Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Gabby and Brian seemed unreasonably fearful about the other running off with the van/phones, etc. Their fear seems out of proportion to the consequences if that had happened. They were staying in popular, heavily visited places. If one of them had left the other stranded, the only way a worst case scenario plays out is if they didn't ask for help. Anyone have any insight on this?

Yes, he made that statement but imo I don't think he was worried about it or fearful of it happening. I think he loved terrorizing her with that threat. Even if she said it once or often, I doubt she would have actually left him there, BL on the hand, he would have and he would have left her out there alone for a while before returning.

JMO

The potential sighting by the hike brings anther possibility to light. Everyone has been operating under the assumption that he's traveling by foot, but if he's driving, then that really reinforces the idea he could be anywhere and would be a good reason why they haven't been able to find him in Florida.

I respectfully disagree. She had a very real terror of being abandoned, imo. I would be. Think about being her age, left out in the pitch black night all alone with no phone, no shelter, possibly near bears and other wild animals. Maybe some dangerous loner attacking and raping you. Every sound and movement terrifying. That tiny young girl. It was sadistic of him to repeatedly torture her that way, IMO. He DID put her in danger. That abuse from him is the major reason she was always so frightened and nervous, IMHO.
Just imagine being constantly terrified for your very safety.
I truly believe she could no longer endure the torture and threat.
I have always believed that poor Gabby was already dead when the YouTuber took that van video. Now that I have seen the crime scene I am not so sure.
BL is lazy. Would he really carry her dead weight all the way across the creek?
Idk, but it is absolutely evil what he did. All of this is just my honest opinion, nothing more.
1,000% agree. MOO - Think the witness accounts, coupled with her refusing to walk away from her van, her phone, and her personal belongings in the van, put this clearly into focus. Then her own words on body cam 2 - she did not want to be separated even after all that occurred. She was just as terrified of being abandoned as she was being left alone to find her own way home. None the fear was out a love loss for or by him in MOO.

Last edited:
I found this engineer to be very credible, too. I read the transcript provided by another Websleuther (thank you!!). He may be right and he may be wrong, but I believe he is convinced that the guy in the white truck was Brian Laundrie, and this sighting should be taken seriously. I thought the part about the profile was very interesting as well.

Now, as far as the truck driver's (BL?) demeanor and bizarre comments regarding California and taking the road he was on to get there, is it possible that BL could be dehydrated enough to exhibit such behavior? I'm not sure why a young, ambulatory man WITH transportation would allow himself to get that dehydrated, but I know the condition can cause some very confused and bizarre speech and actions. MOO

is there a such thing as California, North Carolina?

There are some people here on WS who think BL might still be inside his parents' house. That's how crazy this case is. <modsnip>, because if the FBI can't get to him inside that house (so far), and is behaving as if he isn't there, it's unlikely the randos with bullhorns and shouting are going to get the family to cooperate with LE.

I do think people like showing up in videos on Twitter, though. A lot. I used to follow a lot of celebrity trials and was amazed to show up for 1-2 days of trial watching or trial crowd watching if I couldn't get in, and see the same people - even if it was in a different state. I was taking notes (this was before cell phones) and had a little digital camera. I came up with names for these characters, so I could note how many times I saw them. Some of them just wouldn't quit and I'd see them on TV in other states, at another celebrity trial.

Crime groupies are a thing. There is crime tourism, for example.
(regarding the hysterical people yelling at BL's house as if he's inside)
I understand the passion and curiosity. It's why we read this. But the ignorance is scary. Do they actually believe that BL could be hiding in the house and the FBI wouldn't know it and couldn't search it?

I think a lot here would be surprised at the stories some of us could tell. I think that's why there is so much interest in the case and empathy for Gabby. A lot of us relate, more than we wish we did. IMOE

I find most of my women friends relate to Gabby and see themselves as her, experiencing abuse over again and LE not taking it seriously enough.
Most women have experienced what Gabby has, unfortunately, the physical, emotional, mental abuse not homicide part.

I lost my reply posts during the previous thread close.

To @samiam33: I doubt the person who stopped for directions has any idea someone is telling the story of the occurence.

Reply: To my knowledge based on posts by members this morning, this has now been picked up by national news outlets. IMO if I'm that guy, I'm speaking up. And, I'm speaking up quick before they find me. MOO

To @rosesfromangels: Or he truly believes that's all that happened.
Not trying to give this guy a hall pass of any sort, but I truly think he will be declared incompetent to stand trial. From various bits of info that is emerging, it sounds like he has been unwell for awhile. Likely GP and the parents held him together, until they couldn't any more. All amateur opinion and speculation

Reply: MOO, I think that will be a tall order, as would an insanity defense. It depends on the jurisdiction. If the jurisdiction follows the M'naughten (McNaughten) Rule the issue hinges not on whether he suffers from some form of mental incapacity, but rather only whether he knew that what he was doing at the time was wrong. MOO Not fact.
M'naughten Rule

*M'Naghten :)

Federal courts have a standard that is more or less M'Naghten. It means that the defense must show by clear and convincing evidence that the person, at the time of taking the action, either didn't know what they were doing or didn't know that what they were doing was wrong at the time of doing it.

Insanity defense
Above includes this wrt Federal approach:

"The federal insanity defense now requires the defendant to prove, by "clear and convincing evidence," that "at the time of the commission of the acts constituting the offense, the defendant, as a result of a severe mental disease or defect, was unable to appreciate the nature and quality or the wrongfulness of his acts" (18 U.S.C. § 17). This is generally viewed as a return to the "knowing right from wrong" standard. The Act also contained the Insanity Defense Reform Act of 1984, 18 U.S.C. § 4241, which sets out sentencing and other provisions for dealing with offenders who are or have been suffering from a mental disease or defect."

(regarding the hysterical people yelling at BL's house as if he's inside)
I understand the passion and curiosity. It's why we read this. But the ignorance is scary. Do they actually believe that BL could be hiding in the house and the FBI wouldn't know it and couldn't search it?
Not sure what these folks believe. Do they think the Parents are going to come out for a lovely chat :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l