrome. It may help those who are having trouble reading in the new forum.

Again, I feel terrible for coming across as not sounding supportive of the move. I don't feel that way in any aspect other than my mobile usage (which is probably 90% of my WS time), and I realize how selfish and insignificant that is when compared to the big picture. I am very much looking forward to using the new forums when on my laptop, and fully support your reasons for the upgrade! [emoji172]

Reading about Tapatalk at Wiki and other places, it seems our new forum platform (xenforo) would be compatible but WS would have to add something:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapatalk
[FONT=&quot]Forum software systems supported by Tapatalk are: [/FONT]phpBB3[FONT=&quot], [/FONT]vBulletin[FONT=&quot], [/FONT]xenForo[FONT=&quot], [/FONT]IPBoard[FONT=&quot], [/FONT]Simple Machines Forum[FONT=&quot], [/FONT]MyBB[FONT=&quot], [/FONT]bbPress[FONT=&quot], [/FONT]Kunena[FONT=&quot], [/FONT]Vanilla[FONT=&quot], [/FONT]ASP Playground[FONT=&quot], and [/FONT]Drupal[FONT=&quot]. In addition, 'Conversr' (the integrated forum of Composr CMS) allows for Tapatalk support[/FONT][SUP][2][/SUP][FONT=&quot] via the installation of an official addon.[/FONT]

perhaps once we are moved and work out any kinks WS will look into adding Tapatalk access if there is enough interest.

Yes, all your private messages will be saved. However, now the PM's are called "Conversations".

You start a private conversation aka private message with someone and it looks just like a thread as you go back and forth. You can invite other's to join you.

Like I mentioned earlier you can go discuss the things we are not allowing on the public forum. You will like this new way of sending and participating in "Conversations" on the new Websleuths.

Tricia

Will the old WS policy of "Your not allowed to say your going to PM someone" on the public forums-just do it. still be in effect? The other question that I have. I understand that it is currently a WS violation to contact family members of missing and unsolved murder cases. Invasion of privacy concerns. That is understandable. But at the same time. Think of the TONS of information that could be brought to cases if family members of the missing or unsolved murder cases could be invited to this forum? It would be great comfort for many of them to know that there are people who care about their loved ones. At the same time, it would be a totally voluntary decision, whether or not family members wanted to join WS.

I think that if there was ever a change to the policy, ONLY admins and mods would be able to do the reaching out to family members. There are several cases that I would love to get family input on, but we can't currently because of the WS violation policy. I would like to submit some ideas for striking a balance between a way for staff to contact family members about this forum, while at the same time respecting their privacy about victim cases. It may take some time, but I think that a compromise could be changed and perhaps a new policy could be developed.

Satch

Another possible downfall to Tapatalk is that it is an added charge WS really may not want to incur (we are a large site), and there may be security issues (something to do with ads used, I think) . I am not the most savvy computer person when it comes to computer software/programming/technology, but doing searches and reading on how Tapatalk works, I think I would be something I would be very sure of before adding it to my forum (if I owned one). Just switching servers has been a long process and a lot of planning and detail has gone into this for us.

anyway, this was just some FYI info to consider, I guess.

ETA: this alone would make me question adding Tapatalk function, I think, though as said above, I am not real savvy about these things. But it did make me think sbout how well we want our forum to run and how secure we want it to be:
https://androidforums.com/threads/tapatalk-is-being-discontinued.1125895/

Oh cool, thanks for checking that out!
Reading about Tapatalk at Wiki and other places, it seems our new forum platform (xenforo) would be compatible but WS would have to add something:

perhaps once we are moved and work out any kinks WS will look into adding Tapatalk access if there is enough interest.

First, big thanks to Trish and crew for taking such good care of us. :loveyou:

And second. It's not make or break and I feel like a heel complaining, but I'm really going to have to work to see some parts of that pretty layout that's posted earlier in the thread. If there isn't a way to darken the main text and make the contrast better, eyestrain is going to cut into my time here. :tantrum:

Hey Cariis, glad to see you got your old account back! To edit your signature just click on settings at the top right of your page, then over on the left scroll down to “edit signature”. Edit and save. At least that’s how I do it. :)

TY my dear. I did it !!

Sure seems kinda obvious now does it not

I did not remember it was called signature!!

Whew one less thing to figure out! My biggest fear from my very very very short visit (!) was the font and colors - could not see it .

If that is altered I probably will find it fun to play with new stuff.

My frustration levels can be hit easily so I do anticipate some of that as well!

And when I found out it was Monday my first reaction was oh god what if something major happens.

I have had the same instant dread when the TO box popped up!!

It would be awesome if the new one has something like threads started in the last 12 hours.

I do not think a lot of you have this problem ( I do look around before starting a thread) but it seems like I have started a lot of duplicate threads. It bugs me when I do that!!

First, big thanks to Trish and crew for taking such good care of us. :loveyou:

And second. It's not make or break and I feel like a heel complaining, but I'm really going to have to work to see some parts of that pretty layout that's posted earlier in the thread. If there isn't a way to darken the main text and make the contrast better, eyestrain is going to cut into my time here. :tantrum:

Hi car

have not seen you in long time

I am feeling a bit less geriatric to see others have found the readability on the one I saw difficult!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025