GUILTY WI - Dr. Beth Potter and husband murdered at UW Arboretum, Madison, March 2020 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not making any excuses for M as things are looking bad for her. But her text where she said she wanted him to bring the car back because she didn't feel safe there (in the Airbnb). What did she mean by that? I know nothing about Madison or the area the Airbnb was located in...is it a part of town where you'd normally be afraid to be alone at night? So I'm now wondering what she was afraid of...maybe M and K had gotten into a situation where they needed a lot of money, fast. Maybe they owed someone who she feared would come by while K was gone.

I am still thinking she did know where and what K was doing that night, though there's also the possibility that while she knew he was up to no good (and was thus willing to alibi him) she may not have known exactly what he was doing (she may have thought he was selling drugs, confronting someone who owed him money or who he owed money to, etc). There are some other scenarios in play since she hasn't been charged with any type of conspiracy yet.

You bring up a really good point.

What did they need money for? Why was she afraid that night in the BNB? The text sounds like she needs the van back...a means of escape...more than him. He, she suggests, could be picked up by someone else.

I’ve wondered about another part of the text too. She has no problem with him going back out after 11pm on a night when everything in the city is in lockdown. He’d been out for hours, but, unlike most girlfriends, she isn’t expecting him to spend time with her now. Strangely understanding of his need to leave again.

Also, the text “How could you put me in a situation like this?” Like what? What was her “situation?” She was inside in BNB....not out on a lonely street corner.

I wonder if, as you suggest, they were under some kind of threat from someone they owed money to. Maybe Khari could not respect social distancing guidelines at the Potter home...because he had a “business”...but the virus was interfering with his ability to sell product and pay his source.

I’ve been thinking along the lines that they wanted to leave town and start a life somewhere else together. Maybe Guatemala...with her “real” family. Turn now I’m really more inclined to your theory. Thanks.

Last edited:
I’ve wondered about another part of the text too. She has no problem with him going back out after 11pm on a night when everything in the city is in lockdown. He’d been out for hours, but, unlike most girlfriends, she isn’t expecting him to spend time with her now. Strangely understanding of his need to leave again.

Perhaps this time he left to pay off a debt and eliminate the threat that made Miriam so fearful about being home alone?

BTW, I'm really enjoying your insights into this case, stmarysmead.

Is there a way to find out who retained private counsel for Khari?
It's understandable that his community mentors would initially be in disbelief over Khari's arrest, but at this point, come on. Why continue to invest in this lost cause when there are so many other kids on the edge whom they could be helping?

You bring up a really good point.

What did they need money for? Why was she afraid that night in the BNB? The text sounds like she needs the van back...a means of escape...more than him. He, she suggests, could be picked up by someone else.

Also, the text “How could you put me in a situation like this?” Like what? What was her “situation?” She was inside in BNB....not out on a lonely street corner.

I wonder if, as you suggest, they were under some kind of threat from someone they owed money to. Maybe Khari could not respect social distancing guidelines at the Potter home...because he had a “business”...but the virus was interfering with his ability to sell product and pay his source.

I’ve been thinking along the lines that they wanted to leave town and start a life somewhere else together. Maybe Guatemala...with her “real” family. Turn now I’m really more inclined to your theory. Thanks.

BBM. Yes, along this line, maybe KS and his accomplice were involved in some other type of criminal activity that they needed money for. Perhaps the daughter was aware of this. If so, these parts of her texts make more sense.

Some new info here:

Dane County judge sends suspects in Arboretum double homicide to trial

“During an initial hearing April 7, assistant public defender Diana Van Rybroek said she’d been contacted by community leaders in Madison concerned about Sanford, and that at the time of his arrest, he was halfway through his senior year at West High School, where he had been captain of the football team and was waiting to hear back from colleges he’d applied to attend. She did not name the community leaders.

Sanford was the Wanda Fullmore intern in the Madison City Council office last summer, apparently working from early July through Aug. 16, according to emails released to the Wisconsin State Journal under a public records request.

In a message introducing himself to council members, Sanford described himself as “very active in clubs like BSU (Black Student Union) and I think of myself as very outspoken and determined.

“If you were to ask me my future goals after high school,” he wrote, “I would let you know that I want to go to college and major in political science and African American history. I also want to travel and write and do motivational speaking. My biggest goal in life is to convince the world that it is all of our responsibility to uphold the common good in society and implement youth voices in decision-making processes on policies that affect them.”

He was also arrested last year for car theft and accepted into a deferred prosecution program in February, according to online court records, and in a search warrant unsealed last week, a friend and neighbor of Potter said she knew Sanford from working at West and described him as “immature” and said he “didn’t follow procedures and they had to chase him down to go to meetings.”

The warrant also said that when Potter’s father was notified of his daughter’s death, he “immediately asked ... ‘Did Mimi’s (Miriam Carre’s) friend do it?’” and that Potter and “the boyfriend” had had arguments in the past.”

Some new info here:

Dane County judge sends suspects in Arboretum double homicide to trial

“During an initial hearing April 7, assistant public defender Diana Van Rybroek said she’d been contacted by community leaders in Madison concerned about Sanford, and that at the time of his arrest, he was halfway through his senior year at West High School, where he had been captain of the football team and was waiting to hear back from colleges he’d applied to attend. She did not name the community leaders.

Sanford was the Wanda Fullmore intern in the Madison City Council office last summer, apparently working from early July through Aug. 16, according to emails released to the Wisconsin State Journal under a public records request.

(snipped by me)

The warrant also said that when Potter’s father was notified of his daughter’s death, he “immediately asked ... ‘Did Mimi’s (Miriam Carre’s) friend do it?’” and that Potter and “the boyfriend” had had arguments in the past.”
That’s a lot of new info! That last quote is so tragic. I’ve felt from the beginning that this wasn’t a case of moving in Mimi’s live-in boy friend despite the gun-toting Facebook page. My theory is that KS had no place to stay, Potter/Carre said he could stay for a little while (maybe they initially saw that he was doing all the right things - playing sports, internships) but from all that has been reported Beth was extremely upset and stressed by having him in the house. Clearly she must have told her father that she feared for her safety around KS if he immediately thought “Mimi’s friend” killed them. I think moving these two out was an attempt to protect themselves - from more than COVID - maybe they had seen the glock picture and that was a catalyst to move KS out, even if it meant their daughter leaving too (this must have been an excruciating decision - they must have been extremely frightened). These poor people did everything they could and still wound up dead.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone has any insight into the difference in the way “community leaders” are treating Sanford vs Larrue?

I believe it’s very possible that Larrue is the brother to a murder victim ... so there has been tragedy in the family. He has no previous criminal record unlike Sanford.
Attorney: One of the alleged teen killers may have been ignorant of murder plan

“Covey says these accusations represent Larrue's first encounter with the criminal justice system of any significance.

"Through my understanding, there's absolutely no criminal history, even as a juvenile, not even an adjudication against Mr. Larrue," Covey tells 27 News.”

I posted an article about how his Mother was praised for her efforts in the community after losing her daughter. His Mother seems like a very sympathetic individual. I would think HER community efforts would be an incentive for community leaders to advocate for HER son. Also Larrue had no acrimonious relationship with the victims. No financial gain for him.

But he seems to be an afterthought to these leaders....who seem energized only on Sanfords behalf.

What is it about Sanford that he’s the “favorite son” in this case? Any ideas?

BBM. Yes, along this line, maybe KS and his accomplice were involved in some other type of criminal activity that they needed money for.

If they did owe money in the course of criminal activity, that could increase their sense of desperation in finding the fabled "bands of cash" and the other mandatory over the top bling items that they "knew" all affluent people must have- somewhere. Likewise, the desperation, then increases the chances of violence when all they find is modesty.

Your possible scenario played out in a horrific way in Dallas after a drug "rip off" occurred between two gangs of street level dealers. The street level dealers in one group, already prone to violence, had been fronted the drugs by associates (probably junior) of a narco cartel.

Anger at the rip off then combined with fear of consequences if the narcos were not compensated for the lost drugs. This led to the retaliatory kidnapping and murder of innocent family members of the rival gang in an effort to recover the drugs.

Last edited:
As a parent, I not only would have forbade my daughter from seeing this guy, the last thing I would do was have him live with them. I would have checked out his facebook and freaked out after seeing that gun. There would have been major upsetting in that home. He was clearly unstable because of his horrible upbringing. If this gets deleted, so be it.

As a parent, I not only would have forbade my daughter from seeing this guy, the last thing I would do was have him live with them. I would have checked out his facebook and freaked out after seeing that gun. There would have been major upsetting in that home. He was clearly unstable because of his horrible upbringing. If this gets deleted, so be it.
I guess I'm giving the parents the benefit of the doubt. We don't know exactly what happened in the house in the 2 1/2 weeks KS was living there. Clearly the parents knew something was very wrong - numerous colleagues and family knew it was a stressful, and even unsafe, situation. I'm guessing they may have seen that facebook post - Beth's dad suspected KS was the killer instantly. What if they did tell their daughter she couldn't see him? What if she wasn't as compliant as your teens? What if the daughter said "if he goes, I go" and the AirBNB was a compromise (as I recall, the parents moved KS and MPC out as the daughter was asking "how could you do this to me."). And I just don't see KS reacting any differently towards the parents if they forbid Mimi to see them. Look what he did when they moved them into an AirBNB! Is there any possibility KS wouldn't have been equally enraged if Mimi was forbidden to see him? KS would have said "ok, I'll leave these parents alone now." I think the parents are true victims and there was no way to disentangle themselves from KS without this happening. I just wish they had time to call 911 when he came to the house. Teens are hard, some harder than others. Parents make parenting mistakes (myself included). This was a catastrophic consequence no matter how we second guess the parents' actions.

ETA - we also don't know the circumstance of the "move-in." Beth was stressed and upset with the situation very quickly - KS was only there for 2 1/2 weeks and co-workers saw her visibly stressed. Maybe he showed up with "no where to go" and it was supposed to be one night. Maybe he was supposed to stay in a guest room. Maybe he just wouldn't leave and they were terrified to escalate things by changing the locks because they sensed his potential for violence. Maybe COVID made things much more difficult - no school or state resources accepting "homeless teens." Maybe a place to live was being lined up and everything feel through with COVID - where was he living before the 2 1/2 weeks. I have not been able to track that down.

ETA again - I don't want to get deleted but maybe things at the house were already a bit out of control with MPC - MSM has reported that house rules weren't being followed.

Last edited:
I guess I'm giving the parents the benefit of the doubt. We don't know exactly what happened in the house in the 2 1/2 weeks KS was living there. Clearly the parents knew something was very wrong - numerous colleagues and family knew it was a stressful, and even unsafe, situation. I'm guessing they may have seen that facebook post - Beth's dad suspected KS was the killer instantly. What if they did tell their daughter she couldn't see him? What if she wasn't as compliant as your teens? What if the daughter said "if he goes, I go" and the AirBNB was a compromise (as I recall, the parents moved the KS and MPC out as the daughter was asking "how could you do this to me."). And I just don't see KS reacting any differently towards the parents if they forbid Mimi to see them. Look what he did when they moved them into an AirBNB! Is there any possibility KS wouldn't have been equally enraged if Mimi was forbidden to see him? KS would have said "ok, I'll leave these parents alone now." I think the parents are true victims and there was no way to disentangle themselves from KS without this happening. I just wish they had time to call 911 when he came to the house.
I agree with your post and also kay74.
My guess is maybe the parents were too naive or didn't realize what the killers were capable of ?
Absolutely the parents are victims.
They alone are deceased and cannot tell their side of the story.
They are the only victims in this tragedy.
For my part I wish they would have drawn the line sooner before moving the murderer in their house; and yes I'd be very stressed if I were the parents to have a person with a troubled past living under my roof and having to pay for all of their expenses including but not limited to food.
If this perp could afford drugs and other 'extracurricular activities' .. he could afford to pay for his own takeout.

I wonder what the Potter Carres actually knew about Sanford when he started dating Miriam. Were they friends with some of these community leaders who told them what a fine young man he was?

Did Miriam tell them he was captain of the football team, selected to intern in the City Council’s office, active in the Black Students Union...headed to college and interested in community service as they were?

Maybe they weren’t told of the car theft, or never thought to look on FB. to see him with the gun or his gangsta persona.

If their two older sons were away from home, maybe the original offer was to stay with them but not cohabitating with Miriam....instead in one of the son’s rooms.

Once in the house, with Miriam siding with him...he may have slept where he wished. We know they refused to follow other house rules and were disrespectful. What a horrible and helpless situation the parents found themselves in!! They love and want to protect their daughter...but the REAL Khari Sanford is nothing like how he was “advertised” to them. He’s dangerous on many levels.

They tried a halfway solution...the BNB.

Sanford had another solution...their deaths.

“He was also arrested last year for car theft and accepted into a deferred prosecution program in February, according to online court records, and in a search warrant unsealed last week, a friend and neighbor of Potter said she knew Sanford from working at West and described him as “immature” and said he “didn’t follow procedures and they had to chase him down to go to meetings.”

Have we seen this “search warrant?” I don’t recall some of this info. I known we have seen the Arrest Affadavit.

Does anyone have a link? Or am I just confused?

That quote from an employee at West High School indicates that Sanford couldn’t follow “procedures” or “rules” at school either.

“He was also arrested last year for car theft and accepted into a deferred prosecution program in February, according to online court records, and in a search warrant unsealed last week, a friend and neighbor of Potter said she knew Sanford from working at West and described him as “immature” and said he “didn’t follow procedures and they had to chase him down to go to meetings.”

Have we seen this “search warrant?” I don’t recall some of this info. I known we have seen the Arrest Affadavit.

Does anyone have a link? Or am I just confused?

That quote from an employee at West High School indicates that Sanford couldn’t follow “procedures” or “rules” at school either.
Dr. Potter had her hands full. Miriam said "you don't talk to me". They should have had a heart to heart talk, mother and daughter about this guy. If M still wanted to see him then I would have given an ultimatum, you stop seeing him or your gone, but then this same thing could have happened cause that's why they/he killed they had to leave. I don't know what else she could have done. Did the father try to talk to the daughter about this guy? It's like they had no relationship with her. Maybe I'm wrong. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kzrrz
Back