Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without any actual evidence, the only thing I personally find at all suspicious about BL's account is that the amount in the account is supposedly exactly $20K, not $20.1K or $19.9K or some other uneven number. But on the other hand, in an initial inventory most executors/administrators don't have exact figures. There's no way to--- no bank will hand over that info without a letter testamentary.

Others have insisted BL couldn't have any money saved because he never worked. But that's just not true. And he and GP weren't paying rent, and both likely got stimulus payments. So he could have had a "nest egg." NS said she and JP contributed money for the trip--at the beginning AND along the way. I guess it's possible the L's provided trip money and might have given it at any point along the way too. One thing for sure-- the dates money was deposited into that account ARE on record. That info isn't like text messages that may or may not have been retained, depending on the carrier. But I suspect whatever info is there for the bank account the FBI knew about back when BL was still missing.
JMO
on the opposite side of the coin, to be fair, we all only can speculate, with our own opinions, we have never heard Brian or Gabby received stimulus payments, Brian had a nest egg, the Laundries contributed to the trip, or when Brian last worked. I may be wrong? Did we see rent free confirmation as well? Hazy memory here.

Last edited:
Steeltowngirl I just watched it, I feel for Cassie. I personally do not think she knew anything, and jmo she seemed to love Brian and Gabby, and seems her kids did too, so tragic. Jmo
Cassie did present with believable sadness and credibility. Gabby loved her kids and the kids loved Gabby. That is why I’d like to know more about the interaction with BL at DeSoto. Did Cassie not ask him how the trip went? Not ask about Gabby? Perhaps BL’s demeanor that weekend was so out of sorts that she didn’t feel comfortable asking him anything at all.

Cassie did present with believable sadness and credibility. Gabby loved her kids and the kids loved Gabby. That is why I’d like to know more about the interaction with BL at DeSoto. Did Cassie not ask him how the trip went? Not ask about Gabby? Perhaps BL’s demeanor that weekend was so out of sorts that she didn’t feel comfortable asking him anything at all.
I thought about that too, if he seemed out of sorts maybe could it be the usual response was to not ask questions and raise the issue? I have a sibling I would just not ask questions if I thought it would upset them more? Jme.

eta with the awful protester screaming and media intense presence jmo I admired Cassie's momma bear instinct and bravery to come outside and politely ask that they please stop upsetting her children.

on the opposite side of the coin, to be fair, we all only can speculate, with our own opinions, we have never heard Brian or Gabby received stimulus payments, Brian had a nest egg, the Laundries contributed to the trip, or when Brian last worked. I may be wrong? Did we see rent free confirmation as well? Hazy memory here.

Well, there's not been little sworn testimony on anything. You are right about that. Even the FBI report isn't evidence in and of itself. And while WS rules don't allow speculation on GP's cause of death, we've not seen her autopsy report either. So it is possible lots of things we've assumed about both GP and BL aren't true.

I guess it's possible, not at all likely IMO but possible, that somehow G and B didn't get stimulus payments like other people their age in their situations. But stimulus payments to them have been discussed several times here and I don't remember anyone ever suggesting valid reasons they wouldn't have gotten them. Neither had an income high enough to be disqualifying, they weren't children, and for the payments when it mattered, neither the P's or the L's could claim them as dependents because neither was younger than 19, and while both were younger than 24, so far as we know, neither was a full-time college student. (We don't have proof of that either, of course. NS did speak once about GP not going to college though.)

Rose, the one who claims to have been GP's best friend, is the one who has repeatedly said the couple lived rent-free. (She's also the one who provided so many of the details of GP's employment-- like the alleged 50-hr weeks at Taco Bell. I don't believe Taco Bell ever publicly verified that either.) No one has challenged the no-rent claim on GP's behalf, no one in the P family has said they helped pay rent expenses to the L's, but the P's have said they paid to lease the Nissan for the first trip and NS said she gave the couple a chunk of money when they left NY and that both she and JP gave them money while they traveled. Again, not sworn testimony but no real reason to doubt it. While charging adult children rent is perfectly acceptable to many people, as much open hostility as there has been from the P's to the L's, I'm pretty sure if GP had been asked to pay the L's rent that would have been mentioned by now. Instead there have simply been references from the Ps to GP living with the L's.

While opinions may differ, I expect for most people in their 20s, $20K is enough money to be called a "nest egg." So it certainly appears BL had one when he died. Personally I doubt the L's created that account as an "escape account." Not only could it be traced back to them, but BL couldn't have accessed it without being traced either. Not terribly useful for a fugitive. But I can't prove they did not do that. Hard to prove a negative anyway. But if the L's did create the account in early Sept, I'm pretty sure the FBI knew that back in Sept.

The $20K account belonging to BL is one of the few things there has been a sworn statement about. Of course, the initial estate filing simply details what the person believes to be true. Official bank info isn't usually available until after the person qualifies as administrator/executor. It's not unusual for listed account balances to go up or down, for additional accounts to be found and for a listed account to be determined to have been closed out before the person's death.

JMO

Last edited:
Well, there's not been little sworn testimony on anything. You are right about that. Even the FBI report isn't evidence in and of itself. And while WS rules don't allow speculation on GP's cause of death, we've not seen her autopsy report either. So it is possible lots of things we've assumed about both GP and BL aren't true.

I guess it's possible, not at all likely IMO but possible, that somehow G and B didn't get stimulus payments like other people their age in their situations. But stimulus payments to them have been discussed several times here and I don't remember anyone ever suggesting valid reasons they wouldn't have gotten them. Neither had an income high enough to be disqualifying, they weren't children, and for the payments when it mattered, neither the P's or the L's could claim them as dependents because neither was younger than 19, and while both were younger than 24, so far as we know, neither was a full-time college student. (We don't have proof of that either, of course. NS did speak once about GP not going to college though.)

Rose, the one who claims to have been GP's best friend, is the one who has repeatedly said the couple lived rent-free. (She's also the one who provided so many of the details of GP's employment-- like the alleged 50-hr weeks at Taco Bell. I don't believe Taco Bell ever publicly verified that either.) No one has challenged the no-rent claim on GP's behalf, no one in the P family has said they helped pay rent expenses to the L's, but the P's have said they paid to lease the Nissan for the first trip and NS said she gave the couple a chunk of money when they left NY and that both she and JP gave them money while they traveled. Again, not sworn testimony but no real reason to doubt it. While charging adult children rent is perfectly acceptable to many people, as much open hostility as there has been from the P's to the L's, I'm pretty sure if GP had been asked to pay the L's rent that would have been mentioned by now. Instead there have simply been references from the Ps to GP living with the L's.

While opinions may differ, I expect for most people in their 20s, $20K is enough money to be called a "nest egg." So it certainly appears BL had one when he died. Personally I doubt the L's created that account as an "escape account." Not only could it be traced back to them, but BL couldn't have accessed it without being traced either. Not terribly useful for a fugitive. But I can't prove they did not do that. Hard to prove a negative anyway. But if the L's did create the account in early Sept, I'm pretty sure the FBI knew that back in Sept.

The $20K account belonging to BL is one of the few things there has been a sworn statement about. Of course, the initial estate filing simply details what the person believes to be true. Official bank info isn't usually available until after the person qualifies as administrator/executor. It's not unusual for listed account balances to go up or down, for additional accounts to be found and for a listed account to be determined to have been closed out before the person's death.

JMO
Cause of death was strangulation according to the coroner.

Cause of death was strangulation according to the coroner.

That's what the coroner said at the press conference he called. But according to WY law he wasn't supposed to say anything else (although he did decide he could say she wasn't pregnant.) But somewhere later the blunt force trauma aspect was more emphasized (maybe when he appeared on talk shows later that day/week?) My point wasn't to question her COD but to point out how few official details we really know from that autopsy. In contrast FL law allowed the release of a huge amount of information about BL's autopsy. Pictures were redacted per FL law but not much else. So when we talk about actual "evidence," it's kind of sparse and uneven.
JMO

Snipped by me, bolded by me

Yes, what I meant, and was obviously not clear about in my reply. Few facts other than causes of death, and who killed Gabby imo. Been following this tragic case since day 1 of it hitting the media as many others here have been.

Last edited:
@DFWNF,

Because you put your comment in the text box quoting my post, I can't reply to you (I guess the WS software thinks I'm trying to reply to myself.)

At any rate, I've been following the case too & agree we have few known facts. So for myself, I tend to want to see evidence X happened before assuming Person Y did something wrong. For example, according the estate filing that initially was public, BL had a bank account with about $20K in it. Could the L's have set that up for an "escape" acct? That would have been a dumb thing to do & not useful for someone on the lam but it could have happened, I guess. But without any evidence that's what happened, the simpler explanation is that it was BL's money. Maybe it was partly from a family inheritance, maybe partly from jobs, maybe partly from the same stimulus payments everybody else his age in his situation in the US got. I don't know. But I'd need to see evidence to decide the L's created/funded that acct in late Aug/early Sept.

As for there already being a request by the L's to split the money in BL's estate (as you mentioned before), I don't see how that could have happened. The L's merely applied to be named administrators for the estate but haven't been named probably due to NS's objections (most likely because she intended to bring a lawsuit against the estate and now has. We can't see the content of the motions but we can see the titles that say things like "Nicole Schmidt's objection to...") There would not have been an opportunity for the L's to file anything related to a final distribution. In the normal course of events, with no suit against the estate, after expenses and debts are paid, all holdings would go to any living parent(s) anyway since there wasn't a Will. That's not controversial & that is the law.
JMO

NCWatcher I am still working out how to quote, bold, etc properly.

From your post:

"So for myself, I tend to want to see evidence X happened before assuming Person Y did something wrong. "

My reply: me too

Your post:

"But without any evidence that's what happened, the simpler explanation is that it was BL's money."

My reply: I don't share that opinion, maybe that info will come out some day.

Your post:

"But I'd need to see evidence to decide the L's created/funded that acct in late Aug/early Sept. "

My reply: As noted I am interested in learning when the money went in that account

Your post:

"As for there already being a request by the L's to split the money in BL's estate (as you mentioned before), I don't see how that could have happened. "

My reply: I think I posted I may have misrembered, in any case, if anyone has a link to the document I would appreciate being able to read it again

Thanks.

@DFWNF,

Because you put your comment in the text box quoting my post, I can't reply to you (I guess the WS software thinks I'm trying to reply to myself.)

At any rate, I've been following the case too & agree we have few known facts. So for myself, I tend to want to see evidence X happened before assuming Person Y did something wrong. For example, according the estate filing that initially was public, BL had a bank account with about $20K in it. Could the L's have set that up for an "escape" acct? That would have been a dumb thing to do & not useful for someone on the lam but it could have happened, I guess. But without any evidence that's what happened, the simpler explanation is that it was BL's money. Maybe it was partly from a family inheritance, maybe partly from jobs, maybe partly from the same stimulus payments everybody else his age in his situation in the US got. I don't know. But I'd need to see evidence to decide the L's created/funded that acct in late Aug/early Sept.

As for there already being a request by the L's to split the money in BL's estate (as you mentioned before), I don't see how that could have happened. The L's merely applied to be named administrators for the estate but haven't been named probably due to NS's objections (most likely because she intended to bring a lawsuit against the estate and now has. We can't see the content of the motions but we can see the titles that say things like "Nicole Schmidt's objection to...") There would not have been an opportunity for the L's to file anything related to a final distribution. In the normal course of events, with no suit against the estate, after expenses and debts are paid, all holdings would go to any living parent(s) anyway since there wasn't a Will. That's not controversial & that is the law.
JMO
<modsnip>

@ABC7Jeff

NEW: The family of #BrianLaundrie is telling North Port Police Brian drove a mustang to Carlton Reserve earlier this week. The family says they picked up the mustang from the park. The mustang is *not* registered to Brian, per North Port PD.

1:30 PM · Sep 19, 2021

Last edited by a moderator:

JMO
BBM
"And while WS rules don't allow speculation on GP's cause of death, we've not seen her autopsy report either."

We don't need to speculate on her cause death. The cause is officially listed as manual strangulation/throttling.

BBM
"And while WS rules don't allow speculation on GP's cause of death, we've not seen her autopsy report either."

We don't need to speculate on her cause death. The cause is officially listed as manual strangulation/throttling.
As I said I was not questioning her cause of death. But there certainly has been alot of discussion (on WS and other places) about aspects of BL's death even though we know the officially listed cause there too. So there are things to discuss.

I did watch the coroner's press conference and I heard him say what you said in your post. But later on it seemed the coroner discussed blunt force trauma too. And the FBI report notes:

The Teton County Coroner’s Office subsequently concluded Ms. Petito died of “blunt-force injuries to the head and neck, with manual strangulation.”

FBI Denver Provides Final Investigative Update on Gabrielle Petito Case | Federal Bureau of Investigation

Because we have not seen the autopsy report, we do not know whether those blunt force injuries would be consistent with BL's note. I am not suggesting consistency would excuse what happened. But I would like to know. Perhaps others wouldn't.
JMO

The money was to be split between BL's parents because he apparently died intestate (no will), and therefore the money would be evenly split between his closest kin (his parents).

The autopsy report has never been released. The cause of death has, but we don't know why the coroner felt this was the cause of death. There is also a component of "blunt force trauma" which could be anything from a punch to the head, the head hit by a rock, the head pounded against a rock, to being hit by a train (obviously not a cause here). I would find it interesting to compare the various confessions BL apparently made (only one of which was made public) with detailed autopsy findings.

Not sure what you mean by a request to split the money. I never saw any mention of that except that both applied to be joint administrators, something I did not find unusual. I'll search but do you happen to have a link?
Finally found what I was looking for. The Laundrie's Petition for Summary Administration, filed Dec 8/2021, proposed 1/2 of all the assets including exempt property be distributed to RL, and 1/2 be distributed to CL.

Finally found what I was looking for. The Laundrie's Petition for Summary Administration, filed Dec 8/2021, proposed 1/2 of all the assets including exempt property be distributed to RL, and 1/2 be distributed to CL.

Thanks. I wasn't doubting whatever property BL left would be split evenly between his parents (in the absence of a lawsuit) since he died intestate. But I couldn't see how that request could have been made so early before the L's qualified as administrators. I'm not doubting you, but do you have a link for what you found? TIA

Thanks. I wasn't doubting whatever property BL left would be split evenly between his parents (in the absence of a lawsuit) since he died intestate. But I couldn't see how that request could have been made so early before the L's qualified as administrators. I'm not doubting you, but do you have a link for what you found? TIA

My reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member