Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #42

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, duty to report isn't really at play here. We know he didn't report, duty or not.I'm just trying to play off the scenario of "what if it wasn't BL". But I'm not sure you have a duty to report to anyone that you've left your girlfriend behind in your camping space. It looks terrible though, so that's why he *didn't* report it when she realized something worse happened to her.
Why did he send the texts? The only thing I can think of there is because he had her phone, and he knew her family would start worrying about her and he didn't want them to call the police to search for the van while he was driving it home.

(Again, this is all an imagined scenario. It's possible! I'm not saying it's what happened or if it happened, he did the right thing!)

Now here's a question....if he had her phone, why didn't he text her family pretending to be her and tell them she was ok? I mean, after the Yellowstone thing. Did he think that took care of it, then threw her phone out? I was imagining he kept her phone with him all the way to Florida. But maybe he dumped it because he could have used it to prolong the pretend correspondence with her family.
The final text that she sent on the 30th is what makes me think he may not have left until then. I think he tossed the phone out someplace in or near Grand Teton so that it wouldn't be pinging along with him in the van on the way back to Florida.

Well, duty to report isn't really at play here. We know he didn't report, duty or not.I'm just trying to play off the scenario of "what if it wasn't BL". But I'm not sure you have a duty to report to anyone that you've left your girlfriend behind in your camping space. It looks terrible though, so that's why he *didn't* report it when she realized something worse happened to her.
Why did he send the texts? The only thing I can think of there is because he had her phone, and he knew her family would start worrying about her and he didn't want them to call the police to search for the van while he was driving it home.

(Again, this is all an imagined scenario. It's possible! I'm not saying it's what happened or if it happened, he did the right thing!)

Now here's a question....if he had her phone, why didn't he text her family pretending to be her and tell them she was ok? I mean, after the Yellowstone thing. Did he think that took care of it, then threw her phone out? I was imagining he kept her phone with him all the way to Florida. But maybe he dumped it because he could have used it to prolong the pretend correspondence with her family.
He did do that. He tried. The "No cell service in Yosemite" text is doing exactly that. Making her family believe that she made it to California on her own, and implying that because there's no cell service there (which isn't true anyhow) that she wouldn't be in touch for awhile. It's a red herring/wild goose chase that bought him time. I don't know why he didn't keep up the pretext longer. Ed Shin did it for almost a year.

*Announcement*

To reduce clutter on page one of each thread a Timeline Only, NO Discussion Thread has been created.

Members who are working on a Timeline can add their own revised versions into the *NO DISCUSSION* thread. Simply do a copy/paste of the original into Post #2 and do your edits within Post #2 and post it. You can use the color option in the font toolbar at the top if you wish highlight your additions to the most recent version.

The latest version provided by @oviedo this evening has been inserted as Post #1.

Be sure to “Watch Thread” to be notified of changes. A link to the thread has also been included in the first post alongside the Media Thread link for quick access.

Timeline Thread No Discussion
Thank you!

I agree with gingersnap. My love for my child is conditional: you murder someone, you face the consequences. I don't believe in this unconditional love garbage.
You can still love them unconditionally and want them to face consequences for their own actions. When they are growing up, that's called parenting. If they murder someone, you can still love them while you watch them face trial.

I know this isn't your question but this happened to me today so I thought I would share since it has been discussed a lot.

You can hire a lawyer in less than a minute. The Laundries could have called SB and said we need your help now - and he could have agreed to immediately represent them if he knew he didn't have a conflict. To establish the whole attorney client contractual agreement, like outlining your fees and agreeing on the terms of the representation, you need an engagement letter. But the core of the relationship is both sides believing a relationship exists. Attorneys can get in trouble when someone BELIEVES they are represented by counsel and relies on your advice but you didn't actually think you were acting as their attorney. That's why there are so many disclaimers on attorney websites that say "this is not legal advice!" "I'm not your stinkin lawyer!"

I had a client I represented in the past send me an email with a new lawsuit they received and asked if I would represent them. They are a great client so I said sure and immediately emailed the opposing counsel to introduce myself and say I represented my client. It doesn't always happen like that but there's nothing wrong with it.

The real risk is for the attorney - that he won't get paid!
Happened so many times to my husband...he started charging up front.

Totally different scenarios. Btw, I never thought her brother was guilty. There were many who didn’t think so,

You mean in the spirit GP is dead and they should be grieving? Or at least acting like they are?

Of course not. You mean their son killed her and they don’t want to be reminded of that. They want to just move along, let Brian come home and everything is fine.

Except it’s not.

None of us know what they're feeling.

I'm imagining his drive home. His brain must have been like scrambled eggs.

I was amazed when, after 35+ hours of driving alone, he wasn't able to come up with a story to tell about what happened to Gabby. I mean really. What was he thinking about that whole time?

Apparently, he was thinking about how he was going to disappear.

He did do that. He tried. The "No cell service in Yosemite" text is doing exactly that. Making her family believe that she made it to California on her own, and implying that because there's no cell service there (which isn't true anyhow) that she wouldn't be in touch for awhile. It's a red herring/wild goose chase that bought him time. I don't know why he didn't keep up the pretext longer. Ed Shin did it for almost a year.

In addition, could he have been hoping that the search for her would begin at Yosemite versus back in Wyoming?

To me it looks tall/maybe has poor rear visibility. Driving tall vehicles that sway in the wind scares me. It is suprising that she would purchase a vehicle that she wasn't comfortable driving.
It doesn’t surprise me. Hubby and I bought a small camper van that I was excited about driving myself. What I had not anticipated was exactly what you stated above. Not only was it tall and prone to crosswinds on the highway, but it was top heavy due to cabinets etc. it So lack of stability and lack of visibility made it pretty scary to drive.

I got the impression that the sister was not in the loop. She said she "assumed" he had flown home, so at least at first, she didn't know the van was there -- no reason for her to lie about that, because everyone knows the van was actually there. I would bet that it was a deliberate decision on the part of the parents to shield her so she wouldn't have to lie, and that they thought that the fewer who knew, the better. MOO
The sister has way too much to lose. As in two precious children that need to be sheltered and protected from this nightmare. If the parents kept her in the dark intentionally, from my perspective, it’s the only damn good thing they’ve done. JMO

In addition, could he have been hoping that the search for her would begin at Yosemite versus back in Wyoming?
Yes, I really believe it was to kill some time. He never expected her to be found so quickly. Probably thought animals would clean everything up. She wasn’t buried. I’m so sorry for the graphic read

I wonder though, if once he had done the deed, whether he was strangely calm, like a lot of killers are.
I can imagine him driving home all serenely, classical music playing, gently puffing on a cigarette, and acting like it's all OK.
Because in his mind, it is all OK.
It's everyone else who is wrong.

I fear I might fall into the "unconditional love garbage" category. I pray I never have to face what either set of parents have had to face here. I think it would do me in.

Unconditional love is just LOVE, it doesn't mean supporting everything that person does. It means even if my kid did the worst, I'd never stop loving them, but I sure as heck would make sure they faced the consequences of their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bubbles—