GUILTY WI - Bart, 50, and Krista Halderson, 53, found deceased, Windsor, 1 Jul 2021 *son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I always like to think about if defense attorneys genuinely believe what they say in their opening statement (particularly with things like my client did not, could not, would not type of stuff).

this has reminded me some of the Joel Guy Jr case.

Last edited:
His defence team can only do what he tells them, many defendants would not go to trial with this much evidence but he has chosen too, they will have to try to attack states evidence, from openings they are going to focus their main defence on what happened in the home, and they argue that nobody knows what happened in the home during the murders, thus state can't prove he did it, what happened before the murders or post the murders is not the defences main focus, just the actual murders,

the state has overwhelming evidence of pre and post the murders, and they know how his father was murdered, but the actual murders are the only area that the defence can attempt to cast doubt,

to me it is obvious he did it, but state has to prove it, and defence has to provide him with a defence no matter how difficult it is

I always like to think about if defense attorneys genuinely believe what they say in their opening statement (particularly with things like my client did not, could not, would not type of stuff).

this has reminded me some of the Joel Guy Jr case.

I also think he sounds a lot like Joel Guy, living off parents, maintaining elaborate lies over years then when found out (in Joels case his parents were not going to fund him anymore) they killed their parents, why would getting a job and telling the truth be so hard, instead they kill their parents, dismember them and think they are so clever they will get away with it,

Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie
· 1h
Nelson: [#ChandlerHalderson] told me that he wanted to report that his parents were missing ... He seemed quiet, what I would describe as maybe lethargic. It seemed like he was maybe tired as he was describing the fact that he hadn't seen his parents since the previous week.

Tajma Hall NBC15
@TajmaHallTV

·
1h

Cross examination begins for Deputy Nelson. Defense asks where he walked in the home and how he became familiar with the home. Defense asks about home renovations. Nelson is clear from witness stand. #haldersontrial #ChandlerHalderson
@nbc15_madison

Tajma Hall NBC15
@TajmaHallTV

The state’s second witness takes the stand. Josh Seeley, Deputy sheriff for Dane Co. Full time patrol for Windsor where the Haldersons lived. #haldersontrial #ChandlerHalderson
@nbc15_madison

Tajma Hall NBC15
@TajmaHallTV

·
1h

When asked why he thought his parents were missing, deputy Seely says Chandler stated because their phones were going to voicemail. #ChandlerHalderson
@nbc15_madison

Tajma Hall NBC15
@TajmaHallTV

·
1h

Deputy Seely says chandler showed no sense of urgency when reporting his parents missing. Defense cross examined by asking one question: had he met Chandler before. Deputy Seely said no. #ChandlerHalderson
@nbc15_madison

Tajma Hall NBC15
@TajmaHallTV

·
58m

Third witness is another deputy part of the investigation. Deputy Hayley Collins-LaFever. She says she asked Chandler if his parents had medical issues. She noted he told her his mother Krista has just been diagnosed with skin cancer. #ChandlerHalderson

[URL='https://twitter.com/TajmaHallTV']Tajma Hall NBC15

@TajmaHallTV[/URL]

Defense objected to witness answering a question about a note left on the table in the Halderson home when investigators were first there. Judge overruled objection. #ChandlerHalderson
@nbc15_madison

Tajma Hall NBC15
@TajmaHallTV

Exhibit 35 is the note from the kitchen table. Chandler said it was a note from his mom saying hope your day goes well with a phone number from someone named Pam. It’s now entered into evidence. #ChandlerHalderson
@nbc15_madison

Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie

·
58m

Collins-LaFever: [Halderson] claimed that he had also asked his parents on Thursday the 1st who these friends are that his parents were going with [to the cabin], and they were not direct with him. #ChandlerHalderson
@LawCrimeNetwork

[URL='https://twitter.com/TajmaHallTV']Tajma Hall NBC15
@TajmaHallTV[/URL]
·
49m

Witness testifies that Chandler told her he fell down the stairs and hit his head and suffered a concussion. #ChandlerHalderson
@nbc15_madison

Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie

·
43m

The state's next witness called is Brian Shunk, a detective with the Dane County Sheriff's Office. #ChandlerHalderson
@LawCrimeNetwork

Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie

·
39m

Shunk: Chandler told me much of the same as what we've already heard. His parents had gone missing after reportedly going to their cabin. Chandler said he had helped them pack on the evening of July 1. #ChandlerHalderson
@LawCrimeNetwork

Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie

·
29m

Something of note that will likely come up often in this trial: Shunk confirms a pane of glass is broken in the Halderson family fireplace. Brown also touched on this during the prosecution's opening statements. #ChandlerHalderson
@LawCrimeNetwork

Prosecutors claim Chandler Halderson killed parents after lies about college were exposed
MADISON, Wis. — Prosecutors in the Chandler Halderson trial claimed during opening statements Tuesday that the 23-year-old killed his parents after a web of lies about college and work were possibly exposed.

Dane Co. Assistant District Attorney William Brown said he will seek to prove that Chandler Halderson had consistently lied to his parents about getting a degree and work when they had pressed him about earning money and paying rent.

“The evidence in this case, you’ll find, is overwhelming,” Brown said. “Chandler Halderson killed his parents on July 1, 2021. He cut up their bodies with axes and saws and knives, and he didn’t even give them the dignity of having a funeral or even a final resting place in one piece or together.”

Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie

M. Halderson testifies he believed his brother worked at American Family Insurance and was attending Madison College before his parents went missing.

Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie

·
49s

Andrea Raymond, Prosecutor: Are you the beneficiary of your parents' life insurance policy? M. Halderson: I am ... They have a few different policies. It in is in the ballpark, if I'm remembering correctly, $1 million.

[URL='https://twitter.com/sierragillespie']Sierra Gillespie

@sierragillespie[/URL]
·
1m

The prosecution wraps its direct examination by asking whether Mitchell Halderson had anything to do with his parents' murders. He says no, he did not. With that, defense attorney Catherine Dorl begins cross-examination.

Prosecution: Caught in web of lies, Chandler Halderson killed parents

Chandler Halderson was living a lie, the prosecution in his murder trial said Tuesday — about having a job, going to school and having a better job waiting for him in Florida.

And when his father figured it out, the prosecution claims, Halderson decided to kill him and his mother and dispose of their bodies, first in the family fireplace and then around southern Wisconsin — and then he lied about that, too.

Halderson, 23, presented himself to the world as a soon-to-be graduate of a renewable resources engineering program at Madison Area Technical College with a job at American Family Insurance but a better one waiting for him at Elon Musk's SpaceX, Deputy District Attorney William Brown said in his opening statement

I definitely could see this happening (think the Jayme Closs case), but I would have to think that in general, two larger people could and would likely physically fight back against someone with a gun that's roughly average height for an adult male that's on the smaller side weight wise. I would have to think that in this scenario, a victim would more likely not make it if they were ambushed and completely unaware of the fact that someone was around with a weapon or if their attacker came at them with their weapon under circumstances where there would not be time to fight back - ie. pulled their weapon mid conversation and charged/shot immediately.

This is very obviously just in general terms and not at all accusing anyone of having done this.
Looks like I was right about this on 7/8...

'I felt like I needed to do something:' Brother of Chandler Halderson testifies in homicide trial
MADISON, Wis. — The brother of Chandler Halderson says he wasn’t very worried about his parents’ whereabouts until Chandler himself said he was concerned.

Testifying in his brother’s homicide trial Tuesday morning, Mitchell Halderson said it was not like his parents to go up to their cabin in Langlade County on 4th of July weekend without saying something to him, but his concern grew when Chandler said he still hadn’t heard from them by the time he claimed they would be back.

Mitchell described Krista Halderson as a “helicopter parent,” and said she would have let him know if they were leaving town.

Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie

·
1m

The state calls its next witness, John Poehnelt. He is a store leader at a
@KwikTrip
located on Stoughton Road. (For all you non-Wisconsinites, Kwik Trip is a beloved gas station that is frequented by most people). #ChandlerHalderson
@LawCrimeNetwork

The jury is shown security footage from July 1, 2021 at Kwik Trip. Poehnelt testifies a Zimbrick dealership is nearby this location. There is no cross-examination or re-direct. Poehnelt is excused. #ChandlerHalderson
@LawCrimeNetwork

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper