GUILTY WV - Riley Crossman, 15, Martinsburg, Morgan County, 7 May 2019 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for a local perspective. It seems shocking to me that this has garnered such little media attention in general.

When you say this is usual, do you mean crimes in general in the area or particularly this defendant and the family?
Not my question, but --
Berkeley Springs reminds of the little town where my cousin lives.
Berkeley Springs population is 602, and my cousin's town of Parkton NC, has a population of 436.

They're both small towns and they try to take care of their own. Many families go 'way back, and they're hard working and they try to keep things simple and safe. The citizens are close, everyone knows everyone, and when something goes wrong -- which is rare -- they come together like a family.
Just my observation and opinion.

The boyfriend of the mother - another one. How many times have we seen this and seen this?
At least there has been an arrest. No wonder this young girl may have been leaving... JMO.
Oh, so sorry. Now the next kind of sorrow and wondering starts. It's an awful road to travel. Now she will be at peace and never be scared or hurt again. And that little town who probably prayed and worried about her so. May they stick together in their sorrow for one of their own.

Andy Jackson McCauley, Jr. 3/12/78

He had two liens against him in 2016 for failure to pay court-imposed assessments. Could those be related to the burglary and assault he was indicted for in 2011 or something more recent?

In 2017, he stole a car. In 2018, a charge of destruction of property was dismissed.

Wood Magistrate

2/10/18: A charge of destruction of property against Andy Jackson McCauley Jr., 39, 925 W. High St., Harrisville, was dismissed because the victim does not want to continue prosecution and the defendant has paid restitution.

On the Record

3/29/17: Andy Jackson McCauley Jr., 39, 925 W. High St., Harrisville, was arraigned in Wood County for Ritchie County on an unlawful taking of a vehicle charge and is in custody in lieu of a $500 cash or surety bond.

Well, nothing close to what's happening now, but it does show that he doesn't appear to be the model citizen. JMHO.

Trying to be victim friendly towards Riley's mother.
(Struggling.)
It's important since she's not being charged and most likely won't be.

Any defense of the mother comes off as playing the devil's advocate.
Obviously.

Might be too harsh , but have become more jaded and realistic since joining WS. :p
>>>>> RSBM <<<<<
bbm
So have I, but we're seeing what's out there -- we're seeing the Real World.
And so much of it is beautiful and amazing and more than a mere human could ever design or produce.
And some of it is from somewhere we'll never understand. IMO.

Being a West Virginian myself, I feel like this case has a lot more going on than what we know. There are so many unanswered questions still, IMO. What about the mother? What was going on in that house? Who all KNEW she was afraid of him? ETC. I am very upset it has just sort of fizzled out in the media and everything. Her story, the whole story, needs to be told because maybe it might help one of these other women to think twice before bringing these sort of men into their kid's lives. It is pretty much ALWAYS the mom's/aunt's/grandmother's boyfriend anymore and it's sickening.
bbm
Excellent post.
Sickening, oh yes, and unlike some other situations it is avoidable. This ~man~ didn't break in the house, tie her up and and take her away.
Just don't let him live in your house until you know more about him. Ask your daughter what she thinks. Cases like this should be more exposed in MSM -- we know it happens because we've seen it happen.
This young girl was scared of him -- a look from him, maybe a wink, a little comment about a cute outfit, her long legs, her cute little behind -- for example. Of course a lot of 14 -- 15 year old girls have cute little bodies, and they're just walking across a room to get a glass of milk or whatever, not trying to make a guy/man sexually excited. He came into her house, not the other way around. Did her mother notice? How can a man like this be more important than your own flesh and blood?

And this,

Welcome to Websleuths,
VRQ112 !!

Not my question, but --
Berkeley Springs reminds of the little town where my cousin lives.
Berkeley Springs population is 602, and my cousin's town of Parkton NC, has a population of 436.

They're both small towns and they try to take care of their own. Many families go 'way back, and they're hard working and they try to keep things simple and safe. The citizens are close, everyone knows everyone, and when something goes wrong -- which is rare -- they come together like a family.
Just my observation and opinion.
Emph. mine

Re. the 2nd bolded portion : Reminds me of Jonathan Minard's case.

And... "Population 436" ?? :rolleyes: Oh my goodness. (like a reference to an under appreciated movie)

The problem with our justice system is that few women are ever charged for bringing a predator into their home around their children.

This perp's "attentions" towards Riley didn't happen in a flash or overnight.

Likely this was an ongoing horror for Riley and mommy dearest just 'didn't notice' --- or maybe encouraged it, to keep her 'man' around ?
Terrible to think about.
But it's happened before.

Only Riley could tell us what happened and she's been silenced forever.

Emph. mine

Re. the 2nd bolded portion : Reminds me of Jonathan Minard's case.

And... "Population 436" ?? :rolleyes: Oh my goodness. (like a reference to an under appreciated movie)

The problem with our justice system is that few women are ever charged for bringing a predator into their home around their children.

This perp's "attentions" towards Riley didn't happen in a flash or overnight.

Likely this was an ongoing horror for Riley and mommy dearest just 'didn't notice' --- or maybe encouraged it, to keep her 'man' around ?
Terrible to think about.
But it's happened before.

Only Riley could tell us what happened and she's been silenced forever.
bbm
Yes, sadly, you've said it correctly. Maybe this BF was helping with the bills (I doubt it); maybe mama was depressed and he came along and made her happy; maybe he fixed things around the house (I doubt it); maybe he had a car and they didn't; maybe he said he had a nicer house where they all could live (I doubt it). So WTH did he have to offer?
I do feel that I would sense at least a little something in the way BF talked to, looked at, smiled at, made little throaty noises at, or complimented Riley on her hair, clothes, figure, smile, etc.
Maybe mama thought it was worth it to have a man around the house; maybe she didn't see anything at all, and didn't notice that Riley was gone more often, or closed her bedroom door more often, or quit taking baths or showers if BF was there.
I don't know if mom and Riley had a good-enough relationship for Riley to tell her mom that she didn't like him and was afraid of him. I don't even know what I would have done.
Oh, what a loss, and what terror this little girl may have endured.
And we see this regardless of median income or net worth, IMO.
IMO, this won't stop until the world stops. :mad:

Seems like the boyfriend is more important than the children. Thinking of Amberly Barnett. I just don’t understand the lure of wanting a criminal record, drug user, no driver’s license man - plus throwing the kids to the wayside to keep a man like AM.

Seems like the boyfriend is more important than the children. Thinking of Amberly Barnett. I just don’t understand the lure of wanting a criminal record, drug user, no driver’s license man - plus throwing the kids to the wayside to keep a man like AM.
Emph. mine

Maybe it wasn't just 'to keep a man like AM...' ?
Maybe he 'supplied' Riley's mom in other ways ?
Any chance she was a user ?

Emph. mine

Maybe it wasn't just 'to keep a man like AM...' ?
Maybe he 'supplied' Riley's mom in other ways ?
Any chance she was a user ?
Hmm, hadn't thought of that angle. Possible. If she was dependent, then she might not have noticed anything not quite right, and little Riley was really all alone and up against it.
Just dammit. Well, he's locked up, and he will surely stay that way.

JMO - no need for AM to provide drugs when there was a much closer source.
Hmmm....

What a horror for Riley and the other children in that house.
No escape.

Eta : If AM starts to 'blab' ... he might have an 'accident' in prison.
So he'll keep his mouth shut and life will go on.
But I'd bet he has dirt on a lot of people.

bbm
Excellent post.
Sickening, oh yes, and unlike some other situations it is avoidable. This ~man~ didn't break in the house, tie her up and and take her away.
Just don't let him live in your house until you know more about him. Ask your daughter what she thinks. Cases like this should be more exposed in MSM -- we know it happens because we've seen it happen.
This young girl was scared of him -- a look from him, maybe a wink, a little comment about a cute outfit, her long legs, her cute little behind -- for example. Of course a lot of 14 -- 15 year old girls have cute little bodies, and they're just walking across a room to get a glass of milk or whatever, not trying to make a guy/man sexually excited. He came into her house, not the other way around. Did her mother notice? How can a man like this be more important than your own flesh and blood?

And this,

Welcome to Websleuths,
VRQ112 !!
Thank you! I am glad to be here! You're absolutely correct, did the mom notice? How is it that these moms seem to never notice until it's too late? There is just absolutely no way they are that blind in almost every single case like this. Red flags had to go up at some point in time. As a mother of 3 girls, it leaves me bewildered. As a woman, I know when a pervert is a pervert. I can not comprehend how you don't see this sort of thing happening inside your home by a man who was clearly a lot of trouble long before Riley's life was taken from her. Didn't the mother know his past? How do you even expose your daughters to a man like this and YES, drag him into THEIR home regardless? Then, ignore signs, which had to be there, that showed her daughter was living in fear and that there is a great possibility that the abuse was already happening for quite some time! It isn't just this case, either. In so many cases, it seems these mothers are just completely incompetent or would rather believe it isn't happening than stop it and throw these men (who are already worthless) out and protect their kids. The moms wouldn't be out much because these are parasitic men, to begin with, AND they would have the huge bonus of keeping their kids safe. She ended up without him, anyhow, and her lovely young daughter who deserved none of this lost her life as well. How do you let it come to this?
I understand we don't know all of the details, and at this rate, we may never know them, but the opportunity to recognize what is happening to your child had to be there, at some point. It doesn't just go from a typical living situation straight to murder. There had to be an escalation of sorts or predatory behavior that clued her in. She has to live with that knowledge, though. Knowing she could have prevented this.
The MSM could help by giving this case and similar ones more publicity and create more awareness. When they do cover them it is only at the beginning for shock value. They need to continue giving the public details so that people can see how insidious this sort of abuse can be. Your average person who does not come to sites like this one, or who only remain on the surface as far as news goes, needs to be able to see how these abusive situations and eventual murders come to be and how it happens a whole lot more than they are seeing, so much more than the MSM is actually covering. It seems like we are losing children left and right and it is seldom the strangers who we were all warned about and look for who is responsible now, it is the very people these children are supposed to be able to trust the most. The situations inside these homes that lead up to these murderous acts must be like living in absolute hell for these kids. Not only do they lose their lives literally, before they have truly even begun, but they have their desire to keep living drained out of them long before they physically die. The feeling of hopelessness they must experience has to be unimaginable. With this happening so often it is clear that many parents are turning a blind eye for some reason and I'd love to figure out how we can help prevent that. What is it that is causing this to happen repeatedly? What information or knowledge are they lacking in order to leave their children so vulnerable? Why are these women, and in some cases men, so negligent about the partners they chose and bring into their kid's homes? Is it some psychological insecurity that tells them since they have kids and other issues in life that they aren't good enough to have a decent s/o who is actually there to help support them and their children? Are they just plain desperate and will allow any man (or woman) to come into their lives as long as they get attention here and there even if that person is there primarily to prey on and groom their children? Are they sacrificing their kids to feel wanted by someone? SIMPLY, HOW AND WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING? It floors me, really.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust
Back