Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize this requires a link to confirm, and I have been looking for it.

IIRC Dina and Nina's father was an avid yachtsman. They were around the water and around boats their entire life.

It seems I read this in their father's obituary, which I cannot find at the moment. Will keep searching. Does this ring a bell for anyone else?

Eugenio "Gene" - Was born on June 28, 1932 in Lawrence, MA and entered into rest on June 14, 2003 in Palo Alto, CA. He was preceded in death by his parents, Antonino & Antonina Romano; brothers Joseph, Anthony, and Mateo Romano and sister Anna Tranchina. Eugenio spent his childhood in the Bernal Heights district of San Francisco where he met his most appreciated and lifelong friends. He graduated from Balboa High School in 1949 and shortly thereafter enlisted in the U.S. Coast Guard. After his honorable discharge from the military, he started and managed a successful business, "Romano's Moving & Transfer". Following retirement, he lived out his boyhood dream of becoming a cowboy cattle rancher and purchased a ranch in Gerber, CA. Although Eugenio wore many hats in his life and had many successes, his greatest accomplishment was the love and devotion he gave to his family. Eugenio treasured the special times he spent with his family and friends. He enjoyed traditional Italian family dinners, a great game of poker, playing with his favorite dogs Brownie and Sophie, yachting in Coronado, and reminiscing with his family about his "good ol' days with the boys from Bernal Heights". More than anything else, spending time with his daughters and their families always made him the most proud and joyful. His genuine warmth and larger than life smile will be greatly missed by everyone that had the privilege of knowing and loving him.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/ROMANO-Eugenio-Gene-2609170.php

Just as Cynic has stated previously, the Tugboat Hitch requires 3 wraps around a bollard, in this case a neck.

IMO, RZ's murderer stood behind her, NOT facing her, and looking down at the back of RZ's head while she was seated with her legs taped to the wicker chair. Thus the knot began with the rope under her chin rather than behind her neck.

Looking at Cynic's excellent illustration of the damage to RZ's neck as per the AR (Illustration 1), IMO the X criss cross furrows on the back of her neck well below the ligature furrows that angle upwards towards the ligature knot were a result of the first 2 tugboat hitch loops.

Illustration 1: Cynic's interpretation of the AR. Thank you, Cynic!
rz_head_cynic_zps305706b6.jpg

The final (3rd) rope loop/wrap and knot (the ligature) would then be yanked upwards with the snap of the 9 ft drop. The first 2 rope loops/wraps remain at neck level, as illustrated in Cynic’s video (Illustration 2).

Illustration 2. Stop frame from Cynic's excellent Tugboat Hitch video. Again, many thanks, Cynic!
cynic-video_zps86069c89.png

When tying the Tugboat Hitch around my own neck, front to back, rather than back to front, then flipping the rope to create the double hitch knot, the two loops remain in place, horizontally across my neck, even after applying force on the knot and tightening the knot by pulling upwards. They do NOT move upward with the knot.

Note: when creating the two loops directly below my ear, then looping the third time and applying the double hitch, the two original loops crossed over each other behind my neck.

This would also explain the X criss cross at the back of the neck as reported in the AR as well (see Illustration 3). The 2 crossed-over loops being BELOW the knot/ligature furrow would also explain the 1-1/2 x 1-1/4 inch group of apparent petechiae in that area, which were a result of the pressure imposed by the 2 stationary loops in the tugboat hitch knot.

Illustration 3: The furrows that would result from a Tugboat Hitch used in hanging IMO
rz-tugboat-hitch_zpsdc4d4cbd.png

Tying the rope OVER RZ’s long hair, rather than directly on her skin, was a clever move as it helped “soften” the continuity of the furrows, thus resulting in irregularities and gaps in the furrows. This scenario fits the wounds as documented in the autopsy report.

Among evidence items the Zahau family is suing Gore and the SD county is the video of the autopsy. Why has the autopsy video been withheld? I would imagine (presume?) the family received autopsy photos of some nature or other. If not, I once again would presume the photos would be included in the evidence law suit. Quite simple to be selective and biased in selecting what to photograph, whereas a video is/should be continuous. Any gaps in the video would be beyond suspect.

I am an experienced rock climber. I can make knots in my sleep. I grew up sailing. I had never seen the Tugboat Hitch before, and even with Cynic's excellent video and online resources, it took me several hours to figure this one out, primarily since i had to keep starting over and adding more and more rope in order to have enough to add the double hitch at the end, and also to leave an additional 6-1/4 inches of rope. The tugboat hitch requires more than double the amount of rope needed to make, for example, a simple hangman's noose.

IMO It is virtually impossible to make a tugboat hitch without a bollard. I tried. Doesn't happen.

IMO the use of a tugboat hitch rather than a simple hangman's noose is an enormous FLY IN THE OINTMENT for the defense. The video of the autopsy, when presented to the jury, will prove unequivocally that RZ did NOT and COULD NOT have inflicted this upon herself.

Carioca, thank you for clarifying and illustrating how the tugboat hitch noose could have been applied to Becky's neck. I had been examining the autopsy illustrations and wondered the same thing about the position of the lower loops in this knot in relation to the ligature marks. It also seemed unrealistic that Becky could have tied this elaborate knot around her own neck. Given the length of the rope, her arms weren't long enough to reach that far.

As you noted, the autopsy video is important here. The autopsy report states the noose was a simple slip knot, then references SDSOs report for further details (which were never provided). IMVHO, the ME was either very inexperienced in identifying noose knots or, possibly, didn't have access to the noose while conducting the autopsy.

Again, thanks for the analysis. More questions to ponder.

BBM

May I ask how you know that Rebecca would not know how to tie those knots?

And a link to that fact so I can read also?

I disagree with those points as narrow and over stated especially since RZ was not an American by birth.

She may have learned the knots as a child in her country of origin.

I think that RZ was an intelligent woman capable of learning and remembering how to tie knots.

Although I disagree they require skill beyond the average person’s ability.

If you are casting an eye at AS I hear you but why would D or N know the knots if it is presumed RZ wouldn’t or couldn’t tie them?

But since AS is an experienced seamen and you say they don’t know this knot then who are you accusing?

p.s. I don’t see that you are a verified insider and you may just be speculating but they are assertive statements conflicting of my general knowledge of people and knots worldwide so curious of your sources.

Bollards are extremely common especially at older areas.

IMO

Hi Jade, and welcome. IMHO, you are right to question those knots and Rebecca's knot tying skills. She frequently boated with Jonah. And the knot's were NOT nautical knots. The wrist and ankle knots were not - they were simple figure eights, and no one has seen the knot used on the noose. A poster here, Cynic, claims to have seen them and has come up with many diagrams (although, as I have pointed out, many are NOT accurate). I have asked for a link to a photo of the noose knot, and to date, none has been supplied. The Medical Examiner was quite clear that none of the knots were "nautical" in nature….simply random tying. Which Rebecca could have easily done.

Hi Jade, and welcome. IMHO, you are right to question those knots and Rebecca's knot tying skills. She frequently boated with Jonah. And the knot's were NOT nautical knots. The wrist and ankle knots were not - they were simple figure eights, and no one has seen the knot used on the noose. A poster here, Cynic, claims to have seen them and has come up with many diagrams (although, as I have pointed out, many are NOT accurate). I have asked for a link to a photo of the noose knot, and to date, none has been supplied. The Medical Examiner was quite clear that none of the knots were "nautical" in nature….simply random tying. Which Rebecca could have easily done.

LuckyLucy2,

1. Do you have any speculation about how and why Rebecca would gag herself with the tee shirt?

2. Do you have any speculation about how there is no dirt on the white carpet in the hanging room?\

3. Do you have any speculation about when in your scenario the would have turned off the light?

4. Do you have any speculation about how RZ hopped to the balcony, closed the door behind her and flipped over the rail while barely touching it?

Yes, I would like to see links.

And, I do not remember any evidence of Dina being at the hospital all night. I do not see any evidence this was a suicide actually.

From Ann Rule's book, page 214, "Numerous witnesses place Dina in the hospital at Max's bedside throughout Tuesday night."

And here are links of those that have committed suicide and tried to make it appear as murder:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...frames-suicide-look-like-possible-murder.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/19/n...ed-suicide-of-long-island-counselor.html?_r=0

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-11-24-census-worker-suicide_N.htm

And it is very popular in crime television:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuicideNotMurder

"Sadly, in Real Life, a lot of suicide is treated as a murder investigation, because it's easier to comprehend a loved one fell victim to a homicide than that person killing him/herself off without his/her vicinity noticing anything."

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeverSuicide

http://www.writing-world.com/mystery/suicide.shtml

http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=270002

LuckyLucy2,

1. Do you have any speculation about how and why Rebecca would gag herself with the tee shirt?

2. Do you have any speculation about how there is no dirt on the white carpet in the hanging room?\

3. Do you have any speculation about when in your scenario the would have turned off the light?

4. Do you have any speculation about how RZ hopped to the balcony, closed the door behind her and flipped over the rail while barely touching it?

