Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #62

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was of that mind too initially. Horrified that they didn’t let Gabby’s family know that BL and van were in Fl. But now with all this info released, it wouldn’t have made much difference. They had no good news to report. You think her family would have felt better if they knew earlier and said , “oh, appears our son strangled her and left her in the Tetons”? No, it would not.

This was a no win situation. That Gabby is dead is the tragedy snd the pain to her family.

Right now, getting BL into custody is what’s important. See what the case is against him snd proceed

BBM
IMO
MOO
It would indeed have made a world of difference if they had all that information earlier. It's always better in any investigation to have any information as soon as possible.

It would've made a difference to the family. To the investigation. To the autopsy. To the evidence.

The family would've been put out of their misery of not knowing where she was, and moved onto the next step sooner.

Timelines and memories might be clearer.

More evidence from many sources might have been available that is lost now.

MOO

Clearly, from eyewitness reports, BL was furious at the restaurant when he went back in to continue to argue "aggressively" with the staff 4 different times. Gabby was crying, she went back in and apologized to the restaurant. I imagine BL would feel undermined by her, making him even more furious. That argument may have continued, between him and Gabby now, his frustration and fury growing. He snapped and got physical. People break things, throw things, and murder in the heat of the moment. Total regret after. Very possible. So, so incredibly tragic.

Fleeing as BL has done can be used to establish consciousness of guilt. This what OJ Simpson was up against with the Branco chase. The prosecutors were trying to use it to show consciousness of guilt, but defense argued he was going to visit Nicole's grave.
I can't help but be reminded of The Gardener's post regarding OJ visiting Nicole's grave and kicking it. I'm guessing that was a different visit.

It doesn't matter. The statute clearly says the state retains civil and criminal jurisdiction in national forests established in their state, except when the offense is against the United States.

Link, please.

So sorry to hear the news, although I'm not surprised. Many young women are killed by their domestic partners daily and have been since the beginning of time.

It's sad that another beautiful, bright woman won't be living her life and chasing her dreams any longer because of some sociopath boyfriend IMO.

Truly thankful that Gabby is finally going home to her family.

MOO

He had more than 36 hours to play with, though. More like 60. So most likely he did stop and rest few times. Even if it was just pulling over in the van. Otherwise he would have gotten to North Port well before 10:30am on Sept 1st. I am not a doctor, but I doubt that someone would be able to function in a heightened state of adrenaline for that long a period of time. Usually it lasts up to an hour. Things like adrenaline crash, and adrenaline exhaustion can happen. And we know he visited with Cassie and the kids on the same day he came back, on Sept 1st. JMO.
Where did the 60 come from? I’m just trying to follow what you’re saying :)

I pray his DNA was under her fingernails and the public is not privy at this juncture. Need help here, if this was the case, would FBI now issue him as a murder suspect based on DNA?
Not sure that would seal the deal. Could go either way.
MOO.

Can we take a minute to discuss how hard it is to strangle someone to death? It's not like on TV. They pass out long before they die. So he would have to have continued to choke her for a couple of minutes after she stopped fighting. It's hard to call this kind of manual strangulation rage/crime of passion because a strangler does have to put so much effort into it.
I hope she scratched the out of him and had copious amounts of his skin under her nails.

Gabby Petito autopsy: Expert weigh in after coroner's 'manual strangulation' ruling

<Snip>

Dr. Cyril Wecht has been involved in some of the country’s most high-profile death investigations, including those involving President John F. Kennedy and JonBenét Ramsey. He spoke to Fox News Digital on Tuesday, immediately following Teton County Coroner Dr. Brent Blue’s press conference and the office’s subsequent announcement that Petito died from "death by manual strangulation/throttling."

Sign of manual strangulation, compared to ligature strangulation, would typically still be detected on a body that had been exposed to the elements for so long, Wecht said Tuesday when reached by phone. Wecht spoke to Fox before the Teton County Coroner’s office released the official cause of death determination document, and was predicting at the time that Petito, 22, had died from manual strangulation.

"Manual strangulation produces more anatomical injuries than ligature ... you can strangle someone with the ligature without breaking anything underneath," Wecht said. "Ligature, he would not have been able to make that determination after three or four weeks because the soft tissues would have been decomposed and shrunken, dehydrated and the ligature, if there was one, might or might not have still been in place."

Wecht added that there would have had to be "anatomical defects of one or more fractures to the structures in the neck."

<Snip>

"They brought in experts, or the FBI did. Anthropology and radiology and entomology and toxicology, as well as, of course, the forensic pathology."

Speaking generally, Wecht said some signs that typically point to strangulation include fractures or defects of the hyoid bone, thyroid cartilage, and, in men, the Adam’s apple, among other structures in the neck.

He added that entomology, toxicology have "nothing to do with strangulation."

"Hi doctor my question. Did you seek the advice of forensic entomologist or forensic botanists during the course of your investigation?"

"Uh The FBI has sent materials to a forensic entomologists."

(transcript: Gabby Petito's cause of death released)

It was not clear to me that the results and findings of the entomologists were complete. They're down in Quantico. This testing and examination could still be going on and it could provide great insight into time of death. MOO

I think we may safely deduce that she died between Aug 27-30. Probably closer to Aug 27.

Brian was on the road and using her bank card on Aug 30. Also Gabby's mom thought her Aug 27 text message was "odd" (as well as another text on Aug 30). So the restaruant sighting around midday Aug 27 was the last known live sighting. Then Aug 28 -29 witnesses confirm Brian hitchhiking.

Add in information that only the coroner and LE are privy to (autopsy details/investigation/entomology, phone data, bank card data, etc) and I would think they can further narrow down the time of death to a small range of hours.

I personally believe he killed her Aug 27, sometime after the midday restaurant fight, and prior to the Bethune dashcam video on Aug 27 just before sunset.

Lacking all the FBI's evidence on this limited set i'd agree 100% likely he killed her. The video that captured the van near the scene she's either dead or was soon to be.

My concern does not lay with lining Gabby's death up with BL's movements.
My concern lays with reasonable doubt, presented to the jury, that another could have been involved - with that wide of a time of death.

One thing i questioned from the get-go was the last celluar contact from his phone in middle of nowhere california. The number of hours to drive it was crazy. Van's at the scene on what the 28th? that's now 4 days minimum, even more if he had already killed her and left shortly after that couple caught the van on video. He arrived what 9/1 in Florida?

From there omg. a fiasco. what does or doesn't he divulge. Why the lawyer, something he said caused that. Why in the world would he take the van all the way back? Everything's surely pointing this way. Wonder what's causing the Feds to hold back.

Manual strangulation = no ligature, tools, ropes, clothing was used. Just the strength of one human upon another, by use of a part of their body (arm round neck, choke hold, kneeling on neck etc)

Throttling = a form of manual strangulation when using just the hands on the throat.

From this I deduce Gabby was killed by someone strangling her with their hands around her throat. :( It pains me to type that.

MOO

I can't imagine GP or any other suffering this. This is absolutely brutal way to go out, clubbing like a baby seal would seem tame in comparison and more humane. Everything points to BL, I'm really hoping the FBI starts saying something soon. The killer deserves to be captured alive and there should be enough evidence to keep the death sentence ON the table.

I'm changing the current subject here.

I've been trying to put together a "timeline" between the last time Gabby was seen to Brian arriving in North Port, FL. and here is what I have come up with. If I have any information wrong, please speak up. Some of the information is my opinion, some gotten from the WS posted timeline, and some from media articles that I have summarized/reduced for clarity (which I have not linked). Mods, delete if this is not o.k.

AUG 27 – Couple seen at Merry Piglets in Jackson for lunch between 1-2 where they have an argument. It is 28 miles and 38 minutes travel time from the restaurant to the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping (SCDC) area where Gabby's van is supposedly seen by YouTube bloggers between 6:00-6:30 p.m. First strange text message from Gabby’s phone sent to mom regarding Stan (at least LE knows what time this was!).

My timeframe starts at 3:00 p.m, Aug 27th (one hour after the last sighting of Gabby).

AUG 28 - No known information.

AUG 29 - BL hitch hiked and picked up twice. First by MB and then by NJ, who drops him off at the gate to SCDC area at 6:30 p.m. Note: per Google maps it is 2.4 miles from the gate to the van and a 50 minute walk +/-. Elk hunters spotted the van on this date. Gabby was due to meet up with her pal on Aug. 29 at Yellowstone and was supposed to call her that day — the friend’s birthday — to nail down specifics, the Sun reported., but the friend never heard from Petito.
AUG 30, Monday – last text from Gabby to her mom saying she had no phone service at Yosemite — a message that NS is convinced didn’t come from her daughter (glad LE knows what time this was!)

Now, I used Google maps to get BL home and here is the (estimated) math. I actually started at North Port and worked backwards because we know the van was caught on camera entering North Port at approximately 10:30 a.m. Sept 1.

Travel distance between Spread Creek and North Port, FL is 2,375 miles and 35 hours via Google maps.

Transit van holds 15.4 gallons of gas and gets 23 MPG, approximate, so a tank of gas will go 350 miles. 2,375 / 350 = 6.7 stops to fill up. 15 minutes per stop = 100 minutes or 1 hour and 45 minutes just stopping for gas.

Possible goes thru Benton, IL (Aug 31 Central Time) returning home via use of GP debit card for gas. 14 ½ hours from Benton (spotted there possibly) to North Port. Arrives North Port at 10:30 a.m. Eastern Time via webcam.

BL committed debit card fraud between Aug. 30, 2021 (Monday) and Sept. 1, 2021 (Wednesday).

I picked gas stops that seemed likely to me based on how far he could go on a tank. It shouldn't matter because I am calculating the time/date.

Monday, Aug 30 Need to add 1.75 hours just for getting gas (15 minutes per stop), now at 7:15 pm Mountain time at Spread Creek. Does not include food, potty, or rest breaks. In other words, Brian could not have left Spread Creek any later than to 7:15 pm Mountain time on August 30.

Aug 30 - Spread Creek Camping Area to Lander, WY is 137 miles and 2 ½ hours – Spread Creek at 8:30 pm Mountain time to Lander, WY at 11:00 pm
Aug 30 - Lander, WY to Cheyenne, WY is 272 miles and 4 hours – Lander, WY at 11:00 pm to Cheyenne, WY at 3:00 am
Tuesday, Aug 31 - Cheyenne, WY to Kearney, NE is 316 miles – Cheyenne, WY 3:00 am Mountain Time to Kearney, NE at 8:30 am Central time (4 ½ hours, lose an hour)
Aug 31 - Kearney, NE to Kansas City, MO is 325 miles – Kearney, NE at 8:30 am Central Time to Kansas City, MO at 1:30 p.m. (5 hours)
Aug 31 - Kansas City, MO to Benton, IL is 350 miles – Kansas City, MO at 1:30 pm Central Time and Benton, IL at 6:30 pm ( 5 hours)
Aug 31 - Benton, IL to Chattanooga, TN is 350 miles – Benton, IL at 6:30 p.m. Central Time and Chattanooga, TN at 12:30 a.m. Eastern Time (5 hours travel time, lose an hour)
Wednesday, Sept 1 - Chattanooga, TN to Valdosta, GA is 350 miles – Chattanooga, TN at 12:30 a.m. Eastern Time and Valdosta, Ga at 5:30 am Eastern Time (5 hours travel time)
Sept 1 - Valdosta, GA to North Port, FL is 310 miles - Valdosta, Ga at 5:30 am Eastern Time and North Port, FL at 10:30 a.m. (5 hours travel time)

So, IMO the death timeline window (gosh...I hate that I am even doing this) is from August 27th approximately 3P to August 30th 7P. I actually believe he left the morning of August 30th.

This is all just my opinion, speculation, etc. and nothing more.

EDITED TO READ: In other words, Brian could not have left Spread Creek any later than to 7:15 pm Mountain time on August 30.

Heads up if I ever go missing my kids will contact you! You are awesome!

His friend thought BL moved to Florida because of the gun laws? I’m not following the point?
I think it might be because you don't need a conceal carry permit there, as long as you are over the age of 18.

In her last Instagram photo (I went back to look at all of them today), I think one side of her neck looks dark; however, it could be a shadow.

In her very last photo in that last set of photos I see a dark area on the left side of her neck which could be a shadow, but I also see a dark spot right under the cheekbone also on the left side of her face which does not look like a shadow. That one on her cheek looks like a bruise.

IMO

Strangulation. I understand why he ran, lawyered up, and isn't talking. He can't really explain that away. It may have been in the heat of the moment, probably was, which is manslaughter, not murder in the first degree. He would be released from jail eventually. Turn yourself in BL, it is the only thing you can do to begin to find forgiveness. It is your only chance at doing the right thing from now, and forever.

Gabby Petito's autopsy report: Live updates
How do you get from manual strangulation to probably manslaughter? Seems 2nd deg murder could be a very possible charge

Not really. The state does not lose jurisdiction merely because a crime was committed in a national forest. See US Code 16-480:

16 U.S. Code § 480. Civil and criminal jurisdiction
The jurisdiction, both civil and criminal, over persons within national forests shall not be affected or changed by reason of their existence, except so far as the punishment of offenses against the United States therein is concerned; the intent and meaning of this provision being that the State wherein any such national forest is situated shall not, by reason of the establishment thereof, lose its jurisdiction, nor the inhabitants thereof their rights and privileges as citizens, or be absolved from their duties as citizens of the State.

(June 4, 1897, ch. 2, § 1, 30 Stat. 36; Mar. 1, 1911, ch. 186, § 12, 36 Stat. 963.)
16 U.S. Code § 480 - Civil and criminal jurisdiction
In this case, the FBI, not the State, has taken the lead on the investigation into Gabby's murder and named BL a "person of interest." It is not at all unusual that agencies work together.

"The FBI and our partners remain dedicated to ensuring anyone responsible for or complicit in Ms. Petito's death is held accountable for their actions," the FBI in Denver said in a statement Tuesday. "Mr. Brian Laundrie has been named a person of interest. Anyone with information concerning Mr. Laundrie's role in this matter or his current whereabouts should contact the FBI."

FBI confirms Gabby Petito's body discovered in Wyoming, death initially ruled a homicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member