AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This time of night it gets very hard for me to think about what it must have been like for them to go through this. Dark, chaos, noise, fear, gun fire, brutality, Jayme possibly seeing both parents murdered, Mom feeling her life ebbing away and knowing she hasn't saved her daughter. At what point did James realized what was happening? Was Jayme trying to help her mother? So terrifying for all of them. So sad.
Agreed...this case has particularly bothered me so much. Growing up I spent summers at my grandparents' cabin in Spooner, WI which is not far at all from Barron, about 30 minutes north. To this day it is still one of my 'happy places' that I remember with the utmost fondness. I guess people not from the Midwest probably wouldn't see the appeal, but it really is such a great area. The place is now changed forever for a lot of people and that's not fair. I couldn't sleep on Sunday and I was thinking of them as I looked at my clock and saw 12:51, 52, 53...since it was the exact one week mark.

CNN.com - Transcripts

I found an error in a transcript from AB's program from 10/17.

In the exchange below, one word is transcribed wrong.

Ashleigh's Question:
Ashleigh asks the sheriff if it's possible that Jayme has a phone with her.

BANFIELD: Have you found any information from her social media? Is it possible she has a phone with
her?

Sheriff's Answer:
On the broadcast/podcast, the sheriff answers that he doesn't know if Jayme had a phone with her.

FITZGERALD: I do not know the answer to the second part of the question, if she had a phone with her. I can tell you that we are looking at the social media platform.

**However, the transcript has the sheriff saying THE phone**

Not to get all English Teachery, but the (a definite article) refers to something specific. In this case, the phone would speak to a specific phone, perhaps inferring Jayme's own phone.

A phone, on the other hand, could mean any old phone, even a burner phone perhaps.

Just an observation.

(class dismissed)

IMO Jayme hid from intruder when she was awaken by gun shots/commotion. I believe she dialed 911 while hiding and unfortunately was found in the process. I do not believe he killed Mom right away. I believe the 2 shots that were heard were the killing of Dad at the entrance.

There are a ton of good theories posted on these boards, but we may be going about it all wrong. It seems that everyone is trying to apply good logic to the case, but trying to apply logic to something as illogical as killing a family and taking a 13 year old is probably just going to cause us a lot of stress and headaches.
I think that may be the driving force in some of the hostile posts on the board. Please remember we all want to find Jayme and get her home safe.
Personally, when things really don't make sense I tend to think this might be driven by mental illness. Delusions and command hallucinations often don't make logical sense, but they can be compelling enough that the offender feels they must obey them. If Jayme's abductor is captured alive I would not be overly surprised to find something like this being a driving force. Or I could be way off, but I really didn't see anyone mentioning this.
Well, I've mentioned that the perp might be someone fixated on Jayme's youth and innocence and who wanted her as a "wife." If that is the case, the perp is mentally unhealthy.

That's not my only theory, but it's one I've mentioned more than once and I'm not the only one. Others have also mentioned the idea of holding her hostage, which again, wouldn't be done by a mentally stable and logically-thinking person.

I recall specifically OceanBlueEyes posting that it is likely we cannot explain this crime with logic because the perp is not behaving logically.

I know it's next to impossible to read every post on these fast-moving threads, but what you're saying WSers are missing has indeed been discussed. And can be discussed again, for sure! We're far from finished.

And, please contribute your ideas - bring 'em on.

jmo

With the FBI involved, it shouldn’t take long at all

Minutes. But don’t assume that every criminal’s prints are in the database. There are still some departments that don’t contribute, prints are rejected due to smudges, and in some cases only felony crimes make their way to the FBI.

There are a ton of good theories posted on these boards, but we may be going about it all wrong. It seems that everyone is trying to apply good logic to the case, but trying to apply logic to something as illogical as killing a family and taking a 13 year old is probably just going to cause us a lot of stress and headaches.
I think that may be the driving force in some of the hostile posts on the board. Please remember we all want to find Jayme and get her home safe.
Personally, when things really don't make sense I tend to think this might be driven by mental illness. Delusions and command hallucinations often don't make logical sense, but they can be compelling enough that the offender feels they must obey them. If Jayme's abductor is captured alive I would not be overly surprised to find something like this being a driving force. Or I could be way off, but I really didn't see anyone mentioning this.
I do often think about this when I just can't reconcile certain facts and am at a loss for connecting pieces. I keep going back to meth though. I know that's been a bit of a touchy subject on this forum but it IS a big problem in the area and maybe if we can't make sense of things, it's because well, they truly don't. Meth can greatly increase both libido and adrenaline, I'm not discounting that this is what could've been at play here.

Agreed...this case has particularly bothered me so much. Growing up I spent summers at my grandparents' cabin in Spooner, WI which is not far at all from Barron, about 30 minutes north. To this day it is still one of my 'happy places' that I remember with the utmost fondness. I guess people not from the Midwest probably wouldn't see the appeal, but it really is such a great area. The place is now changed forever for a lot of people and that's not fair. I couldn't sleep on Sunday and I was thinking of them as I looked at my clock and saw 12:51, 52, 53...since it was the exact one week mark.

