Welcome To Websleuths # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss seeing the sign up date for individuals on the threads. It helped me many times greet new people, and know who the old-timers were.

Does that capability no longer exist? If it does and I am not seeing things correctly, can somebody guide me? Also, there is no " settings" for font size...or posts per page like we had before?

ETA.. I also really miss having post numbers on the thread as that was also a way I kept track of where I was but now they are gone. Or am I not doing something correctly and others can see post numbers.

Turn your phone sideways to see post number - it is there next to reply. Other fields show up too in sideways (landscape) mode.

The ones I saw last night were all using bot names. I'm not sure where you saw that in order to examine it.

The ones I saw, one of them was katrinaxxxxx, one of them was shaunxxxxx , I think one was pattyxxxxx. I've put *advertiser censored*'s where there was a surname. Is that what you mean by real name, or do you mean a name that you recognize as being a regular poster here?

Yes - the user names are in English not Korean - like savannaridge for example. I don't know if they are real users but they appear to be real names. I.e. not Korean or Chinese characters. Sorry didn't mean to confuse (confused enough already ¿
¿ ? )

Yes - the user names are in English not Korean - like savannaridge for example. I don't know if they are real users but they appear to be real names. I.e. not Korean or Chinese characters. Sorry didn't mean to confuse (confused enough already ¿
¿ ? )

I understand now. That was one of the spambot names. The forum isn't coded to allow the username to be in non-Western characters, so it confused you that the username didn't match the Korean characters in the posts.

Dave is shutting down the search engine to work in it
Thank you Tricia. Dave, here's some pizza to keep you going
pizza-smiley.gif
while you
geek-smiley.gif

So far, the most accurate feature is History -- an actual record of where I have gone. Also, New Threads seems accurate, each of my new ones appearing there in real time.

Not so good: New Posts, Recent Threads, and Recent Replies; when I have posted, it's a maybe, maybe not, as to whether the post will appear on any of these.

This leaves a user feeling he or she is not able to navigate the site successfully, and know what is transpiring across its wide scope -- a feeling of "missing something, somewhere."

Additionally, Recent Threads and Recent Replies most always duplicate one another, and therefore are redundant in their usefulness -- wastes of space, really.

Were there a single, accurate New Posts, the three others (New Threads, Recent Threads, Recent Replies) would barely be necessary at all, and the area used for additional ad space.

Last edited:
Looking for thread regarding a middle- aged woman who was murdered at home in her kitchen. She raised & sold puppies.

Her husband was on a tractor in a field near their home when she was killed. It's thought that Someone may have contacted her to see pups, but lied & it was a set up.

I am not good at searching. I don't even remember the state or year this happening. It's been on my mind to check for updates.

Thanks! (If wrong thread to ask for help---My apologies)

Looking for thread regarding a middle- aged woman who was murdered at home in her kitchen. She raised & sold puppies.

Her husband was on a tractor in a field near their home when she was killed. It's thought that Someone may have contacted her to see pups, but lied & it was a set up.

I am not good at searching. I don't even remember the state or year this happening. It's been on my mind to check for updates.

Thanks! (If wrong thread to ask for help---My apologies)

KS - Lori Heimer, 57, murdered in her Saline County home, 25 June 2016
KS - Lori Heimer, 57, murdered in her Saline County home, 25 June 2016

Just a tip to posters as these issues are resolved:

One can't edit titles after posting threads, and therefore take care with your titles.

When posting threads, your title may suffer fallen capital letters if you punctuate it.

Another needs fixing issue concerns listing the location of your thread, state- or country-wise.

For example, instead of appearing in caps, the t in a Connecticut abbreviation appears as Ct instead of capitalized.

Successive capitalizations appear with their second and following caps lower-cased (i.e. LE for law enforcement appears as Le).

These thread title issues pock the site with unsightly errata, and therefore mar the ultimate seriousness of WS.

Last edited:
So far, the most accurate feature is History -- an actual record of where I have gone. Also, New Threads seems accurate, each of my new ones appearing there in real time.

Not so good: New Posts, Recent Threads, and Recent Replies; when I have posted, it's a maybe, maybe not, as to whether the post will appear on any of these.

This leaves a user feeling he or she is not able to navigate the site successfully, and know what is transpiring across its wide scope -- a feeling of "missing something, somewhere."

Additionally, Recent Threads and Recent Replies most always duplicate one another, and therefore are redundant in their usefulness -- wastes of space, really.

Were there a single, accurate New Posts, the three others (New Threads, Recent Threads, Recent Replies) would barely be necessary at all, and the area used for additional ad space.

Snipped from Wire154 because quote isn’t working:

“This leaves a user feeling he or she is not able to navigate the site successfully, and know what is transpiring across its wide scope -- a feeling of "missing something, somewhere."

YES! ‘Missing something’. Good choice of simple words. I’m so frustrated, I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to get all in one place?

Like one example: why does it have to be Watched threads and Unread Watched threads? Combined with ‘there may be more’? That’s a maze. Watched threads is enough.

Is it possible to get the same info on whatever your choice of entry is?

Like, one example: if you are using one of these as your entry or last left off, ‘Watched threads, History, Activity’ etc. can it display the time-poster, etc across the board? So that no matter where you find yourself you can at least know it’s accurate and congruent?

When you say "Hit or miss" can you describe exactly what is happening and get a screen shot?

Sometimes I get my Alerts, sometimes not. It has nothing to do with my Alert setting preferences, as I don’t change them. A screenshot wouldn’t help you...I don’t think? But today they are better than yesterday.

Snipped from Wire154 because quote isn’t working:

“This leaves a user feeling he or she is not able to navigate the site successfully, and know what is transpiring across its wide scope -- a feeling of "missing something, somewhere."

YES! ‘Missing something’. Good choice of simple words. I’m so frustrated, I don’t understand why it’s so difficult to get all in one place?

Like one example: why does it have to be Watched threads and Unread Watched threads? Combined with ‘there may be more’? That’s a maze. Watched threads is enough.

Is it possible to get the same info on whatever your choice of entry is?

Like, one example: if you are using one of these as your entry or last left off, ‘Watched threads, History, Activity’ etc. can it display the time-poster, etc across the board? So that no matter where you find yourself you can at least know it’s accurate and congruent?
I don't know if this will help or not Gooddeeds but I was initially unsure of the benefit of having watched threads and unwatched threads and all that jazz... until I used the "mark forums read" button. That is when the system started working for me.

It marks all of your subscribed (watched) threads as completely read at that point and clears them from your watched threads tab, but you can still find them in your history tab if you want to refresh yourself as to what was last going on in the case. Anytime someone makes a new post in one of your watched threads the thread shows up again in your watched threads tab where you can go to see the new replies. Clicking on the little blue dot at the left of the thread title then takes you to the first unread post.

I don't know if this will help or not Gooddeeds but I was initially unsure of the benefit of having watched threads and unwatched threads and all that jazz... until I used the "mark forums read" button. That is when the system started working for me.

It marks all of your subscribed (watched) threads as completely read at that point and clears them from your watched threads tab, but you can still find them in your history tab if you want to refresh yourself as to what was last going on in the case. Anytime someone makes a new post in one of your watched threads the thread shows up again in your watched threads tab where you can go to see the new replies. Clicking on the little blue dot at the left of the thread title then takes you to the first unread post.

Not sure if it works like this for everyone, but the only time I now need to click on the tiny dot to go to my first unread post is if it was a thread I was watching on the old site and I hadn't looked at it on the new site.

Once I've looked at the thread fully on the new site, I only have to click on the thread title and it takes me to the first unread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member