What Kind Of Defense for Casey in a trial?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wondered if the suspect could be questioned again.

Perhaps they might have eventually cried under pressure,

Just maybe!

She's already invoked her rights. They cannot question her without her atty present and he basically told her not to talk to ANYONE.

After the GJ indicted her on the 1st degree murder plus 6 other charges-- LE arrested her and did not take her directly to jail. She was taken to the OC sheriffs office and given the opportunity to talk but she immediately asked for JB. This was reported somewhere, if I can find the link I will post it. It was stated by OCSO employee she was making eye contact and smiling at investigators. ??? not acting like someone just indicted for murdering her child.

You know, the Anthonys won't visit or talk to KC because the conversations/visits are recorded. Oh well, can't they just talk about little stuff, just to spend time with each other and see each other in the flesh, lend support, say a prayer? So what if the world will hear what they are saying. If KC just wants the attention to go on Caylee, then newsflash, it's just weirder that she sits there for 24 hours a day without the support of her family.

I remember CA saying on Greta (I think) that she would say these mistruths, etc. just to keep coming on shows to get Caylee's picture out there. It just made me think of Scott Peterson saying that he didn't care if we thought he was the bad guy as long as Laci's picture was still out there.

These sociopaths really need to start studying each other's mistakes so they can stop murdering the people in their lives and stay out of jail. Maybe they can form their own community.

That is very wrong!

Thanks for the reply. :)

Not necessarily. It's the 5th Amendment of the US Constitution. You have the right to remain silent and you do not have to say anything that will incriminate you.

Casey lawyered up right away cuz she knew she was in trouble. Honestly, after LE's first go round with her, before she was arrested, I personally don't think LE should spend anymore time with her, 5th amendment or not. She lied, she led them around in circles, and then she lied some more. Nothing has changed in her demeanor that leads me to believe she might tell the truth now. And if she did tell the truth, how would you know? It would be a waste of LE's time to question her further. A hugh waste.

Just my opinion,

Salem

You know, the Anthonys won't visit or talk to KC because the conversations/visits are recorded. Oh well, can't they just talk about little stuff, just to spend time with each other and see each other in the flesh, lend support, say a prayer? So what if the world will hear what they are saying. If KC just wants the attention to go on Caylee, then newsflash, it's just weirder that she sits there for 24 hours a day without the support of her family.

I remember CA saying on Greta (I think) that she would say these mistruths, etc. just to keep coming on shows to get Caylee's picture out there. It just made me think of Scott Peterson saying that he didn't care if we thought he was the bad guy as long as Laci's picture was still out there.

These sociopaths really need to start studying each other's mistakes so they can stop murdering the people in their lives and stay out of jail. Maybe they can form their own community.

I think if Casey asked her parents to visit they'd be there with bells on. Casey played games with them before over the visits, canceling at the last minute and even sending Lee away a few times when he showed up for scheduled visits. I don't think they're giving her that power this time.....in other words, if she wants a visit she's going to have to ask for it.

Quote: HappyChic: I remember CA saying on Greta (I think) that she would say these mistruths, etc. just to keep coming on shows to get Caylee's picture out there. It just made me think of Scott Peterson saying that he didn't care if we thought he was the bad guy as long as Laci's picture was still out there.

(bold mine)

Ya mean like, "I will lie, I will steal, or do whatever I can to find my daughter..." (Noble of them, wonder where KC learned this.)

I think if Casey asked her parents to visit they'd be there with bells on. Casey played games with them before over the visits, canceling at the last minute and even sending Lee away a few times when he showed up for scheduled visits. I don't think they're giving her that power this time.....in other words, if she wants a visit she's going to have to ask for it.

Pity they didn't do that sort of thing years ago.

The next best defense for Casey is "It's someone else's fault" aka "Zanny the Nanny and Her Sister Sam". It's already lined up in the event Caylee is found deceased.

That sounds like a great title for Country westen song.. "Zanny the nanny and her sister Sam..picked up the baby and went on the lam"

There is no real defense for Casey. Her attorney will attempt to discount all the forensic evidence and the police work. He will attempt, whenever possible, to insinuate that someone else is the real culprit - ala Mark Geragos. He will not, during the trial, question Casey's upbringing or imply that she was the victim of sexual abuse by a member of her family. To do that would be to make excuses for her guilt, and the last thing he would do is imply that she's guilty. Any 'feel sorry for Casey' pleas will be made during sentencing, but still without an admission of guilt.

IMO

There is no real defense for Casey. Her attorney will attempt to discount all the forensic evidence and the police work. He will attempt, whenever possible, to insinuate that someone else is the real culprit - ala Mark Geragos. He will not, during the trial, question Casey's upbringing or imply that she was the victim of sexual abuse by a member of her family. To do that would be to make excuses for her guilt, and the last thing he would do is imply that she's guilty. Any 'feel sorry for Casey' pleas will be made during sentencing, but still without an admission of guilt.

IMO

Chilly, I think you are right. That's all they really can do. I'm wondering how they will deal with the scenario of ZFG being the nanny that supposedly kidnapped Caylee. Since the real ZFG is filing a lawsuit against her, that would make things difficult for them to use her name, right? I haven't heard much about the lawsuit lately, so not sure where that stands now.

The next day after she made 2 911 calls, he was visibly angry with her in many people's opinion. She strutted behind him with head down as he stormed out to his car and whipped the passenger door open and then stormed to his side of the car. The next day after that incident, Casey decided according to reports to not visit him. In the afternoon he came racing in and went in the house for a bit. The rest is mere speculation, but makes sense to me. She resumed her all day visits with him after that.

Almost sound like a 'lover's quarrel'.....No, couldn't be. :waitasec:

Chilly, I think you are right. That's all they really can do. I'm wondering how they will deal with the scenario of ZFG being the nanny that supposedly kidnapped Caylee. Since the real ZFG is filing a lawsuit against her, that would make things difficult for them to use her name, right? I haven't heard much about the lawsuit lately, so not sure where that stands now.

ZFG's lawsuit will not have any affect on the murder trial. The prosecution will present Casey's kidnapping story and then debunk it. The 'real' ZFG may testify, although I don't think it's necessary since Casey's ZFG is imaginary.

Isn't Jose Baez married? What his wife must think is beyond me, especially with him having this kind of huggy relationship with his most notorious and recognizable client.

IMO

But here's the thing. JB as an attorney is in the one true situation where no matter what the law ro the judge or the rules say, the presumption of innocense is not a given, and the burden of proof is not wholly the states.

No matter how you parse it legally, no juror or jury will ignore the simple question. WHERE IS THE CHILD. the mother is the responsible party,legally, ethically and morally. If she cannot produce the child, or provide a reasonable explanation of where the child is (and yes I mean reasonable, ie one that can be at least partially proven by facts and investigation) then she will be convicted, and at the very least she will spend the rest of her life in prison.

A defense approach of seeking to disprove the prosecutions evidence and facts one by one still does not answer that core question. It cannot remove the blatant lies the mother told to police. It cannot remove the 31 days before the child was reported missing.

I haven't had time to read this thread yet, so I apologize if something similar has already been posted.

If I were advising the defense on a strategy to avoid the death penalty, one that that at least one or more members of a jury would buy, I would have Casey have a series of different types of brain scans and find an expert witness to testify that at least one of them indicated damage/underdevelopment of the prefrontal cortex, or at least that such damage could not be ruled-out. The expert would testify that such damage would be consistent with the cognitive-behavioral characteristics of the DSM Cluster B personality disorders (Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissistic, and Antisocial). Given the mere POSSIBILITY of such an underlying physical rationale related to Casey’s lack of a moral compass, the jury may still find her guilty, but is not likely to sentence her to death. Of course, the defense expert witness would cite tons of research about how the prefrontal cortex relates to judgment and impulse control, particularly including substance abuse and sexual acting-out.

Just my opinions.
Russell

I haven't had time to read this thread yet, so I apologize if something similar has already been posted.

If I were advising the defense on a strategy to avoid the death penalty, one that that at least one or more members of a jury would buy, I would have Casey have a series of different types of brain scans and find an expert witness to testify that at least one of them indicated damage/underdevelopment of the prefrontal cortex, or at least that such damage could not be ruled-out. The expert would testify that such damage would be consistent with the cognitive-behavioral characteristics of the DSM Cluster B personality disorders (Borderline, Histrionic, Narcissistic, and Antisocial). Given the mere POSSIBILITY of such an underlying physical rationale related to Casey’s lack of a moral compass, the jury may still find her guilty, but is not likely to sentence her to death. Of course, the defense expert witness would cite tons of research about how the prefrontal cortex relates to judgment and impulse control, particularly including substance abuse and sexual acting-out.

Just my opinions.
Russell

Couple problems with this: 1) There's no behavioral evidence of anything approaching legal insanity, and 2) "Normal" is a setting on a washing machine. There isn't that much criteria for that term, re: the central nervous system, barring overt pathology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*