Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, someone way back brought up a theory about BLs parents dropping him at a residential psych facility. I'm actually coming around to that being a plausible scenario because HIPPA and confidentiality, mentions of his "episodes," and the defense aspect. (NOT saying this is my working theory, but I now see it as a plausible scenario, depending on the answer to this question).
Can anyone actually confirm what responsibility a residential treatment centre would have in this situation? I know the basics of psych ethics and confidentiality as well as HIPPA, but at what point would they need to report his presence in care, if at all? I need to go do my psych homework instead of googling this forever. TIA!

From this link: https://community.corporatecomplian...tFileKey=129e6da4-7a3d-4a20-a4d9-356a729356cd

"Answer: Yes. HIPAA allows a hospital on its own initiative to disclose protected health information to law enforcement as necessary for law enforcement to identify or apprehend an individual who has escaped from a correctional institution or from lawful custody."

Is there a scenario where BL's parents were hood-winked by him? If you think so, what is your theory?
If he told them when he came back with the hitchhikers on the 29th he found Gabby already dead?

ETA: Not hitchhikers when he hitchhiked :face palm:

Last edited:
quoting from the last thread: "fhttps://mobile.twitter.com/kxly4news/status/1441190731847249924

4 News Now
@kxly4news

GABBY PETITO: According to the indictment, Laundrie used a debit card and PIN number for accounts that did not belong to him for charges over $1,000 between the dates of Aug. 30 and Sept. 1. "

what was he buying? weapons? gift cards? just me guessing...

IMO, cash withdrawals and multiple gas purchases to fill extra gas cans. He knew her card could eventually be frozen.

I would think if you were seeking help for your grandpa you include what type of help was needed. I am not sure if the weird text meant grandpa was leaving voicemails and was the source of missed calls to Gabby's phone. Or, did the text mean that Gabbie was supposedly leaving voicemails and calling? Any thoughts?

There was a comment in the last thread about how Gabby has sparked a well needed conversation about DV across the nation. I just wanted to add (couldn’t before it closed lol) that I have friends with kids in Middle School who this week are discussing this case, the facts coming out and both DV & how to help if you’re a bystander who sees these things. So this isn’t just a National discussion among adults or groups who raise awareness for the general public. Her loss is driving discussions for younger crowds where we could make a big difference in the future of DV, how it’s seen and how it’s dealt with. It’s hurts my heart that it wasn’t there for her to see and help her get out, but it makes me hope that it gives her family some peace. I hope they see that who she was has drawn many others to her case and that had a domino effect resulting in amazing impact that we’re only beginning to witness.

Boyfriend of slain Gabby Petito charged with bank card fraud

Gabby Petito story boosted by social media, true-crime craze
800.jpeg

A federal grand jury indictment filed in U.S. District Court in Wyoming alleges Brian Laundrie used a Capital One Bank card and someone's personal identification number to make unauthorized withdrawals or charges worth more than $1,000 during the period in which Petito went missing. It does not say who the card belonged to.

And a couple who document their bus travels on YouTube said they went through some of their video footage from near Grand Teton and spotted what they said was the couple’s white van. They posted an image of it with a big red arrow pointing to it and the words, “We found Gabby Petito’s van.” They said that was what led investigators to the area where the body was found.

Last edited:
I would definitely say that if seriously NO ONE, not even your wife, knows your whereabouts for days on end, that is quite unique!
My 22 year old special needs son, who is non-verbal and operates intellectually at an 18 month to 2 year old level, and I do day and multi-day long car trips together because he loves them. Its why I am going to buy a camper van soon. He wouldn't make a very good witness.

From this link: https://community.corporatecomplian...tFileKey=129e6da4-7a3d-4a20-a4d9-356a729356cd

"Answer: Yes. HIPAA allows a hospital on its own initiative to disclose protected health information to law enforcement as necessary for law enforcement to identify or apprehend an individual who has escaped from a correctional institution or from lawful custody."

"Lawful custody?" That would apply even though he's never been taken into custody?

I'm guessing the spirit of the law would say "yes". moo

Is there a scenario where BL's parents were hood-winked by him? If you think so, what is your theory?
I think that’s possible but only up until they receive the texts, phone calls from Gabby’s parents trying to find her. The refusal to answer their communications makes me suspicious of what they knew

Interesting info from a former coworker of Brian:

In conversation about hiking … Brian talked about the longest time that he spent in the woods was 6 weeks and bragged about only having a large pack of either cheese or peanut butter crackers to sustain him for that time,” the source told The Post in a text.

He is well versed in spending a long time in the woods and living off nearly nothing,” they said.

A friend of Ms Petito’s also warned that Mr Laundrie had well-honed solo survival skills, in a separate Daily Mail report:

“I know he lived in the Appalachians for what I believe was three months, and he did it by himself, so I know he’s skilled at it,” she said. “He and Gabby both told me stories about it,” Ms Davis added. “And you could see the enthusiasm in his voice when he would talk about his adventures by himself like that trip into the Appalachians.”

Brian Laundrie ‘skilled’ in wilderness survival, say sources

I might believe it if someone witnessed his abilities (such as someone who camped or hiked with him) but I don't believe anything that he has said. Sounds like a loser making up stories to try to impress someone.

Interesting info from a former coworker of Brian:

In conversation about hiking … Brian talked about the longest time that he spent in the woods was 6 weeks and bragged about only having a large pack of either cheese or peanut butter crackers to sustain him for that time,” the source told The Post in a text.

He is well versed in spending a long time in the woods and living off nearly nothing,” they said.

A friend of Ms Petito’s also warned that Mr Laundrie had well-honed solo survival skills, in a separate Daily Mail report:

“I know he lived in the Appalachians for what I believe was three months, and he did it by himself, so I know he’s skilled at it,” she said. “He and Gabby both told me stories about it,” Ms Davis added. “And you could see the enthusiasm in his voice when he would talk about his adventures by himself like that trip into the Appalachians.”

Brian Laundrie ‘skilled’ in wilderness survival, say sources
betcha he just went for a weekend with the boy scouts when he was nine and has been regaling everybody with the tales of Enid Blyton ever since...

Quoting from the last thread :

Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #30 | Page 47

Something I have learned from this website is that if I am even remotely accused of a heinous crime I am running for the hills immediately.

I use my wife's credit card quite often (and she uses mine)
I drive her car quite often and other peoples cars as well.
My search history alone might get me accused of a dozen more crimes.
There are times when no one knows my whereabouts for days.
I've hiked the Appalachian Trail, which itself seems to be an indicator of some sort of criminality.
I've written horror and crime stories. (I'm not much of an artist so I have that no dark art thing going for me)

Just about everything that people are using to sleuth ill intent will make me look bad.
The only difference is that Gabby is deceased by a homicide, BL was driving a car without permission after the owner had passed, and to be honest -- no one said hiking the trail is indicative of criminality.
No one was sleuthing ill intent until Brian was declared a poi , and after it was official that Gabby passed from homicide.

Add grand theft to that, and yes people will sleuth this man to find out where he is hiding and if he's had help ?

People were sleuthing to find Gabby and if she had gone off with a different party and neglected to inform her loved ones.
Her parent's demeanor at the presser left me with no doubt we were looking at a criminal scenario.

The purpose of WS is to sleuth and post theories, and it brings us together --- those who have a common sympathy and most of all compassion for the innocent victims.
Gabby was a bright light that did not deserve the hand she was dealt by an unspeakable perp.

It helps to understand the goal of this site, and why we are all posting and sleuthing for the truth.
Imo.

Eta : Edited for relevance to this particular case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member