Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to write a breakdown of her behavior because there seems to be a whole lot of confusion about how she could be the abused one when he has marks on him, but I don’t have time right now.

I’ll just say this- within seconds of that video, I (a prior victim and trained 911 dispatcher) knew that she was the victim. She takes responsibility for the entire argument, protects him, seems extremely overwhelmed, talks about him holding her face (a hold can be much more violent than a slap), has a story that is inconsistent with his in minor but key ways that would indicate the abuse is towards her- locking her out of the vehicle, for example, vs his insistence they were both going to take a walk.

He immediately turns off any sign of being upset and becomes very charming and jokes around with the officers in a situation that is EXTREMELY stressful and should be extremely stressful.

Victims of gaslighting and emotional abuse will seem extremely upset, overwhelmed, take responsibility for things they have no control over, while their abusers make comments about how “it’s not my fault because I can’t control x situation” (“I have dirty feet ‍♀️).

I AM looking at this through the biased lens of a victim, but I gave Brian the benefit of the doubt until I saw that video. If you read between the lines and evaluate everything that was said by either person and the manner in which it was said, IMHO it becomes very clear that she, not Brian, is the victim.

If I'd been hit in the face with a cell phone, had my arm punched while I was driving and the steering wheel grabbed causing me to hit the curb, I'm coming out of that van in a towering rage cussing a blue streak and there would be no question where I'd be spending the night.

But he didn't. He was...forbearing. He wasn't angry. She just didn't like the flies and the sand and the dirt and he had moved the food. Everybody knows food is supposed to stay put.

I can't imagine my daughter hitting and scratching someone, but if she did, I pray she would be treated the way he treated her right then. I don't know what happened after that.

It's interesting that September 1st is stated as the definitive date that Brian returned. I wonder how LE knows this? Maybe a neighbor, or is there some cell phone info?
Being semi-retired I have the time to read all of these threads completely through and all I can say is, I would hate to be a moderator of this forum. Its like people are putting together a giant puzzle and guessing at what it is. Some people keep throwing in pieces from an other puzzle, some are tearing pieces into the shape they need to fit the picture they want to see. Others look at 3 pieces and declare that the puzzle is picture of a sailboat when its clear from the actual pieces already put together that its the interior of a room. People throw around statements as established "fact" and base their whole conclusion on it when there is no such fact at all. Like no one knows when BL actually contacted a lawyer. It could have been the 1st or the 10th or even when the first contact with police was made. We just don't know. And there are so many people basing their opinions on what they would have done without any ability to imagine what other actions someone else would have taken.

But this thread does have a lot of good comments from reasonable, knowledgeable people who are keeping up with the actual facts and offering quality information and/or perspectives. I have found this page to be the fastest way to keep up on things, but its tough to read through all the clutter to do it.

Well, it is a crime discussion website, so it is the place to toss out thoughts and ideas. Further, a young girl's life is on the line. Maybe someone here can help in some small way. imo.

cannot read this as I am in Europe and it is blocked to me.

"(NBC News) — Witnesses are beginning to provide pieces of the puzzle as investigators search for clues in the disappearance of North Port woman Gabby Petito.

Petito, 22, left New York to embark on a cross-country trip with her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, 23. She last contacted her family around the end of August, when the couple was visiting Wyoming’s Grand Teton National Park.

Cops ‘not ruling out’ potential link between Gabby Petito’s disappearance, Utah couple’s murder

On Thursday, police in Moab, Utah, released body camera video showing officers pull over their van at Arches National Park after a witness reported seeing them arguing and hitting each other. The video shows Petito trying to explain what sparked the argument and Laundrie talk to police. The couple agreed to give each other space and spend the night apart. No arrests were made.

Laundrie returned to their North Port, Florida home without Petito on Sept. 1. He is considered a person of interest in the case, according to police.

Now authorities in Wyoming are searching Grand Teton National Park, the last place she was seen.

Shannon Baker said she spotted the couple’s van on Aug. 25 and contacted police.

“It had the black ladder on the back and the two black rooftops on top—the two bars—and we made the comment that would be the perfect little camper van to go around in,” Baker said.

Investigators are hoping more people come forward with information regarding the case.

“You never know what you’ve got in a photo,” said Teton County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Clayton Platt. “Low and behold there was a van that matches the description of this van in this case. All those little pieces can be pieces in the puzzle to help us figure out where Gabby is.”

Multiple agencies, including the FBI, local police and the National Park Service are working together to aid in the investigation."

im not sure if anyone cares but i live with someone with OCD and when they are struggling they can tend to do 2 different things, become depressed or lash out

when i saw all the uncontrollable tears it instantly looked like the person i live with when they are having a tough day and have lost control or whatever situation they think they have lost control off and is firing their OCD

just my opinion

Exactly. To blame a victim is to silence the victim. Blame shifting empowers the abuser, who then bullies his way into control, creating sympathy for himself. Brian is attempting to lessen his guilt by putting Gabby on public trial. Just how far will Brian go to lessen the guilt he feels? Is he feeling a need to justify his actions?
<modsnip> I don't get it. Gabby is missing. BL is home with mommy and daddy. sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to write a breakdown of her behavior because there seems to be a whole lot of confusion about how she could be the abused one when he has marks on him, but I don’t have time right now.

I’ll just say this- within seconds of that video, I (a prior victim and trained 911 dispatcher) knew that she was the victim. She takes responsibility for the entire argument, protects him, seems extremely overwhelmed, talks about him holding her face (a hold can be much more violent than a slap), has a story that is inconsistent with his in minor but key ways that would indicate the abuse is towards her- locking her out of the vehicle, for example, vs his insistence they were both going to take a walk.

He immediately turns off any sign of being upset and becomes very charming and jokes around with the officers in a situation that is EXTREMELY stressful and should be extremely stressful.

Victims of gaslighting and emotional abuse will seem extremely upset, overwhelmed, take responsibility for things they have no control over, while their abusers make comments about how “it’s not my fault because I can’t control x situation” (“I have dirty feet ‍♀️).

I AM looking at this through the biased lens of a victim, but I gave Brian the benefit of the doubt until I saw that video. If you read between the lines and evaluate everything that was said by either person and the manner in which it was said, IMHO it becomes very clear that she, not Brian, is the victim.
Thank you for your post. IMO the officer completely disregarded her and focused on BL with an attitude of "a chick's gonna do what a chick's gonna do". While I think it was good that LE did not pursue any charges, I feel they dropped the ball with regard to her welfare.

It's interesting that September 1st is stated as the definitive date that Brian returned. I wonder how LE knows this? Maybe a neighbor, or is there some cell phone info?
they probably have his flight information by now....
JMO

ETA - he drove home - he did not fly - so they may have video from the neighbors? or they may know where his phone is if they have a warrant for the pings? good question @brookesmith

Last edited:
If I'd been hit in the face with a cell phone, had my arm punched while I was driving and the steering wheel grabbed causing me to hit the curb, I'm coming out of that van in a towering rage cussing a blue streak and there would be no question where I'd be spending the night.

But he didn't. He was...forbearing. He wasn't angry. She just didn't like the flies and the sand and the dirt and he had moved the food. Everybody knows food is supposed to stay put.

I can't imagine my daughter hitting and scratching someone, but if she did, I pray she would be treated the way he treated her right then. I don't know what happened after that.

If your daughter was treated like he treated Gabby, she would be a victim of DV.

But didn’t Petito herself admit on the bodycam footage that the reason she was hitting him (while driving) was because “he wouldn’t stop telling her to calm down”? Not because he was taking the car or worried he would steal it/abandon her.

And she also admitted that she “may have” touched the steering wheel and tried to get him to pull over because there was cops behind them and she called him an idiot. That would explain the sharp swerve made when they pulled over. Petito caused that too. Maybe.

And Isn’t it possible that he was in a situation where he was in a fight with a manic woman AND trying to drive and you don’t always react to everything happening quickly enough (like cops being behind you).

- I am still very open minded to this case. He could have killed her purposely, by accident, he could have just plainly went home and left her, she could have left him and then disappeared, she could have been kidnapped by the lesbian couple’s murderer, and then there’s aliens. There’s always aliens. I say that half jokingly (see Skywalker Ranch and other NP missing persons reports). -

As always, IMO

Love your post. Your sense of humor sounds similar to mine…..as well as interests(read many books on skinwalker ranch/UAP phenomenon etc). There’s always someone out there to say “aliens”.

And then there is that whole “Missing 411” stuff where many people have gone missing without a trace in national parks for decades. Also don’t think that’s at play in this case…..but it’s also not out of the realm of possibilities. My gut feeling thus far is this is an Occam’s razor case. There’s a reason why the b/f lawyered up and isn’t talking. At all. Moo.

Last edited:

Being angry over this behavior IS the normal reaction. The only person who doesn’t get mad is somebody who views these as menial “tantrums” from their victims and can turn on charm for police officers.

This is why so many women aren’t believed when they say their partner is an abuser. Because the partner is charming. Being the one with injuries does NOT make Brian the abused party. It makes Gabby a suspect, but remember that she was never charged and is also innocent until proven guilty.

Adding to that, only one of them came home, making Gabby the automatic victim.

That statement stuck out to me too! Very telling!

I can't find the original poster's "quote," but what Brian actually said in the video is "I hope she doesn't have too many complaints about me," not that he hoped she wouldn't tell on him or whatever was alleged. He mentioned she didn't like his dirty feet and getting sand in the van and his moving the food.

You are only seeing things on the surface. Of course he is downplaying everything in front of the cops. If, as it seems, Gabby scratched him and hit him, he should have left her and gone home. But he didn't. You say "I don't know what happened after that". Let me tell you what I think happened. IMO he killed her.

But didn’t Petito herself admit on the bodycam footage that the reason she was hitting him (while driving) was because “he wouldn’t stop telling her to calm down”? Not because he was taking the car or worried he would steal it/abandon her.

And she also admitted that she “may have” touched the steering wheel and tried to get him to pull over because there was cops behind them and she called him an idiot. That would explain the sharp swerve made when they pulled over. Petito caused that too. Maybe.

And Isn’t it possible that he was in a situation where he was in a fight with a manic woman AND trying to drive and you don’t always react to everything happening quickly enough (like cops being behind you).

- I am still very open minded to this case. He could have killed her purposely, by accident, he could have just plainly went home and left her, she could have left him and then disappeared, she could have been kidnapped by the lesbian couple’s murderer, and then there’s aliens. There’s always aliens. I say that half jokingly (see Skywalker Ranch and other NP missing persons reports). -

As always, IMO
IIRC she said, twice, she did not pull on the steering wheel. Their stories clearly contradicted each other, as he blames her for his hitting the curb at high velocity. Who chose to travel at high velocity? Even the cop said to him......did she also step on the gas to make you speed?

He hung her bookbag out back of her vehicle and tried to drive away with all her belongings, literally theft of an auto.

None of us know which, or both, (or neither) of them were "manic". The phrasing "fight with a manic woman" is unfortunately a demeaning cliche, IMO. IIRC BL actually told the cops "she is crazy".

She was trying to get him to pull over because he was evading the police. Had an accident occurred it would have been in an auto registered in her name, with insurance in her name (and possibly have caused her own death) had he flipped the van over while being pursued by the police. Had she lived from the possible high velocity accident, she could have been in deep trouble had his excessive speed, and evasion of the police been at fault.

I've seen several posts downplaying his excessive speed and evasion of the police. Parks always have low velocity laws because people go to parks to see animals, see vegetation, and they should be, and ARE, legally protected from some upset guy driving at high raging speed.

IMO he was driving illegally to scare her. A tool many here have personally witnessed, a tool a spineless person uses to control another through fear.

Yes, yes, and yes. If you have been a prior victim, then that video was clear as day who the victim is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member