Welcome To Websleuths # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m surprised this thread opened for me. I’ve been timing out. We’ll see if this posts. Something is still a mess. When the message appears that a thread won’t open because I’m not connected to the internet...and I am...and when I can’t get a post to post...well something is up. It is 5:24 pm PDT.

The site has been loading really slow for me too. 8:57 pm EST here.

For everyone experiencing issues, Dave posted this earlier today;

Things have calmed quite a bit but are not yet complete. I ask for your continued patience while we work to resolve the issues. Keep in mind traffic has tripled over the last 2 weeks. The optimization I have done in the last week has done a really good job at handling the increased load, unfortunately the server seems to be not able to handle the slow times as well. I have called in the data center to have them verify my work, they confirm no errors in my work. Over night a hardware test was run to verify the memory and hard drives were still in full working order. The hardware all tested ok. Both the data center and myself will continue to monitor the situation.

Also, The search index had to be deleted again and the search info is being rebuilt. Expect to see very little search info right now with more coming as it progresses.

Welcome To Websleuths # 3

Well it looks like the 12 hour maintenance shutdown was a complete failure. :(

A complete failure? That seems a little harsh. Respectfully, have ya managed a multifunctional website with hundreds of thousands of pages?

Working on things like site bugs can be really tricky. It really isn’t an exact science, tbh.

This is the exactly the problems I am experiencing. I had trouble even composing this post, as it kept freezing or crashing and I had to reload and retype. Maybe 3 times, just to type this short msg.

Hi, Lilibet. Miss you! :)

Well.... you are a slowpoke, aren't you?

Attachments

• 7900FAE8-277A-4380-BB8E-DD709104C0CB.gif
    7900FAE8-277A-4380-BB8E-DD709104C0CB.gif
    487.6 KB · Views: 3
Well it was down for 12 hours and now it's running exactly like it was yesterday. I guess I'm the pessimist, but it's hard for me to see how this is going to improve. Short of them finally giving up on the terrible buggy software and going back to the old site. But I don't expect that to happen.

it will how long they cant be sure

OMG NO, IT WAS NOT. KaaBoom you know how to bring a person down.

The reason the shutdown was not a failure is that now we can rule it out and try something else.

Dave has my full confidence. He is experienced and has always does whatever it takes to deal with issues.

Please do not post any snarky comments. Honestly, they do nothing to help the situation and it really pisses me off when I read them knowing how hard everyone is working.

If you have something to add that will be helpful please do so. If you have a problem you feel we should know about please, by all means, post it in this thread. All I ask is you post in a polite and constructive manner. If you can't then don't post.

Tricia

tricia, i think you're doing a good job. considering how much members there are... yes, there may have been a few times where the site was loading slow but all in all it didn't interfere too much with the posting.

this just me my naive notions but at some level it seems like it might be prudent

this may be a way to rule out a bunch of stuff maybe it is in plain site
I had NO problems until like two weeks ago - and that is when traffic started to go up

that makes me wonder ( since I had zero problems) if that might just be it?? like in plain site

This is not aimed at anybody specific, it is aimed at anybody that has been giving opinions but the only experience is from your laptop.

I would really appreciate it if everybody would quit with the wild guesses of what is going on. Or, if you are going to be giving your tech opinions please at the least state your experience. If you want to discuss it with your peers, that is understandable but please take it to the conversations (PM). So far in all of these pages there has been one person/one post that has shown they may have an idea of what all is involved.

This does not mean I am not open to input, I have shown to Tricia on many many occasions that there are people better than me at any given task. I have never had a problem going to those who are a lot smarter than I am. But at the same time I have grown tired of feeling like I have to defend myself and my 20 years of experience against arm chair server admins with zero experience. I certainly will never try to tell you folks how to investigate crimes it is what you do, you are good at it. Please show me the same respect.

Dave

I have a question and I don't know who to ask. I've been a member since 2011 but not active since 2015 until today. What happened to all my 'likes'? Also, I think I had more than 600 posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiw1234