Woman Gives Birth To Octuplets II

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not surprised to hear she prefers "positive vibes" or whatever and "be gentle', or just ignoring bad behaviors. Consistency and discipline is HARD WORK! I'm sure you all have maybe seen Super Nanny teaching parents time-outs. I love how they show on the screen how many times they put the child back on the chair LOL. Once you do timeout correctly and consistently, it works!

IMO spanking is also the easy way. I have never spanked my kids and they are very well behaved - I believe spanking just teaches if you are angry you can hit. I am angry at you right now so I am going to hit you -- JMO)

So sad her kids are calling out to her and she just smiles and ignores them while on t.v. :(

ETA - About the biting. I don't have experience with that. I'm thankful we missed the awful issue. I think that may just be a normal child thing? I can see a child thinking "hmm. I think I'll bite". Then they get quite the reaction good or bad so they do it again. Maybe Nadya's child is doing it because bad attention is better than no attention. Anyone else been through that?

I doubt very much Octomom remembers the names of all 14 youngsters. I suppose a tatoo on each of them with their name would help her. Until then, she'll just have to point and say "that one."
But let's face it, how can she teach them appropriate behavior, when she doesn't know how to act herself.
Do the rest of you have that much trouble with kids biting? I only had two children, close together in age, but biting was NEVER a problem.
Anyone got any insight as to why kids bite and explain it to me? And, how do you stop them from biting without a muzzle?

Oh az... our middle boy was a biter. First, you never hold a biter facing you. If he's facing outward, he can't bite you. It was a short lived phase he went through. (Thank God!) I think it's pretty normal for tots to bite, just like it's pretty normal for a mom to tell him "NO!" I am not sure the word "NO!" is in Nadya's vocabulary?

I think you pegged it... "how can she teach the appropriate behavior, when she doesn't know how to act herself?"

We never needed a muzzle, frozen bagels worked well for teething, gnawing and chomping. :blowkiss:

At the same link there's a great letter from PETA advising her not to expand her brood!
I'm sure PETA would do a complete turnaround if Nadya would come to their side and do things like,tell ppl not to put leather diapers on their baby,or buy their kids fur coats in preemie sizes,you know,things only single moms who have 14 kids and receive gov't assistance do. :D

I doubt very much Octomom remembers the names of all 14 youngsters. I suppose a tatoo on each of them with their name would help her. Until then, she'll just have to point and say "that one."
But let's face it, how can she teach them appropriate behavior, when she doesn't know how to act herself.
Do the rest of you have that much trouble with kids biting? I only had two children, close together in age, but biting was NEVER a problem.
Anyone got any insight as to why kids bite and explain it to me? And, how do you stop them from biting without a muzzle?

When my young adults were lil tots I took a Mommy and Me class at the JC with each of them. It was for pre-preschoolers, but they were walking so I'm guessing it was aimed at 12 to 30 months. (Prime biting age)

It was set up to be playtime, (things you wouldn't try or didn't think to try at home; like finger painting with choc pudding) supportive and educational.

One semester we had a serial biter, this kid wasn't biting because JR had a toy he wanted, this kid was stealth. He reached out and bit whoever was handy when then the mood struck. And his mom had a very odd affect about it, most moms were very apologetic when their angel tasted another kid, but Chompers mom never reacted at all.

Needless to say we spent a lot of the support and educational time discussing biting in that class.

*Most biters are pre-verbal and just get frustrated over their inability to communicate effectively, "I want what you have now!" Chomp. Some do it more when tired or hungry even though there is no other apparent motivating factors.

*Infants bite as part of learning about their world, a sharp "No biting" from mom when Jr tries out his new teeth on her breast is usually all it takes to nip this behavior in the bud. Older infants will sometimes bite out of aggression, again this is part of learning what works and what doesn't, but sometimes becomes an attention ploy if not stopped immediately.

*The pre-verbal toddler who bites maybe expressing fear or reacting to abuse he has received. He maybe an aggressive tot who hasn't been taught biting is never acceptable. Some biters are just overwhelmed and bite to gain control of the situation.

*OK, I'm wimping out, I know why they bite, getting them to stop if they've gotten old enough that it's a problem is hit and miss in my experience. Stopping it before it happens by shadowing the biter and interjecting "NO biting, that hurts", time out, removing from the situation. Keeping them out of a situation that is known to be an aggravating circumstance. They usually outgrow the behavior quickly as their vocabulary increases. Mainly it is the need to be consistent, and quick. Personally I like the idea of a muzzle.

