Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flight. Possibly. IMO
Possibly. I don't see what camping on an island will prove that just going missing won't. I'm going to give DTBH the benefit of the doubt and suspect that he would treat something that could actually be important to the case with a little more care than he gave the Monster can.

My only reply is that I've watched both versions of the body cams. I know what she said and I know what he said, and I know what LE said. But, I don't think you know my original question. It was, what should LE have done legally different...
They could have , at the very least, as a group, and in concert, one after the other said, 'Mr Laundrie , your deportment and behaviour is unacceptable in Utah, we would like to you come to the station where we can have a little longer to talk over your issues , in regard to smacking women around, as our eyewitness reported to us, on our peaceful Moab streets. After you, Mr Laundrie. '

Re: LE in Moab not photographing bruising on GP....

While we see it from the bodycam, it might have been harder for the human eye to notice, esp. as GP was sitting in a shaded area and the LE were in/facing bright sunlight. Sometimes the human eye takes longer to adapt/see changes when looking from bright to dim to bright again.

I know the marks were mentioned during the stop but there was so much talking and walking back and forth between the officers that maybe since it wasn't blatently obvious to them (visually speaking because of the glare/shade differential), it kind of slipped through the cracks?

Not making excuses for LE neglecting that step, but just offering an idea on why it might have been skipped (or forgotten)....
Then why document his scratches and not even look for hers?

Oh and I don’t believe BL is some skilled survival Bear Grylls sort. I think he’s hiding somewhere and being supported in some way. I don’t think he’s Rambo, I think he’s lucky and I think he’s benefiting from some misdirection of LE.

I bruise at the slightest thing. A tiny cat scratch will bruise. jmo
I completely get this, I have a huge bruise that looks like I have been beaten, I bumped my arm on the water cooler. Anything that touches me, I will bruise. I’ve got a few years on Gabby and Brian, but I don’t judge bruising. My arms look rough at times, but they don’t bring me any pain, and sadly if I just bump something wrong, it looks far worse than anything it is. I would check with her family and friends, see if they noticed anything. If she is low on certain vitamins, she would likely bruise more easily.

Experience and training - when we know better - we do better. Educate yourself as much as you can in the area where you live. That's why some saw the signs and had major concerns as soon as that bodycam footage was released.
I don't know, I would think that some one who is enduring a large amount of stress and got to their breaking point would look very similar to how Gabby looked in the copcam. Travelling in close quarters with nowhere to lay down and stretch out for months, no convenient place to work, looking for the next place to spend the night, rounding up water, not getting the planned work done, not able to keep things organized in the back of the van, dealing with the bugs, sleeping on tarps every night, finding a place to go to the bathroom on a daily basis, dealing with the moods of your partner with no escape, being short on money, and on and on. Life on the road in a van for an extended period of time doesn't sound like a relaxing experience. I can see someone breaking down for reasons other than DV in this case.

I don't know? that's my name! I do feel because GP said "I started it & she swatted or hit him, was her admitting guilt and they ran with it. Gabby, rip.

Once I was in a car wreck in OH. The other party came up and said to me "I'm so sorry, I didn't even see you". Because she admitted guilt right up, she paid for the accident.

I think this was a huge wrong in this PD and a lot of training or whatever needs to be addressed. jmo

Of course she did. <modsnip> She did not even tell on him and she still ended up dead.
I don't know what the point people trying to make her out as an abuser are making?
<modsnip> Because you and those <modsnip> police said she was the abuser?
<modsnip>

I'm a victim of extreme domestic violence, and while I've hidden it from friends and colleagues, I've never lied to the police that I was violent or aggressive when I wasn't. Gabby may have, but my point is that I DO understand victims of DV and that the MO of dv victims is NOT in lock step. Your experience is different then mine and ours is different than others. In this case, we have no idea but a single video.

eta: not a victim. I could have left, and I didn't. That's on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Two witnesses, GP and BL all had the same story. GP is dead, most likely because the situation escalated unexpectedly and she did not get out of a toxic relationship on her own or through intervention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Experience and training - when we know better - we do better. Educate yourself as much as you can in the area where you live. That's why some saw the signs and had major concerns as soon as that bodycam footage was released.
I don't know, I would think that some one who is enduring a large amount of stress and had reached their breaking point would look very similar to how Gabby looked in the copcam. Travelling in close quarters with nowhere to lay down and stretch out for months, no convenient place to work, looking for the next place to spend the night, rounding up water, not getting the planned work done, not able to keep things organized in the back of the van, dealing with the bugs, sleeping on tarps every night, finding a place to go to the bathroom on a daily basis, dealing with the moods of your partner with no escape, being short on money, bring pulled over by the cops. and on and on. Life on the road in a van for an extended period of time doesn't sound like a relaxing experience. I can see someone breaking down for reasons other than DV in this case.

But isn't a lot of the presumption of chronic DV coming from statements that Rose made?

Whether violence and abuse was chronic or a new feature is only minimally relevant at this point. Maybe it started (for discussion's sake) on 8/12. What of it? If it went from 0 to hitting her in the street, that's a pretty jarring development. Whatever the length or trajectory, the plane was broken. Add to that his other observed abusive behaviors, and you don't need any statement from Rose either way (though corroboration is always of note).

You know, you're 100% right. I cannot confirm much of what i've read. For that, she deserves the benefit of the doubt. Thank you @kittythehare for making me reevaluate her.
I hope and pray, and always have that she had at least one friend in whom she confided fully. We do not know if that is the case or not.
We do know that she was well loved and very popular so it's possible she had home friends who have not spoken publicly, to their credit.

Who did she confide in during the week he was away? Had she anybody?
We simply do not know.

???? Don't understand that at all. Okay, so MOO - if he's caught, he's being held. He's not being released. They're gonna hold him. This will be granted https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.wyd.59306/gov.uscourts.wyd.59306.2.0.pdf IMO

And, MOO and IMO, processing the can or the plastic bottle that he had in the video that was in the post I replied to, may or may not yield anything of value. But, if it does, and he can't establish chain of custody and/or if it is contaminated, it's utterly useless and out. MOO

You don't understand that if they have actual custody of BL that the trail he left behind from his parents house to where they caught him isn't really important to convict him of GP's murder? If LE doesn't have enough evidence to get him convicted, then knowing what food he carried with him while on the run isn't going to do it.

Is there a link for the handprints on the arm? Tbis is the first I heard about that. I think the officer did notice something on her arm that she said was from her backpack--maybe when she was climbing into the van window?

This is from the Fox 13 1st full body cam:
Cut on top of right hand, blanched finger marks on right arm above elbow
gabby1.png

Scratch on left cheek
gabby2.png

None of which were noted down or photo-documented in the police report, even though they clearly discuss it on the body cam and with Gabby.

Apparently in the 2nd body cam they discuss her marks too? I haven't watched it yet. The first was triggering enough.

Source for the screenshots above, note that I included timestamps so you can check for yourself:

Attachments

• gabby2.png
    gabby2.png
    382.6 KB · Views: 89
I hope and pray, and always have that she had at least one friend in whom she confided fully. We do not know if that is the case or not.
We do know that she was well loved and very popular so it's possible she had home friends who have not spoken publicly, to their credit.

Who did she confide in during the week he was away? Had she anybody?
We simply do not know.

I worry that it might’ve been his parents. His mother, specifically.

Do we know who she called from the police car yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214