AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If retakes were Oct 11, then they had the photos. You wouldn’t retake until u had the pics. So this is prob a current photo.

My daughter had re-takes yesterday. The first ones were done 2 weeks ago and they don't have their proofs yet. The re-takes at her school is not for kids to have their picture done again because they didn't like the proof; it's for those kids who were absent on the first picture day. Her school may have been the same.

It's not unusual to appeal to the person who was abducted. When Abby was abducted her mother appealed directly to her, even to the point of making videos of the town, videos of making christmas cookies, and appealed to her to come home. Her mother didn't appeal to her abductor, they appealed to Abby. In Mollie's case it was different, her father pleaded with her captors for her return. Each case is different.
As for the mattress, it makes me wonder if there was an original attack on the mother in her bedroom. We don't know where the mother was attacked or died. We've read rumors that she was barricaded in the bathroom, but that may not be true.

I often wonder if that is what saved Abby.

I hope this hasn't been rehashed too much but I am trying to organize my thoughts on the timeline.

Sunday afternoon: Denise and Jayme attend Jayme's cousins birthday party (I haven't seen mention if it is the ones in Barron or not), James does not attend

Denise and Jayme arrive home

~~12:31 Neighbor to the west hears two gunshots
12:53:26 911 call, dispatch reports yelling in the background
12:54:13 Call is ended
Dispatch attempts to call back and gets Denise's voicemail message. Dispatch then tries landline and it is “disconnected”
12:56:01 Three officers are dispatched to Closs house from the Sheriff's office
1:00:29 Officers report they have arrived on scene
1:03 Officer mistakes scene for suicide attempt (morbidly due to location of James's injuries I'm guessing)
1:05 Officer reports one male down multiple rounds fired
1:08 Officers begin to search house
1:11 Officers find Denise

@MsBetsy proposed that neighbor may have mistaken 12:38 for 12:58 on the clock (which being seven minutes fast translates to 12:31 and 12:51 for the rest of us). If this is the case, the timeline to me makes a lot more sense.

I also had the same immediate thought as @Gardener1850 when law enforcement asked for vehicles in the area from 12:30 to 1:30. That range doesn't make sense if the vehicles were already on scene on 12:31.

If the shots were at 12:51, that means Denise calls 911 about two minutes later and and the perp/perps are only in the house for less than 9 minutes.

Edit: Sorry MsBetsy, I had you as WsBetsy!

Very interesting the different views on the press conference. I still have yet to watch it, trying to catch up on so many posts here.

Last edited:
The most important thing in the home was stolen. Jayme.

When a child is missing, why doesn’t LE use words like “abduction”, “kidnap”, “taken”, “stolen”, etc. They know she is a young minor, yet don’t use these descriptors. Is this typically the case? A new policy? Is it only news outlets who use this language? I have always assumed what was printed comes from LE. This investigation has been a real eyeopener.

I would hope they could do this anonymously.

This happened to a woman (whose name I can't remember) who was killed when she was out for an evening walk. She had her cell and was talking to her boyfriend when she was abducted. They found her phone, but it was quite a while later. Unfortunately, the man who found it had wiped it down and cleaned it up so there were no useful prints on it. (I guess he was planning on keeping it, but once the media got a hold of the story, he turned it in. I think it took him some time, though, because he may have been afraid.)

Ah! Kristi Cornwell.

When a child is missing, why doesn’t LE use words like “abduction”, “kidnap”, “taken”, “stolen”, etc. They know she is a young minor, yet don’t use these descriptors. Is this typically the case? A new policy? Is it only news outlets who use this language? I have always assumed what was printed comes from LE. This investigation has been a real eyeopener.

I guess it's because they don't know what happened here? And news stations don't have to conform as much as LE do. They write what sells.

As for the mattress, it makes me wonder if there was an original attack on the mother in her bedroom. We don't know where the mother was attacked or died. We've read rumors that she was barricaded in the bathroom, but that may not be true.

RSBM
I would think if that were the case the mattress would have been taken immediately. I think they're grasping at straws and thinking maybe someone was sexually assaulted during the attack and there might be evidence they can collect. Looking for any new leads they possibly can because unfortunately I don't think they have much

IMO it's to help build rapport with the abductor, especially if they have reason to believe the victim is still alive. "Kidnap", "abduction", etc. are words to describe crimes. They make the perp sound "bad." When you have a panicky, disturbed perp then there's a line that needs to be walked during communication. You want to keep the victim safe, but you also want to make the perp feel safe in some fashion, too. By minimizing their actions, LE is building some shaky relationship that will, hopefully, allow the perp to let their guard down eventually.

I hope LE is watching where that dog is. if who ever has her is trying to make her happy about being with them they might try to get the dog.

They may have stayed longer if the 911 call hadnt been made. If the neighbor really is correct on the time, they didnt care about the gunshots causing alarm. If the suspect was even the one who fired those 2 shots.

I agree with this. Most of the evidence we are privy to and tea leaves we have to read IMO point perp/s still being there at the time of the 911. The fact that they were gone 4 minutes later suggest to me they knew 911 had been called and they knew they had to brake camp. I think there is no telling how the crime would have gone down if that call wouldn't have been made.

I hope LE is watching where that dog is. if who ever has her is trying to make her happy about being with them they might try to get the dog.

It's a thought but they murdered her parents then kidnapped her away from her freedom so I don't think they care too much about her happiness. That's just my opinion though.

Last edited:
I waver between two theories. We had a case in my town where a man high on drugs entered a house, beat the men and boys senseless and locked them up, raped and killed the daughter and mother. (Google Bryan Clay and Las Vegas for the gory details). He was likely ONLY caught because he had raped a woman earlier that night and she helped identify him Being whacked out on drugs does not mean you cannot be a calculated killer and cause all kinds of horror at a randomly chosen home. This could certainly be the case here. I think perhaps the assailant was at the home for a while between the time Jayme was off the phone and the first gunshots...we have several unaccounted hours. I think it is possible this person could have been there awhile before 12:30 committing sexual assaults and I think it is entirely possible this could be connected to drug activity in the area. Not that her family was involved but that individuals with the capacity to commit horrible crimes while on meth were nearby.

Second theory: totally targeted, personal, likely known to family and LE has suspicions. I prefer this theory as it offers quicker resolution and the chance of Jayme being held but not killed. I would be absolutely committed to this theory if it were not for the ghost of Bryan Clay in my head.

I thought it was Halloween decorations, pumpkins, etc.

There were pumpkin window clings on the outside storm door, but I can clearly see what looks like a snowman on the bottom left (looks like he is holding a broomstick?).

Doesn't really make a difference case-wise and actually makes me a little sad.

Source:

Edit: screen shot is at :31 for reference

Attachments

• snowman.png
    snowman.png
    498.1 KB · Views: 85
First thing, since this happened, that I do...is check to see if Jayme has been found. I pray she is safe and will be found soon...it was so cold here this morning....and even colder where she may be.

I was wondering too, if it's just me or if anyone else is having the problem on WS. The column on the right is no longer there...the one that has "new thread," recent threads" and "latest replies." I loved that feature. ....

FOX 47 Madison‏Verified account @fox47madison

'The distance didn't matter': Middleton Fire Chief aided in search for Jayme Closs.

FOX 47 Madison on Twitter

'The distance didn't matter': Middleton Fire Chief aided in search for Jayme Closs

"As a father of a 13-year-old, it strikes home that it can happen to anybody at any time," he said.

He made the trek, traveling over 200 miles.

"The distance didn't matter," he said. "The feeling goes through your mind that this could indeed be my family."

'The distance didn't matter': Middleton Fire Chief aided in search for Jayme Closs

With the passage of time and the apparent lack of progress by LE, certain theories seem less or more likely?

From less likely to more likely:

6. Jayme left alone or with a similarly aged peer. Hard to see a 13 yr old or a pair of teenagers staying casper this long with national coverage of this case.

5. Random local druggies theory--thanks to CI's, undercovers, parolees on paper, etc, LE in a community of this size likely already knows the name and address of every dealer in town and probably the majority of the more regular users. If someone needing a regular fix committed these crimes, I'd think LE would've at least had a name/names and prior mugshot(s) publicized by now, if not arrests and folks in custody.

4. Jennie-O plant/store related--sorta similar to the drug situation; except instead of LE already having a list of usual suspects, people affiliated with / who work at the largest employer in the area likely would've quickly given LE info that would've led to more progress in the case than LE seems to have made at this point.

3. Someone not from the area--the longer this case goes with LE seemingly knowing no more than the public the more likely the perp is out-of-range of usual-suspects radar/not from the area?

2. Someone from the area with a connection to someone in the house; but the nature of that connection is such that they don't register with/are not known about by friends/family/co-workers.

1. Someone from the area with no or a very limited connection to anyone in the house. e.g., Jessica Heeringa, Holly Bobo, Lauria Bible/Ashley Freeman.

0. ???

I hope this hasn't been rehashed too much but I am trying to organize my thoughts on the timeline.

Sunday afternoon: Denise and Jayme attend Jayme's cousins birthday party (I haven't seen mention if it is the ones in Barron or not), James does not attend

Denise and Jayme arrive home

~~12:31 Neighbor to the west hears two gunshots
12:53:26 911 call, dispatch reports yelling in the background
12:54:13 Call is ended
Dispatch attempts to call back and gets Denise's voicemail message. Dispatch then tries landline and it is “disconnected”
12:56:01 Three officers are dispatched to Closs house from the Sheriff's office
1:00:29 Officers report they have arrived on scene
1:03 Officer mistakes scene for suicide attempt (morbidly due to location of James's injuries I'm guessing)
1:05 Officer reports one male down multiple rounds fired
1:08 Officers begin to search house
1:11 Officers find Denise

@Wsbetsy proposed that neighbor may have mistaken 12:38 for 12:58 on the clock (which being seven minutes fast translates to 12:31 and 12:51 for the rest of us). If this is the case, the timeline to me makes a lot more sense.

I also had the same immediate thought as @Gardener1850 when law enforcement asked for vehicles in the area from 12:30 to 1:30. That range doesn't make sense if the vehicles were already on scene on 12:31.

If the shots were at 12:51, that means Denise calls 911 about two minutes later and and the perp/perps are only in the house for less than 9 minutes.

Very interesting the different views on the press conference. I still have yet to watch it, trying to catch up on so many posts here.
Assuming the original timeline is correct and there are 22 minutes between the first shots and the 911 call, I don’t wonder much about what was going on. Consider that from the time the cop sees James to the time he finds Denise is 8 minutes. And this is just finding two dead people and moving with some caution through the house. Now consider that the perp has 22 minutes between the first two shots to find and subdue two more people, kill one, and kidnap the other - people who could be hiding or barricaded. The timeframe just doesn’t bother me much if 22 minutes is actually correct.

Edited to correct to 8 minut

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members