AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We know James had guns in the house and they were all accounted for. From the 911 call logs They said "No guns located at this time" which would indicate that James did not grab one of his guns. If he did hear a kick at the door, I would think that would be the first thing he would try and do. We also know that the guns used were not one of his so the perp didn't take JC's gun and use it on JC and DC.
And yet it was reported that it appeared James had answered the door.
Seems to me Jim was unsuspecting of whoever was at the door or was simply going outside for a different reason altogether, unaware of the perp being there. Regardless, Jim did not feel the need to have his gun at this time.
The door was kicked in so it seems at some point Jim was trying to keep someone out while he was at the front door and then he was immediately shot.
I wonder if was shot at close range or from a distance, which would indicate 2 perps at least. Close range could still be 1 perp.

That's the 2nd source now that says they have Jayme's phone. Detail on location is new and may explain some things. If they always charged their phones in the kitchen overnight then the phones are not close at hand in the event of a surprise kick-in-the-door attack while everyone is asleep. Also might explain the chair that looks like a kitchen chair that was taken away. Maybe Denise ran for her phone in the kitchen and the perp shot in that direction? She might have managed to call 911, but perhaps she dropped the phone after she was injured. Perhaps she ran into the bathroom after that. Jayme's phone might have still been plugged in undisturbed because she was hiding. JMO.

So, in light of the revelation of having possession of Jayme's phone and actually where they found it, makes the earlier revelation ...

... all the more curious. Law enforcement has Denise's phone. They have Jayme's phone. I expect, but we don't know, that they have James' phone. So, what exactly were they looking for?

My working theory is that they were looking for some device that law enforcement had determined being utilized within the home based on cell records, internet provider records, or wi-fi device records/logs at some time prior to the events that took place October 15th and there was some expectation of finding the device in the home. The only things that come to mind are either a tablet or a phone - perhaps using wi-fi only in airplane mode.

I don't think they brought in the specialized K9 on a whim.

I had thought that bringing in the specialized K9 and then setting up surveillance cameras prior to very publicly announcing the scene was released (something we see rarely done) meant that law enforcement had some expectation that the person(s) responsible would return to the home to retrieve a particular device. Perhaps the two activities are not connected and were serving two separate purposes. I doubt it. But I find this to be a bit of a puzzle.

That is puzzling. I still wonder if they were searching for hidden cameras or evidence that someone was watching the family prior to the crime. Maybe they found something? Maybe LE set up their own cameras in hopes that the perp would come back to retrieve his hidden equipment?

Looking at that driveway three things strike me right away.

First is you don't just pull in there in the middle of the night by accident. If you were going 55 down the rd you need to know that driveway is there to make that turn.

Second- if you pull in, the gravel makes a lot of noise and the dog would have barked- bonus points if your lights were on; you can't sneak up on that spot if you drive in

Third- you are going to leave tire impressions
Unless you park further away and walk there. It would be a struggle to drag or carry Jayme any distance if she was fighting though. And didn't they say the dog found no evidence of a trail outside the driveway?
And yet it was reported that it appeared James had answered the door.
Seems to me Jim was unsuspecting of whoever was at the door or was simply going outside for a different reason altogether, unaware of the perp being there. Regardless, Jim did not feel the need to have his gun at this time.
The door was kicked in so it seems at some point Jim was trying to keep someone out while he was at the front door and then he was immediately shot.
I wonder if was shot at close range or from a distance, which would indicate 2 perps at least. Close range could still be 1 perp.
Also possible he knew the person and spoke to them before the person retrieved a gun from the car and ended up kicking the door.

I get the distinct impression that Fitzgerald wasn't at all concerned with being precise or accurate in the Dryden Wyre interview. Which sort of begs the question, " Why do it at all ? ". Maybe I'm just missing something. :(

Maybe the point was to keep Jayme's name in the media and keep the public thinking about her.
He has said many times they only need that one tip that will break this case open. Someone may know something but is holding back hoping LE will solve it on their own. Maybe if the right person sees LE really have nothing that person will be motivated to step out of their comfort zone and finally turn in that shady neighbor/friend/family member of theirs to the tip line...No one wants to think the worst of someone close to them but someone has to have noticed something off. No one wants to get a potentially innocent person mixed up in an investigation if they are wrong but most likely someone has seen this perp acting unusual. Someone has gotten bad vibes from this person in the past and brushed them off. JMO.

I don't think they do. Every video I've ever seen of cars passing buses was either set up as a one-time deal by the media doing investigative reporting or with the bus driver taping her phone to the windshield for the same purpose. I would be surprised if this school district had actual dash cams. This is a major aggravation to me, how vehicles constantly put children at risk at bus stops, so I've watched quite a few of these videos.

This is from 2015, but many states are adding laws requiring school bus cameras or allowing them: School bus cameras start to catch those who don't stop
I could not find anything on Wisconsion nor Barron school buses specifically, however.

Hmm, we haven't seen this verified by LE, but this article also says Denise was in the bathroom. Seems to me only Radar and Daily Mail reported it before and so I haven't personally run with the theory before.

New Video Surveillance Search Expanded, Electronic Device Detecting K-9 Utilized in Jayme Closs Search

When Barron County deputies arrived four minutes later, they found the door appeared to have been kicked in and a male who answered the door, was down. There were multiple spent rounds nearby. As authorities made their way farther into the home, they came across a second person down. It was Denise and she was in the bathroom.

Interesting indeed. I have been holding that part loosely but I think it is possible. What if Denise went to the kitchen to grab her phone after James was shot and Denise was shot in the process? Then perhaps she ran to the bathroom as a reflex because it has a first aide kit and a lock on the door? Maybe she managed to dial 911 but could not speak due to no time, dropping the phone or the location of her wound? Perhaps the commotion heard on the call is the perp finding and taking Jayme. The phone might have been in the bathroom with Denise (unable to speak) or on the floor in the hallway, dropped as she ran. JMO.

That's the 2nd source now that says they have Jayme's phone. Detail on location is new and may explain some things. If they always charged their phones in the kitchen overnight then the phones are not close at hand in the event of a surprise kick-in-the-door attack while everyone is asleep. Also might explain the chair that looks like a kitchen chair that was taken away. Maybe Denise ran for her phone in the kitchen and the perp shot in that direction? She might have managed to call 911, but perhaps she dropped the phone after she was injured. Perhaps she ran into the bathroom after that. Jayme's phone might have still been plugged in undisturbed because she was hiding. JMO.

That is puzzling. I still wonder if they were searching for hidden cameras or evidence that someone was watching the family prior to the crime. Maybe they found something? Maybe LE set up their own cameras in hopes that the perp would come back to retrieve his hidden equipment?

I thought the same thing- if they have everyone's phones then they are looking for something else. A concealed listening device or camera, or something that is missing like a tablet, or a camera etc... Police putting a camera up at a crime scene is not all that typical according to a friend of mine in LE.

Since I'm on a Google StreetView kick today, I'll post this bit of oddness which is very likely an illusion. Keep in mind the StreetView photos of the house are from October 2016 so are two years old.

Here's the area of the deck at full Google resolution (which is low):

closs-17.jpg

Here I've cropped it down to a smaller area but still at the same resolution:

closs-17b.jpg

Here I've had a program resample it to increase resolution to make it larger. Not really gaining true detail but just to make it larger and a bit smoother:

closs-17c.jpg

Note what appears to me to be a stack of picnic coolers, perhaps? The red things. Who needs that many? Maybe they're something else but they're not what I'm looking at. Doesn't that rather look like a person? Note the same set of StreetView images show no cars in the driveway. Here's my probable optical illusion outlined:

closs-17d.jpg

One could wonder if there was a long-time stalker. It's likely leaves near the Google camera that just make a nice illusion. But I am curious about the stack of coolers(?).

Has no DNA evidence been processed yet? One would think, DNA might be somewhere on the property especially if it were a randomized not-well-thought-out plot. If DNA has been processed and there are no other links, I believe this was well planned out by professionals. A 13 year old is now missing in Lumberton, NC. Apart from the murders in the Closs case, child trafficking seems to be the most understandable motive imo at this point. If it were a localized plot and the perpetrator lived nearby, they would have been found by now or there would at least be a trail of evidence somewhere. Its far more likely an out-of-town operation, taking children throughout the US could go undetected. Going at that time of night... getting away and as far away as possible. When the parents woke, the perpetrators killed them because that's how serious this whole business is: leave no witnesses. Heartbreaking...

Is it possible they tried to kick the door open and only damaged it at which point James threw it open to see what was happening? I can't help but think he knew who was on the other side of the door and didn't think they would be ready to kill him.

My assumption has always been close to what you noted. Denise's phone made the 911 call however in the commotion and her trying to protect her daughter, she couldn't speak into the phone. I've always thought the 911 call was just a way to alert authorities as she still had Jayme in the house with her.

I think Denise figured if she just called 911 and put the phone down, the police would come and if it was discovered she was talking to a 911 operator she'd be shot for sure. Obviously we know what actually happened but talking about her mindset in those moments. I wouldn't be surprised if she called 911 then went to face the perp or protect Jayme or both hoping she could stall them long enough so police could arrive and help. If you call 911 and say nothing and they call back and get no answer as what happened here, then the dispatcher will send someone which is what I think Denise was counting on.
I'm sure that is what she was counting on... but the article says she was found in a bathroom. I wonder, did she take Jayme in there with her? Maybe she was hoping to launch Jayme out a window? They have evidence from the call and the scene that indicates Jayme was there when her parents were killed and when the call was made. There was a commotion on the call, lots of yelling. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me that Jayme was in that bathroom with mom at the time of the 911 call, UNLESS there was more than one perp, and its THEM having a commotion / yelling in the background and not Jayme and her mom screaming. Something on that call made dispatch think possible suicide. :( Who did they think was suicidal and why?

Last edited:
Since I'm on a Google StreetView kick today, I'll post this bit of oddness which is very likely an illusion. Keep in mind the StreetView photos of the house are from October 2016 so are two years old.

Here's the area of the deck at full Google resolution (which is low):

View attachment 155550

Here I've cropped it down to a smaller area but still at the same resolution:

View attachment 155551

Here I've had a program resample it to increase resolution to make it larger. Not really gaining true detail but just to make it larger and a bit smoother:

View attachment 155552

Note what appears to me to be a stack of picnic coolers, perhaps? The red things. Who needs that many? Maybe they're something else but they're not what I'm looking at. Doesn't that rather look like a person? Note the same set of StreetView images show no cars in the driveway. Here's my probable optical illusion outlined:

View attachment 155553

One could wonder if there was a long-time stalker. It's likely leaves near the Google camera that just make a nice illusion. But I am curious about the stack of coolers(?).
They could be storage tubs but they dont look like any I have seen before. If James was a hunter they could very well be coolers. My husband will keep wild meat in a cooler with ice for several days to get the blood and gamey taste out of it.

If the family had Wi-Fi and router, is it possible the perpetrator(s) had phones that attempted to connect to the router/wireless system? Even if they couldn't actually connect due to a password, I wonder if there is any data trail left behind... to capture the cell signal. Of course, if there is no trail, I believe this was a professional group of perpetrators.

Unless you park further away and walk there. It would be a struggle to drag or carry Jayme any distance if she was fighting though. And didn't they say the dog found no evidence of a trail outside the driveway?

I am just thinking that LE might know from what direction the perp pulled in and to what direction they went based on the soft driveway and that the father had time to see who was coming and get to the door but decided not to grab a gun (or didn't have time)

And the fact they are testing DNA means they have a profile that is not one of the family members and I am guessing it came from the bed, which may suggest a sexual assault of some kind took place. Perhaps mom was tied to the chair and got away grabbed her phone and called 911.

Hmm, we haven't seen this verified by LE, but this article also says Denise was in the bathroom. Seems to me only Radar and Daily Mail reported it before and so I haven't personally run with the theory before.

New Video Surveillance Search Expanded, Electronic Device Detecting K-9 Utilized in Jayme Closs Search

When Barron County deputies arrived four minutes later, they found the door appeared to have been kicked in and a male who answered the door, was down. There were multiple spent rounds nearby. As authorities made their way farther into the home, they came across a second person down. It was Denise and she was in the bathroom.

Interesting ... that detail is no longer in the article, but there is no note of correction maybe LE didn't want that detail out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214