GUILTY WI - Dr. Beth Potter and husband murdered at UW Arboretum, Madison, March 2020 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Was Ali’jah Larrue one of the younger brothers of this murder victim?!
If so, what a double tragedy for his family to have him involved with this.

Family: Missing Fitchburg woman answered Craigslist ad

Larrue said Aprina, who graduated from Madison West High School earlier this year, loved her three younger brothers and her job working with children at Madison School & Community Recreation’s after-school program at Leopold Elementary School.

I am heartbroken. Beth was a classmate of mine in grade, middle, and high school. We were not close friends, but I considered her a friend. We moved in different circles. Beth was the sweetest, kindest, most compassionate person then. This sweetheart of a girl never in my memory had an unkind word to say to or about any other soul.

I probably won't have much to say on this case, but wanted to share that those of us who knew her, are just heartbroken to know this was her end, and to hear that she was killed by her daughter's boyfriend is just salt in the wound.

Nobody deserves this kind of death but least of all Beth. I still find it nearly unbelievable. She is the very last person I could ever imagine anyone wanting to murder.
:(

I was able to see both Larrue and KS's facebook pages early on. Both gone now. Now that they are both charged TOS allows discussion. I came away with impressions of both of them based on their postings.

My impression and opinion ONLY. I don't know if KS was a narcissist or sociopath diagnostically but I don't think that he had a conscience. I think he saw himself as a "victim of the system" because otherwise he would have to see that he was (I think irrevocably) damaged by his bio parents. He is clearly still very loyal to his bio mother, who abused him enough that he was placed in foster care (take a look at her facebook or fundraiser to get an idea of his early upbringing).

I think these crimes happened not because of money but because he was a cauldron of uncontrollable rage which was triggered by "rejection." He steals a car because he was angry his foster parents went away without him. Then he is "rejected" when he has to leave the Potter Carre home. A burglary-gone-wrong ends with someone shot in their house, not dragged out of the house in their underwear and pajamas and forced into a ditch. The house you were just evicted from. His rage is so uncontrollable that even though he was waiting to hear from college, had an internship from councilman, had a way to a better life, he murdered two people who tried to help him but then "rejected" him by moving him out of the house.

His facebook was all over the place between "black lives matter"-type quotes, inspiring posts about what he wanted to do with his life while wearing intellectual-type glasses, and holding a glock with a 100% with sort of "gangsta" quotes. The glock and "intellectual glasses" pics have made it to the media.

Larrue's facebook was really different. Low-key. People noticing he had lost weight, him thanking people.

I will be interested to see evidence as the prosecution continues but my first impression (only) is that Larrue went along with KS's crazy-anger revenge money generating scheme, was a follower and like many others, I think that LE/prosecution is hoping to have Larrue testify against KS - the "master-mind."

As for legal matters - I see that his public defenders withdrew. Does he have private counsel? Who would pay for that?
Also, in most states providing a false alibi is a crime - I understand no one has been charged here. But I have seen felony charges of aiding an offender as an accomplice after the fact and obstruction of justice where people have provided a false alibi.

This is a terrific post.

What saddens me...particularly in Khari’s case...is it leaves society asking...”OK what is left to do...that we didn’t do here?”

I’m assuming that he was removed into foster care for essential reasons. I doubt that the State makes those decisions lightly. Yet, Khari does not blame his Mother, expresses love for her on Twitter. Doesn’t seem to be any anger there.

Maybe he sees her as a victim of the “oppresser” too...referring to the chosen heading quote on his Twitter page.

There seem to be many people in Madison...activists, the previous mayor, who saw potential, praised him, honored him with an appointment to some civic board. All this should have built his confidence, soothed his anger...but it didn’t.

He was a leader...maybe Captain on the football team. He was dating a pretty girl from a lovely family. They not only took him in, supported him, fed him...but they facilitated his intimate relationship with their 18 yr old daughter.

He had every door to a better future opened for him...yet he wanted to be identified as a “gangsta”...someone to be feared...with a gun.

And, with these murders, that’s exactly how HE, and he alone..
defined his future.

Such a waste.

So, what could have been done..many will be left to wonder?

Khari would make every helping hand seem futile and every well meaning outreach, hopeless.

This is a terrific post.

What saddens me...particularly in Khari’s case...is it leaves society asking...”OK what is left to do...that we didn’t do here?”

I’m assuming that he was removed into foster care for essential reasons. I doubt that the State makes those decisions lightly. Yet, Khari does not blame his Mother, expresses love for her on Twitter. Doesn’t seem to be any anger there.

Maybe he sees her as a victim of the “oppresser” too...referring to the chosen heading quote on his Twitter page.

There seem to be many people in Madison...activists, the previous mayor, who saw potential, praised him, honored him with an appointment to some civic board. All this should have built his confidence, soothed his anger...but it didn’t.

He was a leader...maybe Captain on the football team. He was dating a pretty girl from a lovely family. They not only took him in, supported him, fed him...but they facilitated his intimate relationship with their 18 yr old daughter.

He had every door to a better future opened for him...yet he wanted to be identified as a “gangsta”...someone to be feared...with a gun.

And, with these murders, that’s exactly how HE, and he alone..
defined his future.

Such a waste.

So, what could have been done..many will be left to wonder?

Khari would make every helping hand seem futile and every well meaning outreach, hopeless.

So insightful and beautifully written, stmarysmead!

"Bands" of Cash? Accumulating Cash?
Altho I don't recall hearing this "bands" phrase before, turns out it is a common phrase, along w some other phrases'currency straps' and 'bill straps.'
"A currency strap, currency band or bill strap is a simple paper device designed to hold a specific denomination and number of banknotes[1]. It can also refer to the bundle itself.[2] In the United States, the American Bankers Association (ABA) has a standard for both value and color, as shown below...." ^
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency_strap

If she used this or similar phrase, why did dau think parents would accumulate significant amts of currency, strapped or loose? In skimming thru info re parents, I missed any clues, that would naturally suggest currency bundles, like ownership of retail store, restaurants, etc. jmo

Last edited:
I was able to see both Larrue and KS's facebook pages early on. Both gone now. Now that they are both charged TOS allows discussion. I came away with impressions of both of them based on their postings.

My impression and opinion ONLY. I don't know if KS was a narcissist or sociopath diagnostically but I don't think that he had a conscience. I think he saw himself as a "victim of the system" because otherwise he would have to see that he was (I think irrevocably) damaged by his bio parents. He is clearly still very loyal to his bio mother, who abused him enough that he was placed in foster care (take a look at her facebook or fundraiser to get an idea of his early upbringing).

I think these crimes happened not because of money but because he was a cauldron of uncontrollable rage which was triggered by "rejection." He steals a car because he was angry his foster parents went away without him. Then he is "rejected" when he has to leave the Potter Carre home. A burglary-gone-wrong ends with someone shot in their house, not dragged out of the house in their underwear and pajamas and forced into a ditch. The house you were just evicted from. His rage is so uncontrollable that even though he was waiting to hear from college, had an internship from councilman, had a way to a better life, he murdered two people who tried to help him but then "rejected" him by moving him out of the house.

His facebook was all over the place between "black lives matter"-type quotes, inspiring posts about what he wanted to do with his life while wearing intellectual-type glasses, and holding a glock with a 100% with sort of "gangsta" quotes. The glock and "intellectual glasses" pics have made it to the media.

Larrue's facebook was really different. Low-key. People noticing he had lost weight, him thanking people.

I will be interested to see evidence as the prosecution continues but my first impression (only) is that Larrue went along with KS's crazy-anger revenge money generating scheme, was a follower and like many others, I think that LE/prosecution is hoping to have Larrue testify against KS - the "master-mind."

As for legal matters - I see that his public defenders withdrew. Does he have private counsel? Who would pay for that?
Also, in most states providing a false alibi is a crime - I understand no one has been charged here. But I have seen felony charges of aiding an offender as an accomplice after the fact and obstruction of justice where people have provided a false alibi.
All very good points and insight into his psyche.

I know the police say this is a burglary...but I’ll be interested to here more on why they made that determination. It seems a dumb time to do a burglary when neither of the accused had school, or jobs...and the victims did have jobs that would keep them away from the home during the day.

Certainly the daughter still had a key. And the neighbors had seem Khari coming and going for weeks. Why not just let himself in...during the day...and search for the “bands of cash” to his hearts content?

Also, the timeline seems to indicate that they did not spend much time in the house at all. I don’t think they’d just take the victims word. They had them at gunpoint. Surely they’d show some effort to find this money.

I think this was a kidnapping and execution. I just don’t see this burglary scenario though that may be what the police have been told. It’s almost an excuse...because otherwise it’s just hate...and an execution.

"Bands" of Cash? Accumulating Cash?
Altho I don't recall hearing this "bands" phrase before, turns out it is a common phrase, along w some other phrases'currency straps' and 'bill straps.'
"A currency strap, currency band or bill strap is a simple paper device designed to hold a specific denomination and number of banknotes[1]. It can also refer to the bundle itself.[2] In the United States, the American Bankers Association (ABA) has a standard for both value and color, as shown below...." ^
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency_strap

If she used this or similar phrase, why did dau think parents would accumulate significant amts of currency, strapped or loose? In skimming thru info re parents, I missed any clues, that would naturally suggest currency bundles, like ownership of retail store, restaurants, etc. jmo

This term “bands” is also a slang term in a lot of rap music. You’ll often hear them rap that they’re “stackin bandz” which just means hustling to get money.

Wouldn’t college acceptance letters have already been sent out in March? Perhaps the latest would be the first week of April?

What if he wasn’t “all that” and didn’t get into the college of his choice?

I think Decision Day is May 1st.

I missed any clues, that would naturally suggest currency bundles, like ownership of retail store, restaurants, etc. jmo

You did not miss any clues. There was nothing to suggest large amounts of currency from cash oriented businesses. In addition the victims, though relatively affluent, lived modest lives.

That aside, I think you are applying your analytical skills to the perpetrators (who, in all probability, are not known for their analytical thinking).

Rather, the perpetrators applied their music video / movie world to the victims. In that world, affluence automatically equates to fabled "bands of cash", mandatory over the top bling jewelry, and "large" fire arms, electronics, and everything else.

Last edited:
You did not miss any clues. There was nothing to suggest large amounts of currency from cash oriented businesses. In addition the victims, though relatively affluent, lived modest lives.
That aside, I think you are applying your analytical skills to the perpetrators (who, in all probability, are not known for their analytical thinking).
Rather, the perpetrators applied their music video / movie world to the victims. In that world, affluence automatically equates to fabled "bands of cash", mandatory over the top bling jewelry, and "large" fire arms, electronics, and everything else.
@Cryptic Yes, I see what you mean ^. ;) IOW, I 'over-thunked' it.;) lol.

Ok the more I think about it the burglary angle does not work. On March 30, 2020, the boyfriend and his accomplice did not burglarize the couple at a more opportune time–such as during the daytime when the couple might be away at work. As a doctor, BP was likely an essential worker. Also I have not seen any news reports stating that the boyfriend and his accomplice took anything from the couple’s house that night. And, it has not been reported that KS and his accomplice forcibly took the couple to an ATM. Also you don't need to bring a gun to a robbery if you don't think anyone is home. All told, theft does not appear to be a main motive. JMO.

Ok the more I think about it the burglary angle does not work. On March 30, 2020, the boyfriend and his accomplice did not burglarize the couple at a more opportune time–such as during the daytime when the couple might be away at work. As a doctor, BP was likely an essential worker. Also I have not seen any news reports stating that the boyfriend and his accomplice took anything from the couple’s house that night. And, it has not been reported that KS and his accomplice forcibly took the couple to an ATM. Also you don't need to bring a gun to a robbery if you don't think anyone is home. All told, theft does not appear to be a main motive. JMO.

Her husband was probably working from home all day and especially during the 'safer at home' order. He was a self-employed educational consult. Not much window of opportunity for theft if someone is always there.

K and A might have been trying to steal banking or credit card info. Maybe tax refund checks? But then again, these two kids were probably too stupid to know what to do with such info. Anyway, it would be easier for Mimi to show up unannounced and swipe the banking stuff herself. Just brainstorming here. It's surprisingly hard to grasp what goes on inside the minds of such idiots.

I know the police say this is a burglary...but I’ll be interested to here more on why they made that determination. It seems a dumb time to do a burglary when neither of the accused had school, or jobs...and the victims did have jobs that would keep them away from the home during the day.

Certainly the daughter still had a key. And the neighbors had seem Khari coming and going for weeks. Why not just let himself in...during the day...and search for the “bands of cash” to his hearts content?

Also, the timeline seems to indicate that they did not spend much time in the house at all. I don’t think they’d just take the victims word. They had them at gunpoint. Surely they’d show some effort to find this money.

I think this was a kidnapping and execution. I just don’t see this burglary scenario though that may be what the police have been told. It’s almost an excuse...because otherwise it’s just hate...and an execution.
YES, my thoughts as well...why go into the home while both parents and the sons are there? Wouldn't there be times during the day that no one was home? And they could have taken the time to search for valuables, without the danger of someone waking up?

It seems too me this was a kidnapping/execution, and not a robbery. JMO

<modsnip>

This case is fascinating but really depressing. Take a trip through the pages of the FB friends and get an education in their “values”...how they speak and articulate those values...remembering that most of them have been educated through some level of high school.

Each of these three that are the main topic of our discussions have very different backgrounds but somehow, they are all part of the same negative “culture.”

Sex, Bling, Cash, Gangsta.

Dr Potter’s friends describe her as stressed. I bet she and her husband struggled mightily on how to deal with Miriam being sucked into these values. On one hand, I’m sure they had compassion for how poverty and abuse factored into Khari’s upbringing...and if Ali’jah had a sister murdered, his family trauma as well.
Murdered teen’s mom turns tragedy into action My heart hurts for this courageous Mom as well.

But I’m sure their wish was to bring Khari to their gentle values. So they brought him into their home and even condoned the intimate relationship with their teenage daughter.

Ali’jah comes across to me as a follower as well. He may well redeem himself. If he is the brother of the murder victim, his Mother did her best to make her own tragedy into a community outreach for good.

If there had been a struggle in the house and the deaths had occurred, I could still glimpse some humanity in the plotters. But the heinous cruelty of this crime...the degree of callousness needed for the kidnapping and execution...the total blowoff of 18 years of parental love to plan a burglary and then lie for their killers...just seems to indicate a level of emotional depravity that precludes human emotions.

The parents suffering began long before the crime....but their dreams for their daughter were no match for the culture of her friends and boyfriend that she preferred.

Last edited by a moderator:
The detective testified that Miriam and Khari “were talking about robbing her parents because they were rich and had bands of cash.”

Just want to be precise about his actual court testimony shown in video above.
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!