AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The longer this goes on, the more I think of murderer and kidnapper Jeffrey Easley and the distance away he achieved. Specifically, travel wise, he and the 12 year old managed to get from the east coast to the west coast without being caught. Over 2,000 miles undetected. By now, Jayme could be anywhere. So disheartening! JMO

And recently, Tad Cummins and Elizabeth Thomas... Authorities and Elizabeth’s family have said Cummins groomed her for months before the abduction.

And, I agree, they could be anywhere, anywhere but probably not around Barron.

Right. So if they havent reached the door, and the body was inside the door, WHAT made him think this was an attempted suicide? Thats my question.

I keep wondering if they heard a gunshot on the 911 call. Why else would they send three LE to a 911 hang-up? Shots fired? Whoever made the 911 call had not been shot (yet) IMO Is that why suicide initial "observation" ?

And recently, Tad Cummins and Elizabeth Thomas... Authorities and Elizabeth’s family have said Cummins groomed her for months before the abduction.

Ugh!!!! I had forgotten that one. Makes my skin crawl! I agree with you completely.

Yes and in these cases and others, LE put out an alert for the male as soon as his name was known...which they would do here if they truly had a suspect. Same with Hannah Anderson. All three girls were recovered safely.

I keep wondering if they heard a gunshot on the 911 call. Why else would they send three LE to a 911 hang-up? Shots fired? Whoever made the 911 call had not been shot (yet) IMO Is that why suicide initial "observation" ?

Unless the responders had lights flashing etc, I doubt it. Shots fired is a different response, imo. I would imagine at nearly 1am any LE working in the area would have been free to respond...not much else going on and back-up is always welcome but jmo.

Three units responded when I made a call locally regarding to some property damage and an ongoing domestic disturbance, and more recently, four LE units responded to a call for an unconscious man in a local driveway. These calls were in early evening and around 4 AM, respectively.

All that to say, 3 units doesn't seem like that unreasonable a number to me. I would expect MORE for a shots fired call, frankly.

B. Y’all will have to tell me.,, can u not take GPS location of the Closs house and do 50 yards around house ... give me any cell phone to hit that area last 24 months ... can’t be more than 100 to 200 people ?? Most are easy to eliminate ?? Jamie friends aunts/ grandpa / mailman...ups driver.
??? Can we get this ?? Or can Fitzgerald get this ??

There's been so many questions of cell phones and pings on here. This article gives a really good novice explanation.
What Your Cell Phone Can’t Tell the Police

The answer is ... Not likely in this case.

You would have to have at least one or more of these things:
1. Have the perps phone in LE possession
2. Have a suspect to issue a warrant to their carrier for records
3. Perp would have had to been allowing location services on a GPS capable phone with them. Registered to them.
4. #3 .... PLUS the perp placed a phone call or texted while on Closs property

They cannot just pull a log that lists everyone in that area in any given time frame. As we have no perp phone and no real suspects ... #3&4 together would be the most likely way to nail down someone as having been there during the commission of the crime.

If premeditated, I don't think most people about to commit a double homicide and kidnapping are going to have their location services on and make a call or text in the middle of it. It has happened that someone did so nearby before or after the crime but I think LE would have that information and been acting on it already if it showed anything.

I wonder if it has been determined if Jayme’s usual warm jacket is missing, or her favorite shoes, whatever she might grab instinctively. Maybe she tended to wear the denim jacket all the time...is it still accounted for? Seems like an aunt or someone could have looked at her clothes and maybe noticed what if anything is missing. Did she use a purse or backpack? Odd that seemingly nothing has been determined. Jmo
IMO, I don’t think she grabbed anything...still in her night clothes and immediately taken.

But a cell phone can be traced. And I guess they could even find out if someone was using an app at the scene.
I did find portable police scanners (Dutch). Maybe one of you guys can tell me more about US scanners. Can such a scanner be traced?

What puzzles me is if the perp found out via a scanner that police was dispatched. Someone had to disconnect Denise's phone. I can't imagine it was one of the victims. So how did the perp find out?

Scanners can't be traced but you need a permit to have one in a car but most people just use them and don't worry until they're pulled over.

Regarding Denise's phone: she was on the phone at 8 with her sister and 10. It may have disconnected due to being low on batteries or getting jostled around in the fracas.

911 dispatches on almost all hang ups but especially so if they hear a disturbance or yelling and can't make contact back. In my experience, the larger the city the longer the response time and the fewer responding officers. In small counties ? They send half the force and arrive fast when you tell them you have a bat loose in the living room (yes, that's from experience - mom with dementia). Supply and demand.

There's been so many questions of cell phones and pings on here. This article gives a really good novice explanation.

3. Perp would have had to been allowing location services on a GPS capable phone with them. Registered to them.

They cannot just pull a log that lists everyone in that area in any given time frame. As we have no perp phone and no real suspects ... #3&4 together would be the most likely way to nail down someone as having been there during the commission of the crime.

If premeditated, I don't think most people about to commit a double homicide and kidnapping are going to have their location services on and make a call or text in the middle of it. It has happened that someone did so nearby before or after the crime but I think LE would have that information and been acting on it already if it showed anything.
I just can't understand why any perp would take his/her phone with them to a crime scene. Leave the damn thing at home. Helps with an alibi too.

If there is no perp's phone trail at this crime scene, it might point in the direction of 'pre planned' IMO.

Scanners can't be traced but you need a permit to have one in a car but most people just use them and don't worry until they're pulled over.

Regarding Denise's phone: she was on the phone at 8 with her sister and 10. It may have disconnected due to being low on batteries or getting jostled around in the fracas.
Do you know if you need a permit for a portable scanner as well?

I found early on that there is an 8 AM to 4 PM shift. Don't know if that is for all personnel or just support. If all then maybe a following 4 to 12 followed by a 12 to 8 shifts. If not 8 hour shifts then I have no idea.
Speaking to this - husband is LE and has been for 15 years. Shifts for his county police dept run 7am - 3pm, 3pm - 11pm and 11pm - 7am. So three shifts.

If this follows in Barron County, and there is an 8-4 shift, I would imagine that the shift change would occur around 12:20 or so (after lineup)

Great post and was afraid of this ...

Well atleast they can ask potential perps for phones any hesitation or no... would lead to a good person to pursue ..

In Mollie Tibet’s think there was weird hog farmer that said sure take my phone overnite... and that ruled him out or moved investigation quickly along..

Frustrating they can’t get more info quickly... good posted info ..

When you read the above quotes it almost sounds like LE were the ones that may have kicked in the door in? Is it possible that no one answered right away so they kicked in the door? JMO
That was my initial thought when reading the statement that LE kicked the door in... I also didn't understand the certainty that James answered the door... you don't answer a door that is being kicked in you usually move away from it or try to further baracade it In my opinion

Do you know if you need a permit for a portable scanner as well?

I don't know where the information came from that you need to have a permit for a police scanner because that's not true in the majority of the US. Established by the 1934 communications act, all airwaves in the US are public property.

The only restrictions I know of placed on police scanners are
- 5 states make it illegal to use one while driving (WI is not one)
(some states have exemptions for licensed ham operators)
- 10 states make it illegal to use a police scanner to further a crime (WI is not one)

Edited to add : aliensporebomb, Are you thinking of radar detectors? Those are very different than police scanners.

911 dispatches on almost all hang ups but especially so if they hear a disturbance or yelling and can't make contact back. In my experience, the larger the city the longer the response time and the fewer responding officers. In small counties ? They send half the force and arrive fast when you tell them you have a bat loose in the living room (yes, that's from experience - mom with dementia). Supply and demand.

Thank you. I posted about 911 hang up response from LE from POV of big city where I live, and you are correct. Gunshots or Fireworks is an unfortunate refrain in my urban neighborhood. When we call 911 to report, we don't ever really know if LE has shown or not.

That was my initial thought when reading the statement that LE kicked the door in... I also didn't understand the certainty that James answered the door... you don't answer a door that is being kicked in you usually move away from it or try to further baracade it In my opinion

Right?! Me too, but if cops kicked in the door, would they still have taken it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat