Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is verifiable evidence that the van returned on 9/1 at about 10:30 at night. But the verification was done by passing through a toll booth and picture of the vehicle and lic plate, but there was no indication there was any picture of who was driving the vehicle. I don't believe there were any sources that related anyone actually seeing BL in FL since 9/1.

10:30am not pm

What exactly should they have done? Forced their way into the home after the parents refused them entry? I genuinely want to know what people expected them to do of someone they had zero proof had committed a crime.
For one thing, maybe DON'T say, in public, repeatedly, that you "know exactly where he is" when you only have his parents' word for it. Creating a false sense of trust and security in the community by lying, in my opinion, was very much the wrong way to go. And the unprofessional outbursts of defensiveness are not helping this impression, not one bit.

Wyoming has another offense called "careless driving." 1. A person can be convicted of careless for driving in a way that is without the "due and diligent care normally exercised by a reasonably prudent person," and
2. creates an unreasonable risk of harm to other persons or property.
Penalty:
  • First offense. A first careless driving violation carries up to 20 days in jail and/or a maximum of $200 in fines.
Speeding, hitting curve, not noticing an officer trying to pull you over, locking the owner out of the van, and driving off without her so that she has to enter through the window and across the driver.
I think this could qualify.

Wyoming's Reckless and Careless Driving Laws and Penalties

Many suggestions have now been made about what else could be done.

Why weren't the officers working to be relatable to Gabby as well?

They were trying to de-escalate only, having determined that this was just a volatile young couple including a dramatic, draining girl and her boyfriend who lost patience with her but was doing the best he could given "crazy chick"...that is the only explanation for ignoring the following in the context of a physical, violent interaction reported and witnessed by several people including LE:
  • Both of them have visible scratches and redness. red flag
  • Both admit to having put hands on the other. red flag
  • He downplays what he did even while admitting it red flag
  • She throws herself under the bus - not just for the physical violence, but also how it was her fault that he got mad at her. [clear sign of warped thinking, and not contradicted by him, confirming a strange dynamic] red flag
  • She was seen hanging out of the van window (or whatever - that he locked her out). (iirc) red flag
  • She stated she was scared he was going to drive off without her. red flag
  • Based on general knowledge about reasonable safety concerns for a young woman (a small one, too, clearly not from there), you know that it is reasonable to be afraid of being left alone in that position. And as above, he has already locked her out/threatened to leave her behind. So this is a guy who has deliberately behaved in a way to frighten his girlfriend, both emotionally and physically. From this, you are looking at a guy who would choose to make his girlfriend afraid for her safety. red flag
  • He drove very fast in a place he didn't know, while having a physical fight. (dangerous behavior) red flag

But LE decided to ignore all of those flags, as well as basic information about domestic violence, including common behaviors of abusers and victims.

LE approaches to DV can make a huge difference. If this were a couple residing in a town, historical police records that are accurate can support arrest/incarceration, ideally before a death. Better and more intense support and encouragement could be offered to victims, especially repeat victims. Sussing the real story and offering support to the real victim can be enough to prompt a victim to leave/seek help. Time in jail for an abuser can flip on a lightbulb about how far the relationship has fallen away from normal or healthy.

I don't want my LE to shrug their shoulders when it comes to violence, especially the kind of violence that, more than any other kind, thrives behind closed doors. It requires a harder look.
EXCELLENT list. Add to it that the 911 caller and eye witness said clearly that Laundrie was slapping and hitting Petito. That should have been a red flag as well. It was ignored and actually turned around on the girl.

Did you watch it? Both Gabby and BL said he left marks on her. She said her face still hurt. She showed the officer how BL jammed her head back by pushing the chin and smashing her face with his fingers. She showed him wounds/marks whatever you want to call them. What you say is just not true, and we've posted on this over and over on the thread.

I stated they BOTH were physical during the fight. I did not take a side. And yes, I watched the video without attaching any personal emotion to it. I watched it from a purely factual perspective. No one has the right to hit, scratch, punch, slap another human being.. not a man or a woman, neither one has that right.

Please forgive if this has already been posted.

Considering the timeline, I think it indicates she may have been dead by the end of the 27th.

According to the search warrant timeline, Petito’s mother, Nichole Schmidt, had received a text message from her on Aug. 27, that read “Can you help Stan, I just keep getting his voicemeails and missed calls.” Stan is reportedly Petito’s grandfather. According to Schmidt, Petito never calls him Stan, and the strange message made her “concerned that someone was wrong with her daughter,” according to the warrant. It was the last message that Schmidt got from her daughter.

Gabby Petito investigation: North Port police search warrant provides new details | WFLA

Wyoming has another offense called "careless driving." 1. A person can be convicted of careless for driving in a way that is without the "due and diligent care normally exercised by a reasonably prudent person," and
Penalty:
  • First offense. A first careless driving violation carries up to 20 days in jail and/or a maximum of $200 in fines.
Speeding, hitting curve, not noticing an officer trying to pull you over, locking the owner out of the van, and driving off without her so that she has to enter through the window and across the driver.

Didn't that all happen in Utah?

I’m interested that the Laundrie parents’ lawyer has done a good job about advising everyone to stay silent but then the Lawyer himself schedules a press conference. I know we have some lawyers here, I’m curious if you agree with this move? It may be hard to speculate without knowing what the lawyer has to say but I have to admit that while I very much dislike the silence, it’s effective. If the lawyer wants to arrange a time to discuss the possibility of BL turning himself in to LE (just speculation) or comment on the case, it seems like those comments would best serve everyone if he directed them to the appropriate LE? I understand the press want answers, but they’re not really entitled to answers. I don’t agree with the moves of BL or his parents but I would think that in such a frenzied case, fewer words would be best in a court of law if it comes to that. I’m surprised at this move by the lawyer and curious what others make of this. All above is JMO.
I'm not sure that attorney represents BL. I think it's possible the parents retained him because they own the house. JMO

I have no doubt they will catch BL, probably soon. I remember a tv show called Hunted where the goal was for the “fugitive” contestants to try to outrun the FBI for a few weeks for a prize. I was amazed at the tactics they used and the resources they were able to use. And that was about five years ago so I’m sure they have even more now. I’m also sure they didn’t reveal all the tools they have available to them in the show. Im always amazed at the little details they know in cases that end up being a big deal.

Well I'm not really looking into it for a deeper message. I'm pointing out that yesterday the playlist had a title, now it does not have a title. I'm not sure what would cause the change other than the creator or Spotify changing the playlist title.

THAT could be really significant. It might indicate that BL was online since the "consumption" title was there - not in a swamp somewhere. Do you know when the title disappeared?

Penalty:

Except.....they were pulled over in Utah, not WYoming.

They had a 911 caller who said he was hitting her. I am not sure how much detail they included in the BOLO. Could have just said a DV incident and didn't say who was hitting who. I don't know if the 911 caller ever gave a statement to a cop. They did have a witness statement from "Christopher" who said he didn't see him hit her.
That is correct. You do not know like we don't but she is dead, he lived to drive her van back to Florida. That LE behaved very very unprofessionally IMO.

I keep reading about the Spotify account. I can't imagine with it has to do with anything. Why does it matter?
I'm genuinely baffled why people think its meaningful.

Because a new playlist was created on their shared profile on 8/30 titled "self consumption". Feels relevant in that it would potentially be during the time BL was returning to Florida.

On Sept. 14, police executed a search warrant for the van that she and Laundrie had traveled in.

Inside the vehicle, crime scene technicians found the external hard drive at the center of the Sept. 15 search warrant. Police believe the storage device might have “viable digital forensic data” on it that could help them in their investigation.

….

Additionally, the warrant gives police access to any digital documents, notes, passwords, encryptions or data security devices which might keep them from accessing the hardware, software, or data on the devices, as well as all data and files associated with the external device.

Gabby Petito investigation: North Port police search warrant provides new details | WFLA

In that case it won't be encrypted either (atleast strongly) or they wouldn't be saying that. So that's good news.

This may be a silly question, but maybe you or someone familiar with the area might know. From where the van was spotted and Gabby’s body found, would Brian have been able to physically cross the Snake River at any point in order to get to where we was supposedly picked up by the TikToker?

Probably not. It's a big fast-running river, though late in the summer the water gets very low and there may be places you could ford it. I'm not sure about how many bridges there are, or if there are any pedestrian bridges for hikers. There are ferries that take hikers across Jenny Lake and Jackson Lake (or at least used to be).

Here's an article with information about the ferries and water levels and such. Most relevant quote: "Menor’s Ferry was vital in providing safe transport for passengers over the swift-flowing Snake River before construction of a bridge. Before the ferry’s existence the Snake River was essentially impassable from Wilson to Moran except during low-water periods in the fall and winter."

Menor's Ferry begins Snake-crossing rides today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members