Welcome To Websleuths # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a JavaScript problem. I have gotten so fed up with the bad JavaScripts here that I just keep JavaScript turned off for this site. It breaks a lot of the functionality of the forum, and it gives me that "are you sure you want to like this post" all the time, but it's still a lot faster than having JavaScript turned on. I was just trying to reply to a post on my desktop computer which has JavaScript turned on, and it wouldn't even let me post the reply. I would just hang when I tried. So I got back on my laptop with JavaScript turned off and I was able to post without any problem.

Isn't the JS that you turn off in your browser the client-side JS? The problem here seems to be server-side, not the client-side?

Most of this stuff would be way beyond me, I was just hoping that explaining exactly where I'm having some of the worst issues might be helpful.

BTW my last few posts have replied perfectly, no hanging or looking like it hasn't posted and having to refresh the page to see my post, which is a huge improvement from the last few weeks!

ETA the 'like' and the moving to the next page are working a lot better the last few minutes!

Last edited:
I'm thinking, as frustrating as it is we all have to be patient. I have been constantly abusing the "refresh" feature and the "like" feature and a whole lot more. If the majority of members are doing the same, I can understand why the site is having major issues. Patience is a virtue!!! :D

Isn't the JS that you turn off in your browser the client-side JS? The problem here seems to be server-side, not the client-side?

Most of this stuff would be way beyond me, I was just hoping that explaining exactly where I'm having some of the worst issues might be helpful.

After experimenting I found the site to be noticeably faster with JavaScript turned off. It's a bit of a trade off, because of all the extra clicking needed to navigate, but it's still better for me, with it off.

As I said, I tried to use my desktop to post today, with JavaScript on and the results were not good. BTW my desktop has a lot more power than this laptop. Eight core 3.2 GHz vs. this laptop 2.2 Ghz.

Spoke too soon! Tried twice in last little bit to get back, but instead got

This site can’t be reached
www.websleuths.com took too long to respond.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • Checking the proxy and the firewall
  • Running Connectivity Diagnostics
My connection, proxy, firewall, etc., was okay apparently as I was easily able to enter other sites, and was here, too, after waiting awhile. All's well that end's well I guess!

Spoke too soon! Tried twice in last little bit to get back, but instead got

This site can’t be reached
www.websleuths.com took too long to respond.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • Checking the proxy and the firewall
  • Running Connectivity Diagnostics
My connection, proxy, firewall, etc., was okay apparently as I was easily able to enter other sites, and was here, too, after waiting awhile. All's well that end's well I guess!
I couldn’t connect for about 15 minutes half an hour ago. It’s a little slow now but at least I can post.

Okay - I just saw that I had 4 posts deleted - are those "warnings" - did I get any "bad points" against me??
animated-smileys-sad-004.gif

This happened to me, and I also thought this 'may be a warning'.
After mine being deleted, the Mod that did this, on this site, explained to all here, she is new, and learning.
When you are 'naughty', you are told this is a warning, and how many points you were given.
So relax as you don't know.:)

Okay - I just saw that I had 4 posts deleted - are those "warnings" - did I get any "bad points" against me??
animated-smileys-sad-004.gif

After my recent reply, to you, wow, you are lucky.
Later on, you received an individual reply, having no warning points. (I am behind).
Probably that you are so liked:):)
I am still going along, with incorrect times, for ages, on all siteso_Oo_O

This happened to me, and I also thought this 'may be a warning'.
After mine being deleted, the Mod that did this, on this site, explained to all here, she is new, and learning.
When you are 'naughty', you are told this is a warning, and how many points you were given.
So relax as you don't know.:)

Well, I don’t know about relaxing. :) I got a message from a long-time mod telling me I had 4 warning points and why. But I was also unable to post for about 3 days even though she didn’t tell me I was on time out. I really think the whole warning points/time out thing needs to be clarified and standardized and posted where everyone can see it.

Early on the first “Welcome” thread Tricia posted about it but said not to hold her to the numbers as she wasn’t sure. Has there been any kind of update since then?

Well, I don’t know about relaxing. :) I got a message from a long-time mod telling me I had 4 warning points and why. But I was also unable to post for about 3 days even though she didn’t tell me I was on time out. I really think the whole warning points/time out thing needs to be clarified and standardized and posted where everyone can see it.

Early on the first “Welcome” thread Tricia posted about it but said not to hold her to the numbers as she wasn’t sure. Has there been any kind of update since then?

Thanks Lilibet.
If your posts are removed, and you do get a personal message why removed, but no statement about number of warning points issued, but 'don't do this again', I would think I haven't been issued them.

I just tried viewing my most recent post and I was told I did not have permission to view it. ?????

Wow.
Was the post against the rules, and perhaps Mods deciding on it.
That happened to me once.
One of my posts, was stated by Mods, that others cannot see it, and Mods will decide.
I could however see it.
After several days, it was removed, and my likes taken off!!!!

Wow.
Was the post against the rules, and perhaps Mods deciding on it.
That happened to me once.
One of my posts, was stated by Mods, that others cannot see it, and Mods will decide.
I could however see it.
After several days, it was removed, and my likes taken off!!!!

I think a thread was pulled right after I posted on it. I posted that a girl was located. Thread pulled right away.

I think a thread was pulled right after I posted on it. I posted that a girl was located. Thread pulled right away.

Well, I started a thread for a missing girl, missing for 3 weeks.
After a couple of days, Police located her.
I contacted Mods, that girl was located, if the thread can be removed.
The thread appears after 2 weeks.
I am worried that the young girl will see this.

Thanks Lilibet.
If your posts are removed, and you do get a personal message why removed, but no statement about number of warning points issued, but 'don't do this again', I would think I haven't been issued them.

Here’s hoping. :) There’s supposed to be a way to check on your profile. I just think it needs to be clarified so there’s no guessing.

the last couple of weeks i have had phases of really slow stuff not a pt person drives me nuts

but i typically have several windows open (this may reduce your frustration it sure does mine!)

if ya have three webslueths window open you do what ya want when it hangs up switch to the other window and continue while the site decides if and when it wants to do what you were trying to do!

it keeps you from having to stare at a screen doing nothing !

a possible survival skill!! Works for me!!

ha its kinda like using a microwave instead of the oven !!!

hope this helps

I mentioned this previously but my only issue pales in comparison to problems others seem to have. But for infrequent lag time, the only problem I have is with the number of emails received for one or two entries in a conversation. It's not a major issue and doesn't impact site use, but why are there so many email notices for new posts in conversations? One morning, I had 54 Websleuths emails for two posts in a conversation. If this isn't happening to others, not to worry as I can live with it, but maybe it needs tweaking when other problems are resolved. Thanks for your consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeofLife