Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #66

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the special but must not have been focusing at that point.
My guess is that the guy was North Port Police Dept spokesperson Josh Taylor -- IIRC, he's said similar things before.

If that's what was said and who said it, you may be right that the NPPD followed him to the reserve. On the other hand, it's possible that they didn't follow BL to the reserve and that Taylor was trying to cover for his department by vaguely implying that they might have done so.

JMO

I think JT was bluffing. There is no way that LE would have surveillance on a POI in such a high profile case and leave once they saw him walk into the woods. That’s what undercovers are for.

True. But did he know she was dead when he used the card? I think he did, but it's yet to be proven. I don't know if that makes a difference legally.
This requires much too much of a suspension of disbelief for my mind to manage. If he didn't know she was dead when he took off in her van with her wallet, what did he think she was going to do without money or transportation?

And, didn't he offer $200 cash for a ride? Not sure if that threads in to this timing, or discussion of the card.

Amateur opinion and speculation
That's always struck me as odd. But I have certainly exaggerated an offer in a humorous way. "I'll give you a hundred dollars if you give me a ride" with a laugh about how tired of hiking you are. But $200 is an odd number. I could see a hundred, a thousand, etc.. But 200 is a little strange.

Oh, I believe that he saw the old firepit and tent spot, but it had probably been used numerous times by other campers, so it was permanently marked there. I just don't think that after the scene at Merry Piglets, they happily went back to set up a nice camp spot together to enjoy the scenery. I'm with rickshaw, I think she ran away from him and that's where he caught up with her. jmo
I agree that if he killed her right after MP, that's a possible outcome.

Do we know where they camped on the 26th? JS claims to have seen BL pulling over in that Spread Creek location on the 26th, alone. And the van there again on the 27th and 28th. If that's true, I would guess they camped there on the night of the 26th. Were they sleeping inside the van? They weren't even in a designated spot.

In the footage later in the day you can see two 'tents' they put up. One no-wall canopy to protect LE while they processed evidence I am assuming. The other tent was a large multi dome they possibly put over the area the body was found.
yes and by the time her stepfather went to the site so many people had already been there examining the body and surrounding area i imagine there was no original signs left of what might have been there before she was found!

I can't be sure what Blue meant. But in general when I've written a very different kind of report for consumption by various professionals (psychiatrists, psychologists, SWK) saying "three to four weeks" always would have meant a one-week span, not a two-week span. So it would mean at least 3 weeks but not the time between 2 and 3 weeks and up to 4 weeks but not the time between 4 and 5 weeks. Of course, in writing a report where time is crucial I'd put in exact dates anyway. Blue may have done that in his report but he didn't do it during press appearances.

So between Aug 22 and Aug 29. I can't know if that's what Blue meant. But I'd think narrowing the date of death down to a week vs two weeks should be possible given all the extra resources given to the case.

JMO
I didn't think it was actually Dr Blue who did the autopsy. I thought he was just the spokesperson and it was a female doctor who actually performed the main part of the autopsy. Please correct me if I misheard his pressy.

Lol, why not? Because we aren’t talking about you and your bank. Gabby’s TOS is not fine with it, and it is illegal. And any bank is likely not to agree that permissions extend after the death of the account holder. Bank accounts become part of the estate, which is a whole other can of worms legally.
Additionally, I wanted to point out that we aren’t talking about a credit card account, in case you were confused.

Jmo
Jmo
Jmo
Actually the post I was replying to was directly talking about me and my bank. And it's not illegal for a living person to loan someone their debit or credit card. Which is what we were discussing. It MAY be against their TOS.

If he left her body out in the open (unburied) he could have been hoping her remains would be scattered by animals., making it more difficult to find her.

As to the theft over 1,000 and unauthorized use charges - hard for him and a future defense to say she had given him permission to use the card/funds when she was deceased and unable to to do so.

Definite possibility of scavengers on scene.

Yellowstone Scavengers – Virtual Montana

From my point of view, the Merry Piglets sighting has a lot to do with this case. It establishes the last known time Gabby was seen alive. It seems clear to me that LE has been there and interviewed staff. I am guessing that gave LE a time frame to look at the video from the camera at the main intersection in Jackson - no way to get to Spread Creek without going past that camera.

This creates a window for Gabby's death that places BL near her/beside her/camping with her (and the van). I'm curious why you are certain that "investigators" think the Merry Piglet event has nothing to do with her murder. Can you say how you know that they concluded that? I haven't been privy to what all the investigators say - and certainly haven't seen any FBI reports on victimology or profiling of the type of criminal who killed Gabby.

I never said I was certain that investigators think the merry piglets event has nothing to do with the murder. I was using it as an example of something that we know about and are discussing, but once the whole story is out, it may not be. MOO

Very kind words, thank you.
I ask myself, is this case really extraordinary? Only in the media attention it has captured. Sadly, in the U.S. alone, we had almost 2000 "Gabby's" last year.
It's a complicated, multi-faceted plague on our society, but we can make positive change. Gabby's case, her sweet spirit, is helping do just that.

U.S. facing biggest homicide rate increase in 60 years - Washington Times
"The U.S. homicide rate in 2020 is poised to take its biggest annual jump in the 60 years the FBI has compiled nationwide data.

An FBI report due out Monday is expected to show an increase in the national homicide rate for 2020 of nearly 29% — more than double the previous highest single-year increase, the 12.7% rise in 1968."

I wonder how much society contributes to the growing rate of homicides. SM? ....I can post more examples but dont want to lesson focus on Gabby. But, at some level we are all connected. I know this last past year, my stress meter has gone up. And for young people trying to make their way in this world...a lot more pressure. But, of course we should seek help before something horrible happens.

yes and by the time her stepfather went to the site so many people had already been there examining the body and surrounding area i imagine there was no original signs left of what might have been there before she was found!
Investigators will take several inches of soil under and surrounding a body that has been there for 3-4 weeks. So I would guess the site was left quite different once the scene was processed.

One more thought I had reflecting back on following the Mollie Tibbetts case. I had not heard of Web Sleuths until a few months ago, while the MT trial was ongoing. I knew a lot of the facts of the case because they were getting brought out in trial, but I was going through the WS threads from the beginning so I could see lots of discussions on evidence that turned out to be wrong, misguided, or unimportant.

I think we all know that we don't have all the facts publicly, but what I see as the bigger problem to overcome is the idea that the public facts are necessarily important. We can only discuss what we know, and that can take on outsized importance.

So just as an example in this case... The TikTok witness may be entirely accurate about what happened at Merry Piglets, but it could be that the event has nothing to do ultimately with the murder according to investigators.

(If you followed the MT threads, I'm thinking of the many multiple threads spent speculating about the red shirt!)

JMO

Very glad you brought up this point.

I comment about this case frequently, but I don't believe I have ever hypothesized about WHY he killed her, though I 100% believe he did.

I don't know Brian. I didn't know Gabby. I don't have any idea if he felt emasculated by her, if he was jealous of her, felt she was too good for him, felt humiliated, whether Merry Piglets was the last straw or any of that. I only know what's public, like the Moab body cam.

I have my own theories and conjecture but if I wrote them out it would sound like something from fanfic.

I don't know enough to even know if he could survive in the Reserve or in a cabin or any of it. My hopes are in the knowledge that LE does not share with us.
My prayers are for Gabby's family. My scorn is for how the Laundries have treated her family. I don't have a clue where he is or if he's dead or alive or will ever be found.

I do get amazed sometimes at how smart some posters are and sometimes frustrated with what IMO are wacky theories, but if none of us here personally knew any of them, I don't think we firmly know anything as yet. JMO.

yes and could the imprint he saw be where LE had their canopy put up when the body was disovered? who knows ....
Canopies don't make imprints. They might make holes if there are stakes, but they are simply put up to cover an area. Tents with bottoms and people sleeping in them are what make imprints. JMO.

I didn't think it was actually Dr Blue who did the autopsy. I thought he was just the spokesperson and it was a female doctor who actually performed the main part of the autopsy. Please correct me if I misheard his pressy.

I was under the impression he wrote the overall report. If it was someone else who said TOD was 3-4 weeks before, I don't know who that is.

I agree that if he killed her right after MP, that's a possible outcome.

Do we know where they camped on the 26th? JS claims to have seen BL pulling over in that Spread Creek location on the 26th, alone. And the van there again on the 27th and 28th. If that's true, I would guess they camped there on the night of the 26th. Were they sleeping inside the van? They weren't even in a designated spot.
I can't find the date/s he was hitchhiking and the date at the piglet cafe. We need to work between those dates. My thinking he killed her the night after the restaurant where he carried on.

I can’t find the OP to quote them, but they mentioned this, & I agree. I think based off text messages, facetimes, causing a scene in the restaurant, etc…all the things, we’re down to a time frame of date of death for GP being the afternoon of 8/27 - 8/30. Which are the same dates the FBI is asking for information about. Which is interesting that they take it to 8/30. If they have hard evidence of BL leaving town on the 29th (which has been speculated by a gas station sighting), would they include 8/30 in their request for info? Wouldn’t they want that timeframe as short as possible? IMO - & I’m no lawyer or FBI agent lol - I think they took it to 8/30 bc that is probably the latest he could have left to make it back to NP by roughly 10:30 on 9/1. Thoughts? I’m interested to see what y’all think on that time frame bc I’m farrrrr from any kinda FBI agent haha!

That's always struck me as odd. But I have certainly exaggerated an offer in a humorous way. "I'll give you a hundred dollars if you give me a ride" with a laugh about how tired of hiking you are. But $200 is an odd number. I could see a hundred, a thousand, etc.. But 200 is a little strange.
It's very strange, esp. b/c it would seem they were willing to give him a ride, regardless. I find it even more interesting, that in (alleged) encounters with strangers, he always references Gabby in some way.

I really do hope BL's mind is torturing him, and that he will step forward.
Somehow, I hope he has seen the snip of "Dog" growling at him (cripes that scared the heck out of me!), and that he follow's Dog's advice to be a man, "for once".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member