*This book is said to be good: Teeth are not for Biting. Available from Applebaum Institute or from their website.

*In the class, the biter was given a plastic lid on a piece of yarn necklace and told to bite this when the urge strikes. I never saw a child chew on the lid but the biters were easily recognized and that gave the adults a clue for keeping a closer eye on those kids.

This is from About.com: What Can Parents Do To Stop A Biting Child

http://childcare.about.com/cs/behaviors/f/biting.htm

1) Firmly say "No bite!" and remove the biting child offender from the situation.

2) Administer an appropriate consequence such as removal of the toy or a time-out for a biting child.

3) Lavish positive attention on the bitten toddler.

4) Use distraction between young kids and watch their interaction closely to avoid placing youngsters--especially one to be known to be a biting child--in a conflict situation.

5) Resist the temptation to bite a biting child back as a way to "show them" their wrongs. Use a positive approach instead. You don't want your toddler telling his teacher that he bites because that's what his parents do!

I never learned the cause of Chomper's behavior, maybe he just felt stressed out by being enrolled in college before he was weaned. IDK His behavior continued week after week, until he bit a child so hard it drew blood. Chomper's mommy was asked to stay after class and we never saw either of them again.

Oh boy! I was looking to see if I had missed any new forms of teaching kids not to bite when I came across this. It is the reply to a grandma who asked for advice to stop this aggressive behavior in her 10 mo old gbaby. It's very... um, new age LOL!!!

(snipped)

Your granddaughter's biting or pinching when she gets frustrated is quite normal for her age. There is no reason to interpret her actions in negative terms. She is likely expressing her frustration (or experimentation) in the only way she can. She will learn appropriate boundaries from your and her mother's natural reactions to being bitten.
Your granddaughter's behavior is a sign that she is trying to communicate her needs or experience in some way. This kind of expression is not a sign of a "bad temper" by any means. If anything it is a signal that she is actively engaged in attempting to get her needs met through interpersonal interaction as well as experimenting with her ability to impact her environment. It is her parents' job (and yours if bitten or pinched!) to help her establish boundaries that are acceptable for such frustration.
Be patient with her. And restrain from interpreting unpopular behavior in negative characterological terms. Children depend on you to develop a sense of their true (and positive) identity. It is not too early to pay some conscious attention to the messages you may be inclined to relay to a child, whether in verbal or nonverbal communication.

Naturally, your granddaughter's biting people needs to stop, but her assertion may be viewed as a positive motivator for her behavior. More successful outlets for her assertion can be found as she develops. ( This kind of positive message supporting self-assertion can be particularly important in a girl's development.) It is not too early to verbally begin encouraging her, in a sympathetic tone, to express herself, but without biting. Naturally, she will probably only look at you and whimper, but it allows you to feel comfortable inviting her frustration and the expression of it, into your relationship. She may learn to cry louder and squirm in your arms, instead of pinching and biting you!
Self-esteem is built on the premise that our children need a positive reflection of their unique individuality in the world. This includes being frustrated and learning age appropriate boundaries for expressing and channeling anger. Assuming a "bad temper" so early in the game may diminish your ability to see your granddaughter's nature in more positive terms.

I am so glad that a firm "NO!" was all it took to stop our biter. :)

Is the word "NO!" considered as negative in Nadya's house?

I read yesterday that Nadya was adding a dog to the family fold. Her attorney spoke out very quickly and said "there will be no dog." Thank goodness.

NO may be very very good. Gentle may not be something a kid that age can comprehend - like when I saw this idiot mom in a grocery store with a raging toddler and she kept saying, "you need to cooperate". Um lady, I don't think your little one's vocab. is that good yet.

I suppose it's a good thing that I never had kids because I think my measures would be a bit more exteme than the book recommendations, but then again maybe not. I am compassionate. No would mean no, however. I never got a time out, I never was spanked in anger. I saw my parents anguish over spanking me - I rarely got in trouble though. The thought of putting them through that, the humilation and their disappointment in me was enough of a deterent.

By the way, would a shock collar be bad for a kid???? (JK)

LOL Ziggy, I say we put the collar on Octo-Mom and use it to train her to actually be a real mom. :D

When my young adults were lil tots I took a Mommy and Me class at the JC with each of them. It was for pre-preschoolers, but they were walking so I'm guessing it was aimed at 12 to 30 months. (Prime biting age)

It was set up to be playtime, (things you wouldn't try or didn't think to try at home; like finger painting with choc pudding) supportive and educational.

One semester we had a serial biter, this kid wasn't biting because JR had a toy he wanted, this kid was stealth. He reached out and bit whoever was handy when then the mood struck. And his mom had a very odd affect about it, most moms were very apologetic when their angel tasted another kid, but Chompers mom never reacted at all.

Needless to say we spent a lot of the support and educational time discussing biting in that class.

*Most biters are pre-verbal and just get frustrated over their inability to communicate effectively, "I want what you have now!" Chomp. Some do it more when tired or hungry even though there is no other apparent motivating factors.

*Infants bite as part of learning about their world, a sharp "No biting" from mom when Jr tries out his new teeth on her breast is usually all it takes to nip this behavior in the bud. Older infants will sometimes bite out of aggression, again this is part of learning what works and what doesn't, but sometimes becomes an attention ploy if not stopped immediately.

*The pre-verbal toddler who bites maybe expressing fear or reacting to abuse he has received. He maybe an aggressive tot who hasn't been taught biting is never acceptable. Some biters are just overwhelmed and bite to gain control of the situation.

*OK, I'm wimping out, I know why they bite, getting them to stop if they've gotten old enough that it's a problem is hit and miss in my experience. Stopping it before it happens by shadowing the biter and interjecting "NO biting, that hurts", time out, removing from the situation. Keeping them out of a situation that is known to be an aggravating circumstance. They usually outgrow the behavior quickly as their vocabulary increases. Mainly it is the need to be consistent, and quick. Personally I like the idea of a muzzle.

*This book is said to be good: Teeth are not for Biting. Available from Applebaum Institute or from their website.

*In the class, the biter was given a plastic lid on a piece of yarn necklace and told to bite this when the urge strikes. I never saw a child chew on the lid but the biters were easily recognized and that gave the adults a clue for keeping a closer eye on those kids.

This is from About.com: What Can Parents Do To Stop A Biting Child

http://childcare.about.com/cs/behaviors/f/biting.htm

1) Firmly say "No bite!" and remove the biting child offender from the situation.

2) Administer an appropriate consequence such as removal of the toy or a time-out for a biting child.

3) Lavish positive attention on the bitten toddler.

4) Use distraction between young kids and watch their interaction closely to avoid placing youngsters--especially one to be known to be a biting child--in a conflict situation.

5) Resist the temptation to bite a biting child back as a way to "show them" their wrongs. Use a positive approach instead. You don't want your toddler telling his teacher that he bites because that's what his parents do!

I never learned the cause of Chomper's behavior, maybe he just felt stressed out by being enrolled in college before he was weaned. IDK His behavior continued week after week, until he bit a child so hard it drew blood. Chomper's mommy was asked to stay after class and we never saw either of them again.

Oh boy! I was looking to see if I had missed any new forms of teaching kids not to bite when I came across this. It is the reply to a grandma who asked for advice to stop this aggressive behavior in her 10 mo old gbaby. It's very... um, new age LOL!!!

(snipped)

Your granddaughter's biting or pinching when she gets frustrated is quite normal for her age. There is no reason to interpret her actions in negative terms. She is likely expressing her frustration (or experimentation) in the only way she can. She will learn appropriate boundaries from your and her mother's natural reactions to being bitten.
Your granddaughter's behavior is a sign that she is trying to communicate her needs or experience in some way. This kind of expression is not a sign of a "bad temper" by any means. If anything it is a signal that she is actively engaged in attempting to get her needs met through interpersonal interaction as well as experimenting with her ability to impact her environment. It is her parents' job (and yours if bitten or pinched!) to help her establish boundaries that are acceptable for such frustration.
Be patient with her. And restrain from interpreting unpopular behavior in negative characterological terms. Children depend on you to develop a sense of their true (and positive) identity. It is not too early to pay some conscious attention to the messages you may be inclined to relay to a child, whether in verbal or nonverbal communication.

Naturally, your granddaughter's biting people needs to stop, but her assertion may be viewed as a positive motivator for her behavior. More successful outlets for her assertion can be found as she develops. ( This kind of positive message supporting self-assertion can be particularly important in a girl's development.) It is not too early to verbally begin encouraging her, in a sympathetic tone, to express herself, but without biting. Naturally, she will probably only look at you and whimper, but it allows you to feel comfortable inviting her frustration and the expression of it, into your relationship. She may learn to cry louder and squirm in your arms, instead of pinching and biting you!
Self-esteem is built on the premise that our children need a positive reflection of their unique individuality in the world. This includes being frustrated and learning age appropriate boundaries for expressing and channeling anger. Assuming a "bad temper" so early in the game may diminish your ability to see your granddaughter's nature in more positive terms.

Oh Lordie, missmybaby, that "New Age" answer to grandma is one of the funniest things i've read! LOL

LOL Ziggy, I say we put the collar on Octo-Mom and use it to train her to actually be a real mom. :D

The batteries would cost an arm an a leg... can you imagine how many times you'd have to hit "electrocute"! Thanks Kat for such a great visual! :eek:

I remember I cured my 3 yr old son (at the time) of biting in one fell swoop.

I bit him back! :D

Hmmmmm haven't seen anything yet. Its way past 11:30am in CA.

Wondering if it's not the father of all these kids? Lets hope there's a brain in his head and he's trying to do the right thing.

Lets hope that someone will do the right thing for these kids - they NEED A HERO!

Okay, so I must have missed the little press release.

Here's an interesting tidbit, I wonder if Nadya has broken yet another law???

In California, infants can start working when they're 15 days old, provided that they (or their parents) have a work permit and a note from a licensed physician. According to the California labor code, the note must attest that the child was not born prematurely, was of normal birth weight, and is, in the doctor's opinion, "physically capable of handling the stress of filmmaking." Also, the child's lungs, eyes, heart, and immune system must be "sufficiently developed to withstand the potential risks."

I understand these children are now far older than the labor code above however these preemies still have many months of delicate care & are at greater risk of severe infections and so forth. Nadya's decisions continue to be all for herself. ME ME ME ME ME. Always all about Nadya.

TMZ did a live feed of what looked to be a news conference and I recognized Gloria-- but I could not hear anything (the sound on my computer seems to be f-up!). So far, there is no word on news or websites as to what it was about. Guess we'll find out tonight on JVM or Nancy Grace.

Sorry Penelope, I have a link about the news.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2849-Denv...it-filed-to-protect-octuplets-earnings-assets

"Gloria Allred announced this morning that she has filed a petition in Orange County, California, requesting that a guardian be appointed to protect the earnings, income, and assets of the Suleman octuplets.

The petition was filed on behalf of plaintiff, Paul Peterson, who is a former child actor (Mickey Mouse Club and The Donna Reed Show) and has been an active, outsoken child labor advocate for decades. He has been instrumental in the passage of several California laws designed to protect children in the entertainment industry.
"

--------------------------------------
Sadly, it does nothing to protect the childrens safety or well-being nor force Nadya into therapy, parental courses, etc. There's so much 'evidence' out there to show how incompetent Nadya is and that she is completely incapable of making any decisions that are best for her kids. Protecting their money is okay but not nearly what those children need RIGHT NOW!

I agree with you Patty, but this is definitely a step in the right direction. Kudos to Paul Petersen and Gloria Allred for doing this.

I think it's a good start as well Rhythmic Sun. Maybe in this process, if the children are appointed a 'guardian' because they are child actors then another person can see what's going on.

For me, it's like a ticking time bomb - waiting to hear that either a child died or will be forever injured because of the lack of care & responsibility in that home.

I do think this is a good step in the right direction. It can be a way to curtail some of NS's actions as far as trying to profit from her children. Somehow she does need to be held accountable for how she is exploiting them. If she is not able to have total control of all money and if whoever is paying her money is under the microscope then perhaps some of the offers will stop. Babies should not be used in this way! She wanted to be a mother to many, I have no problem with her fading into the background and letting her be a mother and raise them if that does not put them in danger, sadly I don't think that is the case here.

VB

If it is not deemed frivilous, it might just trigger a GAL situation, which would not be bad. Wonder if the court would then be obligated to dig up the bio dad....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back