AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on the verbosity of the logs available, which can vary by model and how it is set up, a home router could theoretically show the MAC address /Name of devices that tried to connect to it, not just ones that were successful at connecting.

Last edited:
Depending on the verbosity of the logs available, which can vary by model and how it is set up, a home router could theoretically show the MAC address /Name of devices that tried to connect to it, not just ones that were successful at connecting.
This is interesting, would be great if their home router could provide this info. More technology I don’t know about and hopefully evil people committing crimes don’t either!

Thank you! I rounded up, 8 minutes. 7+ minutes between the time that police were alerted to a problem, and police arrival at the scene. That's significant.

Did the Sheriff say this happened in a "short time, and did he say that "short time" could be 4 minutes? What is a "short time" for a home invasion? 4 minutes? 15 hours? Between ear witness gunshots and 911 call, it seems like this lasted 25 minutes, not 4 or 8.

I'm not assuming that someone was prowling around outside the house, coming to the front door, dad getting up to see what's going on, dad getting shot through the door, the door being kicked in, mom being shot, mom being found in the bathroom, someone getting to a phone, someone making the call. It's a bit like a car accident where you slow down and can't look away.

I think the 25 minutes timeline is most likely.

The suspect should be thankful that that he got away with it and that Jayme is a kind child.
Otto, the Sheriff has said that the perp(s) were only in the house for a very short time. I believe the neighbour misread the time of the shots, it was likely 12:58 not 12:38, making the actual tome 12:51 when you adjust for the 7 minute clock discrepancy. This would make the first shots two minutes before the 911 call.

You might ask why would we doubt the neighbours testimony? Well the Sheriff has stated that this crime happened quickly, that it all went down in a couple of minutes. How would he know this? What type of timekeeping could he have that would allow him to discount the neighbour's testimony? The only possible answer would be that Denise's injuries were used to estimate the maximum amount of time between the second gunshot and the 911 call. Her injuries were obviously very serious, and the coroner would be able to give a pretty close estimation as to the maximum amount of time she could have maintained consciousness. In my opinion this estimate was a short amount of time, less than five minutes. So with that information LE can deduce that if the shots were fired at 12:31, there is no possible way that Denise could have called 911 at 12:53. The neighbour has to be mistaken.

By "tried" I take it that you mean somebody that's actually tried to connect to the network? I don't think it would log the address of every device that happened to be in the vicinity.

I saw a picture of Jayme that was more recent than the one that has been widely circulated. She looked very different in this picture, I almost didn’t recognize her. She was wearing makeup and her hair was quite different. She looked older and more like an average teenager.

Thank you! I rounded up, 8 minutes. 7+ minutes between the time that police were alerted to a problem, and police arrival at the scene. That's significant.

Did the Sheriff say this happened in a "short time, and did he say that "short time" could be 4 minutes? What is a "short time" for a home invasion? 4 minutes? 15 hours? Between ear witness gunshots and 911 call, it seems like this lasted 25 minutes, not 4 or 8.

I'm not assuming that someone was prowling around outside the house, coming to the front door, dad getting up to see what's going on, dad getting shot through the door, the door being kicked in, mom being shot, mom being found in the bathroom, someone getting to a phone, someone making the call. It's a bit like a car accident where you slow down and can't look away.

I think the 25 minutes timeline is most likely.

The suspect should be thankful that that he got away with it and that Jayme is a kind child.

The 8 minutes sequence reminds me of another case where a young child was abducted from her home.

She was later found raped and murdered in a ditch close by.

The family had surveillance cameras and it happened in the middle of the night. The suspect had never been inside of their home before.

But the outside camera footage showed it only took him 8 minutes from first entering the dark home and from when he is seen walking out with the little girl in his arms. No one even knew he was there.

I'm sorry I cant remember the little victim's name at the moment.

But it does shows a lot can happen in just 8 minutes.

Imo

I wonder what the odds are that the perp drove by the Closs house or made a sorta dry run sometime over the weekend before making the real attack in the wee hours of Monday morning. If that happened, maybe it's possible that the perp's cell phone pinged the same cell tower that Denise's phone pinged when her phone was used to call 911. I'd think that the perp prolly wouldn't have brought his cell phone along when making the attack, out of concerns about technology exposing him to LE. But the perp, I'd think, very likely might have had his cell phone with him if simply eyeballing the house while driving by a couple times over the weekend.

Barron isn't a big place; perhaps LE, if it hasn't already done so, could take on the arduous task of identifying every cell phone that pinged that cell tower from say the Friday morning before the attack until the wee hours of Monday morning when the assault was carried out. Interviewing anyone whose cell phone pinged that tower over that weekend would seem like a productive step at a time when LE admits it is struggling for clues.

By "tried" I take it that you mean somebody that's actually tried to connect to the network? I don't think it would log the address of every device that happened to be in the vicinity.

You can set your smart phone up to automatically look for wifi. I think it might even be the default and you manually have to turn it off if you don't want your phone constantly looking for wifi. I took the comment to mean that if the bad guy had his phone searching for wifi connections and they were within so many feet of the router, it would log his MAC number.

One of the things so sad to me among so many things is I truly believe Jayme was a naive sweet child who had never experienced having her first boyfriend.

I pray she gets to have that opportunity one day in the future.

Jmo

It’s totally bizarre that anybody could connect this story to Jayme Closs - yet Facebook exploded this afternoon as soon as they heard “wanted in Wisconsin”. I’m convinced that Facebook needs to crack down on these “closed groups” that cook up this garbage.
There were some interesting angles, but just to be clear, the “girlfriend” in the boyfriend-girlfriend pair was never rumored to be Jayme. I have never believed Jayme had a boyfriend. My bs detector only went loose out of hope because it was the first activity that made me feel hopeful that she was being kept alive (by a crazed boyfriend-girlfriend pair). Glad you were smarter. I’m feeling jaded and bummed. Time to go to work and hopefully maybe do some exercise tonight and refocus.

Looks like the Challenger has been taken off the potential suspect list:
A month after Jayme Closs vanished, the feeling in her hometown is 'very dark'

“Investigators expanded the scope of their search last week, looking at new video from additional stores and businesses along local roadways beyond Barron County. But that effort actually subtracted a clue, Fitzgerald said. A red or orange Dodge Challenger that had been reported in the area was scratched from the potential suspect list after video analysts taking a closer look decided that a car seen in some of the videos might not be a Challenger.”

Last edited:
There were some interesting angles, but just to be clear, the “girlfriend” in the boyfriend-girlfriend pair was never rumored to be Jayme. I have never believed Jayme had a boyfriend. My bs detector only went loose out of hope because it was the first activity that made me feel hopeful that she was being kept alive (by a crazed boyfriend-girlfriend pair). Glad you were smarter. I’m feeling jaded and bummed. Time to go to work and hopefully maybe do some exercise tonight and refocus.
I agree that Jayme didn't have a boyfriend per se, but I think there it is reasonable to speculate that she might have been communicating with someone online. This could have been a random stranger, or someone even local. If this is the case, LE would know this by now, but depending on the level of sophistication of the other person, they may still be working on tracing.

On the other hand, this could have been a revenge hit on one or both of the parents, and the Perp took Jayme for nefarious purposes. I keep vacillating between both speculations, but think the second is more likely. If I were LE, I'd be investigating every firing or grievance from the parents place of work going back at least two years.

Amateur speculation and opinion

Looks like the Challenger has been taken off the potential suspect list:
A month after Jayme Closs vanished, the feeling in her hometown is 'very dark'

“Investigators expanded the scope of their search last week, looking at new video from additional stores and businesses along local roadways beyond Barron County. But that effort actually subtracted a clue, Fitzgerald said. A red or orange Dodge Challenger that had been reported in the area was scratched from the potential suspect list after video analysts taking a closer look decided that a car seen in some of the videos might not be a Challenger.”

Ok, so do you all read this as.....this car, whatever it is, is STILL a car of interest, it just might not be a Dodge Challenger?

And please forgive me if this has been already discussed. You guys know how hard it is to keep up with every post!

Last edited:
I wonder what the odds are that the perp drove by the Closs house or made a sorta dry run sometime over the weekend before making the real attack in the wee hours of Monday morning. If that happened, maybe it's possible that the perp's cell phone pinged the same cell tower that Denise's phone pinged when her phone was used to call 911. I'd think that the perp prolly wouldn't have brought his cell phone along when making the attack, out of concerns about technology exposing him to LE. But the perp, I'd think, very likely might have had his cell phone with him if simply eyeballing the house while driving by a couple times over the weekend.

Barron isn't a big place; perhaps LE, if it hasn't already done so, could take on the arduous task of identifying every cell phone that pinged that cell tower from say the Friday morning before the attack until the wee hours of Monday morning when the assault was carried out. Interviewing anyone whose cell phone pinged that tower over that weekend would seem like a productive step at a time when LE admits it is struggling for clues.

Now that is a good idea for how to figure out who it was-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member