Where will the jury come from?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi md. :seeya: I can't answer for everyone else and for the media but I'm just plain old curious since these folks will hold the fate of the whole case in their hands. After all this time waiting for Caylee's justice, I just wonder who these folks will be.

Hi :seeya: thanks for your reply! So after jury selection we're gonna see who is on the jury? I'm getting a little curious too now :D (Is it correct that every American can be called for jury duty sometime?)

Can someone explain to me why it's so important where the jury will come from? I don't live in the USA so I don't know anything about jury selection/jury duty and all that stuff. We don't have that over here. Maybe a very stupid question but are they gonna stream it live? And why are they trying to keep it a secret? I would really like to know so I can understand what you and the media are talking about :)

I heard that the jurors will not be shown on camera. I think the jury selection will not be televised either. Someone else can answer that. But jury selection can be very important because the US is so diverse and different people view things differently and may tend to be more or less willing to convict a certain person of a certain crime. Other issues can be at play as well. For example, JB is Cuban or Puerto Rican and he has been all over the Spanish-language media conducting interviews or answering questions asserting that his client is innocent. Some people fear that Hispanics may tend to trust "one of their own" more and respect JB greatly as a Hispanic attorney. They fear that could sway the jury towards more leniency for casey.

I'm not so worried about that. Hispanics ADORE their children in general and cannot conceive of someone killing their own kid. Children are a great source of pride for most Hispanics (generalization). Extended family are very important in a child's life in those cultures as well. They are also an incredibly hard working lot, who sacrifice a lot for their kids. I think they will be revolted by a woman living off her parents, refusing to work, who took her baby from the Abuela who was caring for her and then parties like [an unusual person] (please use your imaginations here, but I am thinking of a Spanish word that rhymes with fruit if fruit had an "a" attached) while the baby is missing and then accuses one of their own, using a horribly bad Spanish accent, of kidnapping the baby. So no, I don't mind a jury from Miami-Dade.

In general, a jury from a politically more conservative region is what many look for as they tend to be less inclined to find any possible excuse for the commission of a crime and more inclined to believe the police hone in on a suspect because that person is likely guilty.

However, I do think that individual jurors are more important than the region they come from. Everyone's life experiences are so vast. My feeling is that childless white women in their thirties and forties will be appalled by casey as well as mothers in that age group but perhaps less so as there might be one that sympathizes and imagines that stress caused casey to snap or that it must have been an accident because after all, those little two year olds can really get into things or get away from you before you know it and: "I would hate to have my two year old drown and for me to panic and cover up the accident and then be accused of murder!". Which is ludicrous to me, but someone could think that way.

I also like retirees for this case who have someone in their life like casey, even a kid like casey. Even if they are enablers like the Anthonys. Because they will use casey to punish the relative they cannot or to prove that their relative isn't that bad, somehow psychologically distancing themselves from casey's relatives' situation via proclaiming her guilty and voting for life in prison or death. I know it seems weird, but I can see this.

ETA: Of course, not only white women would be appalled at casey. I read my post and realized how that sounded! But they will be more likely to see her as "one of them" and sometimes people are harder on their peers who commit crimes or sins than they are on "outsiders".

Hi :seeya: thanks for your reply! So after jury selection we're gonna see who is on the jury? I'm getting a little curious too now :D (Is it correct that every American can be called for jury duty sometime?)

Yes. I was in trial last week and our judge was talking at break about having jury duty. The court reporter laughed and said, "Even you are required to have jury duty? And he said, "Yes, but I'll never be selected."

I think it's silly. His courtroom is always so packed and busy and so many cases of ours get continued as a result, so having him have to take the day off for jury duty is annoying!

I'm a bit confused. The location of the jury selection is supposed to be secret. I was wondering why/how the news is saying the county it's in. Thanks! :)

I live in Clearwater and did two drive by's past the Courthouse today. First @ noon. There was one news truck in the parking lot and a guard. Roped off area for news media trucks. I had to go to Orlando for Mother's Day Celebration so I felt like I was on 14 patrol! No Caravans. We're back on the road at 5:30, nothing just increased traffic.
At 7pm there was four trucks, ABC,FOX 13, Orlando Wesh, CH. 28. They stopped us and wanted an interview. I told my husband no, but he said yes (wish he didn't). Media there is just not sure themselves if Casey is coming to town! From Downtown Orlando to Clearwater Courthouse is 1 1/2 hrs. I didn't think there was any $50 hotel rooms nearby but my husband made a few calls and to my surprise $52 was average and there is plenty of rather new, clean hotels to choose from.
Last year I was selected to sit for a drug trial at this Courthouse. We convicted him and he will be locked up for a long time. I believe she will get a fair trial in Pinellas County. Only we have way less Hispanics, but comparable to Orlando. My family and friends in Orlando DO NOT want to talk about Casey's Trial, it's a turn-off. They are sick of hearing about it and will get angry if I mention it. There are plenty of her peers here in Clearwater. I think the problem with seating a jury is the 2 or so months one would have to give up.

I live in Clearwater and did two drive by's past the Courthouse today. First @ noon. There was one news truck in the parking lot and a guard. Roped off area for news media trucks. I had to go to Orlando for Mother's Day Celebration so I felt like I was on 14 patrol! No Caravans. We're back on the road at 5:30, nothing just increased traffic.
At 7pm there was four trucks, ABC,FOX 13, Orlando Wesh, CH. 28. They stopped us and wanted an interview. I told my husband no, but he said yes (wish he didn't). Media there is just not sure themselves if Casey is coming to town! From Downtown Orlando to Clearwater Courthouse is 1 1/2 hrs. I didn't think there was any $50 hotel rooms nearby but my husband made a few calls and to my surprise $52 was average and there is plenty of rather new, clean hotels to choose from.
Last year I was selected to sit for a drug trial at this Courthouse. We convicted him and he will be locked up for a long time. I believe she will get a fair trial in Pinellas County. Only we have way less Hispanics, but comparable to Orlando. My family and friends in Orlando DO NOT want to talk about Casey's Trial, it's a turn-off. They are sick of hearing about it and will get angry if I mention it. There are plenty of her peers here in Clearwater. I think the problem with seating a jury is the 2 or so months one would have to give up.

Who stopped you to ask for an interview?? Were they local or from outside Pinellas County.

I'm watching "Inside American Jail" on Tru TV. Usually they are in Vegas but this looks new...it's Hillsborough County jail! So if that's where she's going we have a glimpse of it!

Before all this speculation gets out of hand, I would suggest that it IS possible that various media have trucks dispatched to a couple of different suspected locations to ensure that when the circus arrives, THEIR station gets the scoop...

This week alone, I have read various posts on various forums suggesting possible location as being Pinellas, Jacksonville, and even Tallahassee....in all these locations, locals have been posting of having received jury notices....

Guess we will all know here in about 9 hours!!!!

An aside.......having friends and family in the Orlando area....I can tell you that it would not not be impossible to seat an impartial jury locally. I happen to be interested in the case....friends and family.....NOT SO MUCH.

The early coverage of the case really wore out the locals. In fact...anymore I don't ask about their opinion because they have long since "tuned out".

Expanding on what HHJP said about a "cooling off period"....IMO Orange County has already had one. Despite local continuous coverage, anyone I have spoken to has indicated they "tune it out".

I know it seems unlikely that locals could be impartial....but one has to accept that media coverage went in one ear and out the other for many folks that were smart enough to realize that coverage was nothing more than an attempt to bolster ratings.

I can not speak for orlando residents at large...I can only share that locals can and have tuned out for quite some time.

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law live in Orlando,also. They haven't followed this case at all. The times I've brought it up they say "oh yeah,I remember hearing something about that".
I'm certain I know far more about this case than anything in my own county.

For some reason I have been thinking it will be where they are now. Why should they leave there. The whole state has been saturated with coverage. I think that is why ICA and JB were so upset last week. They know her goose is cooked.

Erm... Sorry, whatever the crime is and ESPECIALLY when are taken about the murder of an innocent girl and a Defendant on trial for her life, finding an unbiased jury must be more important than satisfying jurors desires, wants and conveniences.

I agree that finding unbiased jurors that can set aside anything they've heard about this case and judge it based on the evidence presented is the most important issue.

In this case, you might have a jury pool of 200 potential jurors. In that pool will likely be many who would be considered unbiased or able to set aside anything they've heard about the case and judge it based on the evidence presented.

But, because of the length of the trial, there will immediately be many dismissed, probably more than half, because of:

disability - hearing or visual loss

chronic illness

single parent, primary breadwinner, who would suffer financial loss due to the length of time away from work

business owner, who cannot be away from work for that length of time

person, who is the primary care-giver for an elderly person

person, who is scheduled for surgery during the two months of the trial

person, who can serve and is unbiased, but is opposed to the death penalty

person, who simply does not want to serve on this case and will claim they're biased or opposed to the death penalty in order to be dismissed

There are many reasons why the jury pool will be substantially reduced on an immediate basis. Among those who are immediately dismissed may be people who would be perfect jurors, but the length of the trial impacts their ability to serve.

So, we're left with a substantially reduced jury pool who will undergo questioning by the state and the defense. Both state and defense have an unlimited number of dismissals. A juror may be able to serve, be unbiased, and not opposed to the death penalty, but depending on which side is considering him or her, will be dismissed due to other factors.

Both the state and the defense will be looking at the job the person has, male or female, their life circumstances (married, single, divorced, widowed, children, no children, young, old, college education, high school education, etc.), and other factors in choosing the juror they think would favor their side.

I really think the length of the trial will impact potential jurors. For example, with a shorter trial of 2 - 4 weeks, the single mother-primary breadwinner might be able to serve because she has 3-weeks of paid jury duty, but not 8 weeks.

My local TV station showed the media trucks parked at Pinnelas Courthouse and included in the group of media is the NBC Today Show.

Someone at HM posted a youtube video of the Pinellas courthouse at 5:00 today. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrFiQBkN4UM&feature=player_profilepage[/ame]

I agree that finding unbiased jurors that can set aside anything they've heard about this case and judge it based on the evidence presented is the most important issue.

In this case, you might have a jury pool of 200 potential jurors. In that pool will likely be many who would be considered unbiased or able to set aside anything they've heard about the case and judge it based on the evidence presented.

But, because of the length of the trial, there will immediately be many dismissed, probably more than half, because of:

disability - hearing or visual loss

chronic illness

single parent, primary breadwinner, who would suffer financial loss due to the length of time away from work

business owner, who cannot be away from work for that length of time

person, who is the primary care-giver for an elderly person

person, who is scheduled for surgery during the two months of the trial

person, who can serve and is unbiased, but is opposed to the death penalty

person, who simply does not want to serve on this case and will claim they're biased or opposed to the death penalty in order to be dismissed

There are many reasons why the jury pool will be substantially reduced on an immediate basis. Among those who are immediately dismissed may be people who would be perfect jurors, but the length of the trial impacts their ability to serve.

So, we're left with a substantially reduced jury pool who will undergo questioning by the state and the defense. Both state and defense have an unlimited number of dismissals. A juror may be able to serve, be unbiased, and not opposed to the death penalty, but depending on which side is considering him or her, will be dismissed due to other factors.

Both the state and the defense will be looking at the job the person has, male or female, their life circumstances (married, single, divorced, widowed, children, no children, young, old, college education, high school education, etc.), and other factors in choosing the juror they think would favor their side.

I really think the length of the trial will impact potential jurors. For example, with a shorter trial of 2 - 4 weeks, the single mother-primary breadwinner might be able to serve because she has 3-weeks of paid jury duty, but not 8 weeks.

BBM. Not quite. Both sides have an unlimited number of dismissals for cause. That's where the judge come in. He can decide if there is cause and that is not necessarily easy to prove. They have a limited number of peremptory challenges without having to show cause but I don't know how many of those they have in Florida or if that number ever varies.

The cause shown must be sufficient to prove the potential juror may be prejudiced.

Of course none of this changes the point you were making, which is a very good one, but I wanted point that out because it does make the voir dire process less time consuming than it otherwise would be.

By the way, earlier I said that the judge doesn't do much but watch during this process but I guess that's not very accurate. Challenges to a potential juror are where the judge can have the biggest impact, in how he rules on the challenge. However, if a side does not challenge a potential juror and the judge thinks that person may be prejudiced, I don't think there is much the judge could do. Like I said, though, I don't do jury trials so this isn't my area of expertise so hopefully if I'm wrong about the judge's power in the jury selection process, someone will correct me!

In about one hour we should know. I read yesterday that the media would be informed at 8AM. A lot of the papers are reporting Pinellas co.
WFTV has their link to watch media selection at 9AM. Gonna keep checking back with WFTV and see.

WATCH LIVE: Jury Selection Coverage At 9am http://www.wftv.com/news/27816769/detail.html

Local news stations here in Tampa are showing live shots. 9 media trucks onsite. Bay News 9 saying it's confirmed (didn't list source). Sheriff's deputies walking into court house at 6:00 AM.

News received email from judge. pinellas county

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marni