Welcome To Websleuths # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
is anyone else having connection problems right now? for about the past hour, not being able to go to next page of threads or add likes etc. without being timed out.

I have been having this issue off and on since late last night. I try to post and the page just sits and tries to load for several minutes. Half the time it posts and the other half my browser times out and I have to close the session and leave. I wasn't sure if it was my system or the site. My laptop just updated yesterday so I thought it might be something to do with that. The new site was super fast before yesterday :(

I have been having this issue off and on since late last night. I try to post and the page just sits and tries to load for several minutes. Half the time it posts and the other half my browser times out and I have to close the session and leave. I wasn't sure if it was my system or the site. My laptop just updated yesterday so I thought it might be something to do with that. The new site was super fast before yesterday :(

FWIW I was having the same issue on my iPad a little bit ago. I switched to my laptop and it's going much better now. I don't know if there's an issue going on with WS, if it was my iPad or if it was a fluke.

FWIW I was having the same issue on my iPad a little bit ago. I switched to my laptop and it's going much better now. I don't know if there's an issue going on with WS, if it was my iPad or if it was a fluke.

Thanks Tippy Lynn. It seems to be allowing me to post again without issues.

I believe posters use whatever communication they feel happy with. If I was to say "methinks that comment was overly harsh" I would not expect to be told I was alienating younger generations by using outdated language. It is against TOS to tell people what to post for a start so what we use is our decision IMO.

I'm also really intrigued by all this chat about the smileys, and I'm feeling very old... I can't stand webpages that look like 12 yr-olds have been playing... my brain can't cope with all the jerky motions all over the place. But I'm very curious as to Bears10's comments and what would be a reasonable compromise to make things have a more modern feel without alienating anyone over 40.

At 150%, my font seems HUGE :D I can't imagine having it set at 175% :eek: I guess we do what we gotta do. I actually like the smaller font here, but it might be a problem on other sites I frequent (mostly news).

At 175% the smallest font size is about 18pt. Anything much smaller than 15pt., will start to strain my eyes. But I'm getting kind of old, and my eyesight is not that great. So I don't mind super sized fonts.

I'm wondering if we can lose the advertisement right above the comment box? Every time I try to read a post at the bottom of a page it automatically scrolls past a few comments at the bottom and an advertisement appears above the comment box. It is super annoying. Then if I try to post a comment an advertisement appears and I have to watch and wait before I can comment. I understand having some advertisements like the ones on the side bar, but at the bottom of every page in every thread is a little excessive. This just started last night when the website was down for a short period of time. Can this be changed or at can it be moved somewhere else at least?

I'm wondering if we can lose the advertisement right above the comment box? Every time I try to read a post at the bottom of a page it automatically scrolls past a few comments at the bottom and an advertisement appears above the comment box. It is super annoying. Then if I try to post a comment an advertisement appears and I have to watch and wait before I can comment. I understand having some advertisements like the ones on the side bar, but at the bottom of every page in every thread is a little excessive. This just started last night when the website was down for a short period of time. Can this be changed or at can it be moved somewhere else at least?
There are solutions to that problem, that you can find with Google easy. I would be very surprised if any solution can be found for the forum. Unfortunately internet marketers just don't get it. They want their ads in your face, non-stop, and they don't care how much inconvenience that causes you. I have been watching this problem for the 25 years I've been on the internet. The problem only gets worse, and it's not going to go away anytime soon.

There are solutions to that problem, that you can find with Google easy. I would be very surprised if any solution can be found for the forum. Unfortunately internet marketers just don't get it. They want their ads in your face, non-stop, and they don't care how much inconvenience that causes you. I have been watching this problem for the 25 years I've been on the internet. The problem only gets worse, and it's not going to go away anytime soon.
The type of advertisement is one that the web developer puts into the website through google adwords or html. It hasn’t been there up until last night. I think it was added to the website last night when it went down. It’s just in a bad place. Right above the comment bar at the bottom of each page on a thread.

I believe posters use whatever communication they feel happy with. If I was to say "methinks that comment was overly harsh" I would not expect to be told I was alienating younger generations by using outdated language. It is against TOS to tell people what to post for a start so what we use is our decision IMO.

I’m not sure if this is directed at me? I never told anyone how to post. I never implied that I wanted to alienate anyone. I just suggested making the forum a little more modern. But I am abandoning that suggestion due to the vibe im getting from others in this thread that don’t seem into modernizing whatsoever. To each their own. ✌

That’s precisely one of the ads I was referring to earlier. The big one at the top is new too and I keep accidentally clicking on it when I try to scroll.

That’s precisely one of the ads I was referring to earlier. The big one at the top is new too and I keep accidentally clicking on it when I try to scroll.
Yes. They probably put them in the website html to help pay for the upkeep. It’s just that the location of some of them are in a really bad spot. It messes with the scrolling, stops you from scrolling up and down. You have to close it to move up or down. I know it’s not my computer because they are showing up on my phone now too. Just in different spots.

Yes. They probably put them in the website html to help pay for the upkeep. It’s just that the location of some of them are in a really bad spot. It messes with the scrolling, stops you from scrolling up and down. You have to close it to move up or down. I know it’s not my computer because they are showing up on my phone now too. Just in different spots.
Exactly, I TOTALLY get having ads...it’s the size and location of them that’s messing me up. I’m pretty sure there were ads in the same locations before but they were smaller and didn’t interfere with anything.

Exactly, I TOTALLY get having ads...it’s the size and location of them that’s messing me up. I’m pretty sure there were ads in the same locations before but they were smaller and didn’t interfere with anything.
Yes. They were smaller and didn’t interfere with your scrolling. I do think they can fix it if they’re willing to make some small adjustments.

Last night circa 11:30pm (in Oz) it took more than 15 minutes to get to the Reply box in order to type a 10 word post and attach 2 links. I couldn't scroll down to to Reply box as I could only scroll down one or two posts before the screen froze for several minutes and then unfroze for only a few seconds. There were 900+ people online at the time.

I kept getting the popup "Websleuths is not responding due to a long running script" but stopping it made no difference. Exiting WS completely and returning was unsuccessful as was rebooting my PC. All other sites were OK.

I ended up creating my post in Notepad and copied and pasted it across in the few seconds when the screen unfroze.

Before shutting my PC down I got the Windows update. It's now more than 16 hours later (3:21 pm Oz) and the problems are the same. 800+ online. WS was running perfectly until last night. I see others are having issues too.

At 175% the smallest font size is about 18pt. Anything much smaller than 15pt., will start to strain my eyes. But I'm getting kind of old, and my eyesight is not that great. So I don't mind super sized fonts.

If you're on a PC, have you tried pressing CTRL and rolling your mouse wheel forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member