1. In order not to bite her tongue while hanging.

2. If she had just taken a shower, she would have picked up dirt off the carpet, not put dirt on the carpet. Do a simple test. Get after your
shower, don't dry your feet and walk on your carpet. Your feet will be dirty, the carpet will not.

3. and 4.

I believe she got the ropes and everything ready,
took her shower,
painted on the door,
closed the door,
turned off the light,
sat in the wicker chair,
put on the noose, t-shirt, and ankle bindings,
held the already looped wrist bindings in her hand,
hopped to the balcony turning over the wicker chair in the process,
put the wrist bindings behind her and slipped her hands in holding the loose piece in her fingers,
did a hop like you are going to sit on something waist-height or so,
her left hip slightly touched as she went over,
and its done.

1. In order not to bite her tongue while hanging.

2. If she had just taken a shower, she would have picked up dirt off the carpet, not put dirt on the carpet. Do a simple test. Get after your
shower, don't dry your feet and walk on your carpet. Your feet will be dirty, the carpet will not.

3. and 4.

I believe she got the ropes and everything ready,
took her shower,
painted on the door,
closed the door,
turned off the light,
sat in the wicker chair,
put on the noose, t-shirt, and ankle bindings,
held the already looped wrist bindings in her hand,
hopped to the balcony turning over the wicker chair in the process,
put the wrist bindings behind her and slipped her hands in holding the loose piece in her fingers,
did a hop like you are going to sit on something waist-height or so,
her left hip slightly touched as she went over,
and its done.

Couple things not accounted for yet...

1. How did she close the balcony doors behind her

2. How did she not leave foot prints on the balcony

From Ann Rule's book, page 214, "Numerous witnesses place Dina in the hospital at Max's bedside throughout Tuesday night."

And here are links of those that have committed suicide and tried to make it appear as murder:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...frames-suicide-look-like-possible-murder.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/19/n...ed-suicide-of-long-island-counselor.html?_r=0

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-11-24-census-worker-suicide_N.htm

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuicideNotMurder

"Sadly, in Real Life, a lot of suicide is treated as a murder investigation, because it's easier to comprehend a loved one fell victim to a homicide than that person killing him/herself off without his/her vicinity noticing anything."

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NeverSuicide

http://www.writing-world.com/mystery/suicide.shtml

http://www.zoklet.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=270002
Thank you LuLu2 for the links you provided on articles about suicides made to look like murder....I read each and everyone, with an open-mind and unbiased heart. (I figured since you went through so much effort, it was the least I should do.) However, I did notice one particular thing about each article: THE DECEASED/VICTIMS WERE ALL MALES.
I have read just as many articles in which LE assumed (or were told) the female victim committed suicide, only to find later it was staged to cover up a murder. (I have posted links to those stories in earlier posts....and don't have the energy to retrieve them all right now.)
Again thank you for your efforts.

Couple things not accounted for yet...

1. How did she close the balcony doors behind her

2. How did she not leave foot prints on the balcony

1. She did not yet have on the wrist bindings, so just closed them after she hopped out.

2. She did. See the attached from the autopsy report:

Screen Shot 2014-08-20 at 4.01.58 PM.png

LuckyLucy2 posted (my comments in blue)

"Officers not elaborate on what they found, but said the items led them to question whether he had been murdered. Detectives later ruled that he had killed himself and planted to items to trick investigators."

I don't see where he framed someone?

"Mr. Minor to help him die and to make it look like a robbery, so his family could collect life insurance."

"He told the person he believed his lymphoma, which he had previously been treated for, had recurred, police said. Sparkman also had recently taken out two accidental life insurance policies totaling $600,000 that would not pay out for suicide, authorities said. One policy was taken out in late 2008; the other in May.

If Sparkman had been killed on the job, his family also would have been be eligible for up to $10,000 in death gratuity payments from the government.

Sparkman's son, Josh, previously told AP that his father had named him as his life insurance beneficiary. Josh Sparkman said earlier this month he found paperwork for the private life insurance policy among his father's personal files but wasn't sure of the amount. Police wouldn't say who the beneficiary was."

Made up stories are not real :thinking:

I agree, made up stories are not real. But we have proved that both scenarios are possible.

I happen to believe the Zahaus have made up an unbelievable story. And it is not real. That is why I believe their civil case will be thrown out of court. Just from reading posts here, there are too many people that question their case and motives. And there are too many facts and too much physical evidence that will prove their case is baseless.

I agree, made up stories are not real. But we have proved that both scenarios are possible.

I happen to believe the Zahaus have made up an unbelievable story. And it is not real. That is why I believe their civil case will be thrown out of court. Just from reading posts here, there are too many people that question their case and motives. And there are too many facts and too much physical evidence that will prove their case is baseless.

You cited 3 cases, two are obvious insurance fraud like said. The third, there doesn't appear to be anyone framed for a homicide and it appears that authorities have not ever revealed why they thought it was suspicious.

I believe the Zahau's story is more realistic than SDSO's story. I hope the truth wins out and all the evidence can be reevaluated and represented in court. If there are facts and physical evidence that will prove this case baseless, I'd like to see them.

You cited 3 cases, two are obvious insurance fraud like said. The third, there doesn't appear to be anyone framed for a homicide and it appears that authorities have not ever revealed why they thought it was suspicious.

I believe the Zahau's story is more realistic than SDSO's story. I hope the truth wins out and all the evidence can be reevaluated and represented in court. If there are facts and physical evidence that will prove this case baseless, I'd like to see them.

In the third story:

"A Kentucky census worker found naked, bound with duct tape and hanging from a tree with "fed" scrawled on his chest killed himself but staged his death to make it look like a homicide, authorities said Tuesday.
Bill Sparkman, 51, was found strangled Sept. 12 with a rope around his neck near a cemetery in a heavily wooded area of the Daniel Boone National Forest in southeastern Kentucky. Authorities said his wrists were loosely bound, his glasses were taped to his head and he was gagged.

Kentucky State Police Capt. Lisa Rudzinski said an analysis found that "fed" was written "from the bottom up." He was touching the ground, and to survive "all Mr. Sparkman had to do at any time was stand up," she said."

No, he did not try to frame a specific person, but tried to make it look like someone who didn't like the "Feds". Notice the wrists were loosely bound, and he was gagged - just like Rebecca Zahau.

I think that a $10 million dollar fraudulent lawsuit is just about equal to insurance fraud.

We obviously disagree on what we believe is realistic. The facts are all out there and SDSO proved it was a suicide. It is your choice not to believe them.

1. She did not yet have on the wrist bindings, so just closed them after she hopped out.

2. She did. See the attached from the autopsy report:

View attachment 57259

What an amazing feat that must have been. To stand absolutely still to create that one set of perfect footprints, reach behind herself (without turning so that the foot prints were a prefect set) close the door, put her hands into the binds and the hop perfectly nimbly onto her toes and leave on those prints as well. Being so small one would think that she would have needed to press her body onto the railing to go over it, but the dust on the balcony sure doesn't show that. Since that doesn't fit the evidence, she would have had to use those toes to really push off to get her body weight over the railing while not at all utilizing the balls of her feet. Superhuman toes I guess?

Not one mark showing her feet dragging or turning, not one mark showing the rope on the balcony, not one mark showing her using anything but her toes to propel herself over the balcony.

Also, those mansion doors must have been pretty drafty if it allowed the rope to pull through them so neatly while closed (and not leave any shards of rope).

ALWAYS MOO

What an amazing feat that must have been. To stand absolutely still to create that one set of perfect footprints, reach behind herself (without turning so that the foot prints were a prefect set) close the door, put her hands into the binds and the hop perfectly nimbly onto her toes and leave on those prints as well. Being so small one would think that she would have needed to press her body onto the railing to go over it, but the dust on the balcony sure doesn't show that. Since that doesn't fit the evidence, she would have had to use those toes to really push off to get her body weight over the railing while not at all utilizing the balls of her feet. Superhuman toes I guess?

Not one mark showing her feet dragging or turning, not one mark showing the rope on the balcony, not one mark showing her using anything but her toes to propel herself over the balcony.

Also, those mansion doors must have been pretty drafty if it allowed the rope to pull through them so neatly while closed (and not leave any shards of rope).

ALWAYS MOO

I don't see where he said they were "perfect" footsteps?

Its not hard to reach behind yourself to close a door. I just went to my door, stood still and reached behind me an closed it. And I was holding something in one hand like Rebecca would have been holding the wrist rope. And I'm not athletic at all, like Rebecca was. It was very, very, very simple and easy.

Rebecca Zahau wasn't that small. 5'3", and the balcony railing was only 35" high. Easy. Her trainer was convinced she could have easily done it, and so am I.

Rebecca doing this seems much more reasonable and logical and doable that having Adam Shacknai toss her off the balcony from the bedroom - like a free throw in a basketball game. Now that is impossible!

Well he didn't say it, but if you want to see a picture, here you go:
s31xm9.jpg

I'm sure you could do it very simply and easy. Did you have a light on? Did you have a rope trailing behind you making the door closing action not smooth? Did you have a noose around your neck, your feet bound and a tee shirt bound three times around your neck? Because, you know, maybe that would make it a little more difficult.

RZ was quite small (not quite 5'3" tall--63.5 inches per her autopsy report) and a scant hundred pounds. Perhaps were you are from that is not small, many consider it to be. I think you may be correct of the railing height but I believe there was also a base on it which would give it a few more inches. I will look around to find something to link regarding that. As for the trainer, well wasn't this the same trainer from the same gym that JS was working out at the morning that poor MS was injured? The same gym that closed quickly and quietly after the deaths in Coronado that summer?

As for AS tossing her over the railing like a basketball, well that doesn't work quite right either. If we take in her size and what his size is reputed to be, it wouldn't be all that difficult for him to hold her limp form over the balcony, touch her feet to the ground a couple of times and send her over, even without exiting the room. That would also lend credence to the fact that her neck injuries were inconsistent with a long drop hanging.

ALWAYS MOO

Lucy, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

I am glad that you acknowledge that both scenarios are possible. The Zahaus have always said they could accept the suicide conclusion if they had answers to their questions. Again...something other than "answers" full of "probably" "likely" "obvious" "investigative work" etc., when we know so many things were not tested, people not polygraphed, people not accounted for, witnesses dismissed. These questions could have been answered and should have been answered.

Jonah Shacknai has done everything in his considerable power to keep this all zipped up, making sure with a catch-22 with police that the Zahaus would not be allowed into Spreckels to do their own investigating and re-enactment. One of the prime pieces of evidence, the door, was painted over almost immediately. He even did a fake sale of the mansion, which I understand to this day he still owns, even after recent news that it again sold. And three years later the Zahaus are still trying to retrieve Rebecca's property from police. Why on earth would this be?

IMO, JS was the one person who tipped the decision to suicide when he stated he made that phone call to Rebecca at 12:30, which has never, ever, ever been accounted for on her phone or his phone. No voicemail, no record of the call. How convenient for him. And the SDSO.

Lets remember that JS had a lot at stake as CEO of Medicis and it would have devastated his company and shareholders with news of a murder at his vacation home. He absolutely had to get it buttoned up, put away, and swept under the rug as quickly as possible so it would no longer be in the top tier of the news cycle. It could have cost him millions. It probably did, but it could have been much worse if Rebecca's death had been called a murder, in my opinion.

IMO the SDSO cherry-picked the physical evidence, cherry-picked testing the physical evidence and ignored some evidence. JS made it impossible for the Zahaus to get their own.

The Zahaus deserve much more than the ambiguities they received from the SDSO. Anyone would for their loved one.

IMHO, the police bent over backward for the Zahaus. The Zahaus seemed cooperative with the SDSO and had nothing bad to say about his family or Dina…until Anne Bremner became involved the 2nd day after Rebecca was found.

I believe the Zahaus don't believe the SDSO because they are either a) still in denial, or b) see a way to make some big cash or c) both. My opinion.

I'm sure you could do it very simply and easy. Did you have a light on? Did you have a rope trailing behind you making the door closing action not smooth? Did you have a noose around your neck, your feet bound and a tee shirt bound three times around your neck? Because, you know, maybe that would make it a little more difficult.

RZ was quite small (not quite 5'3" tall--63.5 inches per her autopsy report) and a scant hundred pounds. Perhaps were you are from that is not small, many consider it to be. I think you may be correct of the railing height but I believe there was also a base on it which would give it a few more inches. I will look around to find something to link regarding that. As for the trainer, well wasn't this the same trainer from the same gym that JS was working out at the morning that poor MS was injured? The same gym that closed quickly and quietly after the deaths in Coronado that summer?

As for AS tossing her over the railing like a basketball, well that doesn't work quite right either. If we take in her size and what his size is reputed to be, it wouldn't be all that difficult for him to hold her limp form over the balcony, touch her feet to the ground a couple of times and send her over, even without exiting the room. That would also lend credence to the fact that her neck injuries were inconsistent with a long drop hanging.

ALWAYS MOO

I did not have a light on. I do not believe the rope or the noose/t-shirt was a problem for Rebecca. Rebecca was very athletic. Extremely athletic. I don't think she had any trouble at all hoping over the railing, even if it had been 10" higher.

I don't believe the closing of the gym had anything to do with Jonah Shacknai. A totally independent business, with several owners, as I recall, that closed within that year, perhaps, but not related.

Why would the trainer feel the need to lie about Rebecca. He spoke freely in the press, the day after her body was found. Highly unlikely that anyone told him what to say. And Jonah Shacknai is not implicated in the Zahau's civil suit, so they obviously do not believe he was involved.

Adam couldn't have held her limp body out on the balcony. Only Rebecca's footprints are there.

The ME thought her neck injuries were very consistent with the way she died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme