Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #78

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that is what criminal lawyers do, though. The person is supposed to be "innocent until proven guilty" and the lawyer's job is to try to prove their innocence - - or that they are not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, right?
Thanks for your reply! Someone more knowledgable than me can probably speak to your question better than I can about defense lawyers' strategy in general but IMO it's not uncommon for criminal lawyers to tell their clients to turn themselves in or plead to a lesser charge. Of course, that depends on how voluminous the evidence is. We don't know (& may never know) what the FBI had in terms of evidence, by the 12/13th of September. It could have been overwhelming, it could have been scant. I personally feel they had a lot of evidence (video, electronic, physical, & circumstantial). But, my comments about this, then & now, are admittedly 100% speculation.

I DO find it really interesting that, to date, SB has never offered a alternate version of the case. What are your thoughts on this? I'm asking genuinely.

SB has never said something like she was fine when Brian left; or she gave Brian her van because she decided to live off the land with some hippies she met in Wyoming, or whatnot. That alternate version of a case is something defense lawyers tend to start very, very early on in the media. SB has really mounted or asserted no kind of defense of BL that I'm aware of. I'm actually surprised by so many of SB 's comments, because he almost appears to be, at times, throwing BL under the bus. He's said in recent days that BL made things difficult for his parents; that nothing would surprise him about BL's notebook/this case; that BL was in distress & not in distress, & his dad couldn't stop him from leaving (a kind of private disclosure, imo, & also makes it difficult to understand how he's representing all clients equally). He even said the police did nothing wrong in this case, which I thought would have been an easy target for a defense lawyer--eg. he could have SO easily said LE had tunnel vision & hounded this young man & terrified him, & contributed to his death, etc.

Edit to add: thanks, again, for replying to me. I am always paranoid about seeming snarky to a contributor on here, which I don't want to be. I never want to be so invested in my own opinions that I'd want to hurt another person. I appreciated your question because it helped me interrogate my thoughts. It's important to continually question what we (ie, me) think we (I) know. And I'm genuinely interested to hear your comments.

Last edited:
Seriously? Look to your own family. How do you know they aren't serial killers? That should answer your question.
This. Exactly! People generally see themselves as more far discerning and analytical than they actually are. We think and assume our own family members wouldn't be a serial killer, but how do you know?

I wouldn’t be surprised if the notebook is blank, as a slap in the face to everyone!
I think there's something there. I'm not giving him that much credit to think ahead and plan that out. He seems like a spur of the moment king of guy to me. Get angry. React. Do this. React. Do that. React. You give him more credit than I do which is your right. :)

Nope but this is interesting.

Brian Laundrie’s Sister, Cassie Laundrie: 5 Fast Facts | Heavy.com

Cassandra Laundrie Said Petito Was ‘Like a Sister’ & That Petito & Laundrie Always Made Up After a Fight

View attachment 318645

‘Love, Aunt Gabby’: Brian Laundrie’s sister shares images of postcards sent by Petito | ABC4 Utah
Is it me or does the handwriting on that postcard NOT look like Gabby's?
The lower case R's are different from how she wrote on her tattoo consent form as well as letters that don't seem to match

If his parents know this, they ought to bottle it and sell it instead of fruit juice, what a market there would be for such a potion!.. it would cut the work of Police agencies clear across the world by 40% instantly.

Exhibit A: Ted Bundy's mother, who believed in his innocence up until his conviction, despite attending his trial every day.

I thought those were sent by protesters for Gabby. Either way in my opinion it was odd to not see a family friend over the several weeks that passed.

With the GP being missing and then recovered, and with a near 24-hour media presence and escalating negative public sentiment, I would find it very odd if lots of people were visiting. If I were in the Laundrie's position, I would warn people to stay away. If I was a potential visitor, I would certainly think twice and consider just calling to offer support. Chances are very high that the media, protestors, or any of us onlookers might sleuth any visitors. Visitors, especially any that appeared supportive risked being doxxed and then possibly having protestors camped out in front of their own homes.

Much safer for close friends and family to keep their distance.

The whole thing was probably much harder and more isolating for CL and RL that way. Maybe that's what they "deserved" and maybe not. We really don't know, and may never know, any of the truth behind what they knew and when, but either way, I'm sure none of it has been pleasant for them. We do at least know, now, that they didn't help BL skip the country or something like that.

This. Exactly! People generally see themselves as more far discerning and analytical than they actually are. We think and assume our own family members wouldn't be a serial killer, but how do you know?
Nothing is 100%. But we can't lock up everyone or live in that kind of fear. I think everyone in this case did (and continues to do) the best they could with the information they had. And I can't ask for more or assign blame for their actions. Nobody knowingly put anyone else at risk.

Can’t Bertolino easily lie about the dates he spoke with Brian on since his conversations with him fall under “attorney-client privilege”
He could but if he were to be caught that would be a federal crime.
Banfield also mentioned (IIRC) that under FL law SB could not represent both the parents and BL

Typically we wouldn’t know until we do. You wouldn’t be able to tell unless there is forensic evidence, trials, incarceration, etc.

I guess I would be a leeeeetle bit squinty eyed about them, after they had , in cold blood, with their own hands, already murdered their fiancee.... ..

It would concern me a tad.

I would, at the very least , not assume they wouldn't get that antsy again, particularly if that relative was not forthcoming about why.. one would be left with a plethora of occasions where the relatives solution to a problem he was facing would be repeated.

If my relative was just your average run of the mill bloke, off to work, home each night to the missus and the fiddle de dids, pays his bills, no criminal record, no medical issues... then. .. no.. I would not assume.

Considering the media circus that a funeral would become, this isn't surprising.

If the authorities haven't determined cause and time of death yet, maybe his remains have not been released to the family. I would imagine they have a lot of tests to complete but I'm not sure how long that takes. GP's remains weren't released for quite a while...IMO.

Is it me or does the handwriting on that postcard NOT look like Gabby's?
The lower case R's are different from how she wrote on her tattoo consent form as well as letters that don't seem to match

She is printing fast - imperfectly - on a postcard. Looks normal.

She would have used cursive writing to sign a consent form.

The area where BL's remains & personal items were found has alot of tall trees. Is it possible BL was holed up in a tree, a type of tree house heavily camouflaged, not easily visible from the ground or air? Safely above most wildlife. Possibly falling due to a storm. Braking his neck & other parts of the body? Or maybe he hanged himself...dying by self-inflicted ligature strangulation. Just speculating on possibilities. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryopanda