Found Deceased WY - Joseph 'Joey' Peterson, 16, autistic, Casper, 10 Nov 2019 *winter storm*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This poor child. His foot was hurting and he continued to travel. I hope he found a spot to huddle in so he felt cozy as he passed away. Blessings to his family.

Search for autistic teen missing in Wyoming winter weather is now a recovery mission

Snipped:
The first set of footprints found indicated Joseph was bleeding from his left foot, Courtney said.

More footprints, in snow, belonging to him were found Nov. 16, about 3 miles from his home at the base of Casper Mountain. Courtney said the days-old footprints were likely from "soon after he left the residence," and since he probably took the "path of least resistance" to the base of the mountain, the teen could have walked as many as six miles in the cold.

"How that affected him, we won’t know until we find him," Courtney said.

The recovery search will be coordinated by the Natrona County Emergency Management division, and will be smaller and more focused based on drone and other data previously gathered.

This poor child. His foot was hurting and he continued to travel. I hope he found a spot to huddle in so he felt cozy as he passed away. Blessings to his family.

Search for autistic teen missing in Wyoming winter weather is now a recovery mission

Snipped:
The first set of footprints found indicated Joseph was bleeding from his left foot, Courtney said.

More footprints, in snow, belonging to him were found Nov. 16, about 3 miles from his home at the base of Casper Mountain. Courtney said the days-old footprints were likely from "soon after he left the residence," and since he probably took the "path of least resistance" to the base of the mountain, the teen could have walked as many as six miles in the cold.

"How that affected him, we won’t know until we find him," Courtney said.

RSBM
I know, the little bleeding foot just broke this old tough heart.

I am utterly heartbroken.

Like I really don’t know how to express how I’m feeling & what I’m feeling & why I’m feeling this unexplainable feeling. This case in particular has hit me so hard, in so many ways. More so than Cupcake’s case. CC case was the first I followed intently - like to the autistic extreme intense way, it consumed me & I shut everyone out. But Joey’s case I didn’t do that to my family (& to myself).

Since it was announced that Joey’s disappearance has turned into a recovery effort, my heart has just sunk. Like to a new level, sunk. I am grieving. I’ve been depressed/gloomy mood. I’ve been crying. I’ve been praying a lot for his family.

I’ve tried to come back to WS since the announcement but it has been very hard. I feel disassociated & disconnected from WS. I have no idea why. Can anyone explain this (whatever “this” is) - what is happening & why??!?

Does following the various cases & getting bad news ever get easier to swallow?

I know I need a break but I start to feel guilty for taking time away.

My personality type is to always put others first above my own needs/wants.

If anyone with a similar personality type as mine has any advice or really anyone who may have experienced similar feelings, I REALLY would appreciate some advice/thoughts & opinions.

Editorial board: People who searched for missing teenager deserve our thanks

For 10 days, as searchers combed the prairie near the northeast end of Casper Mountain, our community held out hope that Joey Peterson would be found alive.

Over those 10 days, they searched an area roughly nine times the size of Casper. The teams found tracks suggesting that he was headed toward Casper Mountain and had traveled – barefoot and in the cold – at least six miles.

The search was now a recovery effort, not a rescue.

For Joey’s family, for the volunteers and authorities who searched for the boy, for people who prayed for his safe return and for those who simply wished the best for him and his family, the realization that he would not be coming home safe was painful.

Like I really don’t know how to express how I’m feeling & what I’m feeling & why I’m feeling this unexplainable feeling. This case in particular has hit me so hard, in so many ways. More so than Cupcake’s case. CC case was the first I followed intently - like to the autistic extreme intense way, it consumed me & I shut everyone out. But Joey’s case I didn’t do that to my family (& to myself).

Since it was announced that Joey’s disappearance has turned into a recovery effort, my heart has just sunk. Like to a new level, sunk. I am grieving. I’ve been depressed/gloomy mood. I’ve been crying. I’ve been praying a lot for his family.

I’ve tried to come back to WS since the announcement but it has been very hard. I feel disassociated & disconnected from WS. I have no idea why. Can anyone explain this (whatever “this” is) - what is happening & why??!?

If anyone with a similar personality type as mine has any advice or really anyone who may have experienced similar feelings, I REALLY would appreciate some advice/thoughts & opinions.
No, you are not the only one. It happens often with quite a few of us. We want them found safe and sound. When we hear otherwise, it's heartbreaking.

We don't want to imagine poor Joey out there by himself, succumbing to the elements. Plus knowing his foot was cut and that he was no doubt struggling to walk is like another stab in our loving hearts.

Sometimes, you just have to take a break from here. I know that I have had to, after a couple of cases.

To me, it just means you have a warm and loving heart, you're compassion and caring shines through, but with having those wonderful traits, it can lead to more heart aches.

Your reaction is normal. Hang in there. If you need a break, take one.

I think it’s normal for some cases to really hit you harder than others. I think it shows true compassion on your part and I am sorry you’re hurting so much. I feel drawn to this case because I live only a few hours away and I know how unforgiving this weather is. I hate that he’s out there, alone. It breaks my heart, too.

I do cry, worry, grieve for all these cases cause most are just horrible. I'm also an angel mom which I also know what the family feels and how their life will never ever be the same. It changes who you are and I get sad to know another family now has to travel the path I'm on but I'm 11 years into it. I also put everyone before me and worry about everyone else before myself. I have learned from reading that it's empathy and some have empathy more than others and it can be good and it can be bad. So in my opinion i think you might want to read a few articles on empathy and see if it can be explained better.

I think when you can relate to the victim, the family members or their situation it makes the emotions much more intense and in cases like this one where there was so much hope in the beginning, it is perfectly normal to feel heartbroken. I think we all have to step away from time to time. Hugs to you.

Editorial board: People who searched for missing teenager deserve our thanks

For 10 days, as searchers combed the prairie near the northeast end of Casper Mountain, our community held out hope that Joey Peterson would be found alive.

Over those 10 days, they searched an area roughly nine times the size of Casper. The teams found tracks suggesting that he was headed toward Casper Mountain and had traveled – barefoot and in the cold – at least six miles.

The search was now a recovery effort, not a rescue.

For Joey’s family, for the volunteers and authorities who searched for the boy, for people who prayed for his safe return and for those who simply wished the best for him and his family, the realization that he would not be coming home safe was painful.
I wonder if he was headed to Casper Mountain bc this is where he won 1st place three times at the Special Olympics for skiing in 2015. Maybe it was his happy place. JM2C.
EDIT: There is a link to this article but atm I cannot find it. I found it while I was soooooo deep into sleuthing the other day on Google that I can’t seem to find it right now. BUT if I can find it again I will post it.
2015 Area V Winter Games > 5 - Casper
That link above is where it shows that Joey & his two brothers were in the 2015 Special Olympics.

If you click on Joey’s name you will see that he came in 1st in all 3 categories:

2015 Area V Winter Games > 5 - Casper > Joey Peterson

Last edited:
I wonder if he was headed to Casper Mountain bc this is where he won 1st place three times at the Special Olympics for skiing in 2015. Maybe it was his happy place. JM2C.
EDIT: There is a link to this article but atm I cannot find it. I found it while I was soooooo deep into sleuthing the other day on Google that I can’t seem to find it right now. BUT if I can find it again I will post it.
2015 Area V Winter Games > 5 - Casper
That link above is where it shows that Joey & his two brothers were in the 2015 Special Olympics.

If you click on Joey’s name you will see that he came in 1st in all 3 categories:

2015 Area V Winter Games > 5 - Casper > Joey Peterson
You could be right. He very well could have been heading there because it was a place that made him feel good to be at. Sounds like he was a remarkable athlete.

I keep hoping the poor guy is found alive, that somehow, he's managed to stay alive all this time. It's unrealistic, and LE has said it's a recovery now, but I'd rather hang on to hope until he is found. Hopefully he'll be found soon.

Hello UnapologeticallyAspie, I grieve with you, and I cry with you. My heart is broken as well. I can't imagine the horrible pain Joey's parents and his family feel.Thank you for your honesty and kindness.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennilynn321
Back