GUILTY WI - Dr. Beth Potter and husband murdered at UW Arboretum, Madison, March 2020 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
During a court hearing Tuesday, the state said this was a "burglary that turned into a kidnapping and then a homicide" and argued for a $1 million bail. Defense lawyers for Sanford said he was in the middle of his senior year of high school and waiting for colleges to get back to him on admission.

The daughter has not been charged in the case.
WHO cares if he was in his senior year and waiting for colleges to get back to him? Why even bring this up?

Anybody else wonder why they bothered to take them from the house if they were just going to murder them anyway? Why not just do it there?
Taking them to ATMs? Or wanted the murders off site intending to move right back into the house where all the material possessions are like TV because it is not a crime scene.

Some new info here. Looks like Khari implicated Larrue and made some kind of admission of guilt (that his attorney is now trying to pull back.)

“Larrue was arrested after Sanford allegedly named him as an accomplice, according to the police report.

Larrue told police he overheard Sanford and Potter Carre talking in ceramics class about getting money from her parents who are "rich," according to the police report. Potter Carre has not been named as a suspect.”

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> I think the daughter was just as empathetic as her mother. Charming, sweet-talking con-artists are attracted to them like moths to a flame and women don't see it coming because the narcissism is so well-hidden...at first. Once they lure their victim into their web, they demand total control. They drive a wedge between the girlfriend and her support system. They blame everyone else for their actions. And it often boils down to greed.

Rates of domestic violence during the pandemic have escalated. I think the parents made it clear if the daughter wanted to play house, both of them needed to get jobs and support themselves. So, the killer decided they needed to be punished.

Until I learn otherwise, I'm going to treat the daughter as a victim.

JMO

Domestic violence cases increase 79 percent in Treasure Coast counties during COVID-19 pandemic
I agree with you about how a narcissist operates. I don't have an opinion as to whether the daughter's boyfriend is a narcissist because the only thing we know of as far as criminal behavior is the car theft. There very well could have been other behavior that would classify him as a narcissist. As far as we know the daughter is a victim but there are some troubling facts that have been reported:

The daughter provided an alibi for the alleged killer.

There was a conversation overheard by a classmate weeks before the murders where daughter told the alleged killer they could get money because her parents were rich.

I question why the daughter would not follow the coronavirus guidelines when she knew her mother had a medical condition that compromised her health.

I do not think COVID19 was a contributing factor to two people being kidnapped and executed. The killers wanted money. KS had a place to live and food to eat and a live in girlfriend.

All JMO.

Sent a text to SD: “Like w someone”. 11:19:30PM-
11:22:07PM- Sent a text to SD: “His friend got into a situation”.
11:26:37PM- Sent a text to SD, “I wanna cry rn but I’m also in a apartment w them

The timing doesn’t make sense to me unless she needed very little explanation.

The texts could reflect partial knowledge that was quickly developing into full knolwdge. Perhaps:

- Angry and resentful M re-proposes the robbery theme to KS. Perhaps she does not envision a true robbery. Rather, a strong armed coercion to obtain money. Unknown to M, KS then enlists the help of a friend.

- KS then leaves and picks up the accomplice. Perhaps they don't even have a firm plan of what they are going to do. They, do, however, feed off each other with movie based narco type fantasies.

- The poorly conceived robbery escalates to a sickening conclusion as the enraged perpetrators find modesty. There are no fabled "bands of cash", and no obvious bling.

- Arriving back home, M is surprised to see the accomplice. KS and the accomplice blame each other for the un expected escalation. M is initially shocked, but agrees to provide alibis.

This is not sleuthing the daughter. The daughter lied and provided false alibi for the person charged with murdering her mother and father in cold blood, who posed with sickening eyes and a gun, in disgusting selfie, who was a criminal.

Excellent deduction! The house might also be worth less at sale if a murder happened there.

If these kids weren't as dumb as a box of rocks, I might agree. Seriously, these dolts left such a wide trail of damning evidence that they were arrested within 3 days of the murder. And by a campus police force that hadn't investigated a single murder since the 1980s!! Now, I have zero inclination to murder anyone but if I did, I'd like to think I'm smart enough to make it at least a week or two before getting caught.

Other than the ATM angle, maybe they were worried the next door neighbors would hear gunshots and recognize the car + suspects. The Rowley Ave houses are packed very close together. A Wingra neighbor at least 0.25 miles from the Arboretum crime scene reported hearing the gunshots. She even counted each shot.

I agree with you about how a narcissist operates. I don't have an opinion as to whether the daughter's boyfriend is a narcissist because the only thing we know of as far as criminal behavior is the car theft. There very well could have been other behavior that would classify him as a narcissist. As far as we know the daughter is a victim but there are some troubling facts that have been reported:

There was a conversation overheard by a classmate weeks before the murders where daughter told the alleged killer they could get money because her parents were rich.

I question why the daughter would not follow the coronavirus guidelines when she knew her mother had a medical condition that compromised her health.

I do not think COVID19 was a contributing factor to two people being kidnapped and executed. The killers wanted money. KS had a place to live and food to eat and a live in girlfriend.

All JMO.

The daughter may have provided a false alibi but evidently that is not a crime in Wisconsin. Her overheard conversations are apparently not crimes.

I don't know why the daughter refused to follow the "coronavirus guidelines" but do know she is a teen and I wonder how many other teens take the guidelines seriously. I don't know that KS had a place to live or food to eat because I have no idea what the financial arrangements were agreed upon between parents and their daughter but my best guess is that her parents made it clear it was a short-term arrangement and that is what triggered KS' outrage and revenge.

JMO

Wisconsin judge greenlights double homicide charges for 2 teenage suspects

"The key part to this case is they are relying on the GPS data that doesn't put him [Larrue] in the crime scene, it just puts him the approximate area," said Covey. "It's logic that Larrue was hiding or trying not to be involved or telling Sanford to stop what he was doing."

If Larrue's attorney (Covey) is already pointing the finger at Sanford, how long do you think it will take Larrue, himself, to turn on Sanford and accept a deal from the DA in exchange for his testimony?

Last edited:

"The key part to this case is they are relying on the GPS data that doesn't put him [Larrue] in the crime scene, it just puts him the approximate area," said Covey. "It's logic that Larrue was hiding or trying not to be involved or telling Sanford to stop what he was doing."

If Larrue's attorney (Covey) is already pointing the finger at Sanford, how long do you think it will take Larrue to turn on Sanford himself and accept a deal from the DA in exchange for his testimony?
I think that is what the DA is banking on to put Sanford away for ever.

If Larrue's attorney (Covey) is already pointing the finger at Sanford, how long do you think it will take Larrue, himself, to turn on Sanford and accept a deal from the DA in exchange for his testimony?

yes! And we know who owned the gun.

And there is a witness who told police that Khari admitted being the shooter...shot the victims and then shot again to make sure they were dead.

Also Khari sure gave Larrue up to LE almost immediately. Not much gangsta loyalty there.

I agree with you about how a narcissist operates. I don't have an opinion as to whether the daughter's boyfriend is a narcissist because the only thing we know of as far as criminal behavior is the car theft. There very well could have been other behavior that would classify him as a narcissist.

Some new info here. Looks like Khari implicated Larrue and made some kind of admission of guilt (that his attorney is now trying to pull back.)
“Larrue was arrested after Sanford allegedly named him as an accomplice, according to the police report.
Larrue told police he overheard Sanford and Potter Carre talking in ceramics class about getting money from her parents who are "rich," according to the police report. Potter Carre has not been named as a suspect.”

I was able to see both Larrue and KS's facebook pages early on. Both gone now. Now that they are both charged TOS allows discussion. I came away with impressions of both of them based on their postings.

My impression and opinion ONLY. I don't know if KS was a narcissist or sociopath diagnostically but I don't think that he had a conscience. I think he saw himself as a "victim of the system" because otherwise he would have to see that he was (I think irrevocably) damaged by his bio parents. He is clearly still very loyal to his bio mother, who abused him enough that he was placed in foster care (take a look at her facebook or fundraiser to get an idea of his early upbringing).
Khari Sanford

@SanfordKhari

·
Jan 22

“Primera amor es mi madre”

On his Twitter page he posted a picture of a woman with this caption.
I think these crimes happened not because of money but because he was a cauldron of uncontrollable rage which was triggered by "rejection." He steals a car because he was angry his foster parents went away without him. Then he is "rejected" when he has to leave the Potter Carre home. A burglary-gone-wrong ends with someone shot in their house, not dragged out of the house in their underwear and pajamas and forced into a ditch. The house you were just evicted from. His rage is so uncontrollable that even though he was waiting to hear from college, had an internship from councilman, had a way to a better life, he murdered two people who tried to help him but then "rejected" him by moving him out of the house.

His facebook was all over the place between "black lives matter"-type quotes, inspiring posts about what he wanted to do with his life while wearing intellectual-type glasses, and holding a glock with a 100% with sort of "gangsta" quotes. The glock and "intellectual glasses" pics have made it to the media.

Larrue's facebook was really different. Low-key. People noticing he had lost weight, him thanking people.

I will be interested to see evidence as the prosecution continues but my first impression (only) is that Larrue went along with KS's crazy-anger revenge money generating scheme, was a follower and like many others, I think that LE/prosecution is hoping to have Larrue testify against KS - the "master-mind."

As for legal matters - I see that his public defenders withdrew. Does he have private counsel? Who would pay for that?
Also, in most states providing a false alibi is a crime - I understand no one has been charged here. But I have seen felony charges of aiding an offender as an accomplice after the fact and obstruction of justice where people have provided a false alibi.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back