GUILTY WI - Bart, 50, and Krista Halderson, 53, found deceased, Windsor, 1 Jul 2021 *son arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie

The next witness called is Daniel Kroninger, who is was a body shop estimater at Zimbrick Body Shop in July 2021. Kroninger tells jurors he was a co-worker and friend of Krista Halderson, who visited her family home and met Bart Halderson.
Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie

·
19s

Kroninger: We drove over to her house to see if I could get ahold of anyone ... Just 'cause it's weird for her not to show up to work and I was living just a couple miles away at the time.

Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie

·
17s

Kroninger testifies he looked through a window of the Halderson home and noticed a table on its side. After that, he spoke with the defendant, Chandler Halderson, outside the home.

Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie

·
2m

Kroninger: He had given us a story about how they had gone up north in an emergency to the cabin with a couple, that he was not sure who they were. That they were picked up earlier that day ... That they would be gone for a couple of days. #ChandlerHalderson
@LawCrimeNetwork

Here are a few texts between Kroninger and the defendant in July 2021. Note: Chandler Halderson's nickname is "Chaz." #ChandlerHalderson
@LawCrimeNetwork

3:56 PM · Jan 4, 2022·Twitter Web App

Last edited:

Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie

·
2m

The state's next witness is Pamela "Pam" Sidwell, who was a neighbor, former co-worker, "walking buddy" and "very good friend" of Krista Halderson.

Sierra Gillespie
@sierragillespie

·
6s

Sidwell testifies she told Krista Halderson she could be on standby to watch over the defendant on Wednesday, June 30, 2021, because of his concussion. Sidwell testifies that she then allowed Krista to give the defendant her phone number.

This local summary from the DeForest/Windsor paper is long and worth a read if you need to catch up on today:
Halderson trial begins

Dane County assistant district attorney William Brown opened the trial of Chandler M. Halderson on Tuesday morning with a detailed backstory of the defendant’s actions and then a timeline of early July 2021 events surrounding the murder and dismemberment of Bart and Krista Halderson of Windsor.

Chandler is the 23-year-son of the couple. He is charged with two felony counts each of first degree intentional homicide. Providing false information about a kidnapped or missing person, mutilating a corpse, and hiding a corpse.

the pandemic helped the defendant perpetuate his lies for longer, in differing times questions would have been asked earlier and he would have been found to be a fantasist and liar earlier, during covid times he could say he was doing his college work online, he made up an online job which he was doing online at home,

then when he finally realised that he couldn't maintain his lies and more questions were being asked he fell down the stairs and now could use his new health issues to perpetuate more lies,

and when finally exposed he killed them, it is an extraordinary tale that is just astonishing to contemplate,

I hate to think about it this way, but this could be his criminal defense: Brain injuries can cause some people to become violent criminals and pedophiles — here's what scientists know so far about why that is

My ex had probably one of the most serious concussions one could get while we were dating and were around the same age as CH. He could barely use his phone for 2 months and had to wear sunglasses inside until probably about the month and a half mark. Had to go on a yearlong medical leave from school, wasn't able to drive for 3-ish months and when he did go back to school he had to have a software that read all of his assignments and was prescribed meds for ADHD which he definitely didn't have before.

Using that situation as an example of a "severe concussion" I would say that CH's concussion was likely milder than this, and probably had occurred at least a week prior to 7/1, given he was still "not good" yet was able to function to the point where he was driving a vehicle and doing various maneuvers.... if he even had a concussion
Bringing this discussion of concussions/head injuries back down for topicality purposes.

The biggest thing that stood out to me from day one of the trial was the testimony from MH about receiving a BULLET from his brother as a gift after the T1D dx. My brothers are around the same age as these two brothers and are also avid gamers - it sounds like they enjoy the same first person shooter games as the Halderson brothers, so I have familiarity with the general behavior of these types of guys. This does not sound like normal behavior from someone in this age group. Like at all. Your brother receives a life changing medical diagnosis and you give him a bullet as a present? TBH that sounds more like a threat to me than a "I hope you can manage this and get healthy again and I want a cure just as bad as you do" kind of gift.

Currently testifying is a close family friend of Bart and Krista Halderson, Michael Hilgendorf, who MH mentioned yesterday as being known as an aunt/uncle figure. His wife Jane and daughters Hannah and Hailey are testifying today as well.

Tajma Hall NBC15
@TajmaHallTV

·
5m

Michael Hilgendorf is next witness. He says he went to middle school with Krista Halderson and knew the couple welll. #chandlerhalderson #HaldersonTrial
@nbc15_madison

Tajma Hall NBC15
@TajmaHallTV

·
3m

Hilgendorf says his family was very close to the Haldersons. His daughters are close in age to the Halderson sons.

Tajma Hall NBC15
@TajmaHallTV

Hilgendorf worked with Krista at a used car dealership in Madison. He said he got a call on Friday July 2 that Krista did not show up to work. He thought it was odd. #chandlerhalderson #haldersontrial
@nbc15_madison

Last edited:
Will be updating this and the media thread at the end of the day with the witness testimony - stream cut off for awhile because Law and Crime accidentally showed the jury.

from all the witnesses who knew the victims they were very well liked and respected, their deaths have rippled far out from just the family, so sad, he had so many more options, I think if he had told them all of his lies and apologised they wouldn't have cast him out, they would have helped him sort out any problems he had, and tried to help him get back on track, this is just my observations from what witnesses have testified about his parents,

Brother, officers testify in Halderson case
Chandler Halderson is charged with two felony counts each of each of first degree intentional homicide, false reporting of a missing or kidnapped person, mutilation of corpse, and hiding a corpse.

The Dane County Circuit Court trial began Tuesday with opening statements from both sides, followed by prosecution witnesses.

Prosecutors believe Halderson killed his parents on July 1. He reported them missing to the Dane County Sheriff’s Department on July 7, and he was arrested the next day as evidence mounted. Chandler Halderson requested a speedy trial and it has moved the case to a jury trial faster than the usual timeline.

Are they still thinking this is going to be a few weeks? Seems like the State is moving through their witnesses very quickly

also, it will be interesting to see what the Defense tries to make of him asking most of the neighbors if they had surveillance cameras and if the cameras could see their house. I’m guessing, if they try to address it at all, it will be from the standpoint of a “very concerned son” trying to help the police help find his parents

Are they still thinking this is going to be a few weeks? Seems like the State is moving through their witnesses very quickly

also, it will be interesting to see what the Defense tries to make of him asking most of the neighbors if they had surveillance cameras and if the cameras could see their house. I’m guessing, if they try to address it at all, it will be from the standpoint of a “very concerned son” trying to help the police help find his parents
I don’t think anyone thinks it’s going to be 3 weeks anymore. Defense is not cross examining AT ALL.

'That's not my best friend:' Family friends dispute version of events described by Chandler Halderson
Prosecutors called members of the Hilgendorf family to the witness stand on Wednesday morning. Jane Hilgendorf said she first met Krista Halderson in middle school and they had been best friends since their freshman year at East High School in Madison more than 30 years ago. She testified she thought it was unusual that Krista Halderson had apparently not shown up to work on Friday, July 2 without calling in.

“That’s not my best friend,” Jane Hilgendorf said she thought to herself at the time.

Also what on Earth was this type of “gift” Chandler gave his brother after gusbT1D diagnosis?! a bullet with “get well soon” on it.

https://twitter.com/sierragillespie/status/1478451706266595333?s=20
Is CH THAT dense that he's so unaware of the disease process of T1D/the complications involved that you don't just "get well soon"? I've gotta assume that living in that house, hearing his mom worry about how his brother was doing and knowing that this was going to be a lifelong thing and source of extra worry in their lives, CH saw this diagnosis as BH/KH's attention being focused more on his brother than him, and he wants to be the center of attention -- thus the bullet and then the concussion.
In my mind this is something I definitely saw as a threat, especially if it's revealed later that LE and ballistics experts were able to trace this bullet back to the SKS that was the murder weapon. I rewatched this bit of testimony last night because I was in a meeting during the majority of the MH stuff... took a look at his body language and inflection and the way he spit out his brother's name and was holding back rage during almost the entire 20 minutes he testified was really telling. That kid is tough as nails for going through all he has within the last 7-8 months while staying relatively calm on the stand.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HazardPay
Back