AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so someone arrives, shoots the dad and hangs out with the mom and Jayme for 30 minutes? I mean, you are right that it doesn't say she was barricaded there the whole time but there is a lot of time in between when shots were heard and when the 911 call was placed. To me, it doesn't make sense, but you're not wrong either. :D

That same source says that "fire erupted through the door." I think there were videos or photos of the door and most agreed that there didn't seem to be any indication of damage to the door.... yet, it was still taken as evidence for some reason. If there was an indication that there'd be evidence like fingerprints, etc., wouldn't they have just kept it there and swabbed? Or, was it taken because James passed away nearby and there was additional evidence they'd need? Or, is the fact the door is gone indicative that there was damage to the door we maybe didn't see? Idk. Just thinking out loud...
The door would have stayed in place until all tests were done I would think. Then it would be removed and taken to a lab.

Ok, so someone arrives, shoots the dad and hangs out with the mom and Jayme for 30 minutes? I mean, you are right that it doesn't say she was barricaded there the whole time but there is a lot of time in between when shots were heard and when the 911 call was placed. To me, it doesn't make sense, but you're not wrong either. :D
I agree. it's confusing either way. I don't know why she would hide there for so long without calling 911, though, unless it was because she was badly wounded, which is possible. I was just wondering if there was a bit of a struggle first after the father was shot, especially if she sees the attacker is going after her girl?

This whole case is so strange. :(

Or barricaded after being shot, lost consciousness but then regained consciousness later and then called? One article said the dad was found at the front door and it was reported five minutes later that the mother was found inside the home. They could have still been clearing the house before reporting the 2nd person found? I would have to guess that the assailant(s) already had Jayme under their control if it turns out that DC barricaded herself in a bathroom.
I think if she was in the bathroom for awhile, this is the most plausible explanation.

I've put my skills as a programmer to good use here, and defeated their rudimentary "paywall" for subscribers only.

I've attached a PDF of the article, since the contents of the article are all available, as others have cited through the HTML directly.

Here is the article from the Barron News Shield:
Search intensifies for girl; 13-year-old vanishes after parents killed

Attached is the PDF of the entire document..
The way I read this article is that it took LE 5 minutes to locate the second victim after reporting to dispatch that they had a "man down and "multiple rounds spent"". 5 minutes to find the Mom???? that is a small house and we did look at multiple views and thought there was a basement. Wonder what took so long to find her if this article is accurate?

Trying to find that trailer court on street view, but I'll be damned if I can see anything that looks like a trailer court.

Or, rereading the article, it seems like maybe she barricaded herself in there to call 911 and was in the process of trying when she was shot? That could have all happened within a split second or two and still be accurate. And, if she was in there while shot, the perp(s) may not have realized she was still partially alive to connect the call a bit later? Maybe?

The way I read this article is that it took LE 5 minutes to located the second victim after reporting to dispatch that they had a "man down and "multiple rounds spent"". 5 minutes to find the Mom???? that is a small house and we did look at multiple views and thought there was a basement. Wonder what took so long to find her if this article is accurate?
If the door was barricaded, it might take a little time to get around that, especially if they're not sure what's on the other side and want to take precautions about being ambushed. I imagine it was a very chaotic looking crime scene, too. I wonder if any first responders knew the family because it was a small town and immediately knew someone was missing or if it took awhile to figure that out.

911 call log obtained*

Mary McGuire‏Verified account @mcguirereports

NEW: @CNN has obtained the #JaymeCloss 911 call log. - Call was made from Denise Closs’s cell phone. - No one spoke directly to 911 dispatcher, but “a lot of yelling was heard” in the background. - Family dog was still at the house when deputies arrived. @WCCO #wcco #barron

Mary McGuire on Twitter

BBM

This is the first I have heard about the dogs whereabouts, but I have skipped through a lot of pages at times when catching up. Interesting that the dog was still there and I wonder if the dog was in a kennel or roaming the house or what. And if the dog seemed very distraught or how it was acting.

ETA - I hope they swabbed the dogs mouth for any human dna if he happened to have bitten the intruder, but I think if he had bitten the intruder, he most likely would have been shot as well. I would think that the dog might have bitten if he were roaming free in the house and not put up somewhere for the night, unless he knew the intruder. I wonder if dog barking could be heard on the 911 call.

The way I read this article is that it took LE 5 minutes to located the second victim after reporting to dispatch that they had a "man down and "multiple rounds spent"". 5 minutes to find the Mom???? that is a small house and we did look at multiple views and thought there was a basement. Wonder what took so long to find her if this article is accurate?
That is the article I mentioned in my post above - I think it's possible they found the mom sooner, but didn't report it for five minutes since they may have still been "clearing" the house. LE didn't want to "report anything" until all cleared or they would be heard any intruder that could still be in the house. Speculating, of course.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this. You remove a door from the hinge side, not the knob side. There is clearly damage to the door jam on the knob side.

I know we've since seen a better photo of the removed door leaning against the wall, but I just wanted to make the point that it is common for the storm door to be hinged on the opposite side of the jamb from the main door. So with both doors removed there are likely to be marks/damage on both sides of the jamb.

Yeah. My point was that when many people hear “multiple,” myself included, I’m thinking the place was shot up.

Of course two meets the definition, the same way that 12 does.

Remember that when the cop radioed back about "man down and multiple gunshot wounds" only dad had been found at that point. Since LE has confirmed they were both killed by gunshots, that tells us there were more than two shots altogether (or that the gruesome nature of dad's injury made one shot look like more, I suppose).

My thoughts on this are that possibly one of the parents was shot before the neighbors got home.

I'm confused...... how could they not know there were children (or a child- Jayme) in the home if they witnessed a school bus stopping every day?

I think the neighbor is leaving clarifying language out of her comments, like people often do. I think she is saying she might not have known there was a child living there except for seeing her get on/off the bus. I think her real point is that she didn't see Jayme play outside, there weren't kid-identifying things laying out in the yard, etc.

But LE has stated they think Jayme was there at the time of the 911 call.

Also, she would have had to have died in the 4 minutes it took LE to get there and be dead enough that she wasn’t even taken to a hospital. MOO it was Jayme or perp who called.

No, LE has stated they think Jayme was there at the time of the shootings. They haven't said anything about her being there at the time of the call.

Respectfully, that can't be right. The article is dated October 17.
MOO

That newspaper is a weekly. They do seem to update articles and post new articles daily online though. But being a weekly may explain if an article is dated days after an event.

Well, there is Jayme's caretaker who would have no doubt, discovered all of this when she went to pick her up the next day from school. So hopefully, I don't think it would have taken days before they were discovered.

I don't think we've seen anything suggesting she still has a caretaker (though a driver seems logical since she has lots of activities in surrounding towns and parents might be working changing shifts). The caretaker might have been only when she was younger. Or could still be active, we just don't know for sure.

My problem with that theory is that LE has clearly said that the noises they heard in the background lead them to conclude that Jayme was home when the call was made. Not sure how you draw that conclusion unless she could be heard in the background.

Again, no, they said at the time of the shootings. They could have heard on the 911 call someone (presumably Denise) calling out to James, asking if he's ok (how sad), asking if Jayme is there or gone, maybe saying something like "oh my god, he took her" which would suggest Jayme was home at the time of the shootings without necessarily being there at the time of the call.

I'm thinking maybe mom was shot earlier and perp thought she was dead but she wasn't, he moved on to whatever else happened there, mom was eventually able to get to phone and dial. Yes, tight timing if she was dead when LE arrived moments later, but still possible. (and for whoever asked if we know for sure no one was alive when LE arrived, it hasn't been stated officially that I've seen, but been pointed out that certainly an ambulance would have been called if there was any likelihood, and it doesn't seem that happened.)

Last edited:
I don't think that we can trust that the neighbors heard all of the shots fired that night. IIR early on LE mentioned a difficult scene and multiple rounds.

I think DC may have been in her bedroom/bed and was alerted to a situation she needed to hide from and barricaded herself (possibly trying to keep JC with her) perhaps in a closet, which would take longer (not sure 5mins...) to find if LE were searching after seeing the first body.

Pardon my random thoughts, but why would you bother to tie someone up if your intention is to kill them ? That is , of course, assuming that anyone actually WAS tied up. The only scenario I can logically construct for that is a home invasion that occurs prior to the father coming home and catching the suspect(s) by surprise. But then, why take someone with you ?
( I think I need a coffee break. )

This was Dennis Rader's entire MO. Bind, Torture, Kill.

Search intensifies for girl; 13-year-old vanishes after parents killed

Dispatch logs describe incident. The phone call came from mom’s phone.

“According to Barron County dispatch logs, a 911 call was placed at 12:56 a.m. Oct. 15 from a phone with a voicemail that indicates it lists to Denise Closs.

The dispatcher reported hearing “a lot of yelling.” The dispatcher called back but couldn’t leave a message. A computer trace indicated the phone was at the Closs home, 1268 13 1/2 Ave. (U.S. Hwy. 8). Three deputies were sent to the scene.

About 10 minutes later, a deputy reported a man down and “multiple rounds spent.””

Still catching up so forgive me if this has already been said, but the "yelling" makes me believe this is someone known to the family.

ITA that it was actually Denise's cell phone the call was made from. They said the voicemail was listed to Denise. To me that means when they called back it was her actual voicemail, hence her phone as opposed to Dads or Jayme's. I think the word "listed" is throwing people off because most families have a plan that's listed under only one person's name. I don't think they would have said the word voicemail if it was just a cell phone listed under Denise's name and I wouldn't think Dad or Jayme's phones would have Denise speaking their voicemail announcement. With that being said, it doesn't mean Denise is the one who made the 911 call, just that it came from her phone.

Also supporting this is the sheriff on the AB show saying they don't know if jayme has a phone with her or not.

Look at Google Maps

I looked up property records to find where the Smrekars (neighbors) live, and it is in fact the first neighbor west of the Closs home. According to Google Maps, that's around 240 yards away, straight line. You can right click on the map to measure distance and click between the two houses. Or look at my previous post where I attached a picture with the distance measured between the two houses.

Either those reporters are wrong or Google Maps is wrong. I side with Google.

As I understood it, she moved SCHOOLS to be closer to the caretaker---not houses. That wouldnt be uncommon if it were a family member, such as grandparents or aunts, doing the caretaking.

Although this may have been mentioned already... maybe they are referring to a classroom paraprofessional (para). Possibly the para went to another school and since this person worked well with JC they followed her. I'm special ed para and in our district it has happened. Total speculation on my part....

We're only allowed to discuss things from allowed sources. If a source isn't allowed when you try to link it and has **** instead, my understanding is that discussion of that content is also off limits until/unless the content is available from an allowed source.

And the more these posts and others that are discussing things we've been told not to discuss (should be notes on the first page that are in addition to the usual TOS rules) the more likely the thread will have to be shut down for the mods to do clean up, which is a shame when there's good discussion going on here :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MisstressNifer