Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 *road trip w/bf*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have missed it, but there was some discussion on whether there was confirmation that the van was registered in GP's name. Would LE have been able to impound the van if it had been in BL's name if he chose not to cooperate?
Yes. If there is probable cause that the van is/contains evidence, LE can obtain a warrant and seize it regardless of who owns it.

Boyfriend of missing LI woman not 'available' to talk to police

“We have the vehicle, we took it away very late Saturday night into Sunday,” North Port police spokesman Josh Taylor told the news outlet.

Taylor said police went to the home of Laundrie’s parents, who “did not want to make him available,” according to the report.

On Monday, Laundrie’s father, Christopher Laundrie, 62, refused to comment to the Daily Mail on his son’s whereabouts while mowing his lawn.

Gabby Petito disappearance: YouTuber missing after cross-country trip with boyfriend | WHNT.com

Petito is now reported missing under suspicious circumstances and last known to be in Wyoming’s Grand Teton National Park. In a press release, police say Petito’s family last heard from their daughter the last week of August and reported her missing on Sept. 11.

Her parents are telling other media outlets Laundrie is back home, lawyered up, and not talking.

The Suffolk County Police Department told NewsNationNow.com they could not comment on Laundrie or his whereabouts. His social media pages have gone silent and he has yet to make a public plea or statement.

I’d probably check through their Alltrails accounts to get an idea of any trails they may have taken in Grand Teton. Gabby mentioned in at least one of her Instagram posts that they were more experienced climbers, so maybe check the more difficult trails first.
<modsnip - sleuthing someone who is not a POI>
https://www.alltrails.com/lists/grand-teton--6907

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I've been wondering from the get-go. How could they have jobs if they took two multi-month road trips two years in a row? Did they figure out how to monetize their posting on social media? What could their income source/s be, other than parents? Was he independently wealthy? Grasping at straws here, in the absence of any info re: their financing.

They didn't really have a lot of followers built up to monetize from what I can see.
It seems they were trying to use this trip to get a YouTube channel, website and Instagram accounts off the ground, get some sponsors, etc. and they may have realized there was a lot of behind the scenes work involved in entertaining people on YouTube with 10 minute videos. It's harder than it looks. I also get a sense the money ran out faster than they had anticipated. Did I read correctly earlier that Gabby had purchased the van? Judging on that one scene in the YouTube video Brian appeared* to have some basic car repair knowledge but we don't know that for sure without the full context. I mean there could have been some kind of outrageously expensive repair along the way that sapped a bunch of their funds as well.

Also, it's very hard to monetize. You can't monetize on YouTube until you reach 1,000 subscribers. They have a little over 1,000. The only video on there has over 200k views but most of those likely came after she was missing. She has a lot of Instagram followers but I didn't see any paid promotion posts. Unlikely they were making any money from their travel posts. Monetizing social media is hard and it a climb that can take years unless you go viral and even then it's often small amounts.

I have a feeling she went off with others !
He wasn’t onboard with that abd she told him to go home!
I think he was blindsided when she was reported missing!
If she was fine when he left it was not up to him to call her mom! He probably figured she would tell her!
Hope she is found today!

Hopefully she is found today!

She could be anywhere between Wyoming and Florida.

The YouTube video appears to be a compilation of both of their trips out west. The first 5 minutes are scenes from their trip last year (eating sushi on the beach watching the sunset). If you look at her Instagram to compare, that’s the day in 2020
where she announced their engagement.

Fast forward to the last few minutes of the video where she’s in the tent and another
scene making breakfast with granola are from their current trip with the van.

in progress
@JudgeJoe and @JerseyGirl started this I’m working on updating it for the media thread so please fill in (I need to work on the format too)
TIMELINE:
  • JULY 2: Van Life Road Trip Began for Gabby Petito and BL

• July 5: The couple stopped at Kansas' Monument Rocks

July 8: Their next stop was Colorado Springs
    July 10: Petito updated her Instagram with photos of her walking at Grand Sand Dunes National Park

July 16: Petito’s smiling in a photo from the couple’s next stop at Zion National Park
    July 20: Petito informed her Instagram followers that they were at Cedar Breaks

July 21: The next stop was Bryce Canyon National Park

July 26: Petito posted a photo relaxing in hot tub at Mystic Hot Springs

July 30: The couple stopped at Canyonlands National Park Mesa Arch

August 12: The couple took a hike at Arches National Park

August 13: BF posted an Instagram photo from their next destination in Moab
  • August 19. YouTube travel video posted
  • August 21 - Gabbys dad orders Uber eats

August 24: The couple were seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah

August 25: Petito’s family spoke to her for the last time over the phone and she said she was in Grand Teton National Park
    • Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt. Last Instagram post from Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah.

• AUG 27 & 30
      : text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
    • SEPT ?: Laundrie returns home to FL alone, retains an attorney & is uncooperative with investigation
    • SEPT 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM
    • Van is seized by law Police at the parents of BL home in FL
Additions
AUG 10: JF met Gabby and Laundrie near Moab, Utah where they chatted about 40 min. JF and his gf then set off on a hike to the Delicate Arch. When they got back to the parking lot, Gabby and Laundrie were gone.
‘Van-Life’ Couple Gabrielle Petito and Brian Laundrie Went on Cross-Country Trip Out West. Only He Came Back. (thedailybeast.com)

AUG 21: Gabby told her Dad on FaceTime that they had lost power during a stop in Salt Lake City.
Mom of missing Florida girl, 22, pleads for help to find her daughter | Daily Mail Online

SEP 10: The family alerted the National Park Service.
'Circumstances are odd' police say, after boyfriend of missing woman returns home, hires attorney (winknews.com)

It seems every week I read about a death of someone trying to get a selfie at the edge of a mountain, cliff whatever just to impress their social media followers but if this were the case why would he not report this to authorities instead of driving back home?

Yes, there has been an uptick in people dying from taking selfies. Like you , I'm not sure about it in this case. An accident such as this would/should not cause your boyfriend to leave you and return home as if nothing happened.

My husband and I had just met Lt. Joanne Restko and her dog on the trail a few weeks before her death. It was terrible to hear that she died in such a tragic accident. The thrill of the beautiful & daring photo is not worth it. IMO

FDNY EMS lieutenant killed in upstate mountain climbing accident

Just got caught up and have a couple of thoughts.

I don’t think we’ve heard anything about Gabby’s friends. Does she have girlfriend’s, BFF? Was she communicating with them and if so when? Gabby may have told them things that she wouldn’t tell her mother.

Gabby’s mom made the comment that she didn’t know where the relationship was headed which I found odd. Since they were engaged one would think that the relationship was headed towards marriage unless Gabby was telling her mom that things weren’t great.

Where is her phone? Where was the phone when those last texts came to her mother?

This is going to be an ugly one.

MOO

@JudgeJoe and @JerseyGirl started this I’m working on updating it for the media thread so please fill in (I need to work on the format too)
TIMELINE:
  • JULY 2: Van Life Road Trip Began for Gabby Petito and BL

• July 5: The couple stopped at Kansas' Monument Rocks

July 8: Their next stop was Colorado Springs
    July 10: Petito updated her Instagram with photos of her walking at Grand Sand Dunes National Park

July 16: Petito’s smiling in a photo from the couple’s next stop at Zion National Park
    July 20: Petito informed her Instagram followers that they were at Cedar Breaks

July 21: The next stop was Bryce Canyon National Park

July 26: Petito posted a photo relaxing in hot tub at Mystic Hot Springs

July 30: The couple stopped at Canyonlands National Park Mesa Arch

August 12: The couple took a hike at Arches National Park

August 13: BF posted an Instagram photo from their next destination in Moab
  • August 19. YouTube travel video posted
  • August 21 - Gabbys dad orders Uber eats

August 24: The couple were seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah

August 25: Petito’s family spoke to her for the last time over the phone and she said she was in Grand Teton National Park
    • Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt. Last Instagram post from Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah.

• AUG 27 & 30
      : text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
    • SEPT ?: Laundrie returns home to FL alone, retains an attorney & is uncooperative with investigation
    • SEPT 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM
in progress

Additions
AUG 10: JF met Gabby and Laundrie near Moab, Utah where they chatted about 40 min. JF and his gf then set off on a hike to the Delicate Arch. When they got back to the parking lot, Gabby and Laundrie were gone.
‘Van-Life’ Couple Gabrielle Petito and Brian Laundrie Went on Cross-Country Trip Out West. Only He Came Back. (thedailybeast.com)

AUG 21: Gabby told her Dad on FaceTime that they had lost power during a stop in Salt Lake City.
Mom of missing Florida girl, 22, pleads for help to find her daughter | Daily Mail Online

SEP 10: The family alerted the National Park Service.
'Circumstances are odd' police say, after boyfriend of missing woman returns home, hires attorney (winknews.com)
Good morning, Oviedo. One more:

LATE SEP 11: LE seized the van. “We have the vehicle, we took it away very late Saturday night into Sunday,” North Port police spokesman Josh Taylor.
Boyfriend of missing LI woman not 'available' to talk to police

Just got caught up and have a couple of thoughts.

I don’t think we’ve heard anything about Gabby’s friends. Does she have girlfriend’s, BFF? Was she communicating with them and if so when? Gabby may have told them things that she wouldn’t tell her mother.

Gabby’s mom made the comment that she didn’t know where the relationship was headed which I found odd. Since they were engaged one would think that the relationship was headed towards marriage unless Gabby was telling her mom that things weren’t great.

Where is her phone? Where was the phone when those last texts came to her mother?

This is going to be an ugly one.

MOO

I think she did tell her mom enough for her to wonder where the relationship was headed. Maybe Gabby wasn't sure she wanted to marry him. And maybe Gabby told him that.

You're right, though. This is going to be ugly.

Not sure if this has been noticed already: on GP Instagram, she almost always tags a location in her posts, particularly since she started travelling on July 2nd. Her last two posts don't have a location tagged: the one on August 19th and the one on August 26th (am I allowed to drop a URL for these?)

Not sure if this has been noticed already: on GP Instagram, she almost always tags a location in her posts, particularly since she started travelling on July 2nd. Her last two posts don't have a location tagged: the one on August 19th and the one on August 26th (am I allowed to drop a URL for these?)
I reversed searched the Monarch butterfly Happy Halloween photo. The photo was taken in Artsy section of Ogden UT.. But yes, normally should would tag a location. All very strange.
ART IN ISOLATION: OGDEN CONTINUES TO CREATE

You know what else I noticed about her last two posts on IG, she was always so expressive. Paragraphs about what she has seen and how it made her feel. That second to last post about people leaving trash on the table seems more like something he would write and not her. JMO

Page 26 video, LE states they located HER vehicle and then confiscated HER vehicle. So unless they are talking about a different vehicle it sounds like the Ford was in her name.
This is my thought as well - it's quite possible her dad may have also been on the title if there was a loan involved but that is pure speculation - I need to watch the zoom interview with her dad to see if he has added any additional information.

For those joining Gabby's thread - we have a media only thread - no discussion but it's quite easy to catch up
WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 8/25/21 *MEDIA MAPS TIMELINE No discussion*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Her Orangeness