My DH also spent a lot of time near Spooner as a kid. He's expressed equal disbelief that such a thing could happen in that area. However, I will say that the people of Barron and the surrounding areas have entirely lived up to the reputation of the wonderful community my husband remembers. The photos and videos of thousands of people going out and trying to bring their girl home today were somehow simultaneously heartbreaking and uplifting. I hope all of the locals reading here are proud of their community.

Jmo

Last edited:
If they find DNA at the scene that isn’t in the database I wonder if they’d consider trying for a genealogical match via databases such as ancestry? I know they’ve used such databases over the past several months to solve various cold cases... just an idea.
If the case went cold, many months from now, they might consider that. 60 minutes had a great segment on that technology last night. It’s led to 12 cold cases being solved so far, to include Golden State.

re: Fingerprint database searches:

When you get arrested and booked and you don't have to wait to see a magistrate before making bail/signing out on a personal bond/RORing--even for a minor misdemeanor--they have to (well, they are supposed to) wait for the results to come back from running your prints through the national database(s) before springing you (in case you have wants/warrants in other jurisdictions); which is typically no more than a few hours.

CNN.com - Transcripts

Ashleigh's Question:

BANFIELD: Have you found any information from her social media? Is it possible she has a phone with
her?

Sheriff's Answer:
On the broadcast/podcast, the sheriff answers that he doesn't know if Jayme had a phone with her.

FITZGERALD: I do not know the answer to the second part of the question, if she had a phone with her. I can tell you that we are looking at the social media platform.

Not to get all English Teachery, but the (a definite article) refers to something specific. In this case, the phone would speak to a specific phone, perhaps inferring Jayme's own phone.

A phone, on the other hand, could mean any old phone, even a burner phone perhaps.

Just an observation.

(class dismissed)

Good grief. The fact that you caught that is pretty darn impressive.

CNN.com - Transcripts

Ashleigh's Question:

her?

Sheriff's Answer:

Just an observation.

(class dismissed)
I thought maybe he’s talking about having Denise’s phone. And read that is was hers that the 911 call came through. Maybe Jayme has one he won’t comment about yet. Sorry if this has been mentioned.

Jumping off your post from yesterday’s thread, I happened to check JLC's page again on the FBI Missing Persons page just now, and the previously displayed $25,000 reward seems to no longer be visible.

It could be a technical issue, or perhaps the reward had been added to the page in error and was subsequently removed, but wanted to share this observation nonetheless. Jmo

JAYME CLOSS — FBI

This puzzles me.
The reward was there yesterday, but gone tonight.
But now that I think about it, is it common for the FBI to offer rewards? I always thought they were privately funded, but admit I do not know much about where reward money comes from. At any rate, the offer is not on the FBI website right now. I wonder what’s up with that.

I see people commenting about a large black suitcase and speculating that Jayme might have been being expected to pack it and leave with the killer(s.) I haven't read anything about a suitcase... was LE removing it from the home as evidence? At any rate, if those speculating Jayme was expected to leave with a packed suitcase are correct, then that is a very good sign. I doubt anyone tries to have someone pack a suitcase while also planning to kill them. People pack suitcases when they are changing locations. Maybe this is one reason LE feels that Jayme is still alive. She doesn't have the suitcase with her but the original plan of taking her from the home took place as planned. (My apologies if I have misinterpreted the significance of the suitcase. It has been brought up but not in a way which explains it's context in the case.) There are several earlier threads I have not read yet.
I believe there was more than one home invader involved. One to take care of the parents and the other to corner Jayme. I can see the entire chaotic situation taking 20 minutes from the first gun shots heard to the 911 call. I do think someone was tied to the kitchen chair but I'm not sure since the strings were not bagged before LE removed the chair from the home. Still, I hope, if that theory is correct, they find DNA embedded in the strings/ropes if they are to be tested. The suitcase handle might yield DNA as well if it was picked up and shoved at an unwilling Jayme during the invasion. I think Jayme's mother took an opportunity to break away (or Jayme was able to cut the bindings on the chair and free her mother) and try to run but was cornered and Jayme ran elsewhere with her mother's phone and made the call to 911. Any number of scenarios could easily take 20 minutes if there was a time period of some "discussion" involved between killers, Jayme, and her mother.

Last edited:
If they find DNA at the scene that isn’t in the database I wonder if they’d consider trying for a genealogical match via databases such as ancestry? I know they’ve used such databases over the past several months to solve various cold cases... just an idea.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think allowing the familial DNA - checking DNA databases for possible relatives of the perp - differs state by state. Anyone up on their knowledge of this? Does Wisconsin do this?

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member