Welcome To Websleuths # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still unclear on why not all new posts appear in New Posts.

Also, those tiny spectacles that indicate one has seen a thread? They appear seemingly at random on titles of threads I have never clicked on.

Odd. The real problem, though, is New Posts.
I think the spectacles thing may be from watching a forum. Possibly when a new thread is started.

TBH I've started ignoring the spectacles. The equivalent green dots on the old WS were my go to for finding content I was interested in. But the 'watched threads' function seems reliable and gives me what I need.

As for new posts, I haven't noticed a problem, but I appreciate we may all be viewing slightly different things.

Could you post up an example of new posts not showing? (Thinking about it, I'm not sure if that is possible.)

As far as I can see 'new posts' only shows new unread posts. There is an option for 'recent posts' which shows everything, read or unread, maybe that will fix your issue.

I think the spectacles thing may be from watching a forum. Possibly when a new thread is started.

TBH I've started ignoring the spectacles. The equivalent green dots on the old WS were my go to for finding content I was interested in. But the 'watched threads' function seems reliable and gives me what I need.

As for new posts, I haven't noticed a problem, but I appreciate we may all be viewing slightly different things.

Could you post up an example of new posts not showing? (Thinking about it, I'm not sure if that is possible.)

As far as I can see 'new posts' only shows new unread posts. There is an option for 'recent posts' which shows everything, read or unread, maybe that will fix your issue.
Aha, so 'new posts' doesn't show the threads you have posted in from what I can gather, but 'recent posts' does.

Thanks. The re-do here is certainly labyrinthine; misnomers abound.

Still unclear on why not all new posts appear in New Posts.

Also, those tiny spectacles that indicate one has seen a thread? They appear seemingly at random on titles of threads I have never clicked on.

Odd. The real problem, though, is New Posts.

The spectacles mean you have marked it as a watched thread. However, I think it also appears if you are watching a forum, even if you haven't specifically asked to watch that thread.

Raccoon sighting... not on a 23 story building in downtown Minneapolis but in my neighbors yard.
I'm rooting for ya buddy but my pellet gun says this might sting a bit.

Aha, so 'new posts' doesn't show the threads you have posted in from what I can gather, but 'recent posts' does.
Sort of. I think. 'new posts' will show all threads where there is a new post that you haven't read, even if you have posted in it.

If you then click on recent posts it will show all threads by order of most recent post.

I don't even look at the alerts, 'watched threads' and 'new posts' give me everything I need.

It takes time to adjust, but I think the old site was so unuser-friendly that everyone had their own fiddles to make it work for them. The new site doesn't always accommodate those fiddles because it just works. It doesn't need them.

Now the search function is working again I have absolutely nothing to complain about.

It'd be nice to see who is viewing a thread, but apart from that I don't really see much that the new site can't do that the old one could.

Can't you just chase it away or something or make a racket ?
Raccoon sighting... not on a 23 story building in downtown Minneapolis but in my neighbors yard.
I'm rooting for ya buddy but my pellet gun says this might sting a bit.

It'd be nice to see who is viewing a thread, but apart from that I don't really see much that the new site can't do that the old one could.

Just in case some don't know, even though there is no list of who is viewing, you can tell if a poster is still viewing by the green triangle in their avatar before their posts. See red arrow:

Attachments

• 34C240E1-3CDB-4FF7-BDA2-49414AEDB618.jpeg
    34C240E1-3CDB-4FF7-BDA2-49414AEDB618.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 6
This raccoon could be abandoned, starving and its scaling the side of a 23 story building only to find catfood inside a Have.a.Heart trap then brought to some area miles from the city, let free and back at my neighbors yard.....

Sort of. I think. 'new posts' will show all threads where there is a new post that you haven't read, even if you have posted in it.

If you then click on recent posts it will show all threads by order of most recent post.

I don't even look at the alerts, 'watched threads' and 'new posts' give me everything I need.

It takes time to adjust, but I think the old site was so unuser-friendly that everyone had their own fiddles to make it work for them. The new site doesn't always accommodate those fiddles because it just works. It doesn't need them.

Now the search function is working again I have absolutely nothing to complain about.

I can't find Recent Posts. Do you mean Recent Activity?

Just in case some don't know, even though there is no list of who is viewing, you can tell if a poster is still viewing by the green triangle in their avatar before their posts. See red arrow:

When I put my mouse over the green triangle on someone's avatar, it just says that the person is online, not that they are still viewing the specific thread.

Will this forum ever go back on tapatalk? I confess I’m not always home and viewing the forum on my phone or tablet is difficult

This is my question! I very, very rarely log on from a computer and almost exclusively visit WS on my iPhone. I am finding this format hard to read and navigate. Therefore, I can’t easily check in on the dozen or so threads I follow. I find myself visiting every few days instead of every day. Is there a format designed for mobile devices? I loved Tapatalk.

That being said, thank you for all the hard work you’re doing. I try and support WS however I can because this forum is so important!

This is my question! I very, very rarely log on from a computer and almost exclusively visit WS on my iPhone. I am finding this format hard to read and navigate. Therefore, I can’t easily check in on the dozen or so threads I follow. I find myself visiting every few days instead of every day. Is there a format designed for mobile devices? I loved Tapatalk.

That being said, thank you for all the hard work you’re doing. I try and support WS however I can because this forum is so important!

Hi. Have you tried clicking on 'watched threads'?

It's like the old 'subscribed threads' but actually works.

And it has its own button, rather than clicking on 'settings' to view it. (Well that's how I used to access it).

ETA: I've never used tapatalk, maybe it's not comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamadeadhead