GUILTY WI - Dr. Beth Potter and husband murdered at UW Arboretum, Madison, March 2020 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The daughter’s text messages indicate she saw the van returning.

11:19:14PM- Sent a text to SD: “I hear him I think tho” 11:19:18PM- Sent a text to SD: “Like I think he just pulled up”. 11:19:20PM- Sent a text to SD: “Like w someone”. 11:19:30PM- Sent a text to SD: “But yes its him”. 11:19:30PM- Sent a text to SD: “But yes its him”.
04/07/2020 5

Did she see them pull up out of a window? Then did she see them discarding the items in the woods?

11:22:00PM- Sent a text to SD: “It’s Huncho”
11:22:07PM- Sent a text to SD: “His friend got into a situation”.

There’s only 3 minutes between when she sees them return...sees that Khari has Huncho with him.

but yet she has an “explanation” for her friend as to why Khari is not alone? How could she know anything new in 3 minutes? Excuse making? How could she know of a “situation.”

Then three minutes later...they are all together and she wants to cry but she’s still texting...still has time to text. How much talking could she have done with them...after they have been gone for hours and he wasn’t answering his phone?

11:26:37PM- Sent a text to SD, “I wanna cry rn but I’m also in a apartment w them and it’s literally 2 and a half rooms so that is fun”.

The timing doesn’t make sense to me unless she needed very little explanation.

Yet when she is interviewed by police, she has a detailed alibi up and ready to go.
Has it been said who SD is??

LE says this was, at first, an attempted robbery.

He took the car and left M alone in the apartment. He picked up his friend.

I believe the AA states that the van drove back and forth many times...repeatedly passing the victims house.

Where did M think he was?

Suddenly, almost immediately after the crime, she texts him to bring the car back. Have someone pick him up...presumably to go out again.

Where did M think he needed to go?

But her texts indicate she sees the van pull up. Says it’s the accomplice. Can she see them through the window? The AA says they then were seen throwing things in the woods. Did M see that too?

I wonder where the parking was and the area where the phone and letter were found... in relation to her windows.

LE said it was an attempted robbery. What does that mean, K went in there while they were sleeping and rummaged through the house looking for money?! If they woke up and saw him he knows he was done and would be arrested UNLESS he had this friend go in and try the robbery and got caught. Very confusing.

It was a robbery with a gun....an armed robbery. That is so much more to me than catching kids looking through my desk or something.

Khari believed there was money in that house but he must have had some idea where to look. The other kid may not have ever been inside...in any event would not be as familiar in the dark with the layout.

So I think they both parked and went in. The parents were sleeping separately from what I believe...self isolating. I’m thinking at some point they got them both up at gunpoint.

After that, Khari has a dilemma. He either needs to get money enough to finance some kind of “get out of Dodge” for Miriam and himself...and he has to take care of his accomplice.

or kill them and get Miriam to alibi him.

He went for plan B.

<modsnip> I think the daughter was just as empathetic as her mother. Charming, sweet-talking con-artists are attracted to them like moths to a flame and women don't see it coming because the narcissism is so well-hidden...at first. Once they lure their victim into their web, they demand total control. They drive a wedge between the girlfriend and her support system. They blame everyone else for their actions. And it often boils down to greed.

Rates of domestic violence during the pandemic have escalated. I think the parents made it clear if the daughter wanted to play house, both of them needed to get jobs and support themselves. So, the killer decided they needed to be punished.

Until I learn otherwise, I'm going to treat the daughter as a victim.

JMO

Domestic violence cases increase 79 percent in Treasure Coast counties during COVID-19 pandemic

I respect your opinion and most cases DV is rapid during this Covid-19.

However JMO this premeditated crime was set in place before the pandemic.

A storm with 2 tornado's pulling a third one in.

Time will tell.
Mom and Dad in MOO are the true victims.
Heartbreaking for those sons, family, loved ones, patients and others whose lives these 2 people whom are gone now will never recover from the Absolute shock of the murders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, @Cryptic , and could well be accurate. Except -- KS lived in the house with them. So wouldn't he have known what to expect re bling vs modest accommodations? He still might have thought there was valuables (by his definition) hidden, though.

Do we know how long he had lived there? TIA

I think that he had been friends / boy friend girl friend for a long period of time, but that KS had lived there for a short period of time- just long enough to not comply wth Covid restrictions, frustrate the victim.

As for his awareness that the home did not contain valuables by his definition (I like how you out it), perhaps:

- Earlier, M raised the possibility of wealth and robbery early ("bands of cash").

- KS moves in and initially things don't fully compute for him- M said they were "wealthy", yet they apparently have little or no "living large" possessions that he expects to be associated with wealth.

- Perhaps M is angered by her parents, wants them intimidated and humiliated by a robbery. She then re-proposes robbery to KS, and reinforces they really do a have the "bands of cash" she related earlier.

- Despite initial impressions to the contrary, KS accepts that the victims are wealthy: After all, the victims do live in an affluent area and one is a doctor. This makes M's claims of hidden wealth in the form of cash plausible.

- Once KS accepts that they are "wealthy", he then reverts to his movie, song and video derived impression of wealth: Wealth always means "bands of cash" stashed (confirmed by "M"- right?). Wealth must also mean there is the large stash of mandatory bling jewelry, hidden at least in their case, in the master bedroom...."

Last edited:
They lived by the high school in nice older home. Average neighborhood. The AirBNB was over by the highway and trailer park in a “not so safe” feeling neighborhood - it’s closer to the income based medical clinic. It sounds like the BF lived at the parents home for 2 1/2 weeks. During that time, he could easily have scoped out the place for any valuables. Did he have a key? Did he use daughters key to gain entry? Why break in when the parents were there? Was he desperate for cash and thought he had to do this? I think this was planned. They drive by the place waiting for all lights to be turned off, then entered. He was caught and had to murder them, as they know him and he would go to jail. I’m guessing they realized he was a bad seed, and their daughter wasn’t going to stop seeing him. If he left the house, she would too. The teens were not following pandemic safety rules and were disrespectful. So parents decided to set boundaries and place daughter in place that was no thrills - as this was what life would be with her teenage delinquent BF. Things had broken down so bad that Mom and daughter were not on speaking terms. Most teens would be happy to be set up in their own apartment and given family car- but Daughter was resentful that she was in a seedy neighborhood. She would have to get a job - or money- to afford a nice apartment. LE will investigate all the texts and emails. There will be an electronic trail.

Last edited:
Websleuths is victim friendly and victims include the immediate victims and their family. Daughter is considered a victim and she is not an officially named POI/suspect. She is off limits for sleuthing or making insinuations or accusations. You may discuss what she has said or what is said about her in MSM or official documents but no sleuthing her or her social media.

It was a robbery with a gun....an armed robbery. That is so much more to me than catching kids looking through my desk or something.

Khari believed there was money in that house but he must have had some idea where to look. The other kid may not have ever been inside...in any event would not be as familiar in the dark with the layout.

So I think they both parked and went in. The parents were sleeping separately from what I believe...self isolating. I’m thinking at some point they got them both up at gunpoint.

After that, Khari has a dilemma. He either needs to get money enough to finance some kind of “get out of Dodge” for Miriam and himself...and he has to take care of his accomplice.

or kill them and get Miriam to alibi him.

He went for plan B.

BBM. I think it started out as a burglary when the parents were thought to be asleep and it escalated from there when one or both parents awakened and realized who it was. While Miriam did lie and gave him an alibi, I don't believe she knew beforehand he would execute her parents.

JMO

Khari was also on some sort of deferred prosecution program for the car theft. An armed robbery...a second crime at 18 years old..would probably have meant jail time.

Teenager arrested in connection to homicides of Madison doctor, husband

“Last year, Sanford was charged with felony auto theft in Dane County. A criminal complaint states while Sanford's foster parents were away from their Middleton home and in Africa, he stole their car after disabling some of the home's surveillance cameras. Days after the theft, the complaint says police found Sanford sleeping in the car. "He was upset with his foster parents when he took the car," police say in the complaint.

Sanford accepted responsibility for the theft and was admitted into into a deferred prosecution program. The program requires participants to meet conditions such as counseling and community service in exchange for the charge being dismissed upon the program's completion. One of Sanford's foster parents - who asked not to be identified - told 27 News she had no role in the decision to allow Sanford to remain in the community instead of facing possible incarceration if he was convicted. She declined comment when asked if she agreed with the decision.”

Lots of interesting thoughts and good theories out there. - Random:
1-IMO, the victims' house isn't in an "average" neighborhood by most American standards. Most neighboring houses there are ~$500,000 +/-; taxes ~$11,000-12,000+/-. Madison's not inexpensive.
2-The victims could be wealthy with potential income, investments, inheritance, etc...even without bling &/or much cash on hand. Oftentimes, old money &/or very well-off people try not to display their wealth or possessions.
3-Wonder if it truly was a burglary attempt gone wrong, or if that's a decoy? The suspects weren't in the house long if stealing valuables, IMO. Also, K may have had prior opportunities at victims' home.

BBM. I think it started out as a burglary when the parents were thought to be asleep and it escalated from there when one or both parents awakened and realized who it was. While Miriam did lie and gave him an alibi, I don't believe she knew beforehand he would execute her parents.

JMO
If that is the scenario, and she had prior knowledge of the burglary, then she certainly would have known that the burglary went bad and that he had killed her parents, when she lied to the police and repeatedly gave Khari an alibi.

She knew her parents were murdered when interviewed by p9lice.

But if she is completely innocent, which may be the case...she would have to have no prior knowledge of the burglary, and when told by police that her parents were dead, lied because she believed he was innocent...but didn’t want to reveal that he had been out and had her car during the murders,

Lots of interesting thoughts and good theories out there. - Random:
1-IMO, the victims' house isn't in an "average" neighborhood by most American standards. Most neighboring houses there are ~$500,000 +/-; taxes ~$11,000-12,000+/-. Madison's not inexpensive.
2-The victims could be wealthy with potential income, investments, inheritance, etc...even without bling &/or much cash on hand. Oftentimes, old money &/or very well-off people try not to display their wealth or possessions.
3-Wonder if it truly was a burglary attempt gone wrong, or if that's a decoy? The suspects weren't in the house long if stealing valuables, IMO. Also, K may have had prior opportunities at victims' home.

Welcome to Websleuths, 2lepovz99. :)

eta: We really need some breaking news on this case.

Perp's Prior Opportunities to Steal from Victim's Home? Mom's Purported Convo's.
....Wonder if it truly was a burglary attempt gone wrong, or if that's a decoy? The suspects weren't in the house long if stealing valuables, IMO. Also, K may have had
prior opportunities at victims' home.
@2lepovz99 sbm bbm Yes, re ^ bbm, exactly, a good possibility.
While staying there for those couple weeks (or even before), did perp K case the joint extensively to see what cd/be taken? Maybe even before dau finagled the BF into staying there?
Maybe helped himself to a few items? Sold or pawned them?
Did Mom and/or Dad think/know perp/BF K had five-fingered items from their home during the time he stayed there?
If so, esp when combined w parents' (possible) knowledge of K's arrest & crim history, seems imo, parents would be eager to remove him from premises. Covid-19 or not.
Perhaps Mom gave dau & BF an extremely diplomatic (well, phony) reason (Covid) of why the two needed to leave. If she knew/suspected, also could be true for Mom's explanation to her own friend; maybe she was embarrassed &
sugar coated it.
Would anyone want to disclose to a friend that their teen dau's BF is a criminal staying in house, and rooting wallets/handbags/cookie jars for cash; whisking away a piece or two of jewelry; sneaking off w a laptop, etc? Only the closest of friends imo (which this friend may have been).

If that is the scenario, and she had prior knowledge of the burglary, then she certainly would have known that the burglary went bad and that he had killed her parents, when she lied to the police and repeatedly gave Khari an alibi.

She knew her parents were murdered when interviewed by p9lice.

But if she is completely innocent, which may be the case...she would have to have no prior knowledge of the burglary, and when told by police that her parents were dead, lied because she believed he was innocent...but didn’t want to reveal that he had been out and had her car during the murders,

I think she lied because she loves him. Look at the number of community leaders who believe Khari is innocent. We still don't know the context of why she told Khari her parents had "bands of cash." We don't know the reason Khari gave M. for needing the car in the first place nor do we know what he told her when he returned with his friend. He may have told her the friend is the one who was in trouble and Khari was just trying to help him out. Khari blamed his foster parents when he stole their vehicle. He's incapable of empathy.

JMO

I think she lied because she loves him. Look at the number of community leaders who believe Khari is innocent. We still don't know the context of why she told Khari her parents had "bands of cash." We don't know the reason Khari gave M. for needing the car in the first place nor do we know what he told her when he returned with his friend. He may have told her the friend is the one who was in trouble and Khari was just trying to help him out. Khari blamed his foster parents when he stole their vehicle. He's incapable of empathy.

JMO

She knew when the police questioned her that her parents had died a horrific death.

She falsely alibied him several times.

The question for the police is...did she know about the burglary. Because whether she lied out of love or not,...if she knew beforehand...if she helped plan...then she may well be an accessory to the murder. She should be charged.

If she didn’t know, perhaps he is a very compelling liar and she was simply convinced to lie to cover for him...as you say...out of love.

She knew when the police questioned her that her parents had died a horrific death.

She falsely alibied him several times.

The question for the police is...did she know about the burglary. Because whether she lied out of love or not,...if she knew beforehand...if she helped plan...then she may well be an accessory to the murder. She should be charged.

If she didn’t know, perhaps he is a very compelling liar and she was simply convinced to lie to cover for him...as you say...out of love.

I don't believe K convinced M to lie for him. I think he convinced her that he is innocent and she desperately wanted to believe it.

JMO

The only verifiable information in the public domain about Miriam to date comes from the Arrest Affidavit. The information in that document is very limited but, fair or not, it creates a negative “first impression” of a teenager we don’t know. Her Mother is quoted as saying she has been disrespectful. She will not obey rules necessary for her Mothers health in this pandemic.

This information from individuals interviewed by police is included in the AA in order for LE to establish a motive for her parents execution by the boyfriend. But, as yet unknown, is whether the emotions that fueled the motive were shared by Miriam as well as Khari.

Some of Miriam’s texts are revealed in the document by LE in order to serve to destroy the alibi of her boyfriend. But that rebounds against Miriam as well because...who gave that alibi...repeatedly...to police after her parents bodies were found?

Miriam! The AA reveals this issue to the public as well.

Even more troubling to me is the witness account in the AA that claims to have heard a conversation in March between Miriam and her boyfriend about how “to get money” and that her parents had “bands of cash.”

“How to get money?” This is the language used in the AA. These are teenagers. Both being fed and housed by her parents even before school was dismissed. This conversation is alleged to have taken place in school in March.

School closed March 15.

Khari had lived with the family 2 1/2 weeks before they were moved to the AIRBNB. Why did they need “to get money?”

Miriam has not been charged and there may be reasonable and innocent explanations that will be revealed. Nevertheless, in my opinion, it is the only legal document about these horrific killings that provides public information at this time...that contributes to serious questions about Miriam.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back