Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the article that came out today clarified that the officers did not follow the law. Regardless as to who had been arrested, GP or BL, it appears that under Utah law they may not have been allowed to continue their trip based on the law here and cited below. What the officers said on the bodycam video was not according to the law.

(1) (a) Upon arrest for domestic violence, and before the person is released on bail, recognizance, or otherwise, the person may not personally contact the alleged victim of domestic violence.

2011 Utah Code :: Title 77 Utah Code of Criminal Procedure :: Chapter 36 Cohabitant Abuse Procedures Act :: Section 2.5 Conditions for release after arrest for domestic violence -- Jail release agreements -- Jail release court orders.

They may not have followed the law IF they found it was DV. But they decided it was a mental health issue. The law doesn't require a mandatory arrest or citation in those cases. And that's a very good thing.

I understand some people believe GP would have suddenly "seen the light" if BL was arrested. I have no reason to believe that's true myself. But regardless, we can't expect LE to arrest people based on single calls to 911 from random citizens, can we? And what the officers could see without benefit of hindsight didn't seem to support arresting BL. Maybe GB could have been arrested (since she "confessed") but I can't see why anyone would have thought that should be done.
JMO

”book him”… for speeding. You mean as in arrest him and send to a holding center or prison? Really? Wow. Is that even an option for a moving violation like speeding - 45 in a 15.
yeah, i agree...
and for the other suggestions regarding pseudo parenting him by the LE, I don't see that can happen when you're in jail for speeding.
I definitely think there are cautionary tales in this whole encounter ,but I do not think what happened too GL had too much to do with that traffic stop. JMO.

[bbm]
source?
I'm not that poster, but go ahead and watch the cop cam. He dismissed her efforts at her "little blog", while playfully typing in the air with his own fingers. He called her "crazy" to the cops and said he was so worried that she would take the van and her phone, which was projection because that's exactly why she fought back, to stop him from stealing her vehicle. He demeaned her in a dozen ways...he is the staid one, always trying to hold her off until SHE calms down. All of this after there was a 911 call saying he was beating on her, slapping and hitting her in the street.

Wow, didn’t see the bottle!

Maybe, some chemical he may have used to subdue his victims. Sorry this dude makes my mind go to dark places.:eek:

Wow, really. I'm not saying you're wrong, but all I see is a vaguely tawdry domestic murder.

Now if he had done an intel death-by-cop standoff, that I would believe.

I’ve seen it posted many times about concern with LE’s response to BL regarding his own personal life with HIS wife. Am I the only one who sees that as a ruse to, possibly, extract a confession from BL?

Possibly. He may not even have an ex-wife. It wouldn't be the first time that police have buddy-ed up to people to try to get to the truth.

This may have been discussed as I have missed many posts. How do we know that one of the parents didn’t drive the Mustang car out there and park it?

Then they went back later and picked it up and meanwhile he was long gone somewhere else. Maybe they just said he drove it out there.

They had the note to remove the car, from off the windshield but who put the car there in the first place.

I think they would do anything to protect him. JMO

I’ve seen it posted many times about concern with LE’s response to BL regarding his own personal life with HIS wife. Am I the only one who sees that as a ruse to, possibly, extract a confession from BL?
You're nor.
I too saw it as an attempt to gain rapport to relax the perp (B).
However, it could quite as easily have been a ruse to knock off duty early and not to have to go through the hassle of booking one or both of them even though the law of Utah demands they do.
I was giving them benefit of doubt

Does the parents' quick compliance with the DNA request mean anything? Until now they've been so uncooperative...

BBM.

Have they, though?

I think a lot of assumptions / accusations are being thrown around based on our perceptions of how they should be behaving in this situation.

Just because they're not chatting up a storm on major news networks to satisfy our curiosity doesn't mean they haven't been cooperative with LE.

I agree with you. I think in the coming years this bodycam video will be played to all new LE officers as part of their training on not what to do in such a situation.

Oh wow, that would be so wise and beneficial. To examine all the small signs that show there was more to this than meets the eye. Some things that might be glaringly obvious to others.

I showed my husband the crime scene photos and he says the orange paint marks are used in 3-D modeling photography. Ostensibly, the FBI may have taken photos that can be used for a complete animation of the crime scene including the position of all evidence and may also use the model to demonstrate and test what they believe may have occurred in sequence. We may see this model at the trial, if there is one.

”book him”… for speeding. You mean as in arrest him and send to a holding center or prison? Really? Wow. Is that even an option for a moving violation like speeding - 45 in a 15.
Does 'book him' mean jail him where you are from? It means give him a ticket in other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzyQuinn