Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian Laundrie is very likely deceased IMHO, and the FBI obtaining DNA samples from his parents' home this morning (9-26) is to verify the identity of partial human remains found in the Carlton Reserve this weekend (MOO). I don't believe LE is looking for a live person in the swamp at this stage; rather, they maintained a maximum effort to recover remains before wildlife dispersed such over too broad an area.

A warm, humid swampland is a feeding ground for bacteria that accelerate decomposition, and the indigenous varied species of wildlife would quickly consume human remains, making a recovery of an intact body extremely unlikely at present. If searchers were lucky enough to recover an intact jaw with teeth, dental records would obviously be the key to identifying remains, but in the present case of BL, I believe only partial bone fragments such as a femur or spinal vertebra, etc., have been recovered and identified as human.

I can think of no other reason LE would want DNA material from BL at this time.

I live near the BRP/AT, this is not a time to be heading North on the trail. The leaves are changing, fall festivals in all these little towns, lot and lots of folks from all over the country. Once the trees shed their leaves, less cover, places to hide and most are heading to their mountain cabins. Park rangers and state police out in full force. Locals will be on the look out for him, its in all the private AT/BRP local groups.

The AT is federal land, a national park, all adjoining land is privately owned.

It would not be my choice of places to hide and I know NC and VA AT pretty well. I'd be headed west LA, SF, a large city get lost in the homeless population, change my looks, warm weather, sleep in a tent city.

Moo....

Hmmm I don't know Brian strikes me as a bit of a loner, not that I think he is in Carlton Reserve now if ever. Still I could see where he would be more comfortable camping elsewhere.

I don't know about farther south, but up here in New England, lots of people are closing their cabins for the winter. Lots of places where a person looking to stay out of sight could live quite comfortably.
There are lots of places in Arkansas to disappear to as well —small towns with a ton of indigent people. I’ve never hiked the AT…didn’t know how crowded it could get but I imagine he has choices. Turning himself in would be the best though!

Watching Gabby’s memorial service and the impact that her story of life and death has had on so many people, literally around the world, I find it hard to believe that he would not be suicidal.
Yes it seems Gabby was well loved - and now I’m thinking he was jealous of her - couldn’t stand her success and yet I still can’t decide if he would disappoint his parents and commit suicide?
Jmo

I'd be interested in your views re :: the reason he murdered her. Why it was then, not before, not later.

I can't think of any overwhelming reason apart from her going back and apologising to the cafe people. How insecure he must have been for that to escalate to murder, but it isn't improbable. There must have been a whole lot of justifications in his head to go to that extreme, do you think??
When the Moab police questioned Gabby about the altercation, she made a clamping grab for her lower face and jaw. He clamped down on her jaw.
Her neck is mere inches below her jaw. Move that clamping motion down, add some anger and intense pressure and you have manual strangulation. Old habits die hard.

I keep thinking about the Catskills for some reason. Maybe because the family is from New York. Just a thought that keeps creeping in about where he could be hiding out (cabin, 2nd home, etc.). MOO, etc.

I tend to agree. I feel like he's stowed away in cabin/house in a secluded location rather than hiding out in the swamp or on the AT.

I need to get my .02 in on the stop in Moab. While I think the officers were unprofessional jerks I don't necessarily think their actions contributed to the problem. While they may have made Gabby feel worse and BL feel justified I would bet is he got in big trouble or met with men who challenged him over how he treated Gabby he may have lashed out worse. As far as what they could have or would have done if he were deemed the aggressor Gabby's injuries were less obvious than BL's. In NJ if a police officer see's injury in a DV call they must arrest the other party. If the rules in Utah are the same they would have had to arrest Gabby and maybe BL. Also, the officers spelled out what would have happened if they deemed BL the aggressor. Probably a citation and a video hearing. They both would have had a record. When they discussed charging Gabby then didn't say she'd be locked up for days or weeks they said she could go on her way. I assume it would have been the same for BL.

I think they covered the important bases of trying to activate her support system (calling her parents) and giving them a cooling off period. In addition, to that night they were apart for seven days between then and the murder during which Gabby could contact her parents and friends to plan a way out. We know she had the funds for a plane ticket if that was her choice because she had at least 1000 in her accounts. Also, they did have a female officer talk with her and hopefully she gave Gabby good support. The body cam footage may be unavailable because park service policy may be different. In any case I don't think it's up to the officer.

Where I felt they messed up is that everyone acknowledged she was having a mental health crisis but that was never followed up on. I'm an EMT and I panicked a little when they just let her drive off in that state. Personally, I think they should have explored whether it was appropriated to send her for a psych eval.

Another poster raised the question of an alternative timeline. If we accept she was in the Tex Mex restaurant on the 27 and her van was spotted later that day and that BL was hitchhiking in the following days that doesn't mean she was killed on the 27. She may have been stranded in the van with no phone.

I have seen two dates for when they went on the camping trip. I kind of believe it was the later date and I think the Labor Day weekend was suggested because it was the most logical date for a 3 day camping trip. Did not have to be that date though.
I watched the video of their interview and I'm pretty sure they said it was the weekend before she was reported missing.

Most likely BL's parents have never made him accept responsibility for anything. BL and his parents believe that it is GP's fault for pushing him. So, they see it as their parental duty to help him hide. BL is the victim in their eyes. This allows the parents to view their son as blameless and to avoid the feelings that come with acknowledging their son is an evil murderer.
It explains why BL would run to them and why the parents would help him hide.

You sound like me every time I check and Sarasota isn't doing anything. Orlando is new! Jacksonville was out basically all weekend in the same area, but I don't think anything ever came out about it. Orlando seems more likely since his parents were just there.
I may or may not just scan the large trails for helicopters when I'm bored now

Watching Gabby’s memorial service and the impact that her story of life and death has had on so many people, literally around the world, I find it hard to believe that he would not be suicidal.

No offense, he's not like us. He didn't value her in life. I doubt he does in death.

I tend to agree. I feel like he's stowed away in cabin/house in a secluded location rather than hiding out in the swamp or on the AT.
I've probably watched too many series/movies during the past several months, but I'm picturing the roomy root cellar used as a hideout in upstate NY in the series Manifest. The only thing about him getting back to NY (if it was in the maroon truck with the camper top) is the toll booths. I'm assuming they take photos of every vehicle that goes through. MOO/random thoughts.

And if he is not, he should be. He was punching way above his weight. I would have to ask why a beautiful kind girl like Gabby took up with this small, small manboy. All 5'8" of him was really brave slapping and eventually murdering her but sucked up to LE when they appeared on the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties