Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, there has been an autopsy. She was strangled, although I would not be surprised if he slapped her around a bit first, like he did in Moab.

I didn't say Gabby was shot. There WERE bullet holes in the area of Gabby's remains, though. The reason has been thought to be because hunting was allowed in that area, but there may be more to the crime scene than we know at this point.

There WERE bullet holes in the area of Gabby's remains, though.

Gee, I didn't know that! Is there a link to the story? I remember seeing some pics and people speculating about it, but I did not realize it had been verified. I agree 100% that the crime scene is probably larger and more complex than we realize.

I didn't say Gabby was shot. There WERE bullet holes in the area of Gabby's remains, though. The reason has been thought to be because hunting was allowed in that area, but there may be more to the crime scene than we know at this point.

do you have a source for the bullet holes in Gabby’s remains? I have not read that and sure would like to keep up. Thanks!

Thanks to all who took a minute to respond to my question. I think I've hit that wall where I know I will never know what was in BL's mind, they whys of his actions. And that really is the only mystery still left in this case for me.

Leaving this case behind, but keeping Gabby's loved ones in my thoughts as they face this holiday season without her :(

Disturbing that guilt did not stop him from emptying her bank account.
IOW he spent his dead g/f’s money after he strangled her.
He could of left her body in HER van and flown home.
At least the angel would of been out of the elements.

MOO
Thats true, it points to some degree of sociopathy.
Not sure how the reasoning would work?
Like maybe the combination of rage alternating with panic? I do think money was at times an issue.
I have not seen what he bought for $1,000 that might give insight into his state of mind. Also, there could be the acknowledgement that he killed her and so why be concerned about CC fraud?
He did nothing to cover up the murder, apparently.
It was if course just a matter of time before things caught up with him. It shouldn't have been that long… yet it could have been longer. And certainly would have been much longer if he had covered it up. Sure it “Looks” like suicide and probably was. But I see a possibility that it wasn’t.

do you have a source for the bullet holes in Gabby’s remains? I have not read that and sure would like to keep up. Thanks!
Not in her remains, it was reported that there holes near that site. Could have been old from anyone shooting at anything. It might have been from BL… it would be curious to know if it was his bullets. But where is his gun?

Personally, I would just like to know what the FBI knows. How they knew to keep looking at the reserve instead of moving on elsewhere. What does the notebook say? The FBI knows more than what was put out to the public, and I think just a release of all that information would help.
Is it likely that the FBI will release any information other than a statement saying the case is closed? Any evidence they have cannot be tested by BL as he is dead and cannot provide a defence.

Is it possible, that the reference to other persons by the Petito and Schmidt attorney is something of a red herring? I understand the relevant wording to be:
'The family was also asked to wait for the United States Attorney's Office to make a determination on whether any additional individuals will be charged. "

This could be read 2 ways depending on what law the USAO wants to rely upon. At the moment, I do not think that the L's are in the frame - they are not part of the murder investigation - BUT, it could flow from that investigation.

The other possibility is that they cannot exclude other indiviuals from Gabby's murder itself.

Not in her remains, it was reported that there holes near that site. Could have been old from anyone shooting at anything. It might have been from BL… it would be curious to know if it was his bullets. But where is his gun?

I imagine that most ppl here have seen the crime scene photos and I've read a lot of speculation that the marks on the trees could be bullet holes. However, I can't find a link where this information is verified by LE. Every article I see uses the word "allegedly" or "possibly." In truth, I can't find any information released by LE regarding the crime scene except the cause of Gabby's death. I would be incredibly interested to see more information.

Gee, I didn't know that! Is there a link to the story? I remember seeing some pics and people speculating about it, but I did not realize it had been verified. I agree 100% that the crime scene is probably larger and more complex than we realize.

Yeah, I'm with you... I thought there were equal amounts of people scoffing at the putative bullet holes, and/or attributing them to something or someone else...

I grant that these threads have moved so fast that I have wound up skipping more than one in their entirety, so the information I have missed may have been considerable; but I hope people haven't been slipping in facts from non-approved WS sources (SM and the like) along the way, as part of "coming to their conclusions", as if they arrived in their heads intact with Sherlock-Holmesian aplomb...

rsbm

EXACTLY. Plenty of time there to evaluate what you're doing and decide to stop killing someone. Trying to paint this murderer in a sympathetic light is highly suspect. We're pretty smart here at Websleuths.

MOO, IMO
Many crimes of passion end in accidental murders. No one is likely taking the time to 'evaluate' while they are in the mindset of choking someone out. At the end of the day, maybe he didn't mean to kill her, but he DID and that's really all that matters.

But as some have speculated, IMO if GP fam pushes for posthumous murder conviction, that's even more of a waste of resources and time. Writing is on the wall here. It's not necessary to continue beating the horse. Won't change a single thing for anyone. Zero. MOO

Thats true, it points to some degree of sociopathy.
Not sure how the reasoning would work?
Like maybe the combination of rage alternating with panic? I do think money was at times an issue.
I have not seen what he bought for $1,000 that might give insight into his state of mind. Also, there could be the acknowledgement that he killed her and so why be concerned about CC fraud?
He did nothing to cover up the murder, apparently.
It was if course just a matter of time before things caught up with him. It shouldn't have been that long… yet it could have been longer. And certainly would have been much longer if he had covered it up. Sure it “Looks” like suicide and probably was. But I see a possibility that it wasn’t.

IMOO, he bought gas. And a gun.

Josh Benson
@WFLAJosh

·
12m

JUST IN. Response from #FBI in #Denver on whether an update on Brian Laundrie is imminent: “Thank you for your inquiry. All new and updated information will be on
@FBIDenver
. Have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving.” #BrianLaundrie

I’ve been checking the Twitter feeds daily at fbi, fbi Denver, and fbi Tampa. I’m glad, at least, that I can narrow it down to one. Moo.

18 U.S. Code § 1001 - Statements or entries generally
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully—
(1)
falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;
(2)
makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or
(3)
makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry;
shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years or, if the offense involves international or domestic terrorism (as defined in section 2331), imprisoned not more than 8 years, or both. If the matter relates to an offense under chapter 109A, 109B, 110, or 117, or section 1591, then the term of imprisonment imposed under this section shall be not more than 8 years.
Is it possible the feds are going to charge the Laundrie's with lying to the FBI? They would have to prove that the Laundrie's lied to them. We know they where not talking to LE early on from advice of a lawyer.

Did they later lie to the FBI? Seems improbable to me but possible.

JMO.

18 U.S. Code § 1001 - Statements or entries generally

2. One does not 'accidentally' strangle someone. It takes several minutes of holding the chokehold on someone to strangle them.
You can very much accidentally strangle someone. You can even do it to yourself.

Unexpected delayed death after manual strangulation: need for careful examination in the emergency room - PubMed
Delayed airway obstruction and neck abscess following manual strangulation injury - PubMed
Health Issues Result from Strangulation

A simple push, hit, or shove to the throat can cause enough damage to cause swelling and death. An this may takes weeks and months depending on person. It can be delayed a long time if over the counter anti inflammation pills, like ibuprofen or Tylenol.

I am stating this as science fact and not saying this is what happened to anyone. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I can't imagine criminally charging the family members of suicides. Because in hindsight most suicides were predictable. So they could have been prevented if people did different things. But that's hindsight.

I'm not really understanding why some people are so determined the L's should go to jail. Is it just because someone should and B can't so they should?
JMO

<modsnip>

Personally, I think the Laundries should be held responsible for as many things as Florida deems (and I'm usually 100% against letting Florida make decisions) prosecutable. There aren't any excuses for not going to the police. Florida even has a law for dragging your adult child in to the authorities if you believe they may have committed a crime. If they had handed him over on the 11th, he'd still be alive today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course you can believe whatever you like but the post was about whether criminal charges that carry prison time upon conviction could be brought against the L's. So it surely appears jail/prison was being discussed, not merely some vague idea of "accountability." But if we are talking about accountability, accountability to whom? The public? The L's don't owe the public anything.

JMO

As a taxpayer, I kind of disagree. Those searches cost a fortune.

Many crimes of passion end in accidental murders. No one is likely taking the time to 'evaluate' while they are in the mindset of choking someone out. At the end of the day, maybe he didn't mean to kill her, but he DID and that's really all that matters.

But as some have speculated, IMO if GP fam pushes for posthumous murder conviction, that's even more of a waste of resources and time. Writing is on the wall here. It's not necessary to continue beating the horse. Won't change a single thing for anyone. Zero. MOO
It might change a thing or two for anyone possibly involved in the aiding and abetting a murder and/or tampering with evidence or obstruction of justice. IMO

One thing for me: BL is gone by his own hand -- he was spoiled, immature, lazy, and mean-spirited -- all, of course, my opinion. I think he enjoyed pushing sweet Gabby around, knowing she was miles ahead of him in brains, spirit, artistry, drive, all those positives. He was jealous of her, IMO.

I will let you have all of that. But you know that spells the last person who would commit suicide right?
Just for the record, noone has proved BL was any of theses things as far as I know. If you have links to prove me wrong produce them.

Spoiled, so he expects whatever he states to be believed by everyone.

Immature, he does not believe his action have repercussions against him. "boys will be boys".

Lazy. Surely someone will come to protect him. He has mommy and daddy and family lawyer.

Mean-spirited- So he demands that the world does what he wants it to. It must conform to his will and it is not his fault if it does not.

On the other side of the coin we got suicide.
Nothing can save him, he is doomed and the world would be a better place with out him.

How do you roll those two sides together.

I would prefer death to life in prison. And I think in the long run, that might be the easier choice for my family, as well.

People do have different ideas on this.

The FBI must do something eventually: declare this a cold case (not going to happen), or clear the case (they can't close it, as there is no legal ending to it).

They will clear it (and one of our gracious lawyers and some knowledgeable WSers posted on this thread or a recent one).

Clearing means that the FBI is satisfied that the right defendant is named, but there can be no trial (due to their death or some other reason). They basically organize a case against a dead person, run it by various internal procedures, and then pronounce the case cleared (not closed).

That's what we're waiting for.

Wouldn't a written confession be considered a legal end? Wondering if there is one in the notebook, unlikely that he left a suicide note confession or I think we would have already heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay