Where will the jury come from?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Someone I know is an acquaintance of CM's former partner. He told her he heard a rumor that Daytona Beach is in the wind. Very similar size and demographics to Orlando - also a tourist town and vacation spot. A jury would be close enough to travel if that's allowed (it's only about an hour) or if relatives can visit. While Volusia County does share some media stations with Orange; it's probably immaterial since JB made sure this case had as much national and international coverage as he could muster. Travel arrangements would be cheaper too as the distance is far less. With gas nearing $4 a gallon, I'm sure that's also a consideration for HHJP - he is trying to shave costs wherever possible.

(Also, Perry is not a good choice, imo - it would be far more suited demographically to the Haleigh Cummings case. It is a town that was pretty much founded I'd heard by GA criminals running across the border. When I lived it FL, we used to think of Deliverance...)

Do you think the DT and SA already know or are they guessing too. Volusia County shares ALL the same media so if they are going there, they might as well stay here. My friends over there watch all the same TV shows and read the Orlando Sentinel so that seems like a waste of the $4 gas all together. :twocents:

I bet your friend has some really interesting insight into this case if they have spoken to CM's former partner. On some other thread I'd love to know what they think of the "doddering old guy" persona.

Someone I know is an acquaintance of CM's former partner. He told her he heard a rumor that Daytona Beach is in the wind. Very similar size and demographics to Orlando - also a tourist town and vacation spot. A jury would be close enough to travel if that's allowed (it's only about an hour) or if relatives can visit. While Volusia County does share some media stations with Orange; it's probably immaterial since JB made sure this case had as much national and international coverage as he could muster. Travel arrangements would be cheaper too as the distance is far less. With gas nearing $4 a gallon, I'm sure that's also a consideration for HHJP - he is trying to shave costs wherever possible.

(Also, Perry is not a good choice, imo - it would be far more suited demographically to the Haleigh Cummings case. It is a town that was pretty much founded I'd heard by GA criminals running across the border. When I lived it FL, we used to think of Deliverance...)

While I will agree regarding the demographics being similar to Putnam County, I was born and raised two counties away from Taylor County (in Suwannee County) and I never heard it was founded by GA criminals running across the border because to get to Taylor County from Georgia, you have to pass through at least one Florida county, either Madison County or Jefferson County before reaching it, and actually Taylor County was named for the 12th President of the United States, Zachary Taylor.

http://www.floridanetlink.com/taylor.php

Do you think the DT and SA already know or are they guessing too. Volusia County shares ALL the same media so if they are going there, they might as well stay here. My friends over there watch all the same TV shows and read the Orlando Sentinel so that seems like a waste of the $4 gas all together. :twocents:

I bet your friend has some really interesting insight into this case if they have spoken to CM's former partner. On some other thread I'd love to know what they think of the "doddering old guy" persona.

I believe it might be an educated guess. My mom lives in Volusia and you're right they get most of the stations, although they certainly have their own. I was visiting when ICA got bonded out and the coverage was intense on Daytona channels, although I think it's a bit less now with the exception of Orlando channels. Even Tampa, in the opposite direction, isn't quite as saturated as it used to be. I'm just saying that it would satisfy the requirement of empaneling a jury technically not from Orlando proper but still be close enough for relatives to easily visit without undue costs. And just as important, the demographics are very similar to Orlando.

I'm thinking the words we all might use to describe CM are "past his prime" and leave it at that. The person might be simply circumspect in his observations, or CM may just be keeping things about the case close to the vest these days so, like most of them, he has enough dirt for a book.

While I will agree regarding the demographics being similar to Putnam County, I was born and raised two counties away from Taylor County (in Suwannee County) and I never heard it was founded by GA criminals running across the border because to get to Taylor County from Georgia, you have to pass through at least one Florida county, either Madison County or Jefferson County before reaching it, and actually Taylor County was named for the 12th President of the United States, Zachary Taylor.

http://www.floridanetlink.com/taylor.php

You could be right. I was told that by a native of Perry years ago, although I've never bothered to research it. I didn't mean that the settlers simply crossed the border, but that it was close enough to provide a safe haven when they did leave GA and that they tended to congregate together perhaps by word of mouth. Heck, a lot of my people came from GA - maybe one or two of them ended up there, lol!

More importantly though, Perry is a very small town - pop less than 10K IIRC. That just wouldn't put the demographics in line with Orlando.

You could be right. I was told that by a native of Perry years ago, although I've never bothered to research it. I didn't mean that the settlers simply crossed the border, but that it was close enough to provide a safe haven when they did leave GA and that they tended to congregate together perhaps by word of mouth. Heck, a lot of my people came from GA - maybe one or two of them ended up there, lol!

More importantly though, Perry is a very small town - pop less than 10K IIRC. That just wouldn't put the demographics in line with Orlando.

It has actually grown a bit. The U.S. Census Bureau 2005 estimate for the county was 19,622. All I know is it is a county that has more pine trees than any other one around that area, just miles and miles and miles of pine trees and palmettos. Definitely not the same demographic of people inhabit Taylor County and Orange County.

it will be seminole county. Largely republican and pro death penalty. It is also the next county over from orange and the court house has plenty or room to park and for news crews. JMHO :)

You've changed my mind about the panhandle. :innocent: The clerks are being paid mileage for 200 miles... if that's round trip that makes it 100 miles away. Now I'm thinking Gainesville. That's Alachua County. The demographics are quite similar to Orange County according to Wikipedia.

Except didn't HHJP say something to the effect that the area has very few tv stations? I am from Gainesville, and Gainesville has several tv stations. Plus, the University of Florida is in Gainesville. However, because of the student murders back in 1990, Gainesville is no stranger to high profile cases.

I guess until it is announced where the jury will be selected from, we could speculate all day long and still not be right. :crazy:

Although....... the more I think about it, surely HHJP wouldn't take that circus to a city where there is a university, and a major one at that.....

What are Starke, Altamonte Hills, and Sebring like? This from a complete non-Floridian.

(ETA: Thanks Capri for the map!)

Starke probably has the mentality of the people in Satsuma plus it is home to Florida State Prison, Union Correctional Institution, and two or three other correctional facilities, and many of the residents in that area are employed at the prisons. To me, it would be very difficult to pick a jury from that potential pool. I know nothing of Altamonte Hills, only Altamonte Springs and I know very little about Sebring but here is a tidbit from wikipedia.

Sebring is located in a fringe viewing area of the Tampa-St. Petersburg television market (DMA). In additon to the primary Tampa-market television signals, local services offer signals from WFTV, the ABC affiliate in Orlando and WINK, the CBS affiliate in Fort Myers/Naples.

Lakeland Florida which is in Polk County sits about halfway between Orlando and Tampa. This might be a decent area. According to the 2008 U.S. Census Bureau estimate, the city had a population of 94,406.

Except didn't HHJP say something to the effect that the area has very few tv stations? I am from Gainesville, and Gainesville has several tv stations. Plus, the University of Florida is in Gainesville. However, because of the student murders back in 1990, Gainesville is no stranger to high profile cases.

I guess until it is announced where the jury will be selected from, we could speculate all day long and still not be right. :crazy:

Although....... the more I think about it, surely HHJP wouldn't take that circus to a city where there is a university, and a major one at that.....

You're so right. We are all just playing a guessing game here. Fun to speculate about I guess but we won't know until it's announced. Too bad I'm not the patient sort... it would be much easier to wait if I were. :innocent:

How about Jacksonville? Duval County or one of the suburb counties like St. Johns or Clay? Somer Thompson's case happened in Clay County and it's doing all the pre-trial stuff right now, but I'm not sure if that will matter.

Their local newspaper has only written 5 articles about Caylee, compared to 100+ for Haleigh Cummings. A search on the local TV news websites shows that they cover the case but not a lot. One of their local news stations aired about 3 Caylee segments in 2010 and 5 Caylee segements in 2009. I don't live there, so I could be wrong about the coverage.

I listened to the HLN program last night that RHornsby was on and was indignant that one of the guys was suggesting it would take a month to seat a jury. They kept saying why does HHJP keep suggesting it would take only a week. What I heard HHJP say is if after a week the SA and the DT is not satisfied they could draw a jury from that area, they will move on to a secondary one, possibly OC. :waitasec:

Now is this another creek with one paddle I am up or what???:banghead:

I listened to the HLN program last night that RHornsby was on and was indignant that one of the guys was suggesting it would take a month to seat a jury. They kept saying why does HHJP keep suggesting it would take only a week. What I heard HHJP say is if after a week the SA and the DT is not satisfied they could draw a jury from that area, they will move on to a secondary one, possibly OC. :waitasec:

Now is this another creek with one paddle I am up or what???:banghead:

I know what you mean. I watched it today. Posted in the jury thread that now I have to wonder if it is going to be possible to seat a jury in 4 or 5 days? :dunno:

Judge Alex said that he had a big DP case that took 30 days to seat a jury!! UGH!! :maddening::maddening:

I really like judge Perry, but is he being realistic about this? :waitasec: :dunno:

I know what you mean. I watched it today. Posted in the jury thread that now I have to wonder if it is going to be possible to seat a jury in 4 or 5 days? :dunno:

Judge Alex said that he had a big DP case that took 30 days to seat a jury!! UGH!! :maddening::maddening:

I really like judge Perry, but is he being realistic about this? :waitasec: :dunno:

I can't wait to see what the defense pulls during jury selection. Good lord what a time that will be.

I can't wait to see what the defense pulls during jury selection. Good lord what a time that will be.

You are probably right Horace but I'm hoping HHJP will keep his word - he has made a commitment to keep the line of questioning very limited when either side speaks to prospective jurors.

HHJP has been getting tougher and tougher lately and he seems to want to just get on with it as much as we do. I hope he manages to keep it somewhat brief.

Listening to HLN made me crazy - according to them there isn't even much of a case! Like it's going to matter if she is a "good mother" or not when she is charged with that child's death. Oh duh! :banghead:

You are probably right Horace but I'm hoping HHJP will keep his word - he has made a commitment to keep the line of questioning very limited when either side speaks to prospective jurors.

HHJP has been getting tougher and tougher lately and he seems to want to just get on with it as much as we do. I hope he manages to keep it somewhat brief.

Listening to HLN made me crazy - according to them there isn't even much of a case! Like it's going to matter if she is a "good mother" or not when she is charged with that child's death. Oh duh! :banghead:

Well I'm thinking if HHJP keeps the defense on a short leash and doesn't allow 50 page questionnaires and endless questioning/editorializing/bizarre arguments, etc...maybe it can be done in a week.

It just seems hard to imagine imo because at the recent hearings we have seen hours wasted on basically simple things and a DT that thinks everything and everyone is in some kind of conspiracy and everything is an amazing, special circumstance. All of that coupled with the total randomness of jury selection will seemingly spell endless nonsense and chicanery. I fully expect "baez" to be paranoid and accusing or suspecting everyone of being a blogger or some type of mole for the prosecution. I anticipate anyone having looked at a computer screen in the past 3 years will be suspect to him.

Well I'm thinking if HHJP keeps the defense on a short leash and doesn't allow 50 page questionnaires and endless questioning/editorializing/bizarre arguments, etc...maybe it can be done in a week. It just seems hard to imagine imo because at the recent hearings we have seen hours wasted on basically simple things and a DT that thinks everything and everyone is in some kind of conspiracy and everything is an amazing, special circumstance. All of that coupled with the total randomness of jury selection will seemingly spell endless nonsense and chicanery.

Didn't HHJP say that they would be doing individual voir dire? :waitasec: That along with the HLN video, make me wonder if it can really be done that quick.

Perhaps HHJP is hoping the fact he has said that if they can't seat the jury from this first location they will come back to Orange County to get jurors - that is suppose to influence the DT to move things along and not delay and pick some jurors

MOO

The only good news, logicalgirl, is that HLN said the same thing about the Scott Peterson trial and were very negative about the chance of a conviction until mid trial when the SA laid all their cards on the table and pieced together the pieces of the puzzle. That is what will happen here.

The SA will methodically take the jury through their case and it will be obvious to all that ICA is the only person that did this to precious Caylee.

I really have faith that all of us will see justice for that sweet little girl that is forgotten by her family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marni
Back