Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do kids have to take Spanish in school in New York State or is it optional? Would BL have a working knowledge of Spanish? Did anyone here go to school with him? Could he blend in to a Spanish speaking country?
And most importantly, is anyone aware of a site like this one in Spanish? Does Mexico or another country in South America have a site like this where we should post in Spanish his picture and a brief description of what’s happening.

If he's wanted by the FBI then all countries would have access to that Wanted bulletin or whatever they put out, I'm sure it's some kind of alert. I also thought it was likely he went into Mexico or central America. He could be in any other country, but I don't know how he'd get around the COVID travel rules and I haven't looked them up. Any travel would require lots of cash And I think his parents did arrange for him to have a lot of cash and to get lost and lay low but to what end? He can't live on the run forever. He will be found.

Does anyone have information or theories about why BL felt the need to get home so quickly, by September 1?

I appreciated the information about Hurricane Ida, had not even thought of that!

But I can't make any of it make sense. He could have bopper anywhere in that van, seems like he is comfortable alone for stretches of time. No one tried to hide the van, so that can't be the reason, in fact, if he knew she was dead, going home seems odd, unless he knew exactly where he was going to hide.

I just don't understand what was compelling him to cover so many miles SO quickly. I wondered if something else had happened at home-some other sort of emergency....strange case, for sure!

My thinking is, he knew he had to act incredibly fast in order to get on the run. I get the impression BL is very cerebral - he knew because he and GP were traveling in a remote area with little reception he had SOME time before she'd be found but was unsure about how much time. Also, he seems incredibly manipulative. I believe he raced home, all the while planning a believable story to tell his parents about Gabby (which is why neighbors said everything seemed fine, they went bike riding, camping, etc., his parents believed everything was fine at the point in time), to buy himself time before they were aware of the grave circumstances... in that window of opportunity he went for a hike at the reserve, when really he went on the run. That $1000 dollars he fraudulently spent? Likely a items to help him while on the run, he stowed this cache of gear prior to returning home. He left with just a backpack? He had $1000 worth of stuff SOMEWHERE.... one person does not need $1000 for gas and food from WY to FL....

Had he NOT gone home, and instead fled in the van? He would be easier to track/find IMO and he was well aware of that. He needed to get home in that aforementioned window, clean the van, get rid of whatever evidence there might be, and get on the run before even his parents were aware of the true circumstances.

<modsnip>

He also is LIKELY not dead by suicide. He appears, again IMO, like an ego maniac. They're usually not the type - too proud. His distain for "human beings" in his social media posts alludes to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Route on map from Tetons back home....there should be plenty of other sitings
And he could have been in Mexico for weeks but instead he ran home to Mommy and Daddy with his dead girlfriends van...thankful he's such a baby. Otherwise no one would know what in the world is going on, we would have been speculating that they were missing together.

Welcome @Squeekyyy . We are not allowed to sleuth anyone not named a POI.

But a few questions about what you did post that we can discuss:
Buying and selling of homes (at very little profit) does not create an influx of cash, as you suggest. IMO.
What pull behind camper?
BL flew to NY? to help his dad? when?

If anyone other than BL killed Gabby, why would BL be running from the cops? Unless he's dead already and isn't actually running; just not found
I think any theory about this one, outside of he is guilty, is a huge leap and highly unlikely. The only alternative I can come up with here is that POSSIBLY he really did leave her in the van to work on her blog, etc and went hiking/camping. Maybe they called and sent texts back and forth. She may have sent something alone the lines of worrying about being followed, or creepy person or something and then he didn't hear anything else. (Or even something else, related them breaking up and her leaving...he may have taken the keys to prevent this from happening, and figured she hooked up with that friend) He gets back and she is gone. He can't reach her, figures she left, but he is worried. Waits a bit and then leaves. Realizes she is missing completely, and then her body is found. He knows it happened because he left to hiking/camping, can't handle the guilt, leaves his stuff behind and commits suicide. Highly unlikely, only a possible theory, not even really opinion, just alternate, remote, possible theory. All strange!

It crossed my mind and is a possibility. Cassie would be privy to this info. Maybe one day she'll come forth.
She must be totally freaked out and disgusted. I don't think that she was privy to what was going on, just stayed silent because parents told her to. jmo

bbm
Can't or won't? Either way, no matter...but would love to know which... Maybe they want to contact her parents first. This is the saddest and most aggravating case.
Maybe they don't want to release horrific information to the public. MOO We don't know what BL could have done to Gabby before, during or after her death

@Alethea poated this and I saved it to the media thread-

“As it happens, I am an attorney and I practice federal law almost exclusively. You can read the statute yourself. 18 U.S.C. 2 covers aiding & abetting a federal crime and 18 U.S.C. 3 covers acting as an accessory after the fact related to a federal crime. If you do the acts described below (assisting someone who committed a federal crime) with the mindset described below (knowingly), you have violated a federal statute.

18 U.S. Code § 3 - Accessory after the fact

Whoever, knowing that an offense against the United States has been committed, receives, relieves, comforts or assists the offender in order to hinder or prevent his apprehension, trial or punishment, is an accessory after the fact.

Except as otherwise expressly provided by any Act of Congress, an accessory after the fact shall be imprisoned not more than one-half the maximum term of imprisonment or (notwithstanding section 3571) fined not more than one-half the maximum fine prescribed for the punishment of the principal, or both; or if the principal is punishable by life imprisonment or death, the accessory shall be imprisoned not more than 15 years.”

18 U.S. Code § 3 - Accessory after the fact
—-
Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 *MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE No discussion*

And to be clear, the federal District of Florida could charge someone with violations of 18 U.S.C. 3 that occurred in Florida even if the underlying crime is being prosecuted by the District of Wyoming. If they believe there's sufficient evidence to meet the elements of the crime.

There's no requirement in the statute that the "providing comfort" needs to be in the same state as the "offense against the United States." It just says anyone who knowingly provides comfort can be found to be an accessory after the fact.

Very well said.

With no support in Canada and living like a "suburban racoon (excellent analogy) in either place, he would be better off staying home.

Then factor in subtle covid and other cultural differences. In most of the US, people habitually ignoring laxly enforced covid regs don't attract attention. Is that true in Canada? Warmer weather in the US also makes "racoon life" easier.

I am thinking shave mustache and beard. Grow hair, maybe dye it- nothing extreme, just move to a deeper brown or lighter red.

Then.... head to a place in the US where huge numbers of homeless and semi homeless transients live a "racoon life" between shelters, odd jobs and shop lifting type theft.

Factor in an over loaded police force which has been instructed not to actively enforce a number of laws- including theft, San Francisco or Seattle are ideal travel destinations. Tens of thousands of like minded people cant be wrong.
Personally, I think the swamp was a well thought out diversion. I don't think he ever went in there. Force a futile search in an area where it's unlikely you would be found even if you had actually been there and also strong possibility of alligator-assisted suicide covering up any evidence. The hiking equivalent of blowing up your boat to fake your own death. He is hoping LE just gives up. If he is alive then he is going to use what he knows, hiking in the woods and sponging of the land, to hide out. Maybe the camping trip with his parents was an opportunity to pre-position supplies, it certainly seems more likely than just a relaxing weekend jaunt after you came home having killed your girlfriend. I am sure that can be stressful but I don't think that was it. Anybody who has hiked in the south, or even driven through those states will appreciate that there are thousands and thousands of sq. miles of forest where you could hide very easily and not be uncomfortable if you pre-positioned a well outfitted hiking pack.

And he could have been in Mexico for weeks but instead he ran home to Mommy and Daddy with his dead girlfriends van...thankful he's such a baby. Otherwise no one would know what in the world is going on, we would have been speculating that they were missing together.
IMO he had no idea that this would blow up the way it has.

The bit that I can’t get over is the fact that they didn’t return any calls or text messages to a family desperately searching for their daughter. Surely as parents themselves or out of compassion for a girl they had known for 2 years…. That’s the part that makes me think they were ready to conceal from the start. I can’t rationalise why they would do this if they weren’t trying to conceal something.
Yes, I think that's the first thing we all noticed from the start. It was that, along with their silence that first raised the suspicion that something terrible had happened to Gabby. LE made it clear that they were not cooperating.

If Brian had told LE where he last saw her, the body would have been found a lot sooner. I think it would have been easy for investigators to get answers out of him and their attorney knew that. Imo

Does anyone have information or theories about why BL felt the need to get home so quickly, by September 1?

I appreciated the information about Hurricane Ida, had not even thought of that!

But I can't make any of it make sense. He could have bopper anywhere in that van, seems like he is comfortable alone for stretches of time. No one tried to hide the van, so that can't be the reason, in fact, if he knew she was dead, going home seems odd, unless he knew exactly where he was going to hide.

I just don't understand what was compelling him to cover so many miles SO quickly. I wondered if something else had happened at home-some other sort of emergency....strange case, for sure!

I think he lost his mind for about a day (e.g., the hitchhiking event) and finally collected his wits. He was scared and probably mourning. He ran home to his mother. On the way he collected cash for gas, food, etc. He got home and realized it was over. He had time with his parents, was too craven to notify Gabby's parents, went to the preserve and ended his life.

He probably felt that life without Gabby was a life not worth living.

Alas, the tragedy was complete.

Apparently, this detective basically says, the FBI is in charge of this investigation. If they thought he was in the swamp, they'd be there searching too. AND they're not.
I had actually thought the FBI was directing this search. So that makes a big difference, that they’re not. :eek: And that they stated they do NOT believe he’s in the swamp.

Apparently, this detective basically says, the FBI is in charge of this investigation. If they thought he was in the swamp, they'd be there searching too. AND they're not.
Where are the feds searching then if not the swamp.
If it's only local LEO's searching the swamp, are the feds sharing info with them to make them think he is in there or is this just a show for some reason

Ive been wondering since NPPD keeps saying things along the lines of "its our job to search this swamp". It's sounded like the feds arent heavily involved, just using locals to eliminate a possibility.

I think any theory about this one, outside of he is guilty, is a huge leap and highly unlikely. The only alternative I can come up with here is that POSSIBLY he really did leave her in the van to work on her blog, etc and went hiking/camping. Maybe they called and sent texts back and forth. She may have sent something alone the lines of worrying about being followed, or creepy person or something and then he didn't hear anything else. (Or even something else, related them breaking up and her leaving...he may have taken the keys to prevent this from happening, and figured she hooked up with that friend) He gets back and she is gone. He can't reach her, figures she left, but he is worried. Waits a bit and then leaves. Realizes she is missing completely, and then her body is found. He knows it happened because he left to hiking/camping, can't handle the guilt, leaves his stuff behind and commits suicide. Highly unlikely, only a possible theory, not even really opinion, just alternate, remote, possible theory. All strange!
You're missing your calling as a defense attorney

I agree that her death would essentially nullify any agreement they may have had while she was living, but it wouldn't be hard to argue that he didn't know she was dead. Remember, to this point, there isn't any physical evidence linking him to her death or the crime scene. The whole, "i went hiking and she was gone when I came back" alibi is still plausible; not reasonable or likely, but plausible.

I'm curious to know what the "> $1000" actually represents. I'm guessing he cleaned out the account, bought gas and snacks, etc.
He wast smart (?) enuff to get all he could while he could -- before her bank froze her account -- and then he spent what was necessary and crammed the rest in his pants. SMH. Wondering, if he is still alive, if he has any money now. I also wonder if he has any way of knowing what's going with the search. How much does a burner phone cost?
Is today the day? Crossing my fingers.
And when will his parents go in front of the Grand Jury -- Cannot hardly wait!

September 1, 2021
Laundrie returns to the couple’s North Port home, where his parents also live, on September 1, according to police.

According to an affidavit attached to a search warrant request, a license plate reader shows the vehicle exited Interstate 75 into North Port at 10:26 a.m. ET.

The white vehicle Petito and Laundrie had been traveling in was later recovered by police at the home. It was processed and “there was some material in there” that authorities will be going through, Taylor, the police spokesperson, says at a news briefing.
A timeline of 22-year-old Gabby Petito’s case – Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay