Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian called it ' her little vlog'... with his little sneer. And his telltale throwaway line. ...' I gave her plenty of time'.. like as if all time is his property to dispense with...

He laid it on thick and smooth, and he'd done it a hundred times before.
I have seen this before "I let her do........................whatever'.

Agreed! I wonder if they could or should have put her on some kind of mental health hold. Maybe that's not even possible. Idk. She was definitely a total mess.

She would have needed a psychiatric evaluation (so held in a psychiatric facility, which is a lot like jail). But, in order to hold her there, she had to be a danger to herself, or others. This does not mean just using words or punching someone in the arm, it means having active means to kill oneself, running out into traffic, etc. Actually, my ex got put on one for eating oleander...

But I was surprised when I first started doing psychiatric research that, well, people who get put on holds are decidedly and flagrantly in the grips of a major (Type I) psychiatric diagnosis or otherwise extreme mental state. That was not Gabby. She smiles and says thank you for the Gatorade; she drinks it. She doesn't throw herself under a passing car (and is only noted to have been rubbing her knees and arms, a bit briskly - she grabs her own arms pretty hard at one point while standing outside - but hardly severe self harm, she looks like she's trying to hug herself hard to calm down - that's a normal stressed reaction).

Not enough for most psychiatrists to put her on a hold (it's a very serious matter).

They did. They didn't get her out the car and lift her shirt like they did BL, but they saw the scratch on her face, even touched it and touched some bruising on her arm. They asked her how it got there and at first, she said she didn't know. She guessed things like BL's fingernail from when he grabbed her face and she also said something about the backpack. She was crying, so it was hard to make out.

It would have been constructive for the female officer / ranger to examine GP more closely.

This is what happened at that stop:

Q7rS1ZA.jpg

Very striking

I haven't caught up with the thread yet, so I don't know if this has already been discussed. I saw an extended version of the interaction between GP, BL and LE when they interviewed them roadside.

Gabby was very emotional pleading with the officers to let them remain together. She didn't want to be separated from Brian. We all know that didn't happen and he spent the night in a hotel for free as victim of DV. Gabby was left with a van she didn't like to drive in an unfamiliar environment.

We've heard a lot of stories about Brian and his means to control Gabby. He has taken her ID to stop her from going out with her female friends for a night out. He has a habit of locking her out of the van. He has a habit of taking her keys. He always attempts to isolate her.

I can't even imagine the situations that occurred between the intervention by the cops and the day Brian left to go back to Florida.

Both of them seemed to be experiencing mental health crises. I have this horrible feeling that they fought many times during this period and Brian, true to form, took control of the van and left Gabby alone, extremely upset and took off.

How long he stayed away is unknown but what if when he returned Gabby wasn't there? What if she had been left for a couple of days, not knowing where he was, when he was coming back and without any means of survival? What if she died of dehydration? What if she inflicted wounds on her own body in her agony? What if he found her lifeless body and just left her there? Murder doesn't necessarily mean someone laid their hands on someone. Malice aforethought can also mean indifference to life.

Everything BL has done since his return to Florida reflects a level of guilt. Whether that is from actually murdering his girlfriend or just leaving her to stew in her own juices for an unknown period of time ends up with the same results. She's not here anymore.
Thankfully the coroner was able to save us from some of the "what if-ing." We may not know the COD yet, but we do know from the coroner's report:

Manner of death: homicide

That in and of itself means that she did not die at he own hand or of "stewing in her own juices."

She said, and she was even apologetic about if, as if she had to wear it, that he grabbed her face and dug his nails into her cheek... she was clearly showing an abrasion there.....

Now.. I hesitate to cast aspersions here, but in any community, in the Western world, and in a very large part of the non western world also, a man doing that to a woman, in the main street in broad daylight is surely an event that needs closer , possibly heavier scrutiny and would not be dismissed .
I don't know what the current social climate is in Moab, Utah.. I don't think I have ever passed thru it, although I have spent time in Salt Lake City, ( reluctantly, I admit, but not of SLC"s doing ) .. but I don't think that is the usual deportment of men in the company of women in Moab.

I could be wrong. Always a possibility.
My only reply is that I've watched both versions of the body cams. I know what she said and I know what he said, and I know what LE said. But, I don't think you know my original question. It was, what should LE have done legally different...

Re: LE in Moab not photographing bruising on GP....

While we see it from the bodycam, it might have been harder for the human eye to notice, esp. as GP was sitting in a shaded area and the LE were in/facing bright sunlight. Sometimes the human eye takes longer to adapt/see changes when looking from bright to dim to bright again.

I know the marks were mentioned during the stop but there was so much talking and walking back and forth between the officers that maybe since it wasn't blatently obvious to them (visually speaking because of the glare/shade differential), it kind of slipped through the cracks?

Not making excuses for LE neglecting that step, but just offering an idea on why it might have been skipped (or forgotten)....

Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie investigation: 2 phones seen in police body cam video from Utah incident

....Bertolino tells 8 On Your Side the FBI now has that phone. But many have been asking about Gabby Petito’s phone and whether Laundrie had a different phone while they were together on their road trip.Since the phones undoubtedly hold valuable clues, 8 On Your Side has been looking into that question. (More details at link above)

They can start with his provider. Won't get anything but I'm sure LE already has the intel. MOO

Agreed! I wonder if they could or should have put her on some kind of mental health hold. Maybe that's not even possible. Idk. She was definitely a total mess.
You know, any woman is likely to become a total mess if her partner has been slapping her around on a public street in broad daylight and then taking her phone and locking her out of her van which held all her things. How dare he.

Personally, i'd take her accounts with a grain of salt. I don't find her to be a credible witness, nor have I seen evidence of those two being "best friends". I know Rose has said this but I question it. IMO GP did not make the same claims through her posts.

Snipped by me.

But we have seen publicly released video clips and photos of the two girls together, having fun, taking selfies. What evidence do you have that they were not close friends? What more would you need to find her account credible? You don't think she would have proof of messages exchanged? How hard would it be to discredit her claimed connection with a little journalistic digging?

53f2816a-8b6f-43e4-b0b4-944c49b8f490.jpg
source:'This whole thing is just heartbreaking' - Gabby Petito’s friend says Brian Laundrie could be manipulative, controlling

rose2.png
rose1.png

source:Gabby Petito's best friend claims Brian Laundrie was jealous and controlling | Daily Mail Online

They should have arrested one of them according to the laws of Utah on DV cases.

An investigation is ongoing..
Editing this, Chief has actually taken leave of absence
Gabby Petito case: Moab, Utah police chief takes leave of absence amid investigation into handling of 911 call

Better late than never, but the "late" will come, of course, too late for Gabby, and for her grieving family -- DV rarely affects only one victim.
Maybe it will come before something really bad happens to the next DV victim.

There's a scene in "The Color Purple" where Miss Celie tells, Shug - "He beats me, because I'm not you." I believe this is the crux of this situation. For close to 7 years, Brian, the self-absorbed, isolationist narcissist tried to change the all giving and nurturing Gabby into his doppelganger. He wanted a female Brian, a hermit with a useful vagina.
But, she couldn't chuck her free spirit, love of people and desire to teach the world about caring for the world. He was as small as a cancer cell. She was as large as the universe. He could not beat her embrace of the world out of her. He could not spirit her far enough away to cut her ties to the world she truly cared to nurture. He could not brow beat her into the kind of devotion that expects nothing in return.
He wanted to flee from the world. She wanted to change the world. He wanted to abandon all ties. She wanted to share her embrace with everyone.
Gabby said no too many times to a person who tried to groom her into believing a life in handcuffs was a life liberated simply because he was doing the handcuffing. In the end, she was a failed experiment, an incendiary catalyst that ignited the rage at the heart of his iconoclasm. Like a gladiator, this happy, light-hearted, little girl withstood his attempt at brainwashing for 7 years in order to lighten his heart, heal his soul and make him fall back in love with the entirety of the world - not just the rocks, streams and mountains upon it.
In the end, his sickness proved to be both incurable and deadly.
JMHO
Wow, this is such a moving synopsis of their worlds that clashed. Thank you.

I think the context is important here, though. There's a difference between "hiking the AT" and hiking the AT. One has done some hiking on it (I fall into this category), and some have legitimately done days or weeks on the trail and are at least somewhat familiar with it. I would not expect someone used to car camping that has only done a couple of day hikes on the AT to really have the advantage that someone who has actually backpacked portions of it over many days has. And I think that's kind of the point being discussed.

I didn't think that was the point. What I was reading was someone denying multiple SM posts by BL and GP, and other people who knew them, about how many times BL especially, and sometimes GP, have hiked the AT multiple times and even for extended periods of time. The post I was replying to was saying that dayhiking is not "hiking the AT". And it certainly is. And it wasn't even an accurate post in the sense that you bring up because the OP was completely ignoring evidence from multiple sources that BL has much more experience with the AT than simply car camping.

I've hiked a lot of the AT. There is no magic or great skill involved with doing it. Many of the AT hikers I've known didn't even carry a compass and some couldn't follow a trail if it wasn't blazed every 1/4 of a mile. I've seen people doing it jeans and smoking cigarettes while hiking. Its doesn't take a survivalist to do it.

Not falsely determining Gabby was the abuser. Arresting Brian and taken Gabby to a woman's shelter, where she would have spoken to a professional who might have saved her life.
Thank you!! I don't know SOP for DV cases, but this makes sense.

Couple of thoughts from the last few pages of chatter:

* height and weight is somewhat relevant but only if she’s above average in both respects. A male of the same height and weight would still be infinitely stronger than Gabby, and a male of greater weight and height even more so.

* there may have been no court date assigned but I wonder if the experience of engaging with LE was enough to spook BL. My own personal opinion is that this is one of the reasons he might’ve gone home for a short period. I also suspect the rumours of a clear out or moving of belongings had something to do with this. If it happened.

* did Rose ever see GP hit BL or is this her repeating something she’s been told? GP seems to make excuses for him and minimises his behaviour. Those closest to her are likely to have also heard the same excuses and justifications IMO.

* if CL had seen BL prior to being interviewed I wonder why she was the one who was either put forward for media or felt comfortable speaking to media?

I can’t quote medical articles but I bruise easily and the bruises often appear within moments.

You should probably have that checked out, imo, because easy bruising (and I'm assuming you mean purple/black bruising) should not happen in moments, or even hours. If you mean temporary reddening that doesn't later turn purple/black then yellow/green, that's normal, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCSouthtrust