Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 *road trip w/bf*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right - we have no idea how they funded this adventure do we ?

IMO

Sorry if this was touched on already, but they may have had sponsors -- someone had mentioned earlier that the boyfriend seemed to post a lot of almost promotional-style stuff, pointing out his gear and whatnot, and that could be part of some deal made with an outfitter. I have a friend who is a hunter and he and his buddies had a YT account where they would post videos of all kinds of things related to hunting/fishing -- companies provided them with gear to try and review, and some deals even came with travel stipends.

MOO.

So he takes her only means of transportation (it's her van) and takes off? After a fight?

I call that theft of her vehicle, frankly. Yeah, I'd be really angry if some "fiancé" stranded my daughter without her van, in Utah or Wyoming. That was not his call. If she was that upset, he needed to get out of the van and find his own way - not force her to do so.

It was, as I understand it, her van. Did she actually give him permission to leave her in UT or WY and hightail it to his home? I wonder if he continued to use funds that she had partly contributed to. While I doubt it'll be easy to get this guy on charges of murder (if in fact he did something to her), hopefully there will be consequences for such inordinately selfish and illegal behavior. Not his van, he doesn't get to take it away from where she is.
Do we have confirmation that GP was the legal owner of the van? I know people have said it in this thread but I can’t find any outside confirmation. Heck it could be in one of their parents names- or both names! I would like to get confirmation on whose name was on the van and what date did the van return to FL!?

'She needs help': Parents searching for ex-Blue Point woman gone missing in Wyoming

A Suffolk (NY) police spokeswoman confirmed that Suffolk police is the lead agency in the case but would not comment further.

An FBI spokesperson referred questions to the National Park Service. An NPS spokesperson said: "We are coordinating with multiple law enforcement agencies as part of the investigation into Gabrielle Petito’s whereabouts."

Detectives ask anyone with information on Petito’s disappearance to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls can remain anonymous.

So the speculation that BL’s parents may have been/be directing his strange actions (coming straight home, not talking) look close to true:

“Police in Florida have tried to speak with the boyfriend of a Long Island woman who disappeared under “odd” circumstances during their cross-country trip – but the man’s parents refused to allow them, according to a report.”

“Taylor said police went to the home of Laundrie’s parents, who “did not want to make him available,” according to the report.”

Boyfriend of missing LI woman not 'available' to talk to police

Jaye Foster, an Alabaman who is traveling the U.S. in his own customized Volkswagen bus, met Gabby and Laundrie near Moab, Utah, on Aug. 10. The three of them chatted for about 40 minutes, discussing the modifications they had made to their vans.

“They were holding hands, they were ecstatic about their rebuild,” Foster told The Daily Beast from a rest stop in California. “That’s what I find so weird about the whole situation, is that they were both really cool. There didn’t seem to be anything wrong whatsoever.”

“They were happy to show off their van, happy to show off their travel map, she was so proud of the sink she had put in,” said Foster. “She was such a cool person. He was too. That’s what’s freaking me out. They seemed totally fine.

This ‘Van-Life’ Couple Went on a Cross-Country Trip Out West. Only He Came Back.

In that article this paragraph really stood out to me and makes me even more confident that poor GP is not able to contact her family (either passed on or possibly being held hostage- that’s a long shot but still a possibility- I almost hope it’s that because then she’s still alive at least)

“We had been in touch with her as she traveled,” Petito’s father, Joe, told The Daily Beast, explaining that he knew something was wrong when Gabby stopped checking in. “I’d speak to her once a week or so, her mom spoke to her two or three times a week. My son would talk to her often on Snapchat, FaceTime; my niece would be in constant contact with Her”

In this day and age with apps like Snapchat or ft / the fact everyone has a cell phone- there’s a big reason she’s not in contact and I’m doubtful it because she is choosing to be Mia…. Hope this turns out better then what my gut is telling me!!! Imo!

link below to where I got that paragraph-
This ‘Van-Life’ Couple Went on a Cross-Country Trip Out West. Only He Came Back.

So the speculation that BL’s parents may have been/be directing his strange actions (coming straight home, not talking) look close to true:

“Police in Florida have tried to speak with the boyfriend of a Long Island woman who disappeared under “odd” circumstances during their cross-country trip – but the man’s parents refused to allow them, according to a report.”

“Taylor said police went to the home of Laundrie’s parents, who “did not want to make him available,” according to the report.”

Question for anyone who might have more knowledge about how LE generally works:

BL is not a minor, so wouldn't the police need to hear from him personally that he's refusing to speak [without a lawyer or warrant, presumably], rather than from his parents? Are people generally allowed to speak on behalf of adult family members like that?

Dad of Gabby Petito says 'he will do anything to find her' after she vanished on trip with fiance | Daily Mail Online

A North Port resident said Petito and Laundrie moved to his neighborhood eight months ago.

'I've never seen anything out of place with those two,' he told MailOnline. 'The only thing that stood out was that a tow crew came and took the white van away.'
so now we know the two of them did live with his parents right? Still no confirmation of van ownership though - just news media referencing "her" van.
JMO
ETA: Link to confirm he lived with his parents
Gabby Petito disappearance: Van found at boyfriend's North Port family home
snipped
"We're hopeful that she's out there somewhere. People just sometimes don't want to communicate so that's certainly still a viable option," Taylor said. "But we have to prepare for something maybe more sinister."

Last edited:

Remember, he's hired a lawyer. Undoubtedly, it's the lawyer who's told him not to make any statements to anyone about the case. The parents may well be taking the role of the "bad guys", stepping in to enforce the lawyer's advice, and act as a buffer between their son and the media. He's living in their home, so it's a reasonable thing for them to do, to shoo away the media.

Under the circumstances, his actions are not strange. He's doing what his lawyer is telling him to do, most likely. Any statements he makes could be misconstrued, or could inadvertently incriminate him, or would be food for the tabloids. This is typical lawerly advice.

Last edited:
They don't seem in love to me. They they kiss, it's a quick peck. He just seems skittish and nervous and jumpy and aloof around her. She looks happy and tuned in and living in the moment and he's there kind of outside of that center and nervously pacing.

If anything happened, and he's got a lawyer, there may have been a heated argument and whatever happened, nothing premeditate if the worst is assumed.

Idk but about the kissing thing- I’ve been with my partner for over 5 years and we share a child together… I don’t think we have ever “kissed” I think kissing is weird honestly and so who knows maybe one of them is like me and just doesn’t see the point of kissing? Idk just a thought.

Edited to add-

I’m also -almost- a lawyer, (last year of law school) and I believe the lawyer is telling them not to make public statements etc. I would advise that if my client if in this situation. At this point the lawyer is likely trying to confirm whatever story BL told them. At some point (if the lawyer thinks it’s ok) BL will sit down with the lawyer and answer police questions - bL will be told to stick to the story they are presenting and not answer anything else. Then it’s up to Le to gather evidence to bring charges (if there will be any) . Also just because he’s got a lawyer doesn’t mean they are not in contact with LE- I would think once the lawyer can verify BLs story they would have him sit down with LE- however there’s a flip side- if the lawyer doesn’t feel his client is truthful or that his story of events might incriminate him, then they won’t talk with police- they will say bring charges and we can talk then. BL could always plead the 5th - so if he is guilty we likely won’t hear from him. Idk it all depends on what bL told his lawyer and how the lawyer thinks is the best way to respond. That’s my two cents on the lawyer bit! Obviously I could be wrong but that’s typically how it goes. Also to everyone saying he’s sketchy for getting a lawyer, I would say it’s the smart thing to do. I also recommend to anyone in legal trouble to get a lawyer before talking to police for any reason!

Last edited:
Remember, he's hired a lawyer. Undoubtedly, it's the lawyer who's told him not to make any statements to anyone about the case. The parents may well be taking the role of the "bad guys", stepping in to enforce the lawyer's advice, and act as a buffer between their son and the media. He's living in their home, so it's a reasonable thing for them to do, to shoo away the media.

What's odd is that there are no media reports of him or his parents saying "talk to the lawyer". That's what they should be doing. Maybe that's what they've been doing all along, but there's been no media comment about that particular detail.
They did tell them in a roundabout way -BBM
#MISSING UPDATE: "We have attempted to speak with Brian [Laundrie], so far his family has given us the number of their attorney."
North Port Police Department in Florida confirms the van Gabby Petito was travelling in with her boyfriend, Brian Laundrie, was seized. The van was found at the home of Laundrie's parents.
However, they say no sign of Petito was found with either Laundrie or the van. It appears Laundrie returned to Florida without Petito.
snipped

I have a question about GP & BL's living arrangements the last 2 years. Did someone say they'd been living with his parents? If so, could someone provide a link for that information? If they were living with his parents, that would explain part of the picture regarding how they were supporting themselves. IOW---they weren't. His parents were helping to support them by providing them with a plalce to live. They may have been paying for their onw groceries and helping with utility bills, or whatever, but earned money, or at least--hers, would have been going to save up for that vehicle, and travel expenses. It's not clear what his contribution was.

But if we know they were living with his parents, that could explain a few things about their finances. Or at least provide a clue.

Based on mother's comments in daily mail, it seems maybe her daughter took off. But they didn't mention if they had talked to the boyfriend/fiance. And won't talk about what was in her last texts.

'I can't say much, but she's no longer with the van,' Schmidt told Fox News of her daughter. 'I don't want to say anything more than that but for people looking for her, I want them to look for her now, not look for that van anymore'

'We are looking for her. We are not focusing on anything else, but finding her . . . I believe she's gonna come home.'

"I don't know if I believe she's in danger for a particular reason, I just believe she's in danger because she's not in touch with us and she could be alone somewhere, she could be stranded somewhere in the wilderness. And she needs help. And I know we're not out there, but I hope everyone's looking for her. I hope that the hikers and the rangers and the campers and everybody has her face and they're looking for her actively"

Parents in these situations will hang on to any scenario that means their daughter comes home alive. They will hang on till they get the news. So heartbreaking and understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro