Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to say, and someone might have already (hard to keep up) but I don't think you can ever "authorize" someone to use your pin for a debit or credit card. I'm from Canada so maybe the laws are different but I am pretty sure sharing your pin with another party is not allowed up here. Now I am not certain it is "the law" but it definitely violates the terms of service for the card here. I do think it is illegal as well, but I could be wrong. Just my thoughts.

That's very interesting. When my mom broke her back last December, she handed me all her cards and PINs and had me get groceries or whatever she needed. After that I switched to Instacart and GrubHub, etc.

I'm curious to know what the "> $1000" actually represents. I'm guessing he cleaned out the account, bought gas and snacks, etc.
Snipped for focused reply...
Or paid someone to secret him off somewhere via fishing boat, or?

Amateur opinion and speculation

Based on the Benton, IL purchases I think that BL would've taken the I-80/I-75 route back to Florida. It's the first option on Google Maps and if someone just wants to get out of Dodge, it's probably the quickest. It goes just north of Benton. Of course, he could've modified this route. Excuse my scribbling and note that the construction markers most likely will be inaccurate for an 8/30/2021 trip.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 10.05.55 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 10.05.55 AM.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 21
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 10.06.24 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-24 at 10.06.24 AM.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 26
Hmmmm. Interesting. Someone else presented that alive or dead one cannot allow use of your PIN at all. Taken at their word.

I agree with this. Authorized use has to come from the issuing bank, not word of mouth from the cardholder. I know it happens all of the time, but allowing someone else to use your debit card doesn't constitute authorized use, unless you have contacted your issuing bank and formally requested that someone be added to your account, in which case the bank will most likely issue a separate card for that person, with their own PIN.

I agree with this, for sure. I wondered about the smell and discovery by dogs...many folks camp with their pooches and it was hot enough, often those scents travel.....
That is what would cause her to be found at some point. Very distinct smell.

What if…and this is unlikely but I wanted to throw this out there. The cards used were both Gabby and maybe Gabby’s parents let them use on of here and BL had access to that too. Or…even less likely it was Brian’s parents card and they helped file the charges against BL for illegal use.

Yeah is homicide, but they haven't established (publically) how she died. Homicide is that she didn't take her life, or it was not an accident. It doesn't establish how. I assume they know and just not saying.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they know. Not releasing a detail to the public is very different than not establishing something. They are more than likely withholding it on purpose so as not to jeopardise their investigation. They want to be able to compare what the suspect tells them versus the facts they have discovered.That is what they often do in murder cases, keeping certain details under wraps until trial. No doubt they will make those facts public at the appropriate time. In front of a jury, for example.

This isn't the indictment for murder. This was how they got an arrest warrant in one day.

I am sure they are presenting a murder case to the grand jury as we speak outlining how their phones traveled together and were present at the crime scene. Going over the forensic evidence and interviews with the other campers at the campsite. How Gabby's phone turned off around 9/1 and was never turned back on again. What they found on BL's electronics devices. How he refused to speak to LE, help in the search for Gabby, and then disappeared.

I don't see how you can infer there's no evidence for murder based on an indictment for a completely separate crime.

Ok im just going to stop this debate. My original comment was a reply to a comment that in their opinion the credit card was damning enough for murder. Just going in circles at this point. I thank you for you replies and clarification, but at this point we agree so no need to clog up the forum any further

Totally get that it’s a crime and punishable offense, but let’s say (hypothetically) there is a steady history of proof he made payments to the account (credit card) via his own bank account and/or had proof of cash or check deposits to her bank account(s) in question… would the argument of a shared account/funds hold up in court then?
That does not matter. Once it is in her bank account, he has no authority to use her card.

Anthony Rickman (Defense Attorney) was on Live Fox Now discussing indictment and “suspect” vs POI. He’s got some great insight into the IMO… a good watch. Video isn’t uploaded yet on Fox. Will upload once it’s available.

What’s a Depop account?? Forgive me, I’m old lol not up on the young kids sites lol.

I’m a senior too ;) I looked up Depop on Google and it’s a fashion website to buy and sell clothing. Whenever I see something new that I'm not familiar with I rely on Google.

I agree that her death would essentially nullify any agreement they may have had while she was living, but it wouldn't be hard to argue that he didn't know she was dead. Remember, to this point, there isn't any physical evidence linking him to her death or the crime scene. The whole, "i went hiking and she was gone when I came back" alibi is still plausible; not reasonable or likely, but plausible.

I'm curious to know what the "> $1000" actually represents. I'm guessing he cleaned out the account, bought gas and snacks, etc.
The statement i read said $1k or more. I wonder if BL got that truck bed camper with Gabby's money? Then stuff to hide himself somewhere

Ok, Im not sure if people are not reading what I said. Black and white for a fraud case about using someones card yes. Guilty.

But if Im sitting in a jury, I would need alot more for a murder case. If a defence presented a pattern of use on the card, or a disgruntled ex who took they card cause they felt they were owed. Id be like sure thats stealing, but Im not going to vote guilty cause a card was used. A jury needs more for murder. Well I would if I was on the jury. And yes I get there is so much more evidence, and in combination it amounts to guilt. But in my belief unless they can establish time of death, and manner of death, the card is not going to convict him.

Do I think he did. Yes of course, but im on an internet forum not a jury.

They can’t find him guilty of murdering her just because he used her card. That is why this is a bank fraud charge and not a murder charge. If they can demonstrate that any consent she gave for use of her account ended at the time of her death, which is common sense, he would need to be found guilty. If he is charged with murder they will have far more evidence than he used her bank card.

I have to keep reminding myself that the FBI/police wouldn’t be searching the reserve so fully unless they had something concrete to go off, but is anyone else concerned that he has fled the state or even country?

MOD REMINDERS

- ONLY the VICTIM and the POI or SUSPECT may be sleuthed.
- FAMILY MEMBERS of the VICTIM and ANY POI or SUSPECT may NOT be sleuthed.

- questions for Moderators should be asked in a REPORT or PM, NOT on the thread.

THANKS a BUNCH!
May TODAY be the day for more answers!

Oh, I use my moms pin often, and she uses mine. Lots of people share them, but technically its not allowed and I think that the FBI is just using a charge they know won't be thrown out so they can have a warrant on him to bring him in. JB said a similar thing yesterday on his stream.

<modnsip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members