Welcome To Websleuths # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was answering Amonet and it wasn't directed at anyone - it was JMO.
As you say each to his own. We like what we like right and post as we are able.

I’m not sure if this is directed at me? I never told anyone how to post. I never implied that I wanted to alienate anyone. I just suggested making the forum a little more modern. But I am abandoning that suggestion due to the vibe im getting from others in this thread that don’t seem into modernizing whatsoever. To each their own. ✌

This is how my screens look on the iPhone since yesterday. I think there‘s something wrong with the Google ads placement.
View attachment 136260
It’s awful! I keep opening ad windows without wanting to and half the time my screen fails to load properly so I have to close the window and open a new window. The forum was working relatively fine in the beginning. I’m starting to miss my tapatalk :(

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet:

With the previous format, you were able to go to your subscriptions page and create folders. This was easier to organize all the threads that you were following instead of having one folder with 150+ pages of subscribed (or watched) threads.

I don't see this option under the "Watched Threads". Is this currently available or will it be added soon?

Still concerned about thread titling. This just is not right, and it mars the site and makes us all appear rather subliterate:
Md - Joseph “zack“/”edmund“ Moubarek 21, Montgomery County, 14 Jun 2018 *down Syndrome*
This is not, of course, the fault of the poster. It's a fault of the program.
Another example, my own:
At Urging Of Minneapolis Police, Hennepin Ems Workers Subdued Dozens With A Powerful Sedative
Note "Ems" (sic). The program automatically lower cases the letter(s) after the capital. That needs fixing. EMS.

I’m not sure if this is directed at me? I never told anyone how to post. I never implied that I wanted to alienate anyone. I just suggested making the forum a little more modern. But I am abandoning that suggestion due to the vibe im getting from others in this thread that don’t seem into modernizing whatsoever. To each their own. ✌

I was genuinely curious as to what, in your opinion, would give the forum a more 'modern' feel.

The old template was donkeys years old. I love the new header graphic. I haven't been keeping up with webdesign trends and my eye isn't attuned to that as it might have been a few years ago.

To me the forum is about the content (the posts), and a place that facilitates discussion of crime cases. Although the old template was extremely outdated, it didn't make any difference to me.

I can't even tell the ages of the people posting here unless they explicitly state their age. I'm also surprised so many people use phones and tablets/pads to access the forum, because I can't tell that they're doing that as the posts aren't written in texting language.

I was genuinely curious as to what, in your opinion, would give the forum a more 'modern' feel.

The old template was donkeys years old. I love the new header graphic. I haven't been keeping up with webdesign trends and my eye isn't attuned to that as it might have been a few years ago.

To me the forum is about the content (the posts), and a place that facilitates discussion of crime cases. Although the old template was extremely outdated, it didn't make any difference to me.

I can't even tell the ages of the people posting here unless they explicitly state their age. I'm also surprised so many people use phones and tablets/pads to access the forum, because I can't tell that they're doing that as the posts aren't written in texting language.

I personally feel the smileys and graphics used feel like 1990s AOL. I've seen this sentiment shared elsewhere many times as well.

BBM. What do you mean by the bolded statement - texting language? Meaning like "c u l8r" instead of "see you later"? I don't even talk in "texting language" when I'm texting. No one I know does that besides my mom lol.

edited for clarity.

Last edited:
BBM means bolded by me, a way of saying emphasis mine, and not necessarily occurring in the passage quoted.

I know lol... I mean what does the bolded sentence mean. I don't understand what OP means by "I'm also surprised so many people use phones and tablets/pads to access the forum, because I can't tell that they're doing that as the posts aren't written in texting language."

I personally feel the smileys and graphics used feel like 1990s AOL. I've seen this sentiment shared elsewhere many times as well.

BBM. What do you mean by the bolded statement - texting language? Meaning like "c u l8r" instead of "see you later"? I don't even talk in "texting language" when I'm texting. No one I know does that besides my mom lol.

edited for clarity.

I read Websleuths for several years prior to joining. One of the reasons that I finally registered here was to get rid of the long signature lines that accompanied many members' posts. First thing I did was get rid of them :D I don't mind a smiley here and there, and I use some occasionally, but I wouldn't miss them if they were gone. I'm happy with the current limited selection and don't have access to other smileys or emojis, so I won't be using those ;)

"Texting" language reminds me of Rebus puzzles. Some are easily and quickly solved while others take some time and thought.

Last night circa 11:30pm (in Oz) it took more than 15 minutes to get to the Reply box in order to type a 10 word post and attach 2 links. I couldn't scroll down to to Reply box as I could only scroll down one or two posts before the screen froze for several minutes and then unfroze for only a few seconds. There were 900+ people online at the time.

I kept getting the popup "Websleuths is not responding due to a long running script" but stopping it made no difference. Exiting WS completely and returning was unsuccessful as was rebooting my PC. All other sites were OK.

I ended up creating my post in Notepad and copied and pasted it across in the few seconds when the screen unfroze.

Before shutting my PC down I got the Windows update. It's now more than 16 hours later (3:21 pm Oz) and the problems are the same. 800+ online. WS was running perfectly until last night. I see others are having issues too.
Are you using Internet Explorer? The long running script is an error message I used to get all the time and still do when I switch back to IE.
I use Firefox now and have hardly any problems like I had with IE.
I did notice yesterday that I timed out here and couldn't get to the next page.Only happened once and so far seems okay.

I am afraid I cannot read the recent screenshots posted. Have tried turning my phone sideways, zooming and clicking.

Also, when I have used the forum the last couple of days, I get a message there is a problem with the security of the site. Entering te xt in the reply box has become slow and cumbersome. Also the reply box jumps out of sight every so often and the keyboard disappears from view every so often.

edited for clarity.

Yes, m8, that's what I meant!

Surely there must be smiley paks that contain more modern-feeling smileys? The only thing that bothers me is if there's too much repetitive motion in them, they're too large, and they take over a page. But I don't see anything to suggest that would happen here, so if you're just referring to the styling of the smileys then that sounds like a :cool: suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member