Zahra Baker's Biological Mother

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Do you seriously believe the news crew was the only way she could get here? With the number of Aussies posting here and following the case I have zero doubt that all she would have needed to do was say she couldn't get to the states and people there would have made sure she got on a plane.
Yes, I'm sure but then the media would have painted Emily as a gold digger!

Yes, I'm sure but then the media would have painted Emily as a gold digger!

And bringing her own media is better?

My point of view is that asking for help would be understood my the majority of people while having media in tow looks like she is profiting off her daughter..

It is all perspective.

Yes, I would think it would be somewhat comforting for her but we don't know - maybe she has a good friend that works for this media outlet? That would certainly be a plus - especially if her friend came with her. Maybe her DH knows someone in that media outlet? We just don't know - but I do think it was a smart move on her part to bring them with her - kinda like her own special bodyguards - KWIM?

There is the one reporter who interviewed her in Australia; sorry I can't remember his name without looking it up. Maybe he's one of those who came here with her? MOO

My point of view is that asking for help would be understood my the majority of people while having media in tow looks like she is profiting off her daughter..

It is all perspective.
While many would have been more than willing to help financially and get her here - her coming alone would have been possibly disastrous. With a media crew with her, she can safely get in and out of the hotel, get in and out of cars, go into places without 10 - 20 people running after her trying to stick a mic in her face. For the non-celebrity, it is tough being thrust into the spotlight in an instant and can also be very disturbing and maybe even scary. A media crew will help in keeping over zealous reporters at bay and will also be able to document any occurance or event where someone may "get out of line".

It is all perspective.
Well I can see her trusting local news crew then a total stranger who might have an agenda of their own. It is wise not to trust strangers and this Lady "Emily" had proven to be aware that there are a lot of people out there that doesn't have her or Zahra's best interest.

I believe the person who interviewed her in OZ, that was on the phone via NG, said that "I have no doubt what everything Emily stated was the truth"

It took a long time for her to come out in the media. I remember reading her post on the Hinky site and she clearly knew the circus involved in this case. She wanted to avoid that, because she stated she wanted the focus on to find Zahra not her. The guy who interviewed her gave her a compelling reason as to why she should come out to make a statement; therefore it is common sense to believe that this guy and his crew has shown respect and lived up to their promises with her, they gained her trust. You think NG or any other media has even attempted to do that? Exactly how can she even begin to trust a person overseas in a different country she never heard of but to post on a message board.

No she did the right thing!

You are right she won't let our crazy media around her- She traveled here with her own media from home and they are in control of her whereabouts- local media do not know where she is.
On the other hand I guess there is no need to worry about her needing help navigating things here- she has someone already looking out for her.

God Bless her for her loss-

It just rubs me the wrong way that she is traveling with her own media crew. (and I feel that way no matter who it is)

I can understand why you (and others) feel that way. But, I think that her reason for traveling with the media crew is not necessarily for the media part, but rather that they stepped forward and offered to: 1) cover all costs, 2) act as a liaison for US media, 3) provide emotional support (I'm sure they probably brought someone along with expertise in that area), 4) make all travel arrangements (remember, she is grieving), and 5) shield her from the public when she wants it.

I would have taken them up as well. Sure, they may get an exclusive on the story ($$$), but she gets a lot in return -- that she needed anyway -- as well.

I really don't see anything wrong with Australian media coming over with her - they were going to come whether she liked it or not. I'm not sure how heavy the coverage has been in Australia, but once Zahra's remains are found, the media will be all over it. We've already seen the speculation abound with what little info we have right now.

Whether Emily wanted them to come or not, they would have been here, if only just to cover her arrival in America. We don't even know for sure if she solicited them, or if this simply was a convergence of interests and they offered. I'm not going to judge her, since she's been very quiet since her arrival. If this were truly about parading herself in front of the media, we'd have seen a lot more of her before now.

Who is to say that the crew are not really media people but are traveling under the umbrella of media.

Just guessing, Red Cross? She needs to get the remains.

Right, there are many non-profits out there that can assist Emily while here in the States. I think it is very thoughtful of some of our posters wanting to help. Emily travelling with the Australian media will shield her from the US media and offer probably all costs with exclusive interviews.

Ah, they're Australian then, here's hoping it's 60 minutes...as opposed to 'Today Tonight' (save us) ... I just hope they're doing an intelligent report.

Is ABC well-respected Down Under, Mrs. G? I got the sense they were like our PBS (Public Broadcasting System), which generally doesn't fit the "media frenzy" model.

If I were a shop owner, or resturant owner in the NC area where ED is visiting, I would offer her a free meal, or fresh flowers, or just something that I had my power to ease her burden - even if only for a moment in time. I would want her to know that she is not to blame in this whole horrid mess and I would encourage others to offer random acts of kindness toward this poor grieving Mother - nothing extravagant - even a warm smile will help. Sadly, ED is the only family member of Zahra's that I have seen grieving for this beautiful angel.

I can't see how it is any of my business to speculate as to how or why ED decided to come with media in tow. If they paid her way, if they are giving her support, good for her!She needs all the help she can get.

JMO

I can understand why you (and others) feel that way. But, I think that her reason for traveling with the media crew is not necessarily for the media part, but rather that they stepped forward and offered to: 1) cover all costs, 2) act as a liaison for US media, 3) provide emotional support (I'm sure they probably brought someone along with expertise in that area), 4) make all travel arrangements (remember, she is grieving), and 5) shield her from the public when she wants it.

I would have taken them up as well. Sure, they may get an exclusive on the story ($$$), but she gets a lot in return -- that she needed anyway -- as well.

I agree with your thoughts.

IMO

Duck's ETA:

MAJOR APOLOGIES to everyone for my error in reporting the above

CORRECTION:
ED was told about the 'find' when she was at Hickory PD this afternoon . She is shattered but was expecting it. Hickory PD have not officially said they are human remains as they are waiting for scientific confirmation.

Here's the vid, under the title: Zahra Baker remains 'found' (1:18)

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national/

Frankly, how she chooses to conduct herself and who she chooses to associate herself with is her business. I've seen no evidence thus far that she is some kind of media *advertiser censored* looking for the spotlight or her 15 minutes, just a grieving mother caught up through no fault of her own in a horrendous situation. I also haven't seen any evidence that she is profitting in any way from this beyond her travel expenses, someone point me to a link if that's the case. Seems to me all the lady is guilty of is having smarts enough to know she's damned in some judgmental eyes whatever she does, so turning to the media for protection from the media has a sort of delicious irony and is the best thing she could do for herself.

My thoughts and sympathies are with her and I wish her all the best.

link to HM post by valhall 7:11:37
Emily getting great support, WONDERFUL!!! Thanks valhall !!
http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2010/1...-testing-of-evidence-expedited/#comment-92029

Here is Val's "backstory" about the media with Emily-
» Valhall said: { Nov 11, 2010 - 07:11:37 }
NG most likely will, is my opinion.

Here’s the back story. Emily is with the same reporter who interviewed her in Australia. And I’m glad for that because he seems to be taking her feelings into account and treating her with compassion.

NG’s staff contacted Emily for an interview. I was approached by someone who is close to Emily and kind of protective of her and asked what my opinion was. I probably don’t have to tell you what my opinion was. I do not know, and have not asked, if Emily decided to speak with NG or not. But I’m hoping she didn’t. And it is on the guess that Emily rejected NG’s request that I assume NG will treat her like crap. The good news is Emily won’t be there with her, or on the phone with her when she does it. And that’s a plus.

http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2010/1...-testing-of-evidence-expedited/#comment-91910

Here is Val's "backstory" about the media with Emily-
» Valhall said: { Nov 11, 2010 - 07:11:37 }
NG most likely will, is my opinion.

Here’s the back story. Emily is with the same reporter who interviewed her in Australia. And I’m glad for that because he seems to be taking her feelings into account and treating her with compassion.

NG’s staff contacted Emily for an interview. I was approached by someone who is close to Emily and kind of protective of her and asked what my opinion was. I probably don’t have to tell you what my opinion was. I do not know, and have not asked, if Emily decided to speak with NG or not. But I’m hoping she didn’t. And it is on the guess that Emily rejected NG’s request that I assume NG will treat her like crap. The good news is Emily won’t be there with her, or on the phone with her when she does it. And that’s a plus.

http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2010/1...-testing-of-evidence-expedited/#comment-91910

I wonder if Val would know if Emily actually got to go inside the house today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back