Identified! WI - Delafield, WhtMale, UP7632, car stolen, lighter, Sep'77 - John Lindberg Scott

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
bumping while I have insomnia. Curious to know if mas' made it to Wheaton to check out the library Monday. and a little lol, I haven't heard anyone use the word "fried" in ages!

A little to report on my end. My old roommate is gonna take a peak at the photo's for our Delafield John Doe. It's a long shot, but they would be in the same age range and back in the 70's my old roommie had been in trouble. If our Delafied John Doe had run around in DuPage-not far from Wheaton- he may have run into my old roomie whose old neck of the woods was Elmhurst back then. I'll ask if he has any idea's for this case. While we are friends, we became friends years after he became sober and some of his stories of his younger days left me wide eyed thinking it was a good thing we didn't know each other when he was in that kind of trouble or we'd have never become friends. He's the one who taught me my 'street smarts' so he might have some new sleuthing idea's.

As I mentioned, it is a long shot, but "a no stone left unturned" long shot. I'll hopefully see him before the 10th.

Unfortunately I did not make it to Wheaton. And no, I wasn't too "fried"...I completely spaced on having to watch my nephew on Monday; his school was/is closed for the holiday and I told my sister a few months ago that I would take him. I'm glad my dad reminded me at the game.... :doh: I don't think a soon-to-be 5 year old would have been too keen on the long car trip, unless it was for Spongebob or Thomas the Train.

I did get a "Happy New Year" email from the Waukesha Co. Detective; he stated he'll be back in action on 1/3/11 and is going to look into what we presented to him then.

Nothing from Chicago, but I do plan on "saying hi" after the New Year as well.

I still plan on, and will, get down there in the near future...

Unfortunately I did not make it to Wheaton. And no, I wasn't too "fried"...I completely spaced on having to watch my nephew on Monday; his school was/is closed for the holiday and I told my sister a few months ago that I would take him. I'm glad my dad reminded me at the game.... :doh: I don't think a soon-to-be 5 year old would have been too keen on the long car trip, unless it was for Spongebob or Thomas the Train.

I did get a "Happy New Year" email from the Waukesha Co. Detective; he stated he'll be back in action on 1/3/11 and is going to look into what we presented to him then.

Masnitram,

It's nice to see all the hard work you are doing to identify this JD. I hope the detective has some answers for you soon!!!

Thanks! Chaddeylex...I hope so too.

One thing that he did bring up in the email is that the fingerprint card that our JD was processed with is no longer in possession due to the purge back in the early 80's. That unfortunately eliminates any chance of anyone giving it a second look to 'modernize' and run against anyone in the database.

Thanks! Chaddeylex...I hope so too.

One thing that he did bring up in the email is that the fingerprint card that our JD was processed with is no longer in possession due to the purge back in the early 80's. That unfortunately eliminates any chance of anyone giving it a second look to 'modernize' and run against anyone in the database.

That stinks about the fingerprint card! Their should be a law that unsolved case files and evidence should have to be kept, especially now with the DNA solving so many crimes!

Well, he might have been up to a trip to Wheaton.... Wheaton has a small 5 acre Zoo -Cosley Zoo almost next to the current court house and jail.
http://www.cosleyzoo.org/

But yes, delving in research would be difficult with a 5 yr old. Hopefully you'll find another weekend or day off to get out this way. The weather wasn't spectacular over the Christmas weekend either so maybe best to put it off for a bit. I'd offer, but I know when one becomes almost obsessed with a case they just want to get out there and dig into the research themself. Please let me know if I can offer any more help or suggestions as a local.

I will be calling the DuPage ME soon about something entirely different but if there are a few breif questions I can ask him about this case or idea's for this case please let me know.

Keep up the good work mas'

Well, he might have been up to a trip to Wheaton.... Wheaton has a small 5 acre Zoo -Cosley Zoo almost next to the current court house and jail.
http://www.cosleyzoo.org/

But yes, delving in research would be difficult with a 5 yr old. Hopefully you'll find another weekend or day off to get out this way. The weather wasn't spectacular over the Christmas weekend either so maybe best to put it off for a bit. I'd offer, but I know when one becomes almost obsessed with a case they just want to get out there and dig into the research themself. Please let me know if I can offer any more help or suggestions as a local.

I will be calling the DuPage ME soon about something entirely different but if there are a few breif questions I can ask him about this case or idea's for this case please let me know.

Keep up the good work mas'

Thanks Cubby! I am leaning towards early February for a rescheduled visit. January is a bit too hectic; both of my boys have January B-day's and we have a lot going on. Maybe you could ask the DuPage ME if he/she knows if Gaede's had a deal with the jail regarding clothing for released inmates? Seems innocent enough to me....perhaps he/she would know. Not really in a ME's job description I understand...but as you've pointed out to me before, getting ANYTHING out of DuPage is like pulling teeth.

I will ask. I'm not sure how long he has been the ME, I'll have to go back and look. I don't think since 77 - but he has for a good long time. I may not have the chance to call until after the 10th when the kiddo goes back to school. Mom gets on the phone and my son decides to talk talk talk away two feet from me when I try to make calls. Kids! It's better for me to make them while he is at school.

Happy early New Year to our Delafield JD. Praying 2011 is the year we can get you home!

Cubby

I found an article from the "Milwaukee Journal" back in 1980 that has some interesting information on this case.

1. The UID rode a bicycle to the home where the car was stolen, and subsequently left the bike there.
2. The article states the lighter has the inscription "To John Love Laura" and not "Lauri" as previously indicated
3. No "John" was reported missing from the Gurnee area at the time

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...WoaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uCsEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4749,1755853

Fascinating case! But I am having trouble reading the continuation of the article, where it says "Accident continued on page 10." I can't find the rest of it! What page number needs to be in the Goggle Navigation box to see the rest of the article?

Satch

PS. Found the rest! Page 25 in Google Viewer for that article. Some of the words are whited out unfortunately, and the article is not facing properly in the microfilm. But it's all there.

One thing about this JD that has stuck with me was the presumption that this incident more then likely wasn't his first stolen vehicle/crime. I did a little digging on other auto theft cases from WI/IL circa 1975-early September1977 and came across a few people I've been trying to locate. Out of the three people I've "dug" into, the only one I can't seem to locate anything concrete about is named "John"!

I'm going to keep digging before submitting anything to LE.

With that, is there anyone who has any worked with the Park Forest and/or Crete, Illinois PD?

Can you post what you found about the person named John - if these were in MSM articles? Did you check the SSDI for the person? What about integrascan? or veromi? I sometimes like to use both.

Not familiar with anyone from LE in Park Forest or Crete - they are pretty far south from the Wheaton area if that helps. It would be an appx 1 or so drive with traffic. Unsure if that helps or not, but thought I'd add it....

Also, did the info on this John give an age? What identifiers were available we can help with?

tia

Can you post what you found about the person named John - if these were in MSM articles? Did you check the SSDI for the person? What about integrascan? or veromi? I sometimes like to use both.

Not familiar with anyone from LE in Park Forest or Crete - they are pretty far south from the Wheaton area if that helps. It would be an appx 1 or so drive with traffic. Unsure if that helps or not, but thought I'd add it....

Also, did the info on this John give an age? What identifiers were available we can help with?

tia

Feel free to edit if this is tmi regarding a person who potentially is completely innocent/unrelated to this JD.

Here is the article I found the info (below). This John was 28 in August of 1977. I found a 61 year old John listed as living in Crete,IL on Radaris and Veromi. However I can't find anything to prove or disprove that the information is accurate. When I use other search engines etc...I get absolutely nothing.

Listed on the far right under the "Metropolitan" heading.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/620235432.html?dids=620235432:620235432&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:AI&type=historic&date=Aug+12%2C+1977&author=&pub=Chicago+Tribune&desc=Smash+suburban+car-theft+operation&pqatl=google

Attachments

I think 28 is too old at the time for our UID. Probably not our guy...... I don't have time to search right this minute... but I think if one of the 4 arrested suspects didn't show up for trial that would make news. Did you google to see if you could find any info on a trial relating to these four car theifs? I'd also guess if this John was our John his missing any court appearances would have had him on LE's radar and our John would have been id'd back in 77. If anyone can find any follow up MSM on the auto theft ring following our UID's located date, I think we can conclusively rule out this John as our John..... I will dig more on the veromi people engine searches when I have a little more time.

hth

I think 28 is too old at the time for our UID. Probably not our guy...... I don't have time to search right this minute... but I think if one of the 4 arrested suspects didn't show up for trial that would make news. Did you google to see if you could find any info on a trial relating to these four car theifs? I'd also guess if this John was our John his missing any court appearances would have had him on LE's radar and our John would have been id'd back in 77. If anyone can find any follow up MSM on the auto theft ring following our UID's located date, I think we can conclusively rule out this John as our John..... I will dig more on the veromi people engine searches when I have a little more time.

hth

John Doe, according to Waukesha County was estimated to be 26. I didn't flinch when I read about this John being 28...didn't seem to unreasonable IMO.

I do agree that if he did vanish and was due in court that he should have been on the LE radar. From my prior contact with Waukesha County, they did check the surrounding counties for any missing convicts etc....it is unclear if they looked as far south as Will County, IL. I am looking into anyone involved in this case who may not have shown up for court; I'll post anything I find.

The reason I brought this up again was because of the nature of the crime and the presumed "criminal history" of JD. Something has to "connect" JD to the area...

I know from living in Wisconsin that LE loves to pull over Illinois drivers, and vice versa...I'm hoping that the two states didn't treat eachothers cases with the same "tact" then. Not that they'd ever admit to it ;-)

Update from the article:

John C.- located; now living in North Carolina. Found his date of birth on-line and from there found that he moved from Crete, IL to North Carolina a few years back.

Anton H.- located; still living in Illinois

Larry O.- not confirmed; still looking into his whereabouts

Unless Larry is located (due to the relatively common name, both first and last there is a lot to look at) we're back to square one. I knew it would be a longshot, but I guess that is why we do what we do...leaving no stone unturned.

John Doe, according to Waukesha County was estimated to be 26. I didn't flinch when I read about this John being 28...didn't seem to unreasonable IMO.

masnitram' My mistake. I don't know why I was thinking our 'John' was in his earlier 20's.

masnitram' My mistake. I don't know why I was thinking our 'John' was in his earlier 20's.

No problem Cubby! I hope you didn't take my reply as a "dig" or anything negative either. There are several reports out there that do have him estimated as being between 17-25 so I completely understand.

I did make email contact with the Sheriff in Park Forest, IL about the "John" from the article and any potential ties to our "John". His reply was basically "who are you?" and "why are you inquiring?"... I hope my explanation will open up some more dialogue. I kept my reply compliant (per site rules) and concise; in a nutshell I asked if anyone related to that case disappeared, if anyone named "Lauri" was a known associate of "John", and/or if our "John" matched the description of any known criminals/suspects from that time frame completely unrelated to this particular case. I did include much of the information and suspicions about our John and why it may be relevant to him and his jurisdiction. I'll keep you posted.

Not at all! It was one of those :doh: moments on my end.

I just noticed that on Classmates.com that I have access to posted yearbooks. I've noticed that a few from the early 70's are available for Wheaton and Gurnee (Warren Township H.S.). If I find anything noteworthy I will be sure to pass along an update accordingly. I'm going to see what is available for Waukegan, Zion, Winthrop Harbor, etc....(I'm not really well versed in northern IL high schools....so this should be quite an adventure).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back