Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #50

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies, gentlemen, and everyone is between:
Y'all are making this a whole lot more complicated than it could possibly be, BL isn't that smart.

Let me remind you of the wisdom of Benjamin Franklin (the most American American to ever American): Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead.

There isn't some huge family-wide conspiracy. Most of us can barely get along with our immediate families under stressful situations, never mind extended family. While I might not sell out my brother for most things, if he returned home under these circumstances, I'd give him a day to give me a good reason why I shouldn't turn him in. I'd owe him a day, he'd give me the same courtesy. Of my varied cousins, there's only one I wouldn't gleefully turn in for even a minor crime, they'd rat me out, too. My own daughter would find herself cuffed to a chair at the police station if she came home under these circumstances.

I'm not sure how long the Laundrie's have been in South Florida, but it certainly hasn't been long enough to build the strong ties with the community to have the resources to pull off some big convoluted conspiracy. His parents certainly helped him get away, but probably can't anymore. Even if it hasn't been stated publicly, the FBI has probably already gotten the warrants to dig through the parents digital tracks and we know agents are following them around being ridiculously obvious. Whatever cash Brian had when he took off is all there is going to be, no one can Western Union him more. Even if he has a burner, which I think he probably does, he can't risk contacting his parents because the FBI is sitting on top of them.

I don't think it's going to be too long before he turns up. The stress and solitude will get to him and he'll mess up.

The stranger wanted to know how to get to California (the State I assume) and the witness wasn't in California NC, he was along the AT parking his car for the night, on the TN - NC border.

It's very interesting she would say that. I definitely would not expect her mother to downplay that incident.

IF GP did indeed call her during the incident as has been reported, and IF NS said something like what she's saying now (spat from traveling in close quarters etc) psychologically NP probably has to see the incident as unrelated to GP's death. Otherwise she might feel she should have said something different to GP, that maybe she could have changed the outcome if she had. I don't think she could have but I also don't think the cops who didn't make an arrest could have changed the outcome. But the guilt would eat NP alive thinking what if.
JMO

What are their choices of behavior? What would be normal? Best case scenario for them, their son is found only to stand trial for a charge that may very well get him killed anyway. He effectively killed their son along with their future DIL. No matter what kind of parents they were or actions they've taken, they didn't kill GP. They didn't deserve all this. They don't want it. No matter what they do now, they're screwed. Gardening is probably just a distraction from the hell that is their life. JMO

I get what you're saying, I truly do.

This whole case is so baffling to me.

I genuinely go from one minute being completely appalled by the behaviour of the parents, to the next minute feeling sorry for them, and then back to appalled again.

This case is an emotional roller-coaster.

Please tell me it's not just me that feels like this!? :eek:

The website for Carlton Reserve says that it is currently closed. Are they still actively searching there? Or is the website wrong?

October 2, 2021 10:26am (but it is an updated article, so it could be old news)

The FBI’s search of the Carlton Reserve, a 25,000-acre, alligator-infested nature preserve near the Laundrie’s North Port home continues, though it has been scaled back.
K9 search expert: Promising clues emerge in hunt for Brian Laundrie

I don't think the Carlton Reserve website will be wrong. They got the closure info onto it pretty quickly. I think they'll get the closure info off it just as fast.
People have their trailcams there and have interests in visiting the reserve.

It sure would be nice if the media could let us know what is going on with the FBI search. Are they still entering the reserve each day? Are they still air-searching the area?

Last edited:
I get what you're saying, I truly do.

This whole case is so baffling to me.

I genuinely go from one minute being completely appalled by the behaviour of the parents, to the next minute feeling sorry for them, and then back to appalled again.

This case is an emotional roller-coaster.

Please tell me it's not just me that feels like this!? :eek:

Not emotionally, I don't change, but mentally I find myself understanding them all, too well, and too much. It's like once my mind turns that corner to where I can see where everyone is coming from, you know, Then I cannot judge anyone.... i can only understand them.

It may seem callous and like Gabby's mom is downplaying what happened. But it sounds to me like she's only commenting on what she knows about their relationship. I never questioned this.
She also didn't know that her daughter would be found dead. I think they still had hope that Brian had just left her stranded and she would be found alive. Imo

What are their choices of behavior? What would be normal? Best case scenario for them, their son is found only to stand trial for a charge that may very well get him killed anyway. He effectively killed their son along with their future DIL. No matter what kind of parents they were or actions they've taken, they didn't kill GP. They didn't deserve all this. They don't want it. No matter what they do now, they're screwed. Gardening is probably just a distraction from the hell that is their life. JMO
They have had to deal with whatever his disorder is all his life, probably. And be the fixers. They are probably so accustomed to his weirdness that not much surprises them. Probably didn't expect him to murder his girlfriend...but to lie about where she is and what happened and run from the responsibility.....is just par for the course. Maybe they are all cried out, and numb. jmo

She also didn't know that her daughter would be found dead. I think they still had hope that Brian had just left her stranded and she would be found alive. Imo
Maybe it is just too painful for her to think of her daughter going through that right now.
I certainly can understand that. Jmo

There have been a few threads that I haven't been able to fully read in this case, so I may have missed it, but have we discussed his distinctive gait? I ignored the clips posted all over Twitter (though the duck sounds were funny), but I just spent some time going through all of their social media and both of the body cam videos, and while it's not always that pronounced, it is a distinctive gait. Shouldn't that be easier to track and identify? Shouldn't it be noted on all of BOLOs? I'm so frustrated that he is still at large, whatever state he is in (location or physical).
I am duck footed, so I had ignored the videos…..thinking it wasn’t a big deal. I saw one today, and it’s EXTREME. It almost seems like something is wrong with his hips too. Like his upper thighs were stuck together. It was very odd.

Last edited:
HOW on earth can BL's parents be so calm when their son is out there being hunted!? Literally.

Time and time again I ask myself this, and time and time again I draw the same conclusion: they're not worried because they think they don't need to worry because they know he's safe somewhere.

They're chilling out gardening today in North Port whilst bounty hunters are talking about shooting their son dead!!

It is absolutely beyond belief, and utterly defies logic as far as how parents should be reacting!!

Sorry for all the exclamation marks, but I just cannot fathom their behaviour and apparent indifference and disregard for his welfare. I wonder if their behaviour towards him has always been this cold?

Even if I had secured my 'on the run son' some kind of safe house or bolt hole he was laying low in, I'd still be freaking out every minute of the day worrying that someone had tracked him down somehow.

I can only conclude they have very regular contact with him to allay any concerns they may have - but how!? How are they managing to maintain contact when they're being smothered by LE and the media??

JMO

I have the same reaction. And I know the easy counter-comment is "on the advice of their attorney"/keeping up appearances, etc. But there is nfw, if my hypothetical son were wanted by the FBI, the subject of a multi-jurisdictional manhunt relating to the suspicious homicide of his girlfriend, that I would just go outside and start weeding like just another early fall day. ESPECIALLY if I had the slightest concern about his health or safety.

And fwiw, I am an attorney and was previously married to a prosecutor. I understand legal strategy & tactics, and also how investigations and prosecutions work. I am pretty sanguine and have a lot of grit & grace under pressure.

The Laundries' behavior is beyond.

I do understand the need to get outside and stretch/move. But it's not exactly been a year of being cooped up, so not that unendurable.

It's just so peculiar and tonedeaf besides.

I don't know how to carry a post over from the previous thread, but thank you @Jurisprudence and @Loveallmyhorsesdogsandcats for clarifying and further explaining "premeditation" in criminal cases.

So, if I understand correctly: the amount of time spent 'planning' the act beforehand is irrelevant when it comes to a premeditated crime?

Even if the perpetrator decided only a nanosecond before killing someone that that was what they were going to do, it would still be classed as premeditation?

Wouldn't that make ALL crimes premeditated?

It would make terms like "a crime of passion" null and void, right?

I'm thinking of this in terms of any potential defense of BL, should he be charged with GP's murder.

Could BL's lawyer claim it was a crime of passion on the grounds of provocation? I imagine a defence lawyer will absolutely use the scratches on BL's face during the Moab traffic stop to their advantage too.

Crime of Passion

MOO
This makes sense, I don’t think you are wrong. What I have read is it varies by state and is a fine line of distinction. If I were on a jury I would lean towards a decision made is premeditated.

Something I just thought about: (storage locker post somebody made led me ponder this)

We have focused a LOT on communications between GP and her family.

and a LOT on communications with BL and his family after he got to Florida Sep 1st.

Let's imagine for a moment...

BL is in a hotel for the night (from the police stop), and police just told him he is victim. Now, if you were BL, would you call your parents and/or sister and tell them what happened? After all, it would make you look like the good guy. As unbelievable a story as that was, I'm wondering what communications went on between BL and his parents after that stop.

specifically: Did he call his parents and discuss the police stop?
Did the parents then say: You had better come home and clear that storage unit? for some reason?

Then he made plans to go home and clear the storage unit?

What would/could be the reason to clear the storage unit? (as said earlier, his airfare would have probably paid for the unit, so it probably wasn't about costs.)

Were the storage locker unit and the possessions in it something we overlooked as important?

Was emptying the storage unit a calculated move for something other than saving the rental costs?

What was in the unit that BL possibly needed to control, and why?

Why leave in the middle of a cross country trip to spend money (that you just told police officers you did not have) to empty a storage unit? (not to mention the money spent on GP being in a hotel during that time)

Could the Laundrie parents have been coaching BL since the police stop instead of since Sep 1st? BL got the money to fly home from somewhere.

Any way to roughly calculate when the things went in the storage unit?

Something smells...

thanks to the OP (@lonetraveler) for bringing up the storage unit!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member