Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #28

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moo....
Once LE cleared the crime scene, removed any evident the scene would be open to the public.

I can see LE creating the cross. They knew her dad would be one of the first to view the area. I think this was an act of kindness and compassion.

When a body is removed, the ground is cleared, sometimes digging down several feet to insure all evident, human remains are removed. Given the area, I don't think LE would be able to hide the crime scene. Out of respect for Gabby and her family they created a marker for all to grieve.

When the Hedrick plane crashed in my area, local rescue teams created a makeshift cross within days. Family members were in regular attendance at the recovery site and openly expressed gratitude for the cross. The rescue team dug several feet into the mountain to insure the most minut piece of human remain, plane debris was removed. The area is secured by a 20ft foot fence and a very large cross made my the Hedricks team members with all the names inscribed.

This is sacred ground, as should be Gabbys site.

I am thankful for the kindness of all involved with Gabbys recovery.

All my opinion....
Yes, I think showing respect for Gabby's family and memorializing her life, outweighs the "Leave No Trace" rule.

I believe the $200-to-hitch-a-ride and stomping in and out of a restaurant like a toddler stories about as much as the spun out pregnancy tales… which is to say, not at all.

/JMO

I have no idea about the hitchhiking story, but the restaurant has corroborated the story of the altercation that took place there.

I have no way to do it.. just have my phone and no computer. But that is a good idea!
I think on my phone there is an app that could do that - but you would have to have the map of the same area to fit them each just right. If you had an identifiable piece on each to refer to maybe....I think the app I have used before is called "over" (no pun intended but lets hope it is!)

I definitely don’t think STAN was a code. It makes no sense given the circumstances that her mother reported.

I had no idea it was an acronym for anything. It’s also her grandfather’s name. It’s not a code.

I know it was her grandfather's name...I have two theories:
1.) Brian didn't like STAN calling he didn't know it was her grandfather and got jealous, and angry so texted the mom, pretending to be Gabby and to get Stan from texting, calling non-stop, so Brian had her phone on August 27th, or...
2.) Gabby texted it and was signaling something was off or wrong without spelling out help. (I'm reaching here, but it stands out as very off for her to text.)
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
BBM. I’ve more or less been leaning toward him being in there — possibly deceased from suicide— because the FBI is extremely intent on days of heavy-duty searches with all sorts of technology.

The only thing which confuses me is the information yesterday from the neighbors who said the Laundries had stocked up the camper and left with BL for 3 days — making it sound as though they’d left him somewhere with provisions, so he could be on the run. Your thoughts? And yours, @MassGuy ?
I am not 100% convinced of anything at this point, but I am leaning heavily in the opposite direction. I think BL may have gone to the Reserve initially, left some clues there, and then went somewhere else to hide. You make a good point about the tech and manpower heavy searches. But the swampy Reserve is pretty inhospitable and you have to ask yourself why BL's parents waited 3 days to report him missing, and why they took the car if they believed he was in there and alive. The car would have provided shelter at night. And I just don't get why the Reserve would be the place he'd commit suicide. If I knew what the dogs had picked up or what the searches have yielded so far, I might be inclined to change my opinion, but for right now, I am 80/20 that he's not there. MOO

Last edited:
Personally, I think they have a team looking for him elsewhere but not telling anyone publicly.

I think this dive team is looking for the murder weapon in there.

BL dumped it and then was picked up and god only knows where now. But I think this is a show for the media, and to find the weapon and they are onto BL elsewhere. JMO

I was thinking this same thing. It is an interesting theory and hopefully if he is not there he is over confident about his hiding place. Hoping they zone in on him soon.

I believe the $200-to-hitch-a-ride and stomping in and out of a restaurant like a toddler stories about as much as the spun out pregnancy tales… which is to say, not at all.

/JMO

The restaurant story has been substantiated by the manager. They aren't commenting further because it's an active investigation.

The Frazee family did the same when Kelsey disappeared. I think there's this new trend to not even try to hide or pretend that everything is okay. I think these people just play the wait it out game.

I agree it is a disturbing trend. Didn't Chris Watt's and Scott Peterson's mom do the same thing?
I guess teaching their sons to be decent humans wasn't on their list of life's goals.

This sounds like a good thing coming out of something so bad.

I know some have been hard on the LE stop video and what went down in it. I too had a hard time with it knowing what I know from my own life experiences.

However I also have a heart and feel all involved in that stop are heartbroken that they didn't have enough information to do something different. That they did the best job they could do with the information they did have.

I hope they are all coping with this emotionally/mentally and are receiving any help they can get if they are struggling with this outcome.

If this is any indication of something good coming out of this, then bless their hearts. I hope this becomes a national campaign for all first responder's who come into DV situations and are better able to handle and cope with these highly volatile situations in the future.

I haven't weighed in at all on the stop but I am glad they are taking a look at this. I think there needs to be some legislative answer to a situation like this that is less than charging the abused party with DV. I know in retrospect we just look at the chance to save Gabby's life, but the officers were likely also weighing the consequences to Gabby of a DV arrest. It can have life-long consequences. It would come up in every background check going forward even if charges were dismissed. If you are trying to help people leave abusive relationships, the answer can't be an option that results in diminished job prospects. You want the abused party to be able to be financially independent from the abuser. A DV arrest can also prevent you from serving as a foster parent, adopting, and other activities that require a background check. So I feel for the officers who may not have thought saddling Gabby with that would be helpful in the long run.

There has to be a better way to address these situations going forward and I'm glad they are investigating.

Yeah, I don't agree with that about Eminem. His last album in Jan 2020 debuted at number one, so.....

Eminem became the first artist to have ten consecutive number-one albums in the US.
JMO I think it’s waaaay more likely BL slipped up when texting Gabby’s mom than it is that “Stan” was a code word.

But why did they skip Monday? Is it because so many resources were needed with the search warrant? This puzzles me.
If I am not mistaken they skipped Monday and then went to the Venice side on Tuesday up to today. I tend to think they have some intel because I don't see this much manpower solely on his folks word.

We don’t have confirmed footage of the specific area of the creek cross do we?
If I remember correctly, the footage covered a large area where the body was found. There are no trees around the bigger cross to hide it from view. Even if it wasn't filmed, I would think anyone flying over the area would have spotted it.

I was thinking this same thing. It is an interesting theory and hopefully if he is not there he is over confident about his hiding place. Hoping they zone in on him soon.

The restaurant story has been substantiated by the manager. They aren't commenting further because it's an active investigation.

They said they did remember. But with no video, photos or paper trail, we don't know if it's mistaken identity. There are quite a view travel/van-life bloggers and social media influencers who look a lot like this couple.

/JMO
I totally believe them. The restaurant one has at least three, up to five, witnesses, including the restaurant saying that they were there. They almost certainly have a receipt with GP or BL's names on it. I would be willing to bet quite a bit of $ that we will see evidence at trial or hear from several credible witnesses about the incident. If it goes to trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RabbitB