Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Where do you think BL is right now?

• Mexico

Votes: 50 7.1%
  • Cuba

Votes: 12 1.7%
  • Canada

Votes: 20 2.8%
  • Carlton Reserve, FL

Votes: 98 13.8%
  • Somewhere else in FL

Votes: 166 23.4%
  • New York

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • Somewhere else in the US

Votes: 306 43.2%
  • Somewhere else in the world

Votes: 32 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The PHV practice described by another poster bypasses that and is much easier and quicker. All you need is an admitted lawyer to vouch for you, pay the fee and you're in so long as you're admitted somewhere and are in good standing. Very easy and fast in Federal Court. jmo
Yes, I know; I've done it. But you're correct, I didn't make the distinction in my quick reply!

Are you saying, that it’s possible she lied to her parents and said he had to fly home for some reason, so they’d pay for the hotel, because she was embarrassed to tell them the truth about where he was?

And that’s why only her family has mentioned that claim?

If not, what are you saying? Genuinely asking, I hadn’t even considered that.

How does her dad thinking he was ordering Uber eats for “them” play into that?

The storage story didn't even make sense to GP's mom IIRC. It seems to me I remember reading somewhere (maybe the media thread?) that during that time frame SLC was 'blanketed' in smoke from wildfires and maybe that was why they stayed in a hotel, but then again I could be wrong.

This is the story I remember, that there were fires in the area and it was too smokey to sleep in the van. What if Bl actually succeeded in kicking her out of the van and he had the van and she found her way to the hotel. Then comes back for her because that's what they did - per his sister even. They would have a spat, separate, and then back together. Nobody knows where the van was while she was at the hotel. Logically, it would be at the hotel if BL did fly home.

Last edited:
This is long and i'll preface by saying it is just my summary of the Moab stop that make me think my original opinion that LE could have done better has changed..I think they really did the best they could. It was a tough call.
**Mods if this is not allowed DBM if you must
Again this is just MHO.
Okay...for no other reason than my own mental sorting out. . .

i just watched Moab again. . I listened actually with my eyes closed, because i get lost in visual details sometimes.
I was once again curious, because of the phone question, that' s what started me going down this rabbit hole, but then i got immersed in other fine points.

Early on BL also points out that besides his 'dirty feet, the 'flies' are really getting to her. weird right but I hate flies too.
LE the bearded LE , when first speaking with GP. also does ask her if 'he has a lot of anxiety and stress' and she replies yes, note**** I think I hear LE referring to BL anxiety not GP)
she says 'he gets frustrated with her alot'.
SADDEST thing i might have heard at approximately 11:13 when LE said 'maybe it's bad for your soul'.
GP says later about the altercations at 11:25 'it's never happened before'.
12:30 or so BL during his physical exam says "she has marks on her too".
I find it interesting that he says 'we had a little squabble. . .hanging out at the coffee shop', he mentions the coffee shop 3 times.
14:39 'i don't have my phone. . I don't really, i don't have a phone. "
14:59 "I got really loud and that probably got everyone's attention" (like maybe BL knew LE was aware of the coffee shop so he was explaining a situation because he goes on to say a bit later '
i feel bad i had to get so public, and get so loud. . .I was trying to get her to calm down. . . look everyone is watching".
19:22 asked about the how long they have been on trip --"4-5 months now, 5 months'. he refers to their trip 2 years before, was cross country in a nissan sentra.

But LE does discuss the scene at the cafe when he says he says to another LE "i spoke to one of the two witnesses' 'he never saw the male hit her". 'he's trying to disengage, she's clawed her way in . . what he (BL) said is what is the witnesses said'.
** My note ** (i wish they checked her nails for clawing damage)

And in the end after what i would consider a review of the laws by the officer to the other officer (around 21 minutes into 22 minutes +) there is discussion about her going to jail as she was the primary aggressor.

The LE did attempt to find a place to 'hook her up for the night' --40:09

Around 47 minutes she is on phone with her parents, after that there is a discussion about whether they should charge her again.

Initially he said just his wallet was in his right hand pocket of his shorts and 'ID in the car' then at 54 minutes he does take his wallet out of his pocket with his license-- but says he thought it was 'with car stuff' or something.

***At 55 minutes he takes PHONE out of the same pocket....this is bothersome to me...JMO again.

At 1:00 hour when BL learns of the hotel room he says something about 'outside' I am not sure if he's asking if GP is sleeping outside, or referencing himself sleeping outside. . . I just can't catch it.

So in the end, I have gone from saying that I think LE could have done more to saying I think they did the best they could with the info they had. I also think some of their discussions with BL/GP were done in a way that was supportive, like trying to help them both out.

Don't shred me please. But i'd encourage anyone who only watched part of the video to sit and listen carefully. It was a very hard call for LE in the end. It is even harder to watch this very sweet and polite little girl cry and that she is not here anymore.

Sorry so long. These are just my own personal thoughts and observations.

agree but it could be useful for exposure . maybe not the right kind but who knows where he is hiding?
Could well be hiding among a group of Doug The BH's fans?

Frankly, I only know a little about ‘Dog’. I just know that he’s on reality tv as a bounty hunter and was convicted of taking part in a murder. He may be useful, but I don’t see how. (I’m not being sarcastic, maybe he’s skilled).

Agree, @x_files. I used to live in Maine and the border there with Canada is incredibly porous... it is very easy to walk across in the cover of dense forest (or night). Just don't get shot by a moose hunter this time of year, would be my advise! All that said, Canada is a wicked country in winter, starting next month in some areas, like much of the northern U.S. If BL is heading to Canada (or is there), it would have to be a jumping off place to somewhere else because "winter is coming", or he has shelter.

In fact, IMO, BL, or whomever might be helping him hide, likely planned to get BL to a location hospitable in both summer and winter... a temperate climate with dense forest, rivers, dry weather, and periodic access to provisions. Otherwise he'd have a massive backpack to survive in very cold temperatures and have enough sustenance.

Where might such a place be... not too hot, not too cold for a long period of time...? (I voted for 'somewhere else in the U.S.' for this reason).

I haven't seen anything to suggest that BL is exceptionally bright, but given we are coming up on October, I have to think he would not have chosen to go north.

And despite vacation houses/cabins going vacant for the winter, a lot of them are going to be shut down and without heating, etc. for the cold months.

I'm pretty sure a bounty hunter is allowed to knock as long as he's not harassing them. But some bounty hunters have in the past kicked down doors and drug out suspects/fugitives. But he's NOt gonna do that on live tv! I don't think so! I think in Texas Dog could enter w permission with handcuffs and a gun.

A Florida attorney can chime in this is what I found:
"As a general rule, they can enter the fugitive's property, but not anyone else's. ... Part of this agreement allows a bounty hunter to enter your property to re-arrest you if you attempt to escape. They do not, however, have the right to enter a third party's residence without permission, even if the fugitive is inside."
Blog | Bail and Bail Bondsmen Explained | Half Down Bail Bonds | CALL NOW: 703-369-5555

But the above quote applies when hunting bail jumpers. BL hasn't jumped bail. There's a difference. The above link from the blog goes on to explain jumping bail violates a contract between the jumper and the bondsman. That's why a residence can be entered. That doesn't seem to apply here but I'm not an attorney.
JMO

Brian Entin just said on his Twitter live broadcast that the FBI are looking into restaurants the Laundries may have gone to after GP’s disappearance and asking for camera surveillance if it’s available.

Can we read anything into the FBI's (relative) silence so far beyond a generic request for tips coinciding w/ the federal warrant (and Brian's reporting above)?

I'm new to this, so not familiar with their standard operating procedure in high profile cases, but I'm somehow somewhat optimistic that the FBI's not releasing/leaking information, having daily press conferences, appealing to the public etc.

There has been a lot of public scrutiny of LE so far, so I would think if they are in a mad scramble to locate him, they might be a little bit more forthcoming sharing information, asking for help (and trying to head off future criticism by spelling out everything they're doing).

I'm hoping all this means they are closing in, but I could be way off in a lot of these assumptions and wanted to see if this is just wishful thinking on my part.

So she goes home with Yellowstone friend to Florida and she is found murdered 200 yards from where he had the van parked? How did she happen to be back in Grand Teton?

No. He stalks off from campsite because they’ve been fighting. When he returns, she’s gone. She had told him she’s leaving. <modsnip> So he jumps into van snd heads home. Unaware that she is dead 200 yards from van.

It’s not a likely scenario, IMo, but MOO, possible. He clearly left the campsite alone as he was found and given a ride going back to it at least twice.

Unless there is some evidence that can point directly to BL as the one who killed GP, there are such possible scenarios. That’s what the fed prosecutor has to prepare for

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we misheard the question the police asked BL and I think he retrieved his own phone or a shared phone. She definitely had her own phone while sitting in the back of the police car. Or did he give it to her after that point where he retrieved it from the van?
I also don't think he opened up that phone with his face ID. He didn't hold it up to his face. He just pressed a couple of things on the screen, like turning it on, versus opening up a locked phone. A lot of people don't even lock their phones. I don't think it was locked.
Nope...just watched. He said he didn't have a phone really....she was on the phone with her parents when they are asking him for his ID and then he takes his phone out. SO weird.

Sorry if posted but the video has him talking to the neighbor. In that the neighbor says he hadn’t seen BL since they left for the 3 day camping trip. I keep thinking that trip is when BL went into hiding. He is holed up safely somewhere.
Has ANYONE claimed to have seen BL after that short "camping" trip??? Didn't his parents say the last time they SAW him was two weeks ago this coming Tuesday? Did their attorney claim to have SEEN him? I can't remember. jmo

Thanks. I don't even know how many entire threads I've missed at this point. I'll keep looking.

So far, I have
which obviously does not add up to $30k or $70 or $100k. :oops:

ETA: Reward for Brian Laundrie at $30,000 - Sept 25, 2021
So this article has
-5K from a Green Beret
-5K from a neighbor
1K from the Police Chief
Reward being offered for info leading to arrest in Gabby Petito case

Then there is the 20K from the Law firm for a grand total of 31K. The local news agencies also say the reward is up to 30K.
Reward for Brian Laundrie at $30,000

I don't see any other rewards being offered. Someone said something about a country star offering a reward, but I couldn't find it.

JB is doing an amazing job and it appears he’s having a lot of influence on the public’s response to this case. He discussed why there hadn’t been a reward offered for information…and the next day…boom…reward offered. Then discusses Dog…and boom…he appears.

jmo

If he could please discuss me winning the lottery that would be great. Thanks in advance JB... ;)

Agree totally. I keep thinking what is his end game here? Say he does hole up for 6 months, a year, whatever, then what? He'd have to try to get a new identity somehow. How does someone do that?

I find this one of the more intriguing questions. For some reason, I doubt he has a passport (and no chance of getting one now). But if he does have a passport, I do think there are (illegal) ways for him to flee the US to either Canada or Mexico. I think Canada would be prompt in catching him if he tried to fly out of Canada though. So he'd have to go on the lam. In Mexico, he could keep traveling south and would probably find a local airport (I can think of a couple) where he could catch a flight (Cuba won't work - need very specific visas to board a plan or ship to Cuba) or get on a ship (better idea).

(Long post follow...TL;DR...there are several ways to get a fake passport).

I know someone who fled the US and joined the Merchant Marines in Panama. He used his regular ID, no one checked. He lived that way for 2 years before deciding to come back (statute of limitations had run out - it was a fairly minor crime compared to this). I know another person who went illegally into Mexico and couldn't get back (US denied him entry due to various reasons) and spent a year in a legal battle to prove he really wasn't intentionally breaking the law and was in fact a US citizen. I know someone who had a passport already and walked over the border and flew from Juarez Intl to someplace in Europe, where he lived for a year. He was not wanted by LE, but he was attempting to avoid all contact with his parents over a specific situation. I could keep going. As an anthropologist with experience in Mexico and specifically in border towns, these people (or their families) have contacted me for help - I know some people in the FBI who have helped me understand the in's and out's of some of this. This is not an exhaustive list of people I know who have fled.

Getting a new identity is not that difficult if you know a few criminals. Heck, four houses away from me, two people were busted for procuring fake identification. And at one DMV in California, people were busted for accepting bribes to issue fake ID's. In Downtown LA, you can buy them if you know what you're doing. My own identity was stolen about a decade ago, which I found out when I didn't receive my DL renewal notice (someone had changed my address for me and had a replacement DL sent to Texas, where they were also using my credit card from time to time - the bank merely reimbursed me, the DMV asked me for proof of address and reissued the right license - to me; now I have it calendared when I'm supposed to get the renewal notice!)

(I believe the renewal notice was stolen from my mailbox and that we have the person on camera, but the time/date stamp was not correct and the police had no interest in viewing that video whatsoever - they told me to get a locking mailbox, which we did).

Of course, I've lived all my life in a big metropolitan area, so my experiences are not all that unusual. My ex-husband had his identity stolen early in his university years (by. someone with the same name) and unknown to him, that person got a CA DL using his name and my ex's current address - while using his own birth certificate). It was a nightmare getting it straightened out. The guy was wanted for a few property crimes - we found that out when we were screened for a rental and told that my ex was a criminal - not true!)

Someone tried to steal my dad's identity (older people are victims of this all the time) and got a copy of dad's SS card. Once a person gets one valid piece of idea, the next one is easier to get. Actual passports are hard to counterfeit but those passport cards are not so hard - and those can be purchased.

All that being said, a person has to be a determined criminal and of a criminal mind to do this. Seeing no evidence that Brian or his parents fall into the category, I am assuming he'll hide out in the US for a long time. He can hitchhike. He can change his appearance. He probably looks nothing like the photos being shown everywhere on SM at this point in time.

She hit him once on the arm to try to make him stop instead of accelerating away when the police were behind them with lights on.

I thought he had a mark on his face where she struck him with her phone.

BL professed to love her. Driving home without her is an odd expression of love in this old man's opinion.

BL is wanted by LE for charges, and for questioning.

BL is on the run, or deceased.

The pink elephant stomps about the room.

But the original quote was something his sister said about his supposed trip back to the East Coast, leaving GP in Salt Lake City. She speculated that he flew. -- "that's what he did when he is..." The context wasn't his sister talking about activities that he enjoyed or ways he liked to relax, it was about the trip back to Florida.
Too bad she didn’t complete that sentence! One idea - perhaps the unfinished word was “escaped” which can be pronounced as “is.”

“when he escaped from her before” or something along those lines.

Just a thought, MOO, of course.

Yes. If I lived in that house I would need a lot of Xanax and I would be very tempted to tell everything I knew just to make even half of it stop. They are essentially imprisoned in their home. And even when they go somewhere else they may as well have ankle monitors on because LE is going to follow them.
I'm okay with Dog being there. He's an annoying spectacle with his entourage of...whatever they are. He will bring even more attention to the search. Are the parents getting grocery deliveries? Does the mail carrier come by regularly? I guess they have no choice but to stay in that home, because they have to stick to the narrative (BL in park). I would be miserable if I was stuck in my home with that ever growing circus outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinCaseBreakGlass