Welcome To Websleuths # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned this previously but my only issue pales in comparison to problems others seem to have. But for infrequent lag time, the only problem I have is with the number of emails received for one or two entries in a conversation. It's not a major issue and doesn't impact site use, but why are there so many email notices for new posts in conversations? One morning, I had 54 Websleuths emails for two posts in a conversation. If this isn't happening to others, not to worry as I can live with it, but maybe it needs tweaking when other problems are resolved. Thanks for your consideration.
Hey BDE,

I will bring this to Dave's attention and see what he says.

Thanks,
Tricia

Well, I started a thread for a missing girl, missing for 3 weeks.
After a couple of days, Police located her.
I contacted Mods, that girl was located, if the thread can be removed.
The thread appears after 2 weeks.
I am worried that the young girl will see this.
Tmar,
we get hundreds of alerts every day. Especially in the Mollie Tebbits discussion. Last night there were two full pages of alerts almost all for one post that was a TOS violation.
There will be times when our mods will not see the other alerts.
Since it has been two weeks please re-submit the information again along with a short polite message that this is the second alert.

This is a good opportunity to remind everyone about a bit of etiquette when it comes to sending alerts. You would be stunned at how many times we get an alert like this: " I alerted on this TWO DAYS AGO. WHERE ARE YOU?????? HELLO???????? ANYONE HOME????" or words to that effect. It can be very disheartening when you are a mod who has been on the forum for 16 hours doing nothing but dealing with alerts.

Thank you,
Tricia

Tmar,
we get hundreds of alerts every day. Especially in the Mollie Tebbits discussion. Last night there were two full pages of alerts almost all for one post that was a TOS violation.
There will be times when our mods will not see the other alerts.
Since it has been two weeks please re-submit the information again along with a short polite message that this is the second alert.

This is a good opportunity to remind everyone about a bit of etiquette when it comes to sending alerts. You would be stunned at how many times we get an alert like this: " I alerted on this TWO DAYS AGO. WHERE ARE YOU?????? HELLO???????? ANYONE HOME????" or words to that effect. It can be very disheartening when you are a mod who has been on the forum for 16 hours doing nothing but dealing with alerts.

Thank you,
Tricia

Hi Tricia

Can I please ask for some clarification on warning points and time outs please? A lot of us have not been notified of our warning points, told if they are gone or even been told we are on a time out/how long we are going to be timed out for.

Of course, the solution is to not get warning points/time outs, but, we're not perfect :p

Thanks

Thanks Lilibet.
If your posts are removed, and you do get a personal message why removed, but no statement about number of warning points issued, but 'don't do this again', I would think I haven't been issued them.
I don't want to assume anything, though. Some clarification would be helpful. I do understand that there is a lot going on, though, and will remain patient and look forward to learning more about the new points system :)

Oh gosh I'm sorry I didn't see there was another page of posts before I posted mine! I'm not nagging! Sorry about that!

Thank you, Tricia. I don't like to complain but wonder what's up with all the email notifications.
I was able to adjust my email notifications by clicking on my name then "contact details." There is a section there called "messaging preferences" and that's where you can choose what you gets emailed about. I hope that helps :)

I was able to adjust my email notifications by clicking on my name then "contact details." There is a section there called "messaging preferences" and that's where you can choose what you gets emailed about. I hope that helps :)

THANK YOU FLOURISH. I was just about to post these instructions. This helps a great deal.
Thanks again,
Tricia

I opted out of all alerts weeks ago. The only notifications that I'm supposed to receive are emails for new posts in Conversations. One morning this week, there were 54 emails for two new posts in one Conversation. I'm only in one Conversation currently, so the multiple emails were the same messages over and over. Like I said, it's not a major problem, just a nuisance. I opted out of that now and won't know whether or not there are new entries in one conversation until I log in and see my Inbox. I will also contact Xfinity and find out if it's a problem with my email account.

hello!
i am from vienna, austria and i registered to talk about the Steven Avery Case. that just baffles me to no end.. anyway i will post in the proper threads.
it seems like there is little to no interest in german discussion boards regarding SA.. thank god i found this here. this is really a huge site. so many members... and so many topics. its crazy.
well, i'm looking forward to a good exchange of thoughts.

hello!
i am from vienna, austria and i registered to talk about the Steven Avery Case. that just baffles me to no end.. anyway i will post in the proper threads.
it seems like there is little to no interest in german discussion boards regarding SA.. thank god i found this here. this is really a huge site. so many members... and so many topics. its crazy.
well, i'm looking forward to a good exchange of thoughts.

Welcome! I’m sure you’ll enjoy it here. Lots of good people to talk to.

Hi, ppl. Nice to meet you all. I joined about 4 months ago, but this is my first post. I have been reading this forum for many years. There are several cases from my little city on here (im in central Minnesota) . I also know one of the people whose case has a section here. Still not a trace of her in 32 years. I decided to join due to another case in my area thats even older. I may have something to say about that case one day. I will save that for the appropriate section.

Thanks for the tips on the alert settings a couple of posts above. I just sorted that all out b4 posting.

Haven't seen this posted here yet.

TONIGHT AUGUST 1ST 2018

@11:00 PM Eastern,

10:00 PM Central,

9:00 PM Mountain,

8:00 PM Pacific

5:00 PM for those lucky enough to live anywhere in and around Hawaii and

11:00 AM tomorrow morning in Ulaanbaatar Mongolia

the Websleuths server will be taken down for maintenance.

Websleuths will be back up in the early morning of August 2nd.

Thank you for your patience.

Tricia

Hi, ppl. Nice to meet you all. I joined about 4 months ago, but this is my first post. I have been reading this forum for many years. There are several cases from my little city on here (im in central Minnesota) . I also know one of the people whose case has a section here. Still not a trace of her in 32 years. I decided to join due to another case in my area thats even older. I may have something to say about that case one day. I will save that for the appropriate section.

Thanks for the tips on the alert settings a couple of posts above. I just sorted that all out b4 posting.

Welcome jaz! It sounds as if you have a lot to contribute. :)

Things have calmed quite a bit but are not yet complete. I ask for your continued patience while we work to resolve the issues. Keep in mind traffic has tripled over the last 2 weeks. The optimization I have done in the last week has done a really good job at handling the increased load, unfortunately the server seems to be not able to handle the slow times as well. I have called in the data center to have them verify my work, they confirm no errors in my work. Over night a hardware test was run to verify the memory and hard drives were still in full working order. The hardware all tested ok. Both the data center and myself will continue to monitor the situation.

Also, The search index had to be deleted again and the search info is being rebuilt. Expect to see very little search info right now with more coming as it progresses.

Thanks so much for your hard work, Dave. I’m sure it will all work out eventually. It sounds like a difficult “diagnosis.”

The pages opened zippy-fast just now, probably because the search feature is missing.

I opted out of all alerts weeks ago. The only notifications that I'm supposed to receive are emails for new posts in Conversations. One morning this week, there were 54 emails for two new posts in one Conversation. I'm only in one Conversation currently, so the multiple emails were the same messages over and over. Like I said, it's not a major problem, just a nuisance. I opted out of that now and won't know whether or not there are new entries in one conversation until I log in and see my Inbox. I will also contact Xfinity and find out if it's a problem with my email account.

I've stopped all my alerts except for convos too and I only get one email per convo so there's something up there with yours specifically. Weird.

However, I do get duplicate, sometimes triplicate alerts on deleted posts for some strange reason.

On your convos, Do you have multiple participants and perhaps the system generates an email for each participant?

hi Bette!

ugh right away once i figured out how i turned off everything !! That would drive me nuts

I think all the jet lag we all are experiencing more and more might be the number of users was quite low at onset of change and are increasing

I kinda think the only way everyone will be able to find out if that indeed is the actual platform issue is when a really big story breaks we will find out if that is the actual reason for it being crazy these days!

It for me has only been recently and our numbers are going back up so that could be an attribution.

I dont know if platforms come with for lack of knowing the correct way to state it (!) like a mpg for a platform

easily handles 1200 people

maxes out at 1300

will croak after 1400

stuff like that!!

lets hope not

sounds selfish but so many of you have hard a hard time since it came up I just thought i was sailing along (not including my learning curve and learning style stuff) is cause I am old

and simple

and on a PC

and my PC

does not take pictures

give back massages

vacuum

do the dishes

etc etc !!

it has been kinda like windows 95 sorta of

I have faith they are working on it

I dont know is it something like increase memory or something for larger numbers?

I hope it gets tuned up tho before a huge a story it will be the pitts to have to rely on news stations without you all tho

i am serious

boy Trisha could ya ever imagine you would end up being a computer tech person !!

and my sense is like me, this not a forte we like or process at any meaningful level!! while at times finding it like oh jeeezz generally those IT people don't think like regular people!!

no disrepect Dave at the same time I am sure you often are I cant comprehend why they are having a hard time with X it just makes so much sense and logic!!

I would drive you dave to a long term setting if one existed!!

Its left/ right brain stuff